• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

ole_schooler vs. Superbird (ref: Squornshellous Beta)

grr...Well, how about this. First off, if it ever tries to Chill, then let it! But make sure you Disable the Chill afterwards, if that's possible. But if you can't disable Chill, then whatever. Elsewise, use Pin Missile, unless your opponent uses Charm one more time. Then, use Signal Beam instead.

Pin Missile/Disable/Signal Beam x3

Ahaha, my fiendish plan is working! And by "fiendish plan," I of course mean the wooing of your twu wuv over there, Danny boy. Alright. I'm fairly sure you can't disable relaxation, but even if you can, I'd like you to chill for as long as you're able. Untense those muscles, clear that mind, try and get rid of your paralysis (or at least lower its severity) and your attraction (she'll love you more if you play hard to get) and get energy back. If/when your chill is disabled, Charm her once more and let your Reflect shield drop. If there's an action remaining and you cannot chill, try for a Captivate. (And I'm back to dull commands. Ref might or might kill me. Eh, worth it.)

chill~chill/Charm(+drop Reflect)~chill/Charm(+drop Reflect)/Captivate

Paralysis starts at a 25% chance of full immobility, so if something is moderately paralyzed it should be a bit lower than that. 50% chance of full paralysis is extremely severe paralysis.

1v1 single
Style: set
DQ: One week
Damage Cap: 50%
Banned moves: None
Special: Only Pokémon at their lowest stage of evolution (including single-stage Pokémon)
Arena: Viridian Forest
Description: A small clearing in the leafy forest. There is no ready source of water nearby, and most of the ground is rotten leaf mulch. Caterpie, Weedle, and their evolutions roam the area, but won't come to investigate unless there's a strange bug in arena. The forest's Pikachu, on the other hand, are more than a little curious, and will occasionally run across the clearing. (Ref's discretion whether the wild Pokemon do anything besides look pretty.)
Team ole_schooler
1imko5.jpg

Snubbull
Daniel (Male)
Ability: Intimidate
Health: 78%
Energy: 22%
Status: Adorable :3 Bleeding from hundreds of tiny wounds all over. Defense -6, Reflect active (two more rounds); Trapped, paralyzed (moderate; 20% chance of full paralysis), attracted (moderate; 50% chance of 'immobilized by love'), Thunder Wave Disabled (three more rounds).
Commands: Chill ~ Chill / Charm (drop Reflect) ~ Chill / Charm (drop Reflect) / Captivate
Item: Moon Stone

Team Superbird
1imko5.jpg

Joltik
Elera (Female)
Ability: Compoundeyes
Health: 100%
Energy: 26%
Status: I'll attack weaker next time. Attack -4, special attack -1; attracted (moderate; 50% chance of 'immobilized by love').
Commands: Pin Missile / Disable / Signal Beam ~ Pin Missile / Disable / Signal Beam ~ Pin Missile / Disable / Signal Beam

Round 7 Begin!

Elera knows she's meant to do something, but suddenly finds herself losing all rational thought. Despite what she tells herself, she just can't help herself; she's absorbed in thought of him to the exclusion of all else. Daniel is motionless too; he's resting, allowing his body's natural recovery processes to heal him. It's actually quite effective, and by the time Elera snaps out of her trance, he feels considerably better; Elera suddenly realizes that she's meant to be battling, and that her trainer told her to use Block; reluctantly, she closes her eyes and concentrates, sealing away a portion of Daniel's knowledge. Daniel whimpers in shock, and then addresses Elera; "What was that? What did you do?"
"My trainer ordered me to do it! We're in a battle, remember? We agreed we'd battle then be friends after?"
"Oh, yeah... well, maybe you could attack just a little weaker? For me?"
"Okay!"
With Elera agreeing, Daniel feels safe in lowering his Reflect shield; it flickers briefly and then winks out of existence.

Round 7 End!

Team ole_schooler
1imko5.jpg

Snubbull
Daniel (Male)
Energy: 36%
Status: Thank you! Bleeding from hundreds of tiny wounds all over. Defense -6; Trapped, paralyzed (moderate; 20% chance of full paralysis), attracted (moderate; 50% chance of 'immobilized by love'), Thunder Wave Disabled (two more rounds), Chill Disabled (three more rounds).
Attacks Used: Chill ~ Chill ~ Charm (drop Reflect)

Team Superbird
1imko5.jpg

Joltik
Elera (Female)
Status: I'll go as weak as I can! Attack -6, special attack -1; attracted (moderate; 50% chance of 'immobilized by love').
Attacks Used: [attracted] ~ Disable ~ [attracted]

Damage / Energy Calculations
Chill - restored 10% energy (Daniel)
Chill - restored 10% energy (Daniel)
Disable - 4% energy (accuracy roll 71, needed 100 to miss)
Charm - 4% energy (accuracy roll 94, needed 100 to miss)

Notes
- My apologies, Negrek. I've always used 50% for moderate paralysis and no-one had complained, so I had assumed it was okay.
- Your commands implied that Elera should wait for that action's Chill, so she did.
- Can you tell I am terrible at writing dialog?

Arena Notes
- Nothing has changed.

Next Round
- ole_schooler Attacks
- Superbird Attacks
- I ref

Last edited:
(To the ref: No worries about the dialogue, I like it! It's fun to read them busy being adorable at each other.)

Alrighty, Daniel, we've gotten a bit of an edge in terms of energy, time to use it. As a starter, use Work Up any time the bug is distracted by love or not hurting you with a move (because muscles are sexy, right?). If she hits you with a physical move, Counter it. If it's a special move, give her a Present.

Work Up/Counter/Present~Work Up/Counter/Present~Work Up/Counter/Present

Squorn, I think you forgot to mention that Daniel has Chill disabled.

Elera, you're getting a little tired, so how about we Chill a little, then use Signal Beam.

Chill ~ Chill ~ Signal Beam

1v1 single
Special: Only Pokémon at their lowest stage of evolution (including single-stage Pokémon)
Description: A small clearing in the leafy forest. There is no ready source of water nearby, and most of the ground is rotten leaf mulch. Caterpie, Weedle, and their evolutions roam the area, but won't come to investigate unless there's a strange bug in arena. The forest's Pikachu, on the other hand, are more than a little curious, and will occasionally run across the clearing. (Ref's discretion whether the wild Pokemon do anything besides look pretty.)
Team ole_schooler
1imko5.jpg

Snubbull
Daniel (Male)
Energy: 36%
Status: Thank you! Bleeding from hundreds of tiny wounds all over. Defense -6; Trapped, paralyzed (moderate; 20% chance of full paralysis), attracted (moderate; 50% chance of 'immobilized by love'), Thunder Wave Disabled (two more rounds), Chill Disabled (three more rounds).
Commands: Work Up / Counter / Present ~ Work Up / Counter / Present ~ Work Up / Counter / Present

Team Superbird
1imko5.jpg

Joltik
Elera (Female)
Status: I'll go as weak as I can! Attack -6, special attack -1; attracted (moderate; 50% chance of 'immobilized by love').
Commands: Chill ~ Chill ~ Signal Beam

Round 8 Begin!

Elera likes her commands for this round. Only one of them involves attacking her precious Daniel, after all! And in the meantime, she gets a nice refreshing nap. She curls her legs beneath her, and nods off into a light sleep. Meanwhile, Daniel struggles to move under the restricting web; he can't gain enough leverage to move, though, and so he remains trapped. Several minutes pass in this way, before Elera wakes up, feeling nicely refreshed, and Daniel seems to give up.

Now comes the one command Elera is not so happy with: she has to attack Daniel. But they had agreed to battle, so she goes for it: her eyes each glow a different color and then four beams of light shoot out of them, twirling together into one beam and striking Daniel in the side. He growls instinctively, and then reluctantly begins an attack of his own: he chokes briefly for a few seconds and then coughs up a small, glowing orb, which rolls towards Elera. As Daniel hopes pleasehealherpleasehealherpleasehealher, Elera approaches the orb curiously, at which point it explodes. She shrieks, and the smoke engulfs her briefly before clearing away.

Then, hesitantly, a Butterfree enters the clearing. It cautiosly approaches Elera, and briefly converses with her; it seems happy by the end, and it pulls out from somewhere a glob of golden honey. It hands it to Elera, who eats it happily, and then flies off, squeaking a greeting at the referee's Pikachu companion as it goes.

Round 8 End!

Team ole_schooler
1imko5.jpg

Snubbull
Daniel (Male)
Health: 66%
Energy: 30%
Status: I can't move D: Bleeding from hundreds of tiny wounds all over. Defense -6; Trapped, paralyzed (moderate; 20% chance of full paralysis), attracted (moderate; 50% chance of 'immobilized by love'), Thunder Wave Disabled (one more round), Chill Disabled (two more rounds).
Attacks Used: Work Up ~ Work Up ~ Present

Team Superbird
1imko5.jpg

Joltik
Elera (Female)
Health: 97%
Energy: 38%
Status: What a nice Butterfree. Attack -6, special attack -1; attracted (moderate; 50% chance of 'immobilized by love').
Attacks Used: Chill ~ Chill ~ Signal Beam

Chill - restored 10% energy (Elera)
Work Up - failed
Work Up - failed
Signal Beam - 6% damage, 4% energy (accuracy roll 53, needed 100 to miss)
Present (medium damage) - 8% damage, 6% energy (accuracy roll 35, needed 90 or above to miss)

Notes
- That would be correct, Superbird. Fixed.
- They don't seem so cute to me, they seem more awkward. But it's good that you like it, anyway!
- It's impossible to move enough to use a Work Up under a Spider Web. I think so, anyway; the A&A guide says it "greatly impair the target's movement". You have to think these things through.
- Signal Beam did not lower Daniel's defense.
- Finally a wild Pokémon! It was a Butterfree, and shared some honey with Elera. This restored 5% health.

Arena Notes
- Nothing has changed.

Next Round
- Superbird Attacks
- ole_schooler Attacks
- I ref

Last edited:
...Shouldn't Elera have 97% health, then?

All right, Elera! I've done a little research, and after looking at many of Snubbull's pokédex entries, I've found that they seem to love boxing, and actually like the feel of poison on their skin. So, let's try Poison Jab until it gives Daniel a nice dose of poisoning! He'll love that! As soon as that happens, switch to Fury Cutter. If Daniel ever makes it impossible for you to hit him, then just save your energy and Chill.

Poison Jab/Chill ~ Poison Jab/Fury Cutter/Chill ~ Poison Jab/Fury Cutter/Chill

*gasp* The nerve of that bug! Well, any time that female is rude enough to hit you (she promised not to!) you should Counter it. (See how she likes it.) If you can't counter because of being pinned, free yourself from the web as early as possible. If she's not actually hitting you, throw more Presents, because girls love presents.

Counter/free yourself/Present~Counter/free yourself/Present~Counter/free yourself/Present

1v1 single
Team ole_schooler
1imko5.jpg

Snubbull
Daniel (Male)
Health: 66%
Energy: 30%
Status: I can't move D: Bleeding from hundreds of tiny wounds all over. Defense -6; Trapped, paralyzed (moderate; 20% chance of full paralysis), attracted (moderate; 50% chance of 'immobilized by love'), Thunder Wave Disabled (one more round), Chill Disabled (two more rounds).
Commands: Counter / Struggle / Present ~ Counter / Struggle / Present ~ Counter / Struggle / Present

Team Superbird
1imko5.jpg

Joltik
Elera (Female)
Energy: 38%
Status: What a nice Butterfree. Attack -6, special attack -1; attracted (moderate; 50% chance of 'immobilized by love').
Commands: Poison Jab / Chill ~ Poison Jab / Fury Cutter / Chill ~ Poison Jab / Fury Cutter / Chill

Round 9 Begin!

In the back of her mind, Elera feels her illogical attraction to Daniel fading, just a little. It had of course, been doing so the entire time, but this was more. Daniel felt the same thing, and it renders him apprehensive. Elera begins her attack; she darts forward and, injecting venom into her fangs, she bites down on Daniel with as little force as she feels she can get away with; a purplish tinge around the bite wound indicates that the poison has taken hold, and she looks on in worry. While a Galvantula's venom is not usually deadly - merely inducing a full paralysis - Joltik can't control their venom sacs as well, so they inject more venom in one bite, which can cause fatalities.

Still, she can't worry about that - either it'll kill him or it won't, there's nothing she can d about it. So instead, she begins her next move, darting at him and slashing him lightly with claws glowing with green light; he flinches, but doesn't otherwise respond. Simply enough, he's absorbed in thoughts of Elera, and of their happy future together; suddenly, though, he snaps out of the trance, and realizes wait, I'm still stuck.

Now Elera seems to have entered the same fantasyland, so Daniel begins working to free himself; he struggles madly for a few minutes until he manages to tear up the web quite severely, enough that he can stand up and tear the remaining pieces off his skin, tossing them to one side as the round draws to an end.

Round 9 End!

Team ole_schooler
1imko5.jpg

Snubbull
Daniel (Male)
Health: 53%
Energy: 27%
Status: She bit me! D: Bleeding from hundreds of tiny wounds all over. Defense -6; paralyzed (moderate; 20% chance of full paralysis), Poisoned (moderate; 3% per round), attracted (mild; 25% chance of 'immobilized by love'), Chill Disabled (one more round).
Attacks Used: [attracted] ~ [attracted] ~ Struggle

Team Superbird
1imko5.jpg

Joltik
Elera (Female)
Energy: 34%
Status: Ahh, sweet Daniel... Attack -6, special attack -1; attracted (mild; 25% chance of 'immobilized by love').
Attacks Used: Poison Jab ~ Fury Cutter ~ [attracted]

Poison Jab - 8% damage, 3% energy (accuracy roll 12, needed 100 to miss)
Fury Cutter - 2% damage, 1% energy (accuracy roll 13, needed 95 or above to miss)
Struggle - 3% energy

Notes
- Correct again!
- Are you lying to your Pokémon, Superbird? >:|
- I interpreted 'free yourself' as a Struggle attack, since the A&A guide says it can free the user of most entrapments.
- Man, Daniel is really getting the short end of this Attraction stick.
- The first Poison Jab poisoned Daniel.
- Just for the record, the attack drop from Charm is going to wear off right around the time that Attract wears off.

Arena Notes
- Nothing has changed.

Next Round
- ole_schooler Attacks
- Superbird Attacks
- I ref

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I don't know what to do. I think the only way to win this is blind luck. I mean, the odds of getting a OHKO using Metronome are close to 1%, and the chances of one of them succeeding is 30%, sooooo....yeah, poor odds, but now that you're free, Metronome the round away.

Metronome~Metronome~Metronome

Well, Elera, let's see...Hopefully we can get that thing to energyfaint—or we can do it all ourselves. If it's possible to renew Daniel's infatuation with another Attract, then do so. After that attack is successful, just Chill away. If you can't successfully Attract, then just chill.

Attract/Chill x3

1v1 single
Team ole_schooler
1imko5.jpg

Snubbull
Daniel (Male)
Energy: 27%
Status: She bit me! D: Bleeding from hundreds of tiny wounds all over. Defense -6; paralyzed (moderate; 20% chance of full paralysis), Poisoned (moderate; 3% per round), attracted (mild; 25% chance of 'immobilized by love'), Chill Disabled (one more round).
Commands: Metronome ~ Metronome ~ Metronome

Team Superbird
1imko5.jpg

Joltik
Elera (Female)
Energy: 34%
Status: Ahh, sweet Daniel... Attack -6, special attack -1; attracted (mild; 25% chance of 'immobilized by love').
Commands: Attract / Chill ~ Attract / Chill ~ Attract / Chill

Round 10 Begin!

Elera is happy to comply with her first command. A few choice compliments are sufficient to renew Daniel's attraction to its fullest level, and he is instantly head-over-heels once more. So it is with some reluctance that he uses the Metronome attack. At least, he thinks, if I hurt her it's not by my own choice. He lifts his arms into the air and begins waving them from side-to-side; he quickly gets into a rhythm, and suddenly he feels his temperature skyrocket. In addition, he is overcome with the most tremendous sneeze, and when he does, an enormous fireball rockets out. It shoots straight for Elera, hits her and explodes into a massive plume of fire; she screams as loudly as a tiny spider can, and Daniel suddenly finds himself nearly unconscious from exhaustion. He keels over briefly, but then staggers back to his feet.

As the fire begins to die down, Elera becomes visible. Charred and blackened, she looks like she's just about sick of this battle; it's not so surprising, then, that she simply curls up and goes to sleep, the fire smouldering around her. Daniel begins another Metronome, and he suddenly leaps into the air and launches towards Elera; he smashes into her and suddenly finds himself unable to continue any longer, collapsing from exhaustion right next to Elera's speeling form. His last conscious thought is now maybe we can be together...

Both trainers recall their Pokémon, and the referee gets the paychecks out of her pocket and hands them to them. As she sends out the League Reuniclus to take them home, the Pikachu stops her; it seems to be asking if it can go with her. She agrees, teleporting all four away.

What goes forgotten is the fire, which is slowly spreading towards the trees.

Round 10 End!

Team ole_schooler
xpqo.jpg

Snubbull
Daniel (Male)
Energy: 0%
Attacks Used: Metronome (Blast Burn) ~ Metronome (Hi Jump Kick)

Team Superbird
1imko5.jpg

Joltik
Elera (Female)
Health: 50%
Energy: 40%
Status: I won! Attack -6, special attack -1; attracted (mild; 25% chance of 'immobilized by love').
Attacks Used: Attract ~ Chill

Attract - 4% energy (accuracy roll 32, needed 100 to miss)
Metronome (Blast Burn) - 29% damage, 18% energy (accuracy roll 45, needed 90 or above to miss)
Metronome (Hi Jump Kick) - 8% damage, 12% energy (accuracy roll 25, needed 90 or above to miss)

Notes
- Blast Burn was a critical hit.
- Daniel energyfainted on the second action.

Arena Notes
- There is a significant fire going on, charring the leaf mulch and slowly spreading. Left unchecked, it's going to set Viridian Forest on fire.

Prizes
Elera gets 2 EXP, whilst Daniel gets 1. Superbird gets $8, I get $5, and ole_schooler gets $3. Good game, guys.

Yay, Elera, we won!

Good game, Ole Schooler. That was incredibly fun, and I'd love to battle again sometime!

And Beta—Dang, you are one helluva fast ref. I wish I was that fast! Anyway, thank you so much for taking the time to ref this.

GG, superbird, although I'll eventually demand a rematch. Nice to finally finish a match. Also, SB, you're an awesome ref.

Back
Top Bottom