• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Stryke vs Eifie

Protect doesn't cost any extra energy when blocking non-damaging moves such as Taunt. For all those, it's just a flat 2% energy.
Fixed.

The same is true for Pain Split; Negrek mentions an extra 1% energy there, actually, but as far as I know that's not something that's true today. That may have been part of the old scale.

I could have sworn there was an actual thing about the energy cost when Pain Split is prevented by Substitute or something, but apparently I've just made that up entirely. However, when Pain Split is blocked in a way where it can't even deal any damage (which makes this different from the Heal Block situation), it should be costing the base 2% energy. By the way, I think Negrek misspoke in that post where she said "half the health recovered"; she almost certainly meant "half the difference", i.e. the amount of health recovered.
(I'm mainly rephrasing this to check if I understand) So for Protect purposes, Pain Split counts as a non-damaging attack? When Pain Split is unsuccessful in causing damage, the user doesn't pay the extra energy cost. And when it is successful in causing damage, the user pays the energy cost regardless of how much health it actually gets back?

The thing I wanted you to see this round (but it's very hard to actually stumble upon it yourself, so I'm not going to fault you for it or anything) is that Pokémon are really bad at judging health and energy totals, whether it's their own or their opponent's. Ten had no way of knowing for sure whether his health was 40-99% less than Lilith's, so the Pain Split thing could've gone either way. It's certainly acceptable to have him default to it on the third action because he took a heavy amount of damage from Solar Beam, so mostly I just want you to be aware of this fact.

Ah, I would have missed that. That makes sense, since it seems like a very specific thing that would be hard for a non-computer to be aware of. Noted for the future.

I edited the calculations. I always end up making these edits late at night, so let me know if I missed something again and I'll fix it when it's not so late! (Apparently we both tend to do these things at the end of the day haha)

Apparently, it's allowable to charge some small cost (like 1%) for Protecting against non-damaging moves. Nobody else I talked to knew this, so I guess we all learned something new today! (So, if you prefer, you can charge an extra 1% for Protect against both Taunt and Pain Split, as long as you keep this consistent.)

(I'm mainly rephrasing this to check if I understand) So for Protect purposes, Pain Split counts as a non-damaging attack? When Pain Split is unsuccessful in causing damage, the user doesn't pay the extra energy cost. And when it is successful in causing damage, the user pays the energy cost regardless of how much health it actually gets back?

That's correct. Pain Split is, after all, a status move, or whatever they call that class of moves that aren't physical or special. A better metric for the energy cost of Pain Split would probably be the amount of damage the foe takes from it. When things like Heal Block aren't in play, that's equivalent to the amount of health regained.

Ah, I would have missed that. That makes sense, since it seems like a very specific thing that would be hard for a non-computer to be aware of. Noted for the future.

By the way, while we're talking about computers, even computer-like Pokémon like Porygon are no different in this regard. Negrek's said so somewhere, but I don't feel like digging it up right now. (edit: here)

I forgot to say so a few days ago (well, really I was just being lazy and waiting for you to reply first), but the rest of the calculations look fine. I hope I'll post commands tomorrow... but yesterday I was thinking that today I would try to post tournament commands, and that totally didn't work out.

Last edited:
Right, one other thing I meant to say is that you accidentally put in Tommy's info instead of Lilith's in the end-of-round stats.

All right, half-assed commands are a go! Lilith, I want you to start with a Solar Beam unless Ten uses Pain Split. Once he gets off a Pain Split, use Giga Drain on his energy for the rest of the round. Otherwise follow up that Solar Beam with a Brine and then Bullet Seed. If Ten's Protecting and you're not meant to be using Giga Drain, go for Swords Dance, Curse, Substitute (10%) if it's the first, second, third action, respectively. Also do so if he's unhittable for some reason other than Protect, Substitute, or Double Team, regardless of what move you're supposed to be using.

Solar Beam (one action) / Giga Drain (energy) / Swords Dance ~ Brine / Giga Drain (energy) / Curse ~ Bullet Seed / Giga Drain (energy) / Substitute (10%)

Oy Vey Ten... we should get attacking.... but, let's not.

First off, use Double Team, because it makes things easier. Next, use Toxic, because it shouldve been done awhile ago. And finally, use Mimic, cause I'm feeling lucky. If you happen to have one clone or less remaining at any point, re-Double-Team.
Double Team~Toxic/Double Team/Mimic/Double Team

Round Seven

Stryke (XO)
Spr_5b_299_s.png

Tenorock the male Nosepass
Speed: 30
Ability: Magnet Pull
(Prevents Steel-type opponents from switching out or escaping. Can pull in Steel-types or reveal them when hidden with the use of an action.)
Item: ---
Health: 52%
Energy: 63% 84%
Commands: Double Team~Toxic/Double Team/Mimic/Double Team

Eifie (XO)
Lileep
Lilith the crab guy the female Lileep
Speed: 23
Ability: Storm Drain
(Absorbs Water moves, raising Special Attack by one stage. Redirects single-target Water moves to this Pokémon where possible.)
Item: Lucky Egg
(Gives the holder one extra experience point whenever it participates in battle.)
Health: 98%
Energy: 78% 87%
Status: A little winded. [Toxic poisoned (2% this round, 3% next round)]
Commands: Solar Beam (one action) / Giga Drain (energy) / Swords Dance ~ Brine / Giga Drain (energy) / Curse ~ Bullet Seed / Giga Drain (energy) / Substitute (10%)

-----

Fuming, Ten ground his rock arms around in a circle, producing a harsh grating sound. This just wouldn't do. The arrogant old rock needed to be taught a lesson. But first, Ten needed to protect his own resources. Concentrating so furiously that he let out a low, magnetic hum without even realizing it, Ten darted in a perfect square on his end of the field. In his polished-rock wake, four perfect copies of the Nosepass appeared, one in each corner of the square, and then scattered in straight lines away from the original. Lilith, over on the other end of the field, had been fairly preoccupied with her self-care routine, rubbing her arms together to make them shine when she waved them in the air. With a noise of discontent, she looked at the five Tenorocks with dismay. Which one was him? If only she had paid more attention. She was great at those "watch which Clamperl the real pearl is hidden under" games. Not to be outdone, Lilith stretched her arms wide and stared straight up into the sun, gathering its energy again. The power of the sun scorched her and she shook slightly with the effort of charging up so much energy, and when she released the scorching beam, she doubled over to catch her breath. She looked up just in time to see the sun beam strike home, bowling the real Ten over and obliterating the clones.

Crying out with the pain of the strike, Ten shuddered as he dragged himself back to his feet, pulling on the earth's magnetic field to right himself. All of his hard-won clones were gone, just like that; he stamped the ground with a foot and made another methodical dash around the field, replenishing his clones. Lilith groaned; again she had been looking down and missed Ten's clone creation. She leaned back, gargling some old water left from ancient times. It tasted awful in her mouth, full of salt and minerals, and she forcefully spit it at one of the Tenorock's. The water drenched the rock-type and it squealed before vanishing: a clone.

Pleased with his successful clones, Ten replayed Lilith's last move, memorizing her movements. He made a few experimental gargles until he got it right. Pleased, he twirled around, relishing the new skill he had learned, even if it was pretty difficult for him. Lilith wasted no time; the poison turning through her system was making her agitated. She leaned back, forming seeds in her mouth, and shot them in quick bursts at one of the Tenorocks. Dismayed, the first clump passed straight through the clone, and the second tore it up entirely.

-----

Stryke (XO)
Spr_5b_299_s.png

(Prevents Steel-type opponents from switching out or escaping. Can pull in Steel-types or reveal them when hidden with the use of an action.)
Health: 30%
Energy: 68% 71% 75%
Used: Double Team ~ Double Team ~ Mimic (Brine)

Eifie (XO)
Lileep
(Absorbs Water moves, raising Special Attack by one stage. Redirects single-target Water moves to this Pokémon where possible.)
(Gives the holder one extra experience point whenever it participates in battle.)
Health: 95%
Energy: 71% 68%
Status: Displeased at her inaccuracies. [Toxic poisoned (3% this round, 4% next round)]
Used: Solar Beam (one-action) ~ Brine ~ Bullet Seed​

Action One

Ten uses Double Team and produces four clones. Because Ten's not using Pain Split or Protect, Lilith uses a one-action Solar Beam. She hits the real Ten and all of his clones disappear.

crab guy's energy:
Solar Beam (one-action): (120+20)/20 = 7% - 1% (STAB) + 3% (one-action) = 9%
Total: 9%

Ten's health/crab guy's damage dealt:
Solar Beam: 12% + (12/4) = 3% (STAB) = 15% x 1.5 (Grass to Rock) = 22.5% round down = 22%
Critical hit (roll ≤ 5 for critical hit): rolled 68, no CH
Double Team accuracy (roll ≤ 1 out of 5 for hitting the real Ten): rolled 1, hit Ten
Clones destroyed: 4 of 4, 0 left
Total: 22%

(Ten's health, end of action one: 52% - 22% = 30%)

Ten's energy
Double Team: 4 clones*1% = 4%
Clones produced: Boosted Speed = 50/12.5 = 4
Total: 4%

crab guy's health/Ten's damage dealt:
Toxic: 1% (3% round total)
Total: 1%

Action Two

Ten realizes he has zero clones left and so uses Double Team. Lilith uses Brine. It hits one clone, leaving Ten with 3 clones.

crab guy's energy:
Brine: (65*2+20)/20 = 7.5% round up = 8%
Total: 8%

Brine: (6.5*2)% = 13% x 1.5 (Water to Rock) = 19.5% round down = 19%
Critical hit (roll ≤ 5 for critical hit): rolled 13, no CH
Double Team accuracy (roll ≤ 1 out of 5 for hitting the real Ten): rolled 5, hit a clone
Clones destroyed: 1 of 4, 3 left
Total: 0%

Ten's energy
Double Team: 4 clones*1% = 4%
Clones produced: Boosted Speed = 50/12.5 = 4

Action Three

Ten uses Mimic, which turns into Brine. Lilith uses Bullet Seed. It hits one clone, leaving Ten with 2 clones.

crab guy's energy:
Bullet Seed: 50/20 = 2.5% - 1% (STAB) = 1.5% round up = 2%
Total: 2%

Bullet Seed: (25x2)/10 = 5% + (5/4) = 1.25% (STAB) x 1.5 (Grass to Rock) = 9.375% round down = 9%
Number of strikes (roll ≤ 16 for 5, ≤ 33 for 4, ≤ 66 for 3, ≤ 100 for 2): rolled 69, 2 hits
[using Gen V mechanics: (roll ≤ 16.7 round down = 16 for 5, ≤ 16.7+16.7 = 33.4 round down = 33 for 4, ≤ 33.4+33.3 = 66.7 round down = 66 for 3, ≤ 66.7+33.3 = 100 for 2)]
Double Team accuracy (roll ≤ 1 out of 4 for hitting the real Ten): rolled 4, hit a clone
Clones destroyed: 1 of 3, 2 left
Hit One:
Critical hit (roll ≤ 5 for critical hit): rolled 94, no CH
Hit Two:
Critical hit (roll ≤ 5 for critical hit): rolled 41, no CH
Total: 0%

Ten's energy
Mimic: 5% 1%
Total: 5% 1%

Round Total

crab guy's energy:
87% - 9% (Solar Beam one-action) - 8% (Brine) - 2% (Bullet Seed) = 68%

52% - 22% (Solar Beam) - 0% (Brine, hit a clone) - 0% (Bullet Seed, hit a clone) = 30%

Ten's energy:
84% - 4% (Double Team) - 4% (Double Team) - 5% 1% (Mimic) = 71% 75%

98% - 1% (Toxic poisoning) - 1% (Toxic poisoning) - 1% (Toxic poisoning) = 95%

Notes:

• Speed order: Tenorock (50) > Lilith (23).
  • Lilith's moves hit clones on the second and third actions.
  • Tenorock has Mimic'd Brine and now knows that move for the duration of the battle.
  • Mimic can target a particular move, but without specification, chose the last move used by Lilith.
  • Stryke commands first.

Last edited:
Looks good, for the most part. I wouldn't have charged nearly so much energy for Mimic. I'm guessing you got that from my tournament battle with MD; usually refs will go more in the direction of 1-2% energy for Mimic, with Mimic costing more energy if the move to be mimicked happened several actions ago. Since the move Ten was copying had just happened, I would, well, strongly disagree with charging more than 2% energy for Mimic, or 3% if you absolutely must. I suppose it's up to you there, though.

As for your approval, I suppose we can go with what we discussed over PM whenever you feel like it. I don't really feel that waiting another couple of rounds before approving you would provide much benefit.

Stryke, you can go ahead and command.

(reading this over I think I sound really grumpy lmao but I'm just tired ok)

Looks good, for the most part. I wouldn't have charged nearly so much energy for Mimic. I'm guessing you got that from my tournament battle with MD; usually refs will go more in the direction of 1-2% energy for Mimic, with Mimic costing more energy if the move to be mimicked happened several actions ago. Since the move Ten was copying had just happened, I would, well, strongly disagree with charging more than 2% energy for Mimic, or 3% if you absolutely must. I suppose it's up to you there, though.
I was going off of that battle, yeah. I'll do 1% energy then, since she did just use it. I was going to charge 2% because it seems like a hard move for a Nosepass to use, but I suppose that can apply whenever Ten uses it.

Also I totally had Ten and Lilith's end-of-round energies switched. Fixed that too!

As for your approval, I suppose we can go with what we discussed over PM whenever you feel like it. I don't really feel that waiting another couple of rounds before approving you would provide much benefit.
:D That works for me! And yeah, I think I mainly just need more practice/exposure to weird situations xD

All right, consider yourself approved, unless MF finds something catastrophically wrong with your reffings!

Well, I'll keep it simple: ice punch a lot. If Lilith uses any status moves, magic coat.

Ice Punch/Magic Coat~Ice Punch/Magic Coat~Ice Punch/Magic Coat

(Just to be clear: is the battle still in progress? Sandstone got approved, so I'm not sure if that means that the battle over.)

(Just to be clear: is the battle still in progress? Sandstone got approved, so I'm not sure if that means that the battle over.)

Yep! She'll continue reffing it to the end.

All right, Lilith! Start with a Rock Slide to get rid of those clones—if Ten still has clones after that, keep trying until there's just one of him left. Then go with Energy Ball and Brine. If you find yourself too frozen to use Rock Slide, try to sweep a Secret Power around to destroy the clones instead.

Rock Slide / Secret Power ~ Energy Ball / Rock Slide / Secret Power ~ Brine / Rock Slide / Secret Power

Round Eight

Stryke (XO)
Spr_5b_299_s.png

Health: 30%
Energy: 68% 71% 75%
Commands: Ice Punch/Magic Coat~Ice Punch/Magic Coat~Ice Punch/Magic Coat

Eifie (XO)
Lileep
Health: 95%
Energy: 71% 68%
Status: Displeased at her inaccuracies. [Toxic poisoned (3% this round, 4% next round)]
Commands: Rock Slide / Secret Power ~ Energy Ball / Rock Slide / Secret Power ~ Brine / Rock Slide / Secret Power

-----

The wind swirled around Ten as he and his two clones stood resolutely in the swaying grass. Holding his head high, he set his steeled eyes on his target. Firmly he placed his feet in line with the earth's magnetic fields and held his arms out from his sides. The clones mimicked his movements perfectly and a joyous, desperate energy surged through him - he was his very own Nosepass army. Ice crawled up and down his arms and he gathered the energy together in his hands before leaping forth and smacking Lilith in the side with it. The Lileep crooned in pain and retaliated with a rolling, rocking motion; her slight shivers from poison and icy cold accentuated her ancient dance. Suddenly the ground between Ten and Lilith burst open, raining jagged rocks down onto Ten and his clones. Ten let out a strangled shriek as his hard-won clones disintegrated and he was left alone, feeling some of his strange determination feeling ebbing away.

Ignoring the cold pit of dread growing in his stomach, Ten's fists slicked themselves with ice again and he swung them at Lilith. Flakes of frost scattered around his strike and he pulled back quickly, watching to see if the ice took hold. Lilith shuddered but scuttled backwards, making unnecessary movements to check her condition: still mobile. Closing her eyes briefly, she wiggled her tentacle arms and siphoned off a stream of grassy energy. Ten watched it, mesmerized, as the very motion of the grass and the wind was transformed into a green sun just before him. With a whistle of wind and a bright flash of light, the orb struck Ten down before he could even register it as a threat.

He picked himself back up with difficulty. Oh, this was not how he was going to go down, not to the likes of this undignified Rock-type. With one final burst of effort, Ten struck Lilith with his frosty fists, feeling the cold deep within his rock fingers. Lilith screamed with fury and frustration. She had one, final thing to say to this Nosepass: she gargled up saltwater and drizzled it over him with a forceful spray.

The saltwater snaked its way over Ten's head and hands, cracking the ice covering his fists. It soaked straight through him and the pain of his wounds ached with the sting of saltwater. Exhausted, he let himself fall down into the grass, short legs hanging up in the air. Oh, how good it felt to not have to move. Ten closed his eyes, and the relief of not moving made tears leak from his eyes. And he didn't even mind that the Lileep who had caused him such grief still stood before him, waving her arms around in the air, catching the now-setting sun, in a stunningly glorious display. The world spun around them as the sun set over the field, and Ten drifted off into a dreamless sleep.

-----

Stryke (XX)
Spr_5b_299_s.png

Health: 0% - Knocked Out! (capped)
Energy: 63%
Status: Utterly exhausted, but finally resting. [+2 Speed, 0 clones remaining]
Used: Ice Punch ~ Ice Punch ~ Ice Punch

Eifie (XO)
Lileep
Health: 58%
Energy: 53%
Status: Swaying gloriously, obliviously, victoriously. [Toxic poisoned (4% this round, 5% next round)]
Used: Rock Slide ~ Energy Ball ~ Brine​

Action One

Ten uses Ice Punch, Lilith uses Rock Slide to remove clones.

crab guy's energy:
Rock Slide: 75/20 = 3.75% + 1% (added effect) - 1% (STAB) = 3.75% round up = 4%

Rock Slide: 7.5*(3/(2+3)) = 4.5% +7.5/4 = 1.875% = 9.375% 6.375% round down = 9% 6%
90% accuracy (roll ≤ 90 for hit):
Ten: rolled 31, hit
Clone 1: rolled 71, hit
Clone 2: rolled 48, hit
Clones destroyed: 2 of 2, 0 left
30% chance of flinching (roll ≤ 30 for flinch): rolled 35, no flinch
Critical hit (roll ≤ 5 for critical hit): rolled 10, no CH
Total: 9% 6%

Ten's energy
Ice Punch: 75/20 = 3.75% round up = 4%

Ice Punch: 7.5% x 1.5 (Ice to Rock/Grass) = 11.25% round down = 11%
10% chance of freezing (roll ≤ 10 for freezing): 17, no freezing
Critical hit (roll ≤ 5 for critical hit): rolled 42, no CH
Toxic: 1% (4% round total)
Total: 12%

Action Two

Ten uses Ice Punch, Lilith uses Energy Ball because she was successful at removing his clones.

crab guy's energy:
Energy Ball: 90/20 = 4.5% - 1% (STAB) = 3.5% round up = 4%

Energy Ball: 9% + (9/4) = 2.25% (STAB) x 1.5 (Grass to Rock) = 16.875% round down = 16%
10% chance of lowering SpD (roll ≤ 10 for lowering): 87, no lowering
Critical hit (roll ≤ 5 for critical hit): rolled 7, no CH
Total: 16%

Ten's energy

10% chance of freezing (roll ≤ 10 for freezing): rolled 42, no freezing
Critical hit (roll ≤ 5 for critical hit): rolled 7, no CH
Toxic: 2% (4% round total)
Total: 13%

Action Three

Ten uses Ice Punch again. Lilith uses Brine.

crab guy's energy:
Brine: 65/20 = 3.25% x 2 = 6.5% round up = 7% (65*2+20)/20 = 7.5% round up = 8%
Total: 7% 8%

Brine: 6.5% x 2 x 1.5 (Water to Rock) = 19.5% round down = 19%
Total: 19%

Ten's energy

10% chance of freezing (roll ≤ 10 for freezing): 51, no freezing
Critical hit (roll ≤ 5 for critical hit): rolled 80, no CH
Toxic: 1% (4% round total)
Total: 12%

Round Total

crab guy's energy:
68% - 4% (Rock Slide) - 4% (Energy Ball) - 7% 8% (Brine) = 53% 52%

30% - 9% 6% (Rock Slide) - 16% (Energy Ball) - 19% (Brine) = 0% (capped on action 3)

Ten's energy:
75% - 4% (Ice Punch) - 4% (Ice Punch) - 4% (Ice Punch) = 63%

95% - 12% (Ice Punch and Toxic poisoning) - 13% (Ice Punch and Toxic poisoning) - 12% (Ice Punch and Toxic poisoning) = 58%

Notes:

• Speed order: Tenorock (50) > Lilith (23).
  • Lilith's Rock Slide took out Ten's clones on action one.
  • Ten's damage was capped on action three, but the cap was still higher than his remaining health, so it didn't much matter.
  • And with that, Eifie is the winner! I'll wait to close the battle in case I need to change anything, but barring any major changes, Eifie gets $20 and 2 experience/happiness for Tommy and 3 experience/2 happiness for Lilith (because of her Lucky Egg - how do I enter that into the database?), and Stryke gets $10 and 1 experience/happiness for Dot com and 2 experience/happiness for Tenorock.
  • Good battle, you two! I hope you had fun - thanks for being my practice battlers :)

Last edited:
Looks good! I think most refs like to charge a penalty to Rock Slide's damage for hitting multiple targets even if the other targets are clones, and it's probably a pretty good idea for you to apply that rule as well. The rule for the multiple target damage decrease is this: if a move damages multiple opponents but not allies, its base power is multiplied by 3/(2 + X), where X is the number of targets (whether it hits all of them or not), because the move needs to be spread over multiple targets, thus "diluting" it, I guess. If a move damages everyone else on the field (like Surf or Earthquake), that's an indicator that the move is spread out by nature, so it doesn't suffer a damage penalty. I think this rule is still not documented anywhere except the old Attacks and Abilities guide, but I don't feel like mentioning this anywhere right now...

You forgot to add an extra point of energy to Brine for having over 100 base power, but apart from that, everything seems fine from a quick look (and now that you're approved, I'm not going to be doing more than that). Thanks for the excellent reffing, my apprentice! :o I very much enjoyed your characterization of my Pokémon! And thanks for the battle, Stryke!

As for the Lucky Egg thing, the database will see that Lilith was holding a Lucky Egg when this battle started, so when you check off that she participated it'll add that extra point for you automatically. You don't need to do anything extra.

(One extra thing you do need to do, though, if you don't mind: the database is going to automatically give all of us the monetary rewards for a regular battle, so just send Zhorken a VM or something linking to this battle and she can adjust the numbers.)

Fixed and sent Zhorken a message! I was wondering about Rock Slide, but then I kinda thought it didn't matter because it was supposed to be a multi target move in the first place. Now I know.

Thanks for the excellent reffing, my apprentice! :o I very much enjoyed your characterization of my Pokémon! And thanks for the battle, Stryke!
^_^ Thanks for being my mentor! It was super fun and is actually good practice for story writing hehe.

You too! And congrats on becoming a certified ref, Sandstone!
:D Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom