• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Double-Take Mafia

The sun rises on, unsurprisingly, another flyer detailing another ability. A quick headcount reveals everyone is still present, however.

- Intercept: (active, nightly, single target) If your target is killed overnight or in the day phase immediately after you use this ability, they will survive and you will lose this ability. You can't target the same person on consecutive nights with this ability.

It is now Day 2. 96 hours for discussion.

Huh. Looks like we got a successful mafia block, which is pretty sweet. Anyone wanna take credit?

Hey! It was me! That was mine!

Someone really wants Eifie dead, I guess.

Oh... haha... awkward...

So, uh, I thought I was going to die last night since the mafia needs to actually eliminate people, so I yolo'd (yolt'd?) my other ability (one-shot kill) on Flora.

I picked Flora at random out of the 4 people I didn't have reason to feel good about, figuring I had a 50/50 chance, which is pretty good. People I do feel good about:
  1. The person I targeted with my ability the first night, because the first thing I did was grill them over IM so that I could get instant responses, meaning they can't have had the chance to consult with anyone else before telling me their powers. Their tone sounded really genuine to me, and again, I gave them basically zero chance to actually think about their responses before sending them.
  2. RNP - it would be pretty silly of a mafia member to target their intended kill for the night with an ability that lets them know you're targeting them. That'd just call unnecessary attention to you.

So that means a kill actually was blocked last night! Conveniently, the person I talked to yesterday has a roleblocking ability, so I suggest they come out and tell us who they targeted with it. Or they could have targeted me since I told them I intended to shoot Flora, and then the mafia targeted either Flora or me, in which case keep quiet, I guess.

hello! given that eif is confirmed town (bc she died a little), i feel pretty okay about going ahead and saying that im the one with the roleblock. i blocked phoenix last night (lowkey just to see what would happen) and I'm not gonna jump to conclusions about that, but. putting it out there.

hello! given that eif is confirmed town (bc she died a little), i feel pretty okay about going ahead and saying that im the one with the roleblock. i blocked phoenix last night (lowkey just to see what would happen) and I'm not gonna jump to conclusions about that, but. putting it out there.

Huh. Maybe I should be revising my opinion on RNP, then, since he has some sort of possible connection to two kills now...

Of course, there's also the possibility of something else stopping the mafia kill. In a bit of a hurry right now, but I'll think about this more later.

Did you block me N0? I got notified that my action had no effect then.

i...

okay, this is embarassing, but apparently i did? i thought i'd forgotten to send in an action (bc i was away at the con and missed the night phase) but now that i check my sent messages i'd asked keldeo a question before i left and also sent in an action with my reply.

more specifically, it was phrased "block zm if this reply still gets to you in time, and idle if not", so i guess i assumed it didn't work?

well. so. thats that.

Shower thought: is it possible for Flora to have eaten both kills, but only lost one ability? Depending on the order of night actions, if Intercept was Flora's first ability, it could technically work out:

1. I shoot Flora
  2. Flora loses her first ability (Intercept)
  3. Mafia shoots me
  4. Flora's action still goes through, so according to the description of her ability: I survive and Flora loses this ability (Intercept). So actually nothing happens, because she can't lose Intercept again.

Kind of contrived, but it'd be interesting if that's what happened. Maybe it's the kind of thing Flora could ask Keldeo about. Relatedly, I know I wasn't roleblocked or anything along those lines, because I got confirmation that my shot was used up and Keldeo told me that my shot wouldn't be used if I got blocked.

(Also, heads up: I am having surgery first thing tomorrow morning (😱) and I am getting conflicting reports on how long I will be in indescribable pain/high as a kite, so I might not be around tomorrow.)

(lol jk I'm basically all right now, but don't really feel up to thinking)

Since my brain is demanding a break right now: does anyone else have any opinions on RNP having some sort of connection to two night kills/attempts now? To recap: him having targeted me on the first night, and sande's blocking him corresponding to a missing mafia kill (unless that contrived situation I mentioned yesterday is what happened). Personally, I think it's probably a coincidence and something else interfered with the mafia kill.

(sh. i didn't mean to hit the submit button yet.)
Anyways I tried to visit Stryke last night; Guess I got blocked. I just assumed Stryke didn't feel like telling everyone he got visited.

Anyways I tried to visit Stryke last night; Guess I got blocked. I just assumed Stryke didn't feel like telling everyone he got visited.

Yeah, you must've been blocked; I never got messages about you visiting me.

Hrmmm.

Eifie's posts today don't quite make sense to me, and it's making me wary.

Oh... haha... awkward...

So, uh, I thought I was going to die last night since the mafia needs to actually eliminate people, so I yolo'd (yolt'd?) my other ability (one-shot kill) on Flora.

I picked Flora at random out of the 4 people I didn't have reason to feel good about, figuring I had a 50/50 chance, which is pretty good. People I do feel good about:
  1. The person I targeted with my ability the first night, because the first thing I did was grill them over IM so that I could get instant responses, meaning they can't have had the chance to consult with anyone else before telling me their powers. Their tone sounded really genuine to me, and again, I gave them basically zero chance to actually think about their responses before sending them.
  2. RNP - it would be pretty silly of a mafia member to target their intended kill for the night with an ability that lets them know you're targeting them. That'd just call unnecessary attention to you.

So that means a kill actually was blocked last night! Conveniently, the person I talked to yesterday has a roleblocking ability, so I suggest they come out and tell us who they targeted with it. Or they could have targeted me since I told them I intended to shoot Flora, and then the mafia targeted either Flora or me, in which case keep quiet, I guess.

So if Eifie is telling the truth here, there are two straightforward possible scenarios that could have happened last night (discounting more outlandish possibilities involving more role complications):

1) Eifie was targeted by the mafia, Flora lost her ability because she intercepted that kill, and Eifie's attempted kill on Flora was blocked by some other means (or potentially was also counted as "targeting" the Intercept ability).

2) Eifie's attempted kill on Flora took her Intercept ability, and the mafia kill was blocked by some other means.

Eifie suggests sanderidge should reveal who they blocked, unless they targeted her. This suggests Eifie is assuming scenario 2 - in scenario 1 the mafia wasn't blocked, so sande's target wouldn't tell us anything (unless it were Eifie, but Eifie instructs them to keep quiet if that's the case). I found this a little weird, since scenario 1 was the first one I thought of - wouldn't it be pretty natural to assume the mafia did target Eifie and that thus a non-Eifie sande target isn't that likely to be relevant? This isn't necessarily incriminating, but I was surprised at her apparent thought process here.

Shower thought: is it possible for Flora to have eaten both kills, but only lost one ability? Depending on the order of night actions, if Intercept was Flora's first ability, it could technically work out:

1. I shoot Flora
  2. Flora loses her first ability (Intercept)
  3. Mafia shoots me
  4. Flora's action still goes through, so according to the description of her ability: I survive and Flora loses this ability (Intercept). So actually nothing happens, because she can't lose Intercept again.

Kind of contrived, but it'd be interesting if that's what happened. Maybe it's the kind of thing Flora could ask Keldeo about. Relatedly, I know I wasn't roleblocked or anything along those lines, because I got confirmation that my shot was used up and Keldeo told me that my shot wouldn't be used if I got blocked.

(Also, heads up: I am having surgery first thing tomorrow morning (😱) and I am getting conflicting reports on how long I will be in indescribable pain/high as a kite, so I might not be around tomorrow.)
But then she mentions actually she knows she wasn't roleblocked or anything and got confirmation that her shot was used up. Why didn't she mention this in the previous post, where she explicitly brought up the possibility that maybe sande blocked her? That really doesn't seem like a simple oversight - if you know your shot went through, you probably aren't going to speculate about the possibility you were blocked without remembering that. What reason could there have been to expressly choose to withhold this information and indicate that maybe she was blocked? This is pretty weird to me.

I didn't know at the start of the day, because Keldeo forgot to send my the confirmation PM. I asked about it later.

I didn't know at the start of the day, because Keldeo forgot to send my the confirmation PM. I asked about it later.

Checked the timestamps and wait, misremembering. A bit after the day started but before I posted, I asked if I would get a confirmation PM and Keldeo was like whoops, yeah, forgot. Then the next day it occurred to me that maybe I wouldn't lose my shot if I'd been roleblocked, so I asked about it.

Also, re: the first point: not really? I think the natural thing to assume is that my kill went through, especially since I knew the identity of a roleblocker and was pretty sure they would not block me. The double Interceptor loss didn't occur to me until a while after that, when I posted about it.

Checked the timestamps and wait, misremembering. A bit after the day started but before I posted, I asked if I would get a confirmation PM and Keldeo was like whoops, yeah, forgot. Then the next day it occurred to me that maybe I wouldn't lose my shot if I'd been roleblocked, so I asked about it.

Also, re: the first point: not really? I think the natural thing to assume is that my kill went through, especially since I knew the identity of a roleblocker and was pretty sure they would not block me. The double Interceptor loss didn't occur to me until a while after that, when I posted about it.
Ahhh, that makes sense, then. That correction also reads very genuine and like an unlikely thing to fake as mafia, so that makes me feel better about you.

On to the next mild thing of note, then:

Here you're implying you saw Stryke's post before learning you were blocked. Assuming Stryke just didn't feel like telling everyone he got visited seems funny. Is there a reason you didn't post then?

The discussion remains inconclusive as night falls on the town.

No one died.

It is now Night 2. 48 hours for night actions.

(Also, if you are having trouble with activity and would like the day phases to be longer, or you think they're too long and want them to be shorter, please let me know! I picked 4 days pretty much at random and it looks like discussion is losing steam near the ends of phases.)

Back
Top Bottom