• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

On Reputation, or Why No One Should Take Me Seriously At All Ever

surskitty

「にがいのは いやだ」って…
Pronoun
they
~*STORY TIME*~

A long time ago in a TCoD FAR, FAR AWAY, there was this neat fiddly feature called reputation. For a while, it was used all of ... effectively never. And then Butterfree? was like SUP LET'S MAKE THIS AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE. And it was good.

Only I, as always, had a small group of cohorts who, like me, typically got very angry at people for stupid reasons and would forget it after about a week.

There was also a really awful spriter called AgentChronon.

Now, someone who shall remain nameless was like HM I THINK I WANT TO LOWER THEIR REP BY A LOT POINTLESSLY. Which was all fine and dandy as far as I was concerned! (I am not exactly the most moral forum member.) Only you can't fiddle with the same person's rep twice in a row. You would need to fiddle with two other people's rep before you could mess with theirs.

In a move that made complete sense afaic, e decided to raise my rep, lower his rep, and do something to $person3's rep to give the awful spriter possibly the lowest reputation on the board. (Said awful spriter was also an asshole so it's okay I guess.) This also gave me the highest rep on the board.

And so, I went on a quest to obtain the most tiny green boxes possible! And found out that after you got like ten boxes, you would get a BRIGHT GREEN BOX. And the title "Glorious Pillar of Light" or something stupid like that.

The problem with this is that fiddling with reputation scales with the person's rep. So if I pressed the button at all, it would either raise rep by around 500 points (this is a lot) or lower by 250.

Cue wank. There was an option to HIDE YOUR REP which was all well and good except that the only people who ever did this had negative rep. (Usually this was because I pressed a button. Occasionally it was because $lab_assistant pressed a button. Sometimes this was because someone actually was annoying and deserved it! ... but usually it was because I am a cruel and vengeful god.)

As far as I'm concerned, this was all completely hilarious and I was very sad when it vanished. (MY BOXES!!) I am possibly the most biased person out there.

So #tcod now has a karma feature! Which made me think of rep.

Reputation was totally awesome, yes? Or at least it was totally awesome for my posse and pretty awesome for bystanders and awful for the people who actually took it seriously who I pressed the red button at instead of the green one.

ANYONE ELSE WANT IT BACK 8D I promise that in the event rep returns, I will ... actually I'll probably abuse it again haha. But this time everyone would know I AM THE MOST AWESOME or possibly the moderator who breaks things the most often. (HOWEVER I AM TRUSTWORTHY WITH MOD POWERS ALMOST ALWAYS I SWEAR)

HOORAY let's add rep back! iirc I have pretty awesome rep too, but not as awesome as surskitty's :( no one's was that awesome

also what, we have karma in #tcod now :( damn I'm going to have bad karma like all the time D:

I would like to see it back, simply because the drama that stemmed from it was incredible - though this wouldn't be a good point in the eyes of an admin.

Also, certain aspects of the first post made me laugh a lot and also feel a little awkward. A few enlightened individuals may know why.

As much as I like reputation programs (mainly so I can lower my own to the point where I'm the most hated person on the forum), I'm going to have to say no. About a week ago there was a massive backlash on the Pokemon Acanthite forums with the rep system at the center of it.

Plus, there are plenty of noobs who find the size of your penis to be directly proportional to your rep, so yeah

Well you can't say it wasn't kinda funny how silly surskitty is!

... She's the boke of our manzai :(

The karma feature sounds interesting enough, so I'll try it sometime. Though, truthfully, reputation systems never turn out good for this very reason- Biasing, obnoxiousness, and just generally people being stupid. :/ But, hey, if we get green boxes...

Last edited:
I don't need an army of red or green boxes to tell me what someone's reputation is.

In other words, is there really a point to the rep system other than getting pretty little boxes by your user info.

Last edited:
That was supposed to make me want to bring it back?
No. Not at all. It's more of a "hm most people don't know the story huh" kind of thing.
Well you can't say it wasn't kinda funny how silly surskitty is!

... She's the boke of our manzai :(
I am best ever.
The karma feature sounds interesting enough, so I'll try it sometime. Though, truthfully, reputation systems never turn out good for this very reason- Biasing, obnoxiousness, and just generally people being stupid. :/ But, hey, if we get green boxes...
It took #tcod's karma thing all of about ten seconds to be abused. 8D And it wasn't even me this time! Who would have known?
It was a brilliant tactic, I think, but too subtle and sadly ahead of its time.
Damn straight. Or possibly bi.
Would never work.
No way, really?
I don't need an army of red or green boxes to tell me what someone's reputation is.

In other words, is there really a point to the rep system other than getting pretty little boxes by your user info.
That is part of why it was a stupid idea to start with and got a lot worse once I became a dark and vengeful god of reputation. It's also completely pointless. (This is probably why I am a shining example of WHY TCOD USUALLY CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS: I am really awful to trust with anything pointless. I can remember that power abuse for things I have more power than normal people for is wrong but if anyone could do it and I get stupid things that I can quest for? Yeaaaaaaaah.)

So what did you want to accomplish with this thread? o.o You want reputation back, which I'm not totally opposed to, but all you've done is list reasons why it wouldn't work.

I'd like it back. But then I tend to like drama, so :B

and anyway if people in particular don't like it there could always be a 'hide rep' option or something. anyway I can't see people being obnoxious and causing drama about it apart from people who are obnoxious or cause lots of drama anyway. I don't know. I like to press silly buttons, I guess.

So what did you want to accomplish with this thread? o.o You want reputation back, which I'm not totally opposed to, but all you've done is list reasons why it wouldn't work.
I want it back for entirely petty reasons and don't want it to actually function properly. Maybe it'd function well on a larger forum, but not here.

So basically I just want little boxes below my name.
I'd like it back. But then I tend to like drama, so :B

and anyway if people in particular don't like it there could always be a 'hide rep' option or something. anyway I can't see people being obnoxious and causing drama about it apart from people who are obnoxious or cause lots of drama anyway. I don't know. I like to press silly buttons, I guess.
I also like silly buttons! ... And breaking things.

Back
Top Bottom