• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

I'm vaguely interested in metal but I don't really know where to start

Some of my preferred metal bands;

System of a Down, Scars on Broadway, Serj Tankian, Outcry Collective, Avenged Sevenfold, Cancer Bats, Linkin Park, KoRn, Slipknot, Papa Roach, Rammestein, Marilyn Manson, Bring Me the Horizon, Rolo Tomassi, Metallica, Trivium, Satyricon, Amon Amarth, Alexisonfire, Black Lungs and Wolverine.
I did you a favor and crossed out all of the bands that aren't metal.

Is it possible for people to be this stupid?

Rammstein most certainly aren't metal in the traditional sense... they follow some of the artistic conventions, but they are, at their heart, neue deutsche härte - which is an offshoot of electronic music, not metal.

But yeah, I see where you're coming from, and I guess they're heavy enough to be called "metal", but... it's just a pet peeve.

Iono, they call themselves Tanzmetall (German for dance metal), and I always qualify them as industrial metal (industrial being the electronic genre, and then metal). I always thought they just married both, so I considered them metal as well as industrial.

Neue deutsche härte itself isn't metal, but the thing that really confuses people (including myself) is when bands like Rammstein and Oomph! add metal elements to it. But bands like L'Âme Immortelle, ASP, Letzte Instanz, etc. aren't metal.

Neue deutsche härte itself isn't metal, but the thing that really confuses people (including myself) is when bands like Rammstein and Oomph! add metal elements to it. But bands like L'Âme Immortelle, ASP, Letzte Instanz, etc. aren't metal.

No no, I agree, but Rammstein clearly are very metal-influenced, and so are Pain (industrial metal project of Peter Tagtgren, which I am incidentally gonna see this Friday)

It's not a matter of having "expertise" or not. Those bands simply don't sound metal in any sense of the word - to the point where it's plainly obvious.

It's not a matter of having "expertise" or not. Those bands simply don't sound metal in any sense of the word - to the point where it's plainly obvious.
Well, yes, it may be plainly obvious to someone who, like you, is well-acquainted with the metal genre and takes music seriously. But I wouldn't accuse anyone of being stupid for considering Avenged Sevenfold and Slipknot metal.

cause they play on a shit day in a shit place which I can't reach quickly enough. i am finished at like 17:30 and the gig starts at 7 and I need to travel like an hour to get there and eat in the meanwhile

and the openers are Obituary, Keep of Kalessin and Legion of the Damned so there's no reason to miss out really.

that and I already have seen Amon Amarth when they opened for Slayer a while back.

I did you a favor and crossed out all of the bands that aren't metal.

Is it possible for people to be this stupid?

Try distracted. I was a bit busy with some significantly more important things and I started confusing similar genres. And System are metal imho.

Try distracted. I was a bit busy with some significantly more important things and I started confusing similar genres. And System are metal imho.
This reeks of pathetic excuse. Why not just admit that you aren't quite sure of the exact boundaries between "metal" and "hard rock"? There's no shame in that...

Back
Top Bottom