• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Platinum/HGSS battle tower

I only have two more things to do to fully 100% complete Platinum: Get a Gold on the battle factory (which should be fun ._.) and a 100-streak on the Tower. Then I'll have 900+ hours of play time but an accomplishment I can brag about forever :D

Does the Frontier even count towards 100% completion? It's quite frustrating to do without a team built to exploit the AI. I personally prefer the PWT in B2W2.

I think that's only in D/P. Don't quote me on that, though.

EDIT: er, never mind. It is get a streak of 100.

mkay

well

i got a 100 streak.

Spent a lot of time studying the strategies on the Smogon page that Negrek linked to earlier. Tried to find some teams that I could do that wouldn't require the use of legendaries. I did have a Latias with above-average defenses and a Modest nature (which, while it could be better, at least doesn't hinder one of the defenses or speed!) and a low Speed stat, and a Timid Latios with a very high Special Attack but low defensive stats. Mesprit, Uxie and Cresselia were rather unimpressive - Uxie had awful defenses (I would have asked for my boyfriend's Bold Uxie with a 31 IV in one of the defenses... except his brother had started the game over only a few days before) and Mesprit, while having high defenses and HP, had an awful Speed. Cresselia was just overall crappy.

The reason I looked into these five is because four of them (excluding Latios) were used as successful Trick leads to carry people over the 100-win mark and onward to numbers like 1000 and 2000. I was planning on playing around with a non-legend team if none of these four did it for me, and none of them did. Cementing that, a good second Pokémon with a Psychic as a lead would be Registeel, like the second-highest streak used - only mine had awful IV's in everything that mattered. So that was out and I was back to looking into non-legend teams.

I narrowed it down to two: a beat-em-up Flygon/Scizor/Starmie team and a Trick Spiritomb/Snorlax/Salamence. I made plans with Nobody to trade for the latter, but the plans fell through due to bad luck. And again I had no ideas for what to do, and certainly not the patience to breed for one of these teams.

But, I realized, I haven't caught Registeel in my Emerald file yet. If I can snag a decent Registeel and some sort of good Psychic Trick lead, I could have a shot at success. I looked into RNG abuse, a field which I've never touched before now, and found that only 11 minutes in to Emerald I could encounter a Careful Registeel with even higher defensive IV's than the one in the second-highest streak! I studied hard and went to reset for a Registeel, somehow snagging the one I was going for on only my eighth try. I EV trained it and imported it to Platinum. This was last Friday, the 12th.

Then there was the matter of the Psychic Trick lead. Owing to the nature of Registeel and Garchomp (my planned third Pokémon, since I already had one from blazhy with perfect Attack and Speed IV's and a lot of the top streaks used a Garchomp in addition to their Trick lead and defensive setup mon), I wanted something with Levitate - the pixies, Cresselia and the Latis were the only ones I could really think of off the top of my head that met this description and were easily enough accessible.

I already caught Mesprit, Uxie and Cresselia in both Platinum and Pearl. None of them were very remarkable. I hadn't caught Latios in SoulSilver or Latias in Emerald, but I also knew I couldn't fuck with their stats because they'd already been released, so RNG'ing for Emerald Latias was out, and no way in hell was I going to restart. But... my boyfriend had just beaten the E4 in HeartGold. Like, literally, he'd /just/ beaten them when I was thinking through all this. He texted me that he beat Lance and my response was to call him and tell him "DON'T GO INTO THE POKEMON FANCLUB!" I had plans to have him RNG for Latias - he agreed to do it, after all. I would have done it myself except I didn't have access to any Latias except the one in Emerald which I couldn't change the stats of.

Only two days ago, I sent a long email to my boyfriend in the hopes of simplifying RNG abuse for him (he's extremely smart but was still confounded by my explanation of RNG abuse) and how that would apply to him and his attempts to catch Latias. He doesn't have much time to attempt it, though, being busy with trying to beat the rest of Kanto and marching band and work.

So yesterday, I decided "The IV's of my Latias aren't that important, are they? I mean as long as it's fast enough to get off a Trick, then whatever happens next is irrelevant, because either way Registeel or Garchomp can still set up on the move." So I toyed around with some potential EV spreads for the Latias I did have and realized that I could still boost its speed high enough to match that of the second-place streak's Latias - my defenses would take a heavy hit from it, but again, all that matters is that I get off a Trick; if I survive, great, Thunder Wave or Charm! If not, switch to Registeel or Garchomp and proceed accordingly.

So I spent yesterday EV training Latias. I somehow managed to lose a few points in its Speed through my training and gained a few HP points, but I figured it wouldn't matter because I wasn't going for 2000 battles, only 100. So I left it and then fixed up the team's movesets.

Then I went for the Battle Tower. The first 35 matches I took care of with my Starmie/Lucario/Garchomp team and then swapped out for the Trick team.

First streak lost around match 53 to I don't even remember what.
Second streak lost this morning around match 53 again to a Staraptor I dealt with the wrong way and ended with my Garchomp facing down a Choice Band Avalanche Swampert... yeah, that was going to end in disaster.
Third streak I finished about an hour ago. Got 105 battles.

Finally made it after almost three years.

Back
Top Bottom