• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Gen VII Zodiac ideas?

Rot8er_ConeX

Pronoun
he
So I recently remembered the Pokemon Zodiac, one of the two things that led me originally to this site (the other being the ball calculation formula). And I noticed that the Gen VI Zodiac is the most perfect one since the original, maybe even more so since the number of legendaries equaled the number of weeks in the year.

Sadly, Game Freak did not see fit to end the series on such perfection, and released a seventh generation. Not that I'm actually complaining. Gen VII brought with it what are now two of my four favorite Pokemon. And with it, they brought out a whole slew of problems for the zodiac, most notably: There are now more Pokemon families than there are days in the year, and Pokemon can't really be grouped any tighter.

I have thought of a few solutions, but of course the final say goes to Butterfree or whoever controls the Zodiac.

1.) Legendaries have groups of days, do they need an actual day as well? Removing legendaries brings Gen VI's numbers to 365-53=312. Adding in Gen VII's 34 non-legendary families, we are brought to 346 days. From here, the ideas branch:

Scenario A

2.) Ultra Beasts are not technically legendaries. Throwing in the seven Ultra Beasts brings us to 353 days.

3.) Alolan Forms are basically a new Pokemon. Adding in the 7 Alolan Form families (Alolan Raichu, Exeggutor, and Marowak don't count as they are just a branched evolution) brings us to 360 days.

4.) We are now left with five days. Traditionally, there are five elements - Earth, Water, Fire, Wind/Air, and Void/Spirit. That last one is not part of the Zodiac as far as I know, but there's a first time for everything.

5.) Now we have 53+12=65 legendaries. 365/65 is somewhere between 5 and 6. If we give each Legendary 6 days and each Mythical 5 days, that brings the total number of days to 372 - 7 more than we need. However, Cosmog and Cosmoem are pre-evolutions of legendaries and therefore should get fewer days. Decreasing each of their reigns to 3 days brings us to 366 days - the number of days in a Leap Year. For non Leap Years, make one day jointly owned by Solgaleo and Lunala, as they are evolutions of the same thing.

Scenario A summary:
- Non-legendary families each get a day of the year.
- Ultra Beasts each get a day of the year
- Alolan Forms families each get a day of the year
- The remaining five days of the year each go to an element, and would start off a season
-- Each Mythical Pokemon would get a reign of 5 days
-- Cosmog and Cosmoem would each get a reign of 3 days
-- On Leap Years, Solgaleo and Lunala would each have a reign of 6 days. On other years, they'd each have a reign of 5.5 days.
-- All other Legendaries would get a reign of 6 days.

Scenario B

2.) There are, at this time, 17 Mythical Pokemon. Prior to this point, the Zodiac has considered Mythicals and Legendaries the same thing, but *shrug*. Demoting the Mythicals to non-legendary status and giving them each back a day would bring our total to 363 days.

3.) Adding in Cosmog and Cosmoem brings the total to the coveted 365 days exactly. Type: Null can be added to the list for Leap Years.

4.) 38 (non-Mythical Legendaries prior to Gen VII) + 7 (Tapus and Box legends) = 45 true Legendaries. 8*45=360, five days short of a full year. Give these five days to the Reign of Man, and fill them with the Pokemon created by man: the Porygon family, Genesect, Magearna, Mewtwo, and then the Skiddo family as it was the first Pokemon to befriend humans.

5.) This leaves out the seven Ultra Beasts. But...there's seven days of the week. Name each day of the week after an Ultra Beast - UBs don't come from standard reality, and the concept of a week is a seemingly-arbitrary concept.

Summary of Scenario B
- Non-legendary families each get a day of the year
- Mythical Pokemon each get a day of the year
- Cosmog and Cosmoem each get a day of the year
-- Each remaining Legendary gets a reign of 8 days
-- Man gets a reign of 5 days
--- Each Ultra Beast gets a day of the week

Scenario C

2.) There are, at this time, 17 Mythical Pokemon. Prior to this point, the Zodiac has considered Mythicals and Legendaries the same thing, but *shrug*. Demoting the Mythicals to non-legendary status and giving them each back a day would bring our total to 363 days.

3.) Adding in Cosmog and Cosmoem brings the total to the coveted 365 days exactly. Type: Null can be added to the list for Leap Years.

4.) 38 (non-Mythical Legendaries prior to Gen VII) + 7 (Tapus and Box legends) = 45 true Legendaries. Add in the seven Ultra Beasts, and you get the number 53, same as the number of legendaries there were before in Gen VI.

Summary of Scenario C
- Non-legendary families each get a day of the year
- Mythical Pokemon each get a day of the year
- Cosmog and Cosmoem each get a day of the year
-- Each remaining Legendary gets a reign of one week
-- Each Ultra Beast gets a reign of one week

I feel like these are all viable options and have their own ups and downs.
Scenario A-
Maybe instead of the traditional four elements and adding in void/spirit maybe the zodiac could include the three starter types (Fire, Water, and Grass) and either
1. light and dark- just some basic elements
2.other types- you could use conflicting types or more common types.
3. Lunala and Solgaleo- In honor of the new games name the seasons after the cover legendaries
Another idea for the seasons is name the first 4 seasons after the Tapu's and the last one after Lunala and Solgaleo.
Scenario B-
I like the idea of each UB having a day of the week. How would necrozoma factor in though?
Scenario C-
This scenario keeps the format well and I feel like this one could be the actual Zodiac. UBs play a huge roll in SM and deserve their own weeks

I really like your ideas for the new Zodiac though!

Another idea for the seasons is name the first 4 seasons after the Tapu's and the last one after Lunala and Solgaleo.
Or name them after the islands in Alola, with the fifth season named Aether after Aether Paradise.

Or the Tapus and Cosmog, the entity the Tapus protect.

Scenario B-
I like the idea of each UB having a day of the week. How would necrozoma factor in though?

Necrozma, like Solgaleo and Lunala, is considered a Legendary, not an Ultra Beast. As such, it doesn't get a day of the week, and instead gets a reign of six days.

Or name them after the islands in Alola, with the fifth season named Aether after Aether Paradise.

Or the Tapus and Cosmog, the entity the Tapus protect.

Necrozma, like Solgaleo and Lunala, is considered a Legendary, not an Ultra Beast. As such, it doesn't get a day of the week, and instead gets a reign of six days.

Those are also good ideas. I really hope that the gen 7 zodiac is released soon!
(Although I do have Absol as mine so...)

Last edited:
These are some pretty great and well-thought-out ideas... I do have a couple nitpicks with them though.

First thing I've gotta ask; what are you counting Phione as? A legendary, Mythical, or regular Pokemon?

Scenario A:
-I never really liked the concept of using a day to start of the season. People like to use the Zodiac to look up the Pokemon that corresponds to their birthday. So imagine if you looked up your birthday to find its "the Day of Air" or the "the Day of Water"... kind of a buzzkill for any Pokemon fan whose birthday is on that day, no? Instead, maybe it could be "the Day of the Fire Legends", or "the Day of the Earth Legends", and make it correspond to all the legendaries+mythicals that are within a season.
-Instead of Season of the Spirit, it should probably be Season of the Mind, as that is the 5th season in the zodiac...
-I like the idea of Solgaleo and Lunala sharing a day... but I have a couple of questions with it. For instance, why those two specifically? There are other legendary pairs that could also take it. But if you have a valid reason for it, then thats fine. Second, since the shared day spot is pretty abnormal, which Pokemon family where you planning to take that coveted spot?

Scenario B:
-Mythical Pokemon, in my opinion, shouldn't get just a day. They're even rarer than legendaries, and they only get a day? Legendaries get their own reign, so this doesn't seem quite right.
-Man shouldn't really get its own reign. Don't get me wrong, I think its a cool idea, but like I mentioned above, this is about Pokemon. Man getting a reign along with all the other legendaries is a bit strange, and, considering this is Pokemon, a bit pompous. So instead of man, why not just kill 2 birds with one stone, and make it the Mythical reign? Its just like it says; all the Mythicals share a reign. And the Pokemon in the reign could be all the Pokemon that are on the gray area between legendary and Pokemon, this being Phione, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Type: Null, and Silvally. The leap year spot taken by Null could be taken by Porygon, since its the only man-made Pokemon that isn't a legendary... but thats my opinion.
-I'm on the fence about Cosmog and Cosmoem getting just a day. On one hand, they are legendaries according to the game, and should probably be used as such... but on the other hand, anyone who would use them in battle as a legendary is only fooling themselves. Same with the UBs for days of the week. On one hand, that would be hard to implement in, and would be hard to implement on the little picture that pops up when you put in your date... and yet, they're different from all the other Pokemon we know, and I think this is a really great and innovative way of showing that. Ultimately, I guess I'm fine either way.

Scenario C:
-Pretty much the same issues as with scenario B, since you carried most of that stuff over to C, except I liked your scenario B plan with the UBs better than on what you did here.

Overall, though, I think you have some really cool ideas for the Zodiac, and I, for one, hope they get implemented in some way shape or form. But its like you said; in the end, Butterfree has the final say in the end as to how the zodiac looks, so I guess we can just wait and see.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking an interest in the Zodiac! However, I'm afraid I prefer to work this out for myself, and I really don't want to steal anyone's ideas, so I've deliberately avoided reading your suggestions for now; maybe when I've made the new Zodiac we can compare. :P

Back
Top Bottom