• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What does the term 'Hero' mean to you?

Zexion

All the right shades, on the wrong page.
Pronoun
he
By the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, a hero is:

1 a : a mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability b : an illustrious warrior c : a man admired for his achievements and noble qualities d : one who shows great courage

a : the principal male character in a literary or dramatic work b : the central figure in an event, period, or movement

plural usually he·ros : submarine 2

an object of extreme admiration and devotion : idol

To me, a hero is more then any of this. A hero is someone who will stand up for whatever they believe in, no matter what obstacles and opposition stand in their way. A hero also is not afraid to help those around them, no matter what cultural or moral barriers stand in the way. A hero is a person that will do what he/she can, when he/she can.

I am just really curious of what us here on TCoDf think a 'Hero' is. Feel free to reply or not, I am just curious.

Hmm, I'd say I'd define a hero a martyr of sorts! Maybe not necessarily with their life, but stuff of importance to them! Like their reputation! Basically someone who does nice stuff just because its right thing to do? So an altruistic martyr, I suppose.

Ooooor! Someone who wears spandex and breaks the laws of physics in their spare time!

Last edited:
Hmm, I'd say I'd define a hero a martyr of sorts! Maybe not necessarily with their life, but stuff of importance to them! Like their reputation! Basically someone who does nice stuff just because its right thing to do? So an altruistic martyr, I suppose.

I guess I agree with this. Someone who does what's right even if it is disadvantageous to themselves.

My mind can't decide whether I'd consider, say, someone who buys a child who just dropped an ice cream another one less of a hero than someone who risks their life to get someone out of the way of a moving train.
Because while one is clearly more heroic and more is risked, I don't particularly want to make it out as if the smaller things like that are any less significant.

Ooooor! Someone who wear spandex and breaks the laws of physics in their spare time!
Batman doesn't need to break the laws of physics, he's that awesome.
Also he gives to charity a lot I suppose.

AMERICA
(sorry I had to)

To me, a hero is someone who has done something good no matter the consequences. Somebody you look up to because of that.
so pretty much what Spoon said

In my opinion? Somebody who saved a life or lives. They're actions don't have to be astounding, it could be obeying or disobeying orders, like the Russian dude who refused to obey the order to nike america and start ww3

Fuck heroes. Everyone's flawed, the fact they saved a life or five doesn't mean they're automatically good people. They could be good people but they would have been anyway and there's no need to put anyone on a pedestal.

Heroes are cliche and it brings me out of stories so much when protagonists are mentioned as "heroes".

It's okay when used in speech, though, if it's not used in this corny sense.

calling someone a hero seems like the cheesiest most clichéd way to talk about someone. If they've done something great, talk about those things - call them generous or thoughtful or interesting! Calling someone a hero is like calling chocolate cake a food - like, well yeah, chocolate cake is a food, and food is kinda good, but it doesn't exude what's good about it or why it's good.

like unless you're talking about superheroes, 'hero' just seems like a lazy way to describe someone, and it also presupposes that they've done a universally good thing, which is probably not the case. "thumbs down with a fart noise" is basically how I feel about the term 'hero'.

But ultraviolet you're my hero! Q~Q

When I think of the term 'hero', my mind immideately jumps to two things. The first is your stereotypical comic-book superhumans. Kind of boring, I realise. That said I did watch the X-men animated series religiously, plus a couple of other animated versions of our favourite comic book heroes as a kid, so it's not surprising either.

Secondly, I think of that corny but almost flatteringly cute 'local hero' figure. I'd guess it were just something for kids, to make them aware of the slightly more realistic side of why aspiring to be 'heroic' is a good thing by slightly idolising 'altruistic' jobs which help with the community. Just remembering a poster in my primary school with said figures running around a very catastrophic looking city and helping everyone in sight. :')

Oh my god, you guys are such downers. Cheer up jesus lord on a stick it's just a word

I like to use the word 'hero' when someone tall gets something down from a shelf for me. Sometimes I flutter my eyelashes and just pass out right there!

I think it's okay to call someone "heroic" for doing something selfless or altruistic, but to call them a "hero" is kind of silly. The term has been very watered down.

Yes, you are a demigod for giving me a bite of your pizza :/

Oh my god, you guys are such downers. Cheer up jesus lord on a stick it's just a word

I like to use the word 'hero' when someone tall gets something down from a shelf for me. Sometimes I flutter my eyelashes and just pass out right there!

I just sigh and go "not again Mum"

Everyone's a hero in their own way. Everyone's got villains they must face. They're not as cool as mine, but folks, you know it's fine to know your place! Everyone's a hero in their own way, in their own not-that-heroic way.

Everyone’s a hero in their own way, everyone’s got something they can do. Get up, go out and fly, especially that guy – he smells like poo. Everyone’s a hero in their own way, you and you and mostly me and you.

Eh...I'm not too keen about the term "hero" in the corny sense. If anythng, I would just like a nice hearty thank-you and the feeling that I did something absolutely kind and considerate. I want to think more of people being heroic, not being actual "heroes." (stares at anime grudgingly)

I feel like 'hero' isn't a Word to be Used in this day and age.

Unless someone, y'know, runs into a burning building to save your kid. Then that's perfectly fine.

Back
Top Bottom