• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Capitalist Democracy Mafia

JackPK

blame telegram
Pronoun
he/him
Capitalist Democracy Mafia
May contain satire.

This is an idea I had for a mafia game with an altered lynch mechanic, so read carefully.

CAPITALISM

In this game, money is a value you’ll all have to be concerned about. Town roles will have an income they receive at the end of the night, while anti-town roles have no such income and must resort to stealing money from the town if they want to rise to the top. The scum can share each night’s haul with each other as they wish, but for townies, it’s each person for themself!

Each role has a set income value that they’ll receive nightly (zero for anti-town, nonzero for town). In addition, some night actions can change some incomes, and some roles have inherent attributes that automatically change some incomes under certain circumstances.

Some night actions also must “charge” money from their user and/or their target in order to be used; if there is not enough money left to charge, the money will be withdrawn from the player’s next income. If that wouldn’t be enough to fulfill the required charge, the action will fail (but rest assured that incomes/costs will be assigned such that it’s very unlikely this could happen).

DEMOCRACY

How the lynch vote works is the biggest change, so read carefully.

Each day, everyone must submit a vote. (You can vote to lynch someone or you can vote to abstain.) Along with this vote, you must choose a dollar amount to pay. Votes are “weighted” by their monetary value; for example, a $10 vote is worth 10 times as much as a $1 vote. After this weighting is tallied, the proceeding with the highest monetary value is enacted.

For example:
  • There are three players left.
  • Players A and B each spend $5 to lynch Player C.
  • Player C only has $8 left, so he cannot spend enough to avoid being lynched.

As another example:

• Three players left.
  • Players A and B each spend $5 to lynch Player C.
  • Player C spends $11 toward abstaining.
  • There is no lynch.

The money everyone spends on their vote is deducted regardless of whether the outcome they voted for is what is enacted. You may change your vote or the amount of money you spend on it at any time before the day ends.

OTHER NOTES

This setup will include several roles whose primary purpose is to alter the flow of money in some way. In addition, variants on the following Mafia roles will be included: inspector, healer, jailkeeper, inventor, The Thing (gladiator), poisoner, roleblocker and redirector. I reserve the right to cut any of these if not enough people sign up.

Please note that the inspector variant in this game will function significantly differently to how inspector roles normally work, and as a result will be somewhat weaker. To compensate, all inspection results are guaranteed to be sane.

Scum players have powers that will act as they would in normal mafia games, plus steal funds from their target. There will be multiple scum power roles, so as a result, only one scum killing action and one scum non-killing action may be used per night.

Four out of 15 (26%) of my planned roles are scum. In the event that I have to start cutting roles, my goal is to keep the number of scum somewhere in the 20-30% range.

THE RULES

• Every day phase, every player must submit a vote to either lynch someone or abstain. Anyone who does not submit a vote will be considered to have spent one night’s worth of income (or all the money they have left, whichever is less) toward lynching themself. For every additional day in a row this happens, their one night’s worth of income will be double-weighted, then triple-weighted, and so on.
  • You don’t have to use your night action, but please tell me if you’re refraining from using it. Everyone with a night action must tell me what they’d like to do every night. Failing to do so once is a warning, and twice is a modkill.
  • The only players who can communicate out-of-game are those in the scum faction. I'll start a Quicktopic thread for this purpose so it can be shared upon the game's end along with the role descriptions and night action log.
  • Per requests from my last game, you may not post your role PM. You are, of course, allowed to publicly claim (or falsify) as much of it as you like, as long as you don’t copy the text of it word-for-word.
  • Phases will last two days.

I have 15 roles in mind, so signups will close once we have 15 players. If fewer people than that are interested, I’ll start cutting roles.

I'm doing my best to balance this, but I totally don't expect it to be perfectly balanced. Mostly I wanted to have fun with a new mechanic, and I hope you'll have fun, too!

Looks like we may have gotten as many people as are interested, so I'll leave sign-ups open for one day more so any stragglers can sign up, and then we'll begin.

Last edited:
Alright, twelve players. I'll cut one scum role and two innocent roles for a three-to-nine ratio (25% scum).

I'm sending out role PMs now, and we'll get started shortly.

Back
Top Bottom