• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Fashion sense

i do care a bit about my appearance. i've accumulated a ton of stuff from various places over the years (urban outfitters, american apparel, and thrift stores, mostly), and i like to be careful about how i present myself. a ton of people i used to know emphasized their appearance a lot and ended up being somewhat snobby about it ("why are mexicans shopping at hollister??"). i don't generally look towards one's fashion sense to decide how good a person they are; whether we like it or not, though, how one dresses does play a big factor in how one can be perceived. so i try to present myself in a way that is indicative of me to other people. this generally constitutes my reasons for trying to keep myself in good condition. i also have recently discovered that i love good design, and so i do pay attention to certain types of fashion.

-jeans or pants; i have four pairs of jeans and four pairs of pants, all accumulated over the last couple of years. my favorites are my corduroy pants! they are so comfortable.
-numerous t-shirts. some of them run a little baggy, others are xbox hueg, and most of them fit true-to-form.
-some button-ups, a few in solid colors, others in plaid patterns, and one in a really cool floral pattern.
-six or seven pairs of sneakers; two are converse, two are vans, two are emerica, and one's a pair of nikes.
-various "accessories", usually meant for warmth (scarves, gloves, beanies, etc.)

i do have shirts in a fair variety of colors and try to work with different colors regularly. altogether, though, i dress quite modestly, i think. my jeans are a dark blue, my pants are khaki-colored, and my cords are brown and blue. i try to match my shirts with my shoes to give some unity or something like that.

as far as fashion "advice", just be yourself, or try to go beyond boundaries. think of a shirt or something that looks like something you would wear, but is in an odd color or something. wear a purple shirt or a teal green or something like that, if you'd like!

i guess a good place to shop for generics is american apparel, if only because they fit closest to size in my experience. their 50/50 t-shirts are so comfy and come in every color under the sun. their hoodies and sweatshirts are nice, too. and the great thing about their clothes is that they're extremely durable, retain color, and can last an extremely long time if you're careful. the downside to them is that they're pretty expensive for t-shirt standards - i bought a white undershirt from them for $6, but its list price was $25, for example. it's not so bad when you see the conditions they have for workers, like twice the minimum wage, full transportation, in-house meals, etc., but most people don't have the money to shop their all the time. employees are also snobby and antagonistic - american apparel has reportedly employed most of their workforce based on fashion sense over actual ability or skill - but it's easy to grow a think skin and picture ripping people to shreds when it comes to them. :>

My ideal outfit:
-t-shirt [usually striped/a solid color]
-purple jacket [:3]
-shorts/pants
-hiking shoes [I have two pairs]
-mismatched socks [on purpose]

This too.

I always wear a knitted scarf when I go out, even if it's not cold, because I love it so much~! I don't know where I'd fit in the, erm, stereotypes, if anywhere.

dress and a red scarf (I love my scurf <3)

...Scarves are insanely awesome, and I agree with you so much. (I'm wearing a scarf right now)

Scarves, yes. Scarves are awesome and comfy and perfect. I love them :)

Oho, vests+suspenders really don't work together at all! Pants and suspenders, or pants and vests, but all three are just weird.

Everyone should wear either vests or suspenders, though. Regardless of gender (or sex). It should be mandated by law.

Well, aside from being a fashion faux pas, I meant more that, while in the US, pants = trousers, vest = waistcoat and suspenders = braces, in the UK, pants and vests are underwear (and vests aren't really worn by anyone except children under ten and older men), while suspenders are usually sold in lingerie shops and are worn exclusively by women (hence the hilarity of The Lumberjack Song's "I wear high heels, suspenders and a bra").

Hence my amusement at someone wearing those three items out in public X3

Last edited:
Pffff, vests. Are you kidding me? My vest is part of my signature look! I love the hell out of that thing!
My ex-employer said they weren't stylish when I came into work wearing it. I promptly ignored the hell outta her. Because this was also the woman who thought I'd look good in pinstripes. :l

okay, on to the topic at hand
FASHION.
I don't really care much if I look real good, to be honest. I'd be content to go about every day wearing my concert t-shirt or my favorite tank top, the aforementioned vest and my coca-cola pants.
Even when I /do/ bother dressing up it's usually just in a comfortable t-shirt/sweatshirt (depends on the time of year) and a pair of jeans.

Last night my entire flat went to the pub dressed in pyjamas and dressing gowns. It wasn't a pyjama party, we just did it.

How's that for fashion sense?

Oh, I forgot about my awesome jacket! Everyone should have an awesome jacket such as this. It has a fun multicolored pattern of stripes and spots, and a different pattern of brown and white underneath, then it has big brightly colored flowers on top. It's also reversible to a beige and small brown polka-dot pattern, but that's boring D:

I'll take a picture of it sometime. It's quite amazing and comfy.

I have a pretty high heat tolerance capacity and non-matching colored shirts and jackets, so I usually end up with outfits like blue jeans + really weirdly-red-orange t-shirt + super thick purplish-pinkish-maroon ski jacket. It's more of what's comfortable than what's fashionable, really.

WHAT IS FASHION I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

i like long skirts and button up tops. keep it classic and feminine, also, cat ears, scarves in the winter and jumpers. i also love hand-bags. i have like 20. i find skirts so much more confy than jeans.

Last edited:
i also love hand-bags. i have like 20. i find skirts so much more confy than jeans.

This. I love bags, and I love wearing skirts, I even wear them in the winter (Which truly is saying something since I live in Canada where it goes to like, -50 c! I'll be walking around in the yard in knee deep snow in crappy rubber boots, leg warmers and a knee or below the knee length skirt... lol).

When I see someone wearing cat ears or a tail in real life my eyes roll back so hard in my sockets I bleed.

In terms of fashion sense I am a huge prep I guess because I wear a lot of ties, sweatervests and sweaters in charming colours such as apple green or blood red.
Tourser-wise I wear either black slacks or jeans.
Shoes will be mocassins or riding boots for winter otherwise snow and rain get into my socks and I get the flu and feel so terrible I want to die :(

I also have a large collection of hats but my favourite is probably the chapka I got in Kiev. It's the warmest thing ever and during lessons I can stroke its fur like a cat and it soothes me during maths.

Back
Top Bottom