• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Forty Two (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Fan Club)

It is awesome. :D

Three guys in senior year at my school used quotes from the first book for the yearbook. It's just so full of win. One quoted "DON'T PANIC", another quoted the whale part.

hhh! Woooh! What's happening? Who am I? Why am I here? What's my purpose in life? What do I mean by who am I? Okay okay, calm down calm down get a grip now. Ooh, this is an interesting sensation. What is it? Its a sort of tingling in my... well I suppose I better start finding names for things. Lets call it a... tail! Yeah! Tail! And hey, what's this roaring sound, whooshing past what I'm suddenly gonna call my head? Wind! Is that a good name? It'll do. Yeah, this is really exciting. I'm dizzy with anticipation! Or is it the wind? There's an awful lot of that now isn't it? And what's this thing coming toward me very fast? So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like 'Ow', 'Ownge', 'Round', 'Ground'! That's it! Ground! Ha! I wonder if it'll be friends with me? Hello Ground!

I've read the rest of the series as well, very confusing yet amusing at the same time.

Meeeee! :D Has anyone else played the game? It's made of awesomesauce, I swear (but make good use of the hints they have on the site or you'll go mad.)

I have to say, I've only read the first one and a half books in the series. So far the whale part and the entire thing with the answer to "Life, the Universe, and Everything" are my favorites. I almost died when those occurred. Plus the thing with the bowl of petunias.

At school I regularly quote the passage:
"Oh, Deep Thought... we want you to tell us the Answer."

"The answer to what?"

The Answer to Life! The Universe! Everything! We'd really like an answer. Something simple."

"I'll have to think about that. Return to this place in exactly 7 1/2 million years."

"Deep Thought. Do you have-"

"-an answer for you? ...Yes, but you're not gonna like it."

"It doesn't matter, we must know it."

"All right. The Answer to the Ultimate Question...

...of Life, the Universe, and Everything...

...is...

...forty-two."

"42?!"

"Yes, yes, I thought it over quite thoroughly, it is, it's forty-two. It would have been simpler, of course, to know what the actual question was."

"But it was the Question- the Ultimate Question- of Everything!"

"That's not a question! Only when you know the Question will you know what the Answer means."

I love doing a British accent. :x

I love it. Especially... what was his name? Agrajagax or something? The guy that Arthur kept killing. He was hilarious.

I just have to say, the books get more and more confusing as you progress into the series. I found my self stopping occasionally in the last two books and going, "wait, wtf is going on?"

Agrajag was awesome. xD

Heh, my brother says when you get to the fourth book that's the point where you just have to stop trying to make sense of the plot and just read from joke to joke.

I'll join too! I've read them all twice. My favourite bits are probably... most of 1-3 and the Perfectly Normal Beasts in book 5.

Back
Top Bottom