• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2014

Yay, thanks for making this thread.

I'm definitely giving it my all this year. Last year was really, really awful on my part. I didn't put in nearly the amount of effort that I needed to, and I had done literally no planning prior. This year, I have everything mapped out, and all that's left is the actual writing. I think I'll actually win this year.

I'll probably pass this time since I'm probably gonna have more than enough work with my thesis. Maybe I'll try again next year (I gave up halfway in last year because of Things, hopefully next year I'll be luckier) :C

Good luck to everyone who's participating, though! I'm gonna be stalking your progress just for the heck of it :D

Last edited:
I want to! This semester has been my most difficult so far, and with classes and activities, I have no free weekends in November. Since I want to do well, both at NaNo and college, I decided that I'm going to postpone my NaNoWriMo challenge and do it in December, over my winter break.

I wish you all luck in November! And if anyone would like to join me in December, let me know!

I've won the past 4 years.

Due to lack of time Senior year, I think not this year. I'll focus instead on editing things I've already written.

I composed a little playlist of instrumentals to get the creative juices flowing, this year. I think part of the reason I lost last year is because I was distracted and relatively unhappy with my workspace, but I think the songs I put together will make me a little bit more comfortable while I write. Does anyone else have specific music they prefer during writing?

Does it count if you continue an old novel?

It totally counts! :) Some people find it easier to start a new story, because you're not as attached to it and you might be more willing to diverge from all of your plans to follow the crazy paths NaNoWriMo might lead you down.

With an old story, you've got a lot more already established, which can be good because you've got a lot more to write about. It's also really satisfying to create a bunch more material for something you've been working on for a while!

So it's completely up to you! I've done NaNo's both ways, starting new stories and continuing old. Whatever you feel most inspired to write!

I wish i would participate but with schoolwork and everything and being very lazy (especially considering i got nothing done last year) i probably won't participate. Good luck to everyone else though!

Does it count if you continue an old novel?

That's what I'm doing. Picking up where I left off last year, since I started a week late last year and only got into the 30,000ish range by the end. I figure continuing an old story is perfectly fine so long as you don't count previously written bits toward your 50,000 for this year (that's cheating! XD)

Oh, and my story this year (...and last year) is actually Pokémon-related for once. First time I've written Pokémon fanfiction that I kept writing for more than a couple chapters since... 1999, actually. XD This one is sorta Mystery Dungeon-inspired... not quite an actual Mystery Dungeon story--not set in the world of any of the actual PMD games or anything, and not really using a lot of Mystery Dungeon specific stuff--but the "world populated entirely by Pokémon" idea of that series is definitely there.

One of the main characters is a male Jigglypuff who wears a hat with a metal plate with his name engraved on it attached, smokes cigars, has a different haircut instead of the "curly poof" of most Jigglypuffs, and runs a sort of Pokémon detective agency. A lot of the Pokémon showing up in this one are pretty unusual compared to the usual stereotype of how certain species are "supposed to" be, now that I think about it--there's a Lucario who's ancient, nearly blind, and walks with a cane... a Hitmonchan who works as his butler (and wears a suit instead of the usual Hitmonchan outfit)... a tribe of violent, racist Pikachus who believe that their species has some sort of divine right to rule the world...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom