• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Stryke vs Eifie

Hee hee! Good work on not rolling for the Normal-type for Hidden Power. Normally, when a Taunted Pokémon is given no offensive commands, it'll resort to Struggle rather than do nothing. That's probably the best way to handle it here. Fix that and I think you're good for this round.

I'm having a bit of a dilemma in that I seem to have exhausted all of Darumaka's capabilities for causing interesting situations... so your approval will probably have to wait until a round or two after I've sent out my next Pokémon, if you keep up the good work!

Hee hee! Good work on not rolling for the Normal-type for Hidden Power. Normally, when a Taunted Pokémon is given no offensive commands, it'll resort to Struggle rather than do nothing. That's probably the best way to handle it here. Fix that and I think you're good for this round.
Ah! Fixed. I wasn't 100% sure how to treat Struggle - it's listed as a Normal-type move, but doesn't it typically deal type-less damage? As such, I didn't apply STAB but did apply Dotcom's Up-Grade.

I'm having a bit of a dilemma in that I seem to have exhausted all of Darumaka's capabilities for causing interesting situations... so your approval will probably have to wait until a round or two after I've sent out my next Pokémon, if you keep up the good work!

:D Works for me!

Ah! Fixed. I wasn't 100% sure how to treat Struggle - it's listed as a Normal-type move, but doesn't it typically deal type-less damage? As such, I didn't apply STAB but did apply Dotcom's Up-Grade.

Right, it's typeless. In the game data it's technically listed as Normal-type, and the stuff in the database is just ripped directly from the games, but it does actually inflict typeless damage.

Also, I'm now suddenly having a feeling that I've actually charged 1% recoil for Struggle before (i.e. rounding down)... I'm just gonna go check on that recoil damage thing because it's just totally escaping me right now.

Whoops! I didn't actually look at the changed numbers when I posted earlier. Self-inflicted damage ignores the damage cap, so the 5% recoil Tommy took from Flare Blitz doesn't count towards the 40% needed for her to hit the damage cap. So she should have taken the full damage from Struggle, putting her health at 44%.

(Stryke, it's fine for you to command now.)

Ah gotcha, I didn't realize self-inflicted damage didn't count. Does that encompass confusion damage as well as recoil damage?

Fixed.

Ah gotcha, I didn't realize self-inflicted damage didn't count. Does that encompass confusion damage as well as recoil damage?

Fixed.

Yes. It also includes the halving of health from using Ghost-type curse and the health costs of Substitute and Belly Drum .

OK then...

Dotcom, if they attack, lets Tri Attack them into oblivion. If they use a move that has a primary effect of stat raising, use Recover, then Magnet Rise, then a Conversion to Electric. And if its a move that docent fall into either of these categories, then put on your Magic Coat!

Tri Attack/Recover/Magic Coat~Tri Attack/Magnet Rise/Magic Coat~Tri Attack/Conversion (Electric)/Magic Coat

All right, if it's a battle of attrition they want, they've got one. Go with Facade, then Superpower, then Brick Break. Wait for your opponent to move each action, as usual.

Sorry for the boring round, SS... I'm eager to move on to my next and hopefully more interesting Pokémon, hehe.

Facade ~ Superpower ~ Brick Break

Round Four

Stryke (OO)
Porygon
Dragonflycave dot com the genderless Porygon
Speed: 40
Ability: Download
(Raises the attack stat corresponding to the opponents' weaker base defense by one inherent stage upon entering battle.)
Item: Up-Grade
(Raises moves' final damage by 1%. Only works for Porygon. Helps Porygon evolve.)
Health: 39% 37%
Energy: 78% 75%
Status: Letting go of hurt feelings (but reprogramming to enact justice) [+1 SpAtk]
Commands: Tri Attack/Recover/Magic Coat~Tri Attack/Magnet Rise/Magic Coat~Tri Attack/Conversion (Electric)/Magic Coat

Eifie (OO)
Darumaka
Super Smile Tomato the female Darumaka
Speed: 50
Ability: Hustle
(Multiplies all moves' base power by 1.2, but lowers their accuracy by a flat 20%.)
Item: Zoom Lens
(Raises moves' accuracy by 20% when the holder moves after its target.)
Health: 50% 44%
Energy: 47%
Status: Was feeling really peaceful, but decided that wild and chaotic is more fun [Psychic-type, Toxic poisoned (4% this round, 5% next round)]
Commands: Facade ~ Superpower ~ Brick Break

-----

Dotcom drifted around its end of the battlefield. Internal fans whirred, cooling off its anger as its newest commands flashed up onto its mind screen. With instructions to choose a move based on Tommy's move, it waited, alert. Mildly, it chirped in annoyance. Tommy was the faster Pokemon and her refusal to move first was getting on its nerves. Let's see HER make the first move for once, Dotcom mused as it steadfastly waited. On the other end of the field, Tommy bounced with impatience. Waiting was so hard! Her blood pounded through her veins - she wanted to move, move, move. None of this waiting! Forgetting her recent meditative contemplations and the Zoom Lens she carried, Tommy's face fell from its happy smile and lunged for Dotcom. With each punch she delivered, she cried out for every ache and hurt she'd experienced in this battle. She threw in just a couple of extra punches as the poison beat through her pulse again. Satisfied, Dotcom blasted her with another triple beam of light, knocking the little Darumaka back to her own end of the field.

Dotcom cringed at its new wounds, determined to wait again. That wasn't so bad, it thought to itself, but in the corner of its mind, alarm sensors were beginning to flash. It tried vainly to ignore this and concentrate. Across the way and filled with the rage of battle, Tommy summoned every ounce of strength she had left. It built and built until the Darumaka seemed twice her real size with fury, fur, and fire, and with a giant's battlecry, she walloped the Porygon out of the air. Again its body pieces scattered across the field, and the three different colored lights it unleashed next each came from a different place. Klaxons and error tones were pounding through its head, popups that it couldn't close, strange progress bars as emergency systems tried frantically to boot up. Dotcom's pieces spun shakily back together, vibrating and occasionally losing gravity. Tommy shook off the colored lights, not feeling so great herself.

As Dotcom dealt with its failing programming, it realized its conditionals had been covered up by all of the alert messages and popup programs. What was it supposed to wait for? It couldn't remember. All it could boot up was the recently-run attack, and while Tommy tried for patience, Dotcom unleashed a third beam of braided light, giving the attack all it had. The lights struck Tommy viciously and the Darumaka staggered. None of the lights had brought her to her knees before, but suddenly Tommy was feeling very, very wrong. With one last burst of energy, she checked her Zoom Lens and pounded away at Dotcom once more. Bang, bang - BANG went her fists on Dotcom's side.

Dotcom's alert messages and loading screens froze. It shook its head, trying to get them back online, but to no avail. The Porygon's gravity system quivered and slowly, slowly disengaged. With a quiet, sad chirp, Dotcom's pieces all tumbled to the ground and its mind screen lapsed into static.

Tommy watched Dotcom fall and gave a pleased shout. But just as she did so, her injuries and her poison shook her again, and she carefully sat down, pulling her arms and legs back into her body while she waited for the next Pokemon.

-----

Stryke (XO)
Porygon
Dragonflycave dot com the genderless Porygon
Speed: 40
Ability: Download
(Raises the attack stat corresponding to the opponents' weaker base defense by one inherent stage upon entering battle.)
Item: Up-Grade
(Raises moves' final damage by 1%. Only works for Porygon. Helps Porygon evolve.)
Health: 0% - Knocked Out! (capped)
Energy: 66%
Status: Hopefully it saved its work before the unexpected crash. Knocked Out. [+1 SpAtk]
Used: Tri Attack ~ Tri Attack ~ Tri Attack

Eifie (OO)
Darumaka
(Multiplies all moves' base power by 1.2, but lowers their accuracy by a flat 20%.)
Health: 4% (capped)
Energy: 25%
Status: Feeling awfully weak. [-1 Attack, -1 Defense, Psychic-type, Toxic poisoned (5% this round, 6% next round)]
Used: Facade ~ Superpower ~ Brick Break​

Action One

Dotcom's conditionals depend on Tommy's move, but Tommy is waiting to attack second. Dotcom has a 50% chance to give up waiting and attack first, using the first option in the set of conditionals.

Dotcom's decision: 50% chance of giving up waiting for Tommy to move and attacking anyway (roll ≤ 50 for Dotcom giving up and moving first, roll > 50 for Dotcom sticking to its conditionals and waiting to see what Tommy does, forcing Tommy to move first): rolled 93, Dotcom sticks to its conditionals and waits, resulting in Tommy moving first (Zoom Lens no longer applies) and using Facade. Dotcom follows with Tri Attack.

Tommy's energy:
Facade: (140+20)/20 = 8% (status condition)
Total: 8%

Dotcom's health/Tommy's damage dealt:
Facade: 14% x 1.2 (Hustle) = 16.8% round down = 16%
80% accuracy (Hustle) (roll ≤ 80 for hit): rolled 39, hit
5% critical hit chance (roll ≤ 5 for critical hit): rolled 85, no CH
Total: 16%

Dotcom's energy
Tri Attack: 80/20 = 4% - 1% (STAB)
Total: 3%

Tommy's health/Dotcom's damage dealt:
Tri Attack: 8% + 8/4 = 2% (STAB) + 1% (+1 SpAtk) + 1% (Up-Grade) = 12%
20% chance of status condition (roll ≤ 20 for condition): rolled 44, no status condition
5% critical hit chance (roll ≤ 5 for critical hit): rolled 70, no CH
Toxic poisoning: 2% (5% round total)
Total: 14%

Action Two

Dotcom's conditionals depend on Tommy's move, but Tommy is waiting to attack second. Dotcom has a 50% chance to give up waiting and attack first, using the first option in the set of conditionals.

Dotcom's decision: 50% chance of giving up waiting for Tommy to move and attacking anyway (roll ≤ 50 for Dotcom giving up and moving first, roll > 50 for Dotcom sticking to its conditionals and waiting to see what Tommy does, forcing Tommy to move first): rolled 67, Dotcom sticks to its conditionals and waits, resulting in Tommy moving first (Zoom Lens no longer applies) and using Superpower. Dotcom follows with Tri Attack.

Other notes: After using Superpower, Tommy's Attack and Defense are lowered by 1 stage. Because Tommy moved first, this came into effect for Dotcom's next Tri Attack (or would, if Tri Attack was a physical move).

Tommy's energy:
Superpower: (120+20)/20 = 7%
Total: 7%

Superpower: 12% x 1.2 (Hustle) x 1.5 (Fighting to Normal) = 21.6% round down = 21%
80% accuracy (Hustle) (roll ≤ 80 for hit): rolled 44, hit
5% critical hit chance (roll ≤ 5 for critical hit): rolled 62, no CH
(Tommy's Attack and Defense are each -1)
Total: 21%

Dotcom's energy

20% chance of status condition (roll ≤ 20 for condition): rolled 48, no status condition
5% critical hit chance (roll ≤ 5 for critical hit): rolled 20, no CH
Toxic poisoning: 1% (5% round total)
Total: 13%

Action Three

Dotcom's decision: 50% chance of giving up waiting for Tommy to move and attacking anyway (roll ≤ 50 for Dotcom giving up and moving first, roll > 50 for Dotcom sticking to its conditionals and waiting to see what Tommy does, forcing Tommy to move first): rolled 36, Dotcom gives up and moves first, using Tri Attack. Tommy follows with Brick Break.

Tommy's energy:
Brick Break: 75/20 = 3.75% round up = 4%

Brick Break: 7.5% - 1% (-1 Attack) = 6.5% x 1.2 (Hustle) x 1.5 (Fighting to Normal) = 11.7% round down = 11%
5% critical hit chance (roll ≤ 5 for critical hit): rolled 94, no CH
Total: 11%

Dotcom's energy

20% chance of status condition (roll ≤ 20 for condition): rolled 30, no status condition
5% critical hit chance (roll ≤ 5 for critical hit): rolled 90, no CH
Toxic poisoning: 2% (5% round total)
Total: 14%

Round Total

Tommy's energy:
47% - 8% (Facade) - 7% (Superpower) - 7% (Brick Break) = 25%

37% - 16% (Facade) - 21% (Superpower) - 11% (Brick Break) = 0% (capped and knocked out on action three)

Dotcom's energy:
75% - 3% (Tri Attack) - 3% (Tri Attack) - 3% (Tri Attack) = 66%

44% - 14% (Tri Attack and Toxic poisoning) - 13% (Tri Attack and Toxic poisoning) - 14% (Tri Attack and Toxic Poisoning) = 4% (capped on action three)

Notes:

• Speed order: Super Smile Tomato (50) stands alone.
  • Dotcom's orders gave it instructions based on Tommy's moves, but didn't explicitly say "wait." Because of this, I gave Dotcom a 50% chance of attacking without waiting to see what Tommy did and a 50% chance of waiting it out, forcing Tommy to move first.
  • Dotcom and Tommy both hit the damage cap on action three (but it didn't matter for Dotcom because even the damage cap exceeded its remaining health).
  • Sorry for the increasingly slow-ish reffings :|
  • Stryke sends out, Eifie commands first, and then Stryke commands.

Last edited:
Hehe! Very nice! I especially enjoyed the write-up this round. Your pre-round stats have the wrong value for Tommy's health (50% instead of the fixed 44% from last round), but everything else looks good from a quick once-over. (As usual, I'm in a hurry, so I'll look again later. But for now, Stryke can feel free to send out.)

Hehe! Very nice! I especially enjoyed the write-up this round.
:D Thanks! I enjoyed writing it hehe.

Your pre-round stats have the wrong value for Tommy's health (50% instead of the fixed 44% from last round), but everything else looks good from a quick once-over. (As usual, I'm in a hurry, so I'll look again later. But for now, Stryke can feel free to send out.)
Gosh darn it I thought I fixed that. Officially fixed now!

Well, you fought well, Dotcom. Nice effort.

Anyway... Tenerock, lets get ready to rumble! (You can call him Ten for short.)

Um... I don't think these Superpowers will be good for us... better use Torment. After that, theres really no need to attack, so lets focus on that speed stat of yours.

Torment~Rock Polish~Rock Polish

Round Five

Stryke (XO)
Spr_5b_299_s.png

Tenorock the male Nosepass
Speed: 30
Ability: Magnet Pull
(Prevents Steel-type opponents from switching out or escaping. Can pull in Steel-types or reveal them when hidden with the use of an action.)
Item: ---
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Torment~Rock Polish~Rock Polish

Eifie (OO)
Darumaka
Health: 4% (capped)
Energy: 25%
Status: Feeling awfully weak. [-1 Attack, -1 Defense, Psychic-type, Toxic poisoned (5% this round, 6% next round)]
Commands: Superpower x3

-----

With a burst of light, a new Pokemon appeared on the field in Dotcom's place. The newcomer inhaled deeply through his large nose, enjoying the feeling of fresh, clean air. What a difference from being inside of a stuffy Pokeball. Tenorock lightly moved his rock limbs, stretching them (as much as a rock could). Relishing these newfound fresh breaths and uninterested in his opponent as of yet, Tenorock closed his eyes and let his internal magnetic system line up with that of the grassy field. He took a few adjustment steps until he was standing straight north and south; this put him at slight odds to the angle of the field and his opponent, but Tenorock merely eyed them without turning. He had a bit of pity for those who were unable to instinctively line themselves up with the planet's magnetic field. No matter, he would fight at a proper angle like this and perhaps would even bestow some order on these directionally lost beings around him.

Tommy took a deep breath herself. This is it, she thought. The end. She didn't know this newcomer, but that was just as well; she would do all she could for her incoming teammate. Crouching down, threading grass through her fingers (despite her pain, she was pleased still to see it scorch beneath her fiery hands), she summoned every last ounce of strength she still had remaining. A devilish glint appeared in her eyes. Oh, she would not go down easily. Across the field, the Nosepass still stood, just breathing, and turned slightly away from her - he wouldn't even see it coming. The fire of battle swirled inside of her, and with a final shout, she leaped high into the air, sunlight striking her fur. Savagely, she dropped down on Tenorock, striking him with a massive hit right where he least expected it. Tenorock gasped in shock and pain. Tranquility scattering away from him, he shouted at the little Darumaka. Why, you tyrant! How dare you stoop to such a low level as this - attacking an esteemed being without even any hint of a warning? You should be ashamed. Tenorock snickered and Tommy's stomach turned with poison and guilt.

Was she really that awful? Tommy thought she had done a great job, making a fantastic leap for both herself and her team. And, weak as she was, she even felt like she had one more shred of fight left in her. Now, she just... Tommy raised her eyes to the sky, and a single tear fell unbidden from her eyes. It glittered in the light and Tommy choked back a sob. No, surely she had done all she could. Across the field, Tenorock found a hard bit of earth two degrees west of his current position and stood there now, grinding down the sharp edges of his rock body so that when the time came, he would move as light as the stars in the sky.

Tommy sank to her knees, the poison beating through her body now unbearable. A few more tears had fallen and steamed off from her fiery face. As the Zoom Lens fell from her hands and her eyes unwillingly closed, she drew deep inside herself for the calm she had so often sought in this battle. At last, after all her struggle, there it was. A peaceful smile lit upon her face and she lay back in the grass, an enormous sigh leaving her as she finally rested. She had done all she could, she thought as the daylight faded black, and no opponent's cruel words would reach her where she was going.

-----

Stryke (XO)
Spr_5b_299_s.png

(Prevents Steel-type opponents from switching out or escaping. Can pull in Steel-types or reveal them when hidden with the use of an action.)
Health: 75% 74%
Energy: 94%
Status: A bit surprised by the sudden onslaught, but sticking to his instincts. [+2 Speed]
Used: Torment ~ Rock Polish

Eifie (XO)
Darumaka
Health: 0% - Knocked Out!
Energy: 18%
Status: Finally, finally giving in to the pain. [-2 Attack, -2 Defense, Psychic-type, Toxic poisoned (6% this round, 7% next round)]
Used: Superpower ~ Nothing​

Action One

Tommy moves first and uses Superpower. Tenorock follows with Torment. Tommy takes 2% damage from Toxic, leaving her with 2% health.

Tommy's energy:
Superpower: (120+20)/20 = 7%

Ten's health/Tommy's damage dealt:
Superpower: 12% - 1% (-1 Attack) x 1.2 (Hustle) x 1.5 (Fighting to Rock) = 19.8% round down = 19% 12% x 1.2 (Hustle) - 1% (-1 Attack) x 1.5 (Fighting to Rock) = 20.1% round down = 20%
80% accuracy (Hustle) (roll ≤ 80 for hit): rolled 24, hit
5% critical hit chance (roll ≤ 5 for critical hit): rolled 1, CH
Critical Hit bonus: 12% x 0.5 = 6%
(Tommy's Attack and Defense are each -2)
Total: 25% 26%

Ten's energy
Torment: 4%
Total: 4%

Tommy's health/Ten's damage dealt:
Toxic poisoning: 2% (6% round total)
Total: 2%

Action Two

Tommy tries to use another Superpower, but can't because of Torment. She does nothing. Tenorock follows with Rock Polish. Tommy's poison damage knocks her out at the end of this action.

Tommy's energy:
No change
Total: 0%

No change

Ten's energy
Rock Polish: 2%
(Tenorock has +2 Speed)

Toxic poisoning: 2% (6% round total)

Action Three

Tenorock stands alone. The wind blows gently across the field.

Tommy's energy:

Total: %

Ten's energy

Round Total

Tommy's energy:
25% - 7% (Superpower) = 18%

100% - 25% 26% (Superpower) = 75% 74%

Ten's energy:
100% - 4% (Torment) - 2% (Rock Polish) = 94%

4% - 2% (Toxic poisoning) - 2% (Toxic poisoning) = 0% (knocked out on action two)

Notes:

• Speed order: Tenorock (50) stands alone.
  • Tommy scored a critical hit on action one.
  • Nosepass's speed is 30, but with a +2 Speed boost, I figured it would be 50 now - I've seen speed boosts handled different ways, and multiples of 10 seems easy to keep track of. If there's a better way, I can switch it.
  • Eifie sends out, Stryke commands first, and then Eifie commands.

Last edited:
What you did for speed stages is fine. Hustle affects base power directly, so you should have applied that modifier before accounting for Tommy's lowered Attack. In this case it happens to make a difference of 1% damage. Everything else looks good, though!

Now to send out someone more interesting so you can show off more of your reffing chops... let's go, crab guy!

345.png

fuckin' majestic

Now to send out someone more interesting so you can show off more of your reffing chops.
That doesn't sound too good...

First off, Ten: Taunt, for obvious reasons. Then, Toxic. And finally, because I want to get some damage dealt, Ice Punch. If somehow at any point your health is 40-99% less than crab guy's, Pain Split. And good luck out there!

Taunt/Pain Split~Toxic/Pain Split~Ice Punch/Pain Split

Very well! crab guy, please Protect yourself against that Taunt, then go for a one-action Solar Beam. Let's finish off with Confuse Ray, but if he uses Pain Split, Protect against it.

Protect ~ Solar Beam ~ Confuse Ray / Protect

Round Six

Stryke (XO)
Spr_5b_299_s.png

Health: 75% 74%
Energy: 94%
Status: A bit surprised by the sudden onslaught, but sticking to his instincts. [+2 Speed]
Commands: Taunt/Pain Split~Toxic/Pain Split~Ice Punch/Pain Split

Eifie (XO)
Lileep
crab guy the female Lileep
Speed: 23
Ability: Storm Drain
(Absorbs Water moves, raising Special Attack by one stage. Redirects single-target Water moves to this Pokémon where possible.)
Item: Lucky Egg
(Gives the holder one extra experience point whenever it participates in battle.)
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Protect ~ Solar Beam ~ Confuse Ray / Protect

-----

Lilith the crab guy appeared dramatically, waving her orange- and pink-arms in the air like beautiful swaying grass. Gorgeous swaying grass. She kept her eyes closed for a while, letting the sunlight soak into her radiant purple skin. Opening one eye a fraction, she spotted her opponent, who was patiently waiting for her to orient herself to the battlefield. With a flirty laugh, crab guy swung her whole body at the waist, showing off. She used all of the best seaweed-conditioners, of course, which resulted in her glowing health.

Ten turned his eyes at the newcomer. Ah, a fellow Rock-type, he thought, nodding cordially. His eyes trailed her a moment longer than was polite. Of course, a particularly... dated kind. You're simply out of style. Were you going for ancient with that hairdo? Lilith heard Ten's attempts to enrage her, but she quickly tossed up a bubble of protection, which hardened into a transparent shield. Those insults are SO 100 million years ago, she thought haughtily as she swayed, swayed her flower-disguised tentacles.

Why, the arrogant little- Ten's good temper faltered as Lilith the crab guy blatantly ignored his wonderfully-put together insult. Turning just a bit off of his straight north-south pathway (to reflect the un-gentlemanly-ness of his next action), he dug up a glob of the earth's most awful toxins and threw it at her. Lilith the crab guy shrieked as the oily mixture soaked through her beautiful skin, diminishing her glow of perfect health. In retaliation, she opened her tentacle-arms wide to the sunlight, gathering its energy in hasty, angry sweeps. The light seared and burned as she tried to harness it all in half the time she usually took, and she knew she was running out of time. A fierce glow had sprouted all around her, and with a cry, she let it loose at the very last second. Ten gasped as the light struck him; he had just given up on her attacking this action and was moving on to his next command. The violence of her strike stunned him speechless.

Well then, Ten thought, regaining his wits. No more of this gentlemanly business. He stretched out a magnetic energy towards Lilith, linking up their life support systems. Just as he did so, however, Lilith laughed and tossed up another shimmering barrier. Can't touch me, she cackled, even as she stood a bit hunched over from the effort of her previous attack.

-----

Stryke (XO)
Spr_5b_299_s.png

Health: 52%
Energy: 63% 84%
Used: Taunt ~ Toxic ~ Pain Split

Eifie (XO)
Lileep
crab guy the female Lileep
Speed: 23
Ability: Storm Drain
(Absorbs Water moves, raising Special Attack by one stage. Redirects single-target Water moves to this Pokémon where possible.)
Item: Lucky Egg
(Gives the holder one extra experience point whenever it participates in battle.)
Health: 98%
Energy: 78% 87%
Status: A little winded. [Toxic poisoned (2% this round, 3% next round)]
Used: Protect ~ Solar Beam (one action) ~ Protect​

Action One

(Ten's Pain Split conditional activates if Ten drops below (crab guy's health - 40), which is in this case 60%.) Ten is at 74% health and does not use Pain Split. Ten uses Taunt. crab guy uses Protect, which retroactively takes priority. Taunt is unsuccessful.

crab guy's energy:
Protect: 2% (base energy) + 1% (Taunt) (non-damaging moves blocked by Protect cost no extra energy)
Total: 3% 2%

Ten's health/crab guy's damage dealt:
No change

Ten's energy
Taunt: 4%

crab guy's health/Ten's damage dealt:
No change

Action Two

(Ten's Pain Split conditional activates if Ten drops below (crab guy's health - 40), which is in this case 60%.) Ten is still at 74% health and doesn't use Pain Split. Ten uses Toxic. Following that, crab guy uses a one-action Solar Beam. This happens at the very end of the action and costs crab guy extra effort to pull off in one go.

crab guy's energy:
Solar Beam (one-action): (120+20)/20 = 7% - 1% (STAB) + 3% (one-action) = 9%
Total: 9%

Solar Beam (one-action): 12% + (12/4) = 3% (STAB) = 15% x 1.5 (Grass to Rock) = 22.5% round down = 22%
Total: 22%

Ten's energy
Toxic: 4%

Toxic: 1% (2% round total)
90% accuracy (roll ≤ 90 for hit): rolled 27, hit
Total: 1%

Action Three

(Ten's Pain Split conditional activates if Ten drops below (crab guy's health - 40), which is in this case 59%.) Ten is at 52% health, so Ten uses Pain Split. crab guy sees him starting Pain Split and tries to use Protect. Because she is not using Protect consecutively, Protect is successful and Pain Split is not.

crab guy's energy:
Protect: 2% + 23/3 round up = 8% (blocking Pain Split counts as blocking a non-damaging attack, and therefore incurs no extra energy)
Total: 10% 2%

Pain Split: Ten regains health, (99 - 52)/2 = 23.5%, round down = 23%, negated by Protect
(crab guy's health is 99%, Ten's health is 52%)

Ten's energy
Pain Split: 23% 2% (Pain Split does not incur extra energy costs if its damage is prevented - energy of Pain Split is dependent on the amount of damage dealt)
Total: 23% 2%

Toxic: 1% (2% round total)
Pain Split: crab guy loses health, (99 - 52)/2 = 23.5%, round down = 23%, negated by Protect
(crab guy's health is 99%, Ten's health is 52%)
Total: 1%

Round Total

crab guy's energy:
100% - 3% 2% (Protect) - 9% (Solar Beam one-action) - 10% 2% (Protect) = 78% 87%

74% - 0% - 22% (Solar Beam) - 0% = 52%

Ten's energy:
94% - 4% (Taunt) - 4% (Toxic) - 23% 2% (Pain Split) = 63% 84%

100% - 0% - 1% (Toxic) - 1% (Toxic) = 98%

Notes:

• Speed order: Tenorock (50) > crab guy (23).
  • For the first action's Protect, I added 1% energy for successfully blocking Taunt - since it's really just words, I figured it wouldn't take much to block it. there is no extra energy cost because Taunt is a non-damaging move.
  • In keeping with the "disadvantage the user," I rounded the damage caused/healed from Pain Split down. Though it only matters for energy.
  • I'm mixing sources for Pain Split (the database and this post). The database specifies the energy cost, so I went with that despite Negrek's post. The database does not specify what happens if Pain Split is blocked, so I used Negrek's post for that. Conclusions drawn from that logic are posted below:
  • Ten didn't recover any health from Pain Split, but because it was blocked by an outside force (Protect), he still had to pay the extra energy.
  • According to the database, the extra energy is equal to the amount of health that would have been gained.
  • I changed things about Pain Split but didn't feel like rewriting the notes just now. don't even know how to rewrite the notes because it's kind of confusing XD
  • Rewritten summary:
  • Protect costed no extra energy on the first and third action due to blocking non-damaging attacks. This is the precedent I'll use for the rest of this battle, but may look into changing for future battles!
  • Pain Split costs energy based on its damage dealt, not the health that would have been restored. (I'm pretty sure that's the proper conclusion out of all this editing!)
  • Eifie commands first.

Last edited:
I am, as usual, tired and in a hurry, so for now I'm just posting the things that jump out at me right away. I haven't yet looked closely at the other calculations.

Protect doesn't cost any extra energy when blocking non-damaging moves such as Taunt. For all those, it's just a flat 2% energy. The same is true for Pain Split; Negrek mentions an extra 1% energy there, actually, but as far as I know that's not something that's true today. That may have been part of the old scale.

I could have sworn there was an actual thing about the energy cost when Pain Split is prevented by Substitute or something, but apparently I've just made that up entirely. However, when Pain Split is blocked in a way where it can't even deal any damage (which makes this different from the Heal Block situation), it should be costing the base 2% energy. By the way, I think Negrek misspoke in that post where she said "half the health recovered"; she almost certainly meant "half the difference", i.e. the amount of health recovered.

The thing I wanted you to see this round (but it's very hard to actually stumble upon it yourself, so I'm not going to fault you for it or anything) is that Pokémon are really bad at judging health and energy totals, whether it's their own or their opponent's. Ten had no way of knowing for sure whether his health was 40-99% less than Lilith's, so the Pain Split thing could've gone either way. It's certainly acceptable to have him default to it on the third action because he took a heavy amount of damage from Solar Beam, so mostly I just want you to be aware of this fact.

And now I am going to go collapse into bed. Patience, Lilith!

Back
Top Bottom