• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Deletions, overlong threads

Butterfree

Still loves Joltik, though!
Staff member
Heartache staff
Pronoun
she/her
I've just deleted a few overlong (3000+ posts) threads in this forum, which may have been part of the reason for all the 500 errors we've been having: "You're Banned (part 2)", "Caption the Avatar Above You" and "The Association Game". Feel free to restart them. From now on, please restart all game threads if they go over 3000 posts, and preferably earlier than that.

I think this is the 500 errors:

Route50.net said:
+
Unscheduled downtime (0 posts)
By Kat, Sat at 11:24am
Sorry guys, the site's been experiencing some severe lag, downtime, and fatal errors. It seems to be returning to normal slowly but please sit tight as it (hopefully) recovers.

They are the forums' host after all.

Still, threads with more than 3000 posts are ridiculously long, and still contribute to forum slowdown, we've had problems like this before. There's no harm in deleting long threads.

So, mods are going to delete the closed threads too? They were free up some space if they were gone, too. Like the 'Lie About The Poster Above' thread, it was closed and it has close to 3,000 posts in it.

I closed it a bit ago.

It's not that the threads take up a lot of space. It's just slow to view or post in long threads and it ties up the server for a bit.

I think this is the 500 errors:

They are the forums' host after all.
Yes, and the lag, downtime and fatal errors were because these forums are a memory hog. Kat e-mailed the host about it and they explicitly went "uh, yeah, that forum you're running over there has ridiculously long threads that take like five minutes to query, you might want to prune some of that stuff".

Deleting helps a little more in that it altogether prevents people from viewing the thread and removes them from search results for regular users, but otherwise, yeah, those are probably fine being closed.

Last edited:
I think we can live without the first 4 or so pages of stuff. The 'You're Banned' game on the LASt paged has nearly FIVE THOUSAND replies. I think It might need to go...

Back
Top Bottom