• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokemon Online?

Should we include Pokemon Online tournaments?

• Yes

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, whenever I've said "Shoddy" I, at least, have really just meant "simulators if enough people can get to them"; there were of course other differences, but the primary reason for favoring Shoddy over PNBS was that Shoddy actually worked on more operating systems. If PNBS were more widely supported (and okay, less buggy), I wouldn't have care which people used.

In other words, it makes absolutely no difference to me and there's no reason not to as long as enough people can actually use it.

Honestly, whenever I've said "Shoddy" I, at least, have really just meant "simulators if enough people can get to them"; there were of course other differences, but the primary reason for favoring Shoddy over PNBS was that Shoddy actually worked on more operating systems. If PNBS were more widely supported (and okay, less buggy), I wouldn't have care which people used.

In other words, it makes absolutely no difference to me and there's no reason not to as long as enough people can actually use it.

Firstly, the new PO works on Snow Leopard now without jumping through hoops, and secondly, what on earth do you mean shoddy is less buggy than PO?

We really ought to go for this, Kratos. I've almost never encountered a bug whilst running Pokemon Online, except when someone incites the bug themselves, by stressing the server, etc. PO offers a huge graphical improvement from Shoddy and Netbattle and is quite user friendly. If you're willing to host it, or find a host, then I think PO would be the right option for TCoD, and would offer a publicly accessible battleground for those who lack Wi-Fi.

We really ought to go for this, Kratos. I've almost never encountered a bug whilst running Pokemon Online, except when someone incites the bug themselves, by stressing the server, etc. PO offers a huge graphical improvement from Shoddy and Netbattle and is quite user friendly. If you're willing to host it, or find a host, then I think PO would be the right option for TCoD, and would offer a publicly accessible battleground for those who lack Wi-Fi.

I second this, tbh. It's a great idea not only because of those reasons above but because more or less everything competitive has moved over to PO. Last time I looked at Shoddy (which was ages ago, when most people started moving over to PO) there were like two hundred people on if you totalled all of the servers. And then last time I was at PO? Multiple servers were at their filling points, pushing two or three hundred people each and then tons of other servers ranged from anywhere like two or three people to fifty or sixty and greater. People for the most part like PO better, and there are tons more people/competition on PO as opposed to one of the older, more defunct programs like Shoddy/Netbattle. Plus PO is starting to cover stuff like 2nd and 3rd generation battling that Netbattle had to do before.

It's an easy install/uninstall and in my opinion it's pretty user-friendly. I mean, it's not hard to figure out how to do anything, really. So yeah, it'd be great if tCoD perhaps moved onto PO, in my opinion.

I'll see if I can work the server.

I kind of dislike PO because I had to compile it myself despite the fact that it actually bothered to have linux binaries, because who uses x64, but it doesn't really have much competition at the moment, does it?

edit: okay, I have one up, listed as "questionable hrml"; it probably works, but have fun trying to find people.

Last edited:
okay! server up at 108.72.202.186:5080 or hrml.cz.cc:5080, also listed in the registry as "questionable hrml"; sparsely (read: basically not) populated, but fully functional. basically runs blead from git sources; its reliability should not really be considered meaningful.

anyway, more usefully, have a linux x86 build while I have one lying around!

and also, 114.79.55.77 mysterious kids, stop trying to messing around, it's kind of irritating.

Last edited:
I don't currently have the ability to set up a server of my own, which is why we generally relied on official servers whenever we did sim-related stuff. If res is willing to host one, however, then by all means go ahead. Thanks, res.

And again, the only reason for preferring Shoddy was that it was more cross-OS than the other options available at the time, even if PO is more sophisticated. If more people are able to use PO going forward then there's no reason not to at this point.

If you guys are in need of a server, i bet i could get my good friends at NSM to extend a warm welcome to TCoD. Does that sound acceptable? :grin:

Oh. Well if there's anyone who's interested be sure to stop at our NinSheetMusic server! We're having an unofficial tournament tomorrow at 7pm CST/8pm EST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom