• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Georgia public schools to offer Bible elective

Ah, yes, I simply scribble out the god bit on the money with pen, and being a Satanist, replace it with 'Satan'
And I REFUSE to do the pledge!

Also, about the Bible class, I think that is OK, but they should be required to make classes for the other religions too.

I don't care what religion you are, believe what you like, and don't be mean to people just because of their beliefs.

hurr hurr gooday~

are we suppose to take you seriously like we did in the AIDS thread?

also as other people said Satanism is not only/always worshiping Satan

About the pledge: we aren't required to say it; we are required to stand as a sign of respect

are we suppose to take you seriously like we did in the AIDS thread?

also as other people said Satanism is not only/always worshiping Satan

About the pledge: we aren't required to say it; we are required to stand as a sign of respect

Shut up about the AIDS thing, I was out of my head then, now that I am on crazy pills I no longer feel that way. Hurrhuurr

Shut up about the AIDS thing, I was out of my head then, now that I am on crazy pills I no longer feel that way. Hurrhuurr

shut up? you're the one who should've stopped posting utter bullshit in that thread

oh wait you were "making it up"

This is me being an utter moron here, but.... pledge? Pledge to what? Is it like a national anthem or something?

You USians have so many weird patriotic songs I can't keep track of them. "God Bless America", "We Shall Overcome", "America the Beautiful", "Stars and Stripes Forever" and more I can't think of off the top of my head.

I don't think I know anyone who knows the British national anthem, which is a rather silly song anyways. God Save the Queen - from what, exactly?

^The Plague.

The Pledge of Alliegence is something that's mostly said in schools, like a promise to be loyal to America sort of thing. I don't say it, but not because I hate America or anything. I don't believe in the god specified in the Pledge, and I feel weird saying it and leaving out a line (it bothers me) so I don't say it. I stand up, though, out of repsect.

GW: Stop bothering Ice Tiger.

This is me being an utter moron here, but.... pledge? Pledge to what? Is it like a national anthem or something?

You USians have so many weird patriotic songs I can't keep track of them. "God Bless America", "We Shall Overcome", "America the Beautiful", "Stars and Stripes Forever" and more I can't think of off the top of my head.

I don't think I know anyone who knows the British national anthem, which is a rather silly song anyways. God Save the Queen - from what, exactly?

Me. In fact, besides my own, I know the national anthems of Britain, America, Australia, Singapore, South Africa, Zambia, and Tanzania, (okay, those last three share the same one. No, seriously, Google or Wiki it.) as well as the tunes for France, Spain, Mexico, Germany, Italy, New Zealand, Japan, China, Canada, and part of Ireland's and Brazil's.

(inbeforegeek/nerd/nolife)

Anyway, it's not that bad, just hopefully, the teachers won't be biased.

Basically, it's like we take an oath every morning. It's quite silly, because we're totally free to move out of the country, so. Whatever.

Anyways, it depends what mood I'm in [saying the pledge]. On good days, I say it but replace "God" with "Odin" or some other awesome deity. Bad days, I just don't say anything. *shrug*

Ugh what's wrong with saying 'under god' in your pledge. It's for the sake of tradition and shit. The Portuguese pledge also says stuff like 'to your weapons! To your weapons! For the country we must fight' and then lots of stuff about canons and things.
My country has done nothing important militarily in the last fifty-hundred years (least of all to protect our country because there's no reason for anyone to attack it) and I'm against violence but I'm not all 'FFF STICK YOUR CANONS UP YOUR ASS 'THE MAN' *edgy comment*'
It's just an anthem. It's supposed to be ridiculously patriotic. I mean I stand up to show respect but I don't put my hand over my heart or anything either (apparently a great crime in America?).

Good idea, so long as it's optional.

However, if they're doing this, they might as well go for a Religious Studies electives set, with Islam, Judaism, Buddhism and Hinduism as subsets.

Ugh what's wrong with saying 'under god' in your pledge. It's for the sake of tradition and shit.
I think in this case it's notable that the original version of the pledge did NOT have "under God" in it (as mentioned by someone else, that bit was added in 1954), so if you really want to be "traditional" then I'd imagine reciting the original version would be more suitable.

I personally do not see the point of reciting the pledge of allegiance at all. It doesn't mean anything to anybody anymore; it's just something you memorize and then chant every morning. Waste of time and energy if you ask me.

I mean I stand up to show respect but I don't put my hand over my heart or anything either (apparently a great crime in America?).

Punishable by death. >>

I think in this case it's notable that the original version of the pledge did NOT have "under God" in it (as mentioned by someone else, that bit was added in 1954), so if you really want to be "traditional" then I'd imagine reciting the original version would be more suitable.

I personally do not see the point of reciting the pledge of allegiance at all. It doesn't mean anything to anybody anymore; it's just something you memorize and then chant every morning. Waste of time and energy if you ask me.

Hurrhurr. Agree completely with you there. I just say it with my fingers crossed, or not say it at all.

When I first came to america and had to do the pledge, I had no idea what the other students were muttering about. I couldn't understand much english back then, either, so I actually learned how to say the pledge before I knew its meaning.

I sometimes replace the "under God" with "under the FSM", but soon stopped because that's too many syllables, and it's too hard to say.

But, um, on topic now, a class teaching about the influences of the bible would be cool. I mean, the Bible does have a lot of interesting stories and stuff, and the stories are used in the US quite often, too. The only problem is the Georgia part; I don't really believe that a class in Georgia would not preach to their students about the almighty god and whatnot.

I don't say the pledge, I just stand up. Something about standing up is a way of showing respect for all the soldiers who died for the country. Right...

Anyways it should be fine as long as they do it from an educational standpoint and don't try to push Christianity on anyone.

Back
Top Bottom