• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

blazheirio889 vs. bulbasaur

RespectTheBlade

rage against the dying of the light
bulbasaur said:
For Blazhy:

6v6 doubles
Style: Set
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Perish Song, Destiny Bond, Final Gambit, Attract. 1 direct healer and 5 chills/Pokemon
Arena: Humber River

The battle starts at the mouth of the Humber River where it flows into Lake Ontario. The battlers find themselves on a bridge that arches over the river, close to where it spills into the lake. It is on the bridge that the battle will take place. Underneath the bridge, the water is deep and murky, and the banks are far apart. The bridge itself is for pedestrian use, though for the purposes of this battle, the bridge has been closed off on both ends, to prevent bystanders from being wounded, or cars from being thrown into the water. Destruction is fun and all, but it’s the ASB League that has to pay for the damages. While their pockets are ridiculously deep, let’s remember that they aren’t bottomless, hm?

Now it would be boring if the battle was confined to only one bridge, yes? And so every round, the battlers will be whisked to the next bridge that spans across the Humber River, gradually moving up the river and away from Lake Ontario. Thus the scenery, the width and depth of the river, the type of bridge… all that and more changes every round.

There are four types of bridges: pedestrian, road, highway, and rail bridges. Not only do they affect the surface under the battlers’ feet, they affect something much more profound: the seasons. Due to ASB physics being impossible and awesome, the season will change according to the type of bridge as follows: pedestrian bridges switch the season to Fall; road bridges, Winter; highway bridges, Spring; and rail bridges, Summer. During each season, two types gain a 2% damage boost after all calculations and modifiers. During Winter, Ice and Rock type attacks gain the boost. During Spring, Grass and Bug type attacks. Summer, Fire and Electric type attacks. And Autumn, Water and Flying attacks. Finally, during Summer and Fall, flocks of Swanna will be swimming in the river. They populate the air with honking and trilling, and generally just look pretty. (oh and in bulbasaur’s words, they “symbolize ABCD and Blazhy's love <3333”) So overwhelmed by the beauty of the scene and the sappy symbolism are the battlers that they can’t bring themselves to deal direct damage to their opponent while there are Swanna in the river.

Notes: It would be super-appreciated if the referee used Google Maps to look at the bridges and account for the scenery in their reffings! For those who can’t/won’t look at Google Maps for whatever reason, here’s a list of the first thirty bridges:
FRRTRRTRRFRRRFRRTHRFFFFFRFFRTH
F=Pedestrian, R=Road, H=Highway, T=Rail

blazheirio889(Blazhy)'s active squad:
Nephilim [F] Cleffa <Magic Guard>

Phalanx [M] Cradily <Suction Cups> @ Big Root

Neodymium [M] Riolu <Steadfast>

Adamantite [M] Anorith <Battle Armor>

Kreskin [M] Zorua <Illusion>

Lapudo [F] Venonat <Tinted Lens>

Rictal [F] Ghastly <Levitate> @ Lucky Egg

Luciferin [M] Eelektrik <Levitate> @ Thunderstone

Meihua [F] Mienfoo <Inner Focus>

Brainfart [F] <Soundproof>

bulbasaur's active squad:
Barium [M] Ivysaur <Overgrow> @ Big Root

Bromine [F] Vulpix <Flash Fire> @ Fire Stone

Aurum [M] Sandshrew <Sand Veil> @ Metronome

Oxygen [F] Pachirisu <Run Away> @ Leftovers

Bismuth [F] Riolu <Inner Focus> @ Expert Belt

Vulkan [M] Larvesta <Flame Body> @ Charcoal

Lithium [M] Slowpoke <Oblivious> @ King's Rock

Bagon [M] Bagon <Rock Head> @ Lum Berry

Pandora [F] Snorunt <Ice Body> @ Dawn Stone

Ampharos Is Awesome [F] Larvitar <Guts> @ Lucky Egg
Move Mod: Rock Wrecker

-Coin Flip says bulbasaur sends out first
-blazheirio889 sends out and attacks
-bulbasaur attacks
-I ref

Last edited:
Oh god i'm screwed aren't i DDDD:

Oh well, take the stage, Barium and Ampharos! Let's do this! FOR EXPERIENCE!

Thanks for taking this~

But would it be okay with you if we wait for the 2009 tourney semifinals to go up first, so I can switch my squad? I don't want to pound bulbasaur with a squad of fully-evolved Pokemon :P

Right, sorry for the delay. I've switched my squad around now. Let's see... Neodymium and Brainfart, let's go. Man I need to give you a better name.

I'll post again for commands later; quite busy at the moment, sorry. :x

So it's fall, and there are Swanna everywhere! So pretty! So exquisite! Absolutely gorgeous! The most exquisite scene you have ever set your eyes upon! You feel like you're going to cry from the sheer beauty of it all, don't you, Brainfart? So then let loose a barrage of Fake Tears at Barium. Except they aren't really fake. But that shouldn't alter the effects, right?

If your partner falls asleep for any reason, instead Screech at Barium. Hopefully it'll be loud enough to wake Neodymium up, even if it isn't directed at him. Also shut your eyes and Screech at Ampharos if he tries to Taunt you; he's faster, but hopefully you can shut your eyes quickly and drown out the majority of his words? Though Soundproof should help with that. If you are Tormented, alternate between Fake Tears and Screech.

Finally, if you can't Fake Tears or Screech at Barium for whatever reason, direct the attack at Ampharos instead. And if both are unavailable, give me a medium Substitute.

Fake Tears @Barium\Ampharos/Screech @Barium\Ampharos/Substitute (15%) x3

And Neodymium! Try to set up a medium Substitute as fast as possible. You're tied with Barium, so there's some margin for chance here, but try your best! After that, Agility and Nasty Plot. If Ampharos tries to Taunt you, close your eyes and drown it out with Screech, then proceed with whatever you were doing. Also Screech at Ampharos if your partner falls asleep for whatever reason.

Substitute (15%)/Screech @Ampharos ~ Agility/Substitute (15%)/Screech @Ampharos ~ Nasty Plot/Agility/Screech @Ampharos

Barium
Well, our friend Brainfart here has the equivalent of five conditionals this round. Should be something for her to chew on. So let us direct our attention to Neodymium, with a SleepPowder; it should be quick enough since he's waiting on Ampharos' action. Next, seed Neodymium. Finally, I see that their plan is to Blizzard and Ice Beam you; to stop that from hurting as much, try an Amnesia.

Sleep Powder @ Neodymium ~ Leech Seed @ Neodymium ~ Amnesia

Ampharos
Hmm… Let's see: if Neodymium is asleep, then Toxic him, otherwise, Screech Brainfart. Then, Dragon Dance and Iron Defense.

Toxic @ Neodymium / Screech @ Brainfart ~ Dragon Dance ~ Iron Defense

Blazhy vs. bulbasaur

Ah, the wonderful world of Canada. Its vast wilderness holds many a pokemon, and its taiga-like forests are the perfect place for Beartic and Ursaring and the like. One sight that’s caught the eye of the battlers is the Humber River, flowing into the mighty lake Ontario, filled with murky water. Above the river is a pedestrian bridge, used for quick transport and sightseeing, as most bridges are. This particular one, however, is completely cleared of pedestrians and surrounded by nervous onlookers and local police forces. The bridge is closed off at both ends, and signs are put up saying: “BRIDGE CLOSED FOR DOUBLE BATTLE BETWEEN EXPERIENCED TRAINERS. THOSE VALUING THEIR PERSONAL SAFETY ARE CAUTIONED TO STAY AWAY. WATCH FOR FALLING METEORS, EARTHQUAKES, VOLCANOES, TORNADOES, ETC.”

Moments later, Blazhy and bulbasaur appear, as does the ref, consulting a 50-page thick print off from Google maps. Clearly Blade hasn’t been to Canada very often. Blade thanks his kirlia and returns him to his bag.

Clearing his throat, Blade reads the terms of the battle: “Alright, 6-on-6 double battle between Blazheirio889 and bulbasaur, Damage cap 40%, Banned moves, DQ, etc., etc. I’m guessing you already know this.” Blade raises his flags.

“Release your Pokemon”

Four spherical objects fly through the air and release four pokemon. For Blazhy, a Riolu and a Whismur appear, while bulbasaur takes control of an Ivysaur and a Larvitar (named Ampharos for some reason.) The pokemon exchange hostile glares at each other, ready to fight. Then, Ampharos the Larvitar peers over the bridge and sees the flocks of Swanna floating in the river. He motions to the others, feeling all sense of hostility leave him, as do the rest. Bulbasaur and Blazhy also seem impressed by their beauty. Blade just dismisses the birds with a “meh, nature” kind of look, and then lowers his flags and motions for the battle to begin.

Team Blazhy {OOOOOO}

Riolu
Neodymium [M] Riolu
<Steadfast>
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Mood: <Wow... such beautiful Swanna...>

Whismur
Brainfart [F] Whismur
<Soundproof>
Mood: Mystified by the Swanna.

Team bulbasaur {OOOOOO}

ivysaur
Barium [M] Ivysaur
<Overgrow>
@Big Root
Mood: <What a pretty sight...>

Larvitar
Ampharos is Awesome [F] Larvitar
<Guts>
@ Lucky Egg
Mood: <Amazing...>

Round One Begin!

With all the Swanna prettying up the river, the hostility has left the four pokemon. Their trainers, however, haven't given up hope for a battle. Since the Pokemon have sworn to pacifism for the round, the trainers are forced to get creative with status moves. After the commands are given, the pokemon finally begin to attack, believing their actions aren't harming anyone that much. Barium's bulb begins to rumble a bit. Then the bulb explodes open and a puff of blue-green spores fly out and slowly drift over to Neodymium. Neodymium stares at the cloud, transfixed, and then is amazed as the spores begin to circle him. And with a simple utterance of <Huh...P-pretty...>, The Riolu drifts into a deep sleep. With Neodymium fast asleep, Ampharos the Larvitar moves next. She stares at the sleeping Neodymium and somewhat regrets what she's about to do... but orders are orders. Poison begins to bubble up in the Larvitar's mouth, a purplish-black sludge with a foul smell. With a final hesitant glance, Ampharos sprays the bubbling concoction over the Riolu. The small canine stirs a bit as the poison seeps into his skin. Brainfart turns from the Swanna and notices the commotion that's been going on. Angered, but still not geared towards becoming violent, the Whismur turns towards Ampharos and yells an overpowering screech, amplifying it with the special vocal cords and reverberating mouth that her species was given. Ampharos holds her hands against her ears to protect against the ear-shattering noise.

Barium also begins to regret his next move before he's done it. However, a little extra encouragement from bulbasaur helps him to move. Though not wanting to, Barium does realize he needs to fight, because he's in a battle. His bulb begins to rumble again. Rather than exploding open this time, it expands and contracts with an explosive force, firing a few small seeds out of it like shells out of a mortar. The seeds arc high into the sky and land right into Neodymium's fur. The seeds sprout immediately, a special plant fiber taking root and poised to begin sucking the Riolu's life force. Almost immediately, Barium feels a flow of energy from the Riolu to him. Neodymium begins to stir somewhat, jarred by the sudden transfer. Observing the scene, Ampharos feels a bit bad about the Riolu and how not many are respecting the awesome beauty of the Swanna. she decides to show up the others by performing a ceremonial dance in their honor (by the suggestion of her trainer). Ampharos begins majestically twirling and pirouetting, doing flips, and perhaps throwing in a hint of salsa. As she finishes, she feels slightly more powerful, owing it to the beauty surrounding her. Brainfart, actually taking time to observe the dance, is overwhelmed by the sheer majestic beauty and grace surrounding her. The Whismur begins to run around sobbing. Most of her tears manage to land on Barium. The Ivysaur takes a bit of mental pity on her, also moved by the dance of his teammate.

Observing the scene and wondering how he can make it work to his advantage, bulbasaur comes up with a convincing suggestion for Barium. He suggests that Barium forget about the events that've happened recently, so he doesn't feel as bad about fighting. bulbasaur's suggestion works, and Barium uses some of the limited psychic power he has dwelling inside him, and clears his mind of all the bad events of the battle. Neodymium remains asleep, though the seeds in his fur remain a somewhat painful reminder of his condition. The Riolu stirs more in his sleep, jarred by the roots digging into his skin. Ampharos, still watching the river and the Swanna, is reminded that she's in a battle once again by bulbasaur. The Larvitar grumbles a bit, then gets around to her move. A metallic liquid similar to Mercury or Gallium seeps over her skin. The liquid then turns near transparent, and hardens like a very mobile suit of armor. Ready for any other attacks, Ampharos wanders over to the guardrail and returns to admiring the Swanna in the river below. Brainfart, who's been watching as well, looks up from the river and then catches a glance of Neodymium, clearly in pain. Angered, she saunters over towards Barium and releases another ear-piercing screech, showing her obvious dislike of the situation. The poor Barium has no idea why the hostility is happening towards him, and just decides to shrug it off as soon as his hearing recovers. Suddenly Neodymium makes a loud wimper, stirring greatly. The poison has begun to work through his system, and it's obviously hurting him.

With that, Blade raises his flags, proclaiming the end of the round. Then, his Kirlia warps in, and using a time-field, warps the trainers and pokemon to another bridge farther up the river. A chilly wind blows across their new destination, a paved roadway bridge that has also been conveniently closed off. Fewer onlookers are here, but there are still a few left, drawn to ASB battles like stormchasers to a tornado.

Round One End!

Team Blazhy {OOOOOO}

Riolu
Neodymium [M] Riolu
<Steadfast>
Health: 97%
Status: Asleep (Light). Leech Seeded. Poisoned. (Very Severe, +1% damage per round)
Mood: <ZZzzzzzZZzzzz...Snrk...zzzz...urrrrf....>

Whismur
Brainfart [F] Whismur
<Soundproof>
Energy: 91%
Mood: <aww... where'd the Swanna go?>

Team bulbasaur {OOOOOO}

ivysaur
Barium [M] Ivysaur
<Overgrow>
@Big Root
Energy: 89%
Mood: Eyeing his new surroundings.

Larvitar
Ampharos is Awesome [F] Larvitar
<Guts>
@ Lucky Egg
Energy: 89%
Mood: Sadfaced about the disappearance of the Swanna.​

Arena Notes
The current stage is a road transportation bridge farther up the river. There are guardrails on either side, other than that, it's a flat, paved field. The weather has changed to winter; the trees are bare and snow covers the ground. Chunks of ice float through the river, and the water temp. is slightly above freezing. A cold wind blows through the arena. The Swanna are gone for now.

Ref's Notes
-I like how convenient the chemical names are. I can just abbreviate them in my notes as Nd and Ba. :3
-Leech Seed drains 1% health per action, and Toxic will get worse every round Plus three Screeches. These factors loosened the sleep quite a bit. I'd say about... two more actions, undisturbed.
-Since Neodymium fell asleep, Screech was used thrice. won't necessarily say that in the write-up, due to a small mishap. (see subsequent posts below.)
-Barium forgot Vine Whip for the remainder of battle due to Amnesia.

Next Round
-bulbasaur attacks
-Blazhy attacks
-I ref.

Last edited:
Sorry for not speaking up about this earlier, but if a Pokemon uses the same move to target different Pokemon, then it still counts as one conditional. That's how we've been operating in BfA. Whirlpool and... Skylark, I think it was? Had the same problem, but Kusari agreed with me, and Negrek never interjected, so I assume that the rule stands.

Also, what move did Amnesia cause Barium to forget?

-Brainfart's five conditionals per round gave her a, well, brainfart. Therefore, she still moved, but which attack she used and its target was randomized each action.

I believe the ruling that alternate targets are conditionals is outdated and superseded by the ruling that they do not count as conditionals for the three-per-round limit.

Hmm. Didn't see that, this is my... third double battle, I believe? Thanks, though, I'll work on editing that. Also, as far as amnesia goes, I forgot to mention that. Bulbasaur didn't specify a move (wasn't sure if he was supposed to), so I rng'd a random move, which was Vine Whip. I just forgot to copy that into the ref's notes.

(if bulbasaur is supposed to specify a move, I'll have him tell me and edit that in.)

No, the move's random.

Also, don't worry about editing the description! I enjoyed reading it and double battles are always horrendously time-consuming to write. Just the end calculations will be fine~

Ampharos
Stone edge x3 at Brainfart; if you see Brainfart Countering, direct it at Nd. If Nd's underground, Earthquake; if you're the target of a Supersonic, Teeter Dance, or Swagger, Protect. Latter clauses have priority.

Stone Edge (Brainfart\Nd)/Earthquake/Protect x3

Barium
Venoshock x3 at Nd. If Nd's underground, Chill. If you see Brainfart countering, direct a Venoshock at her. If you are the target of a Supersonic, Teeter Dance, or Swagger, Protect. Latter clauses have priority.

Venoshock (Nd\Brainfart)/Protect/Chill x3

Very very sorry for the delay.

Brainfart, if, by the time it's your turn to act, Neodymium is not awake, then use Uproar. If he is awake, then Mimic Barium's Sleep Powder. It's only been a round since it's been used, so you should be able to remember it!

Follow it up with Icy Wind, then if you managed to Mimic Sleep Powder, go ahead and douse Barium in the stuff. Otherwise, wait for Ampharos to attack you. If all three Stone Edges hit, then end with an Endeavour at Barium to bring us up to par! If any of them missed, just give me a medium Substitute.

Uproar/Mimic (Sleep Powder) ~ Icy Wind ~ Sleep Powder @Barium/Endeavour @Barium/Substitute (15%)

---

Neodymium, wait for Brainfart to execute her action, then use Low Sweep on Ampharos. Second action, another Low Sweep, and end with a Screech at Barium.

Wait and Low Sweep @Ampharos ~ Low Sweep @Ampharos ~ Screech @Barium

2015 Zhorken EDIT: 1 exp and happiness for each Pokémon; $8 for each trainer; $5 for RespectTheBlade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom