• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Official 2010 Ban List

Phoenixsong

beep beep coming through
Pronoun
she/they/any
2010 Banned Pokémon List
Approved by Kratos Aurion and Vixie

Mew
Mewtwo
Wobbuffet
Ho-Oh
Lugia
Latias
Latios
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Deoxys (All formes)
Garchomp
Dialga
Palkia
Special Rotom Formes (Cut, Wash, Heat, Fan, Frost)
Manaphy
Giratina
Origin Giratina
Sky Shaymin
Regigigas (2-vs-2 only)
Darkrai
Arceus

On Probation: Salamence

*indicates newly banned Pokémon

If you would like to inquire as to why a Pokémon is banned or no longer banned, please feel free to do so.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Official 2008 Ban List

What Forme is Deoxys-E?

I also think I have a good idea. Limit other pokemon than the banned ones. What I mean by that is limit the amount of Pokemon you can have with base total stats of 580 or more to 1 or 2 Pokemon. Here's a list I found of the Top 100 highest-stated Pokemon.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/stat/all.shtml

580 covers about all legendaries and the semi-legendaries (Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamance, Garchomp, and Slaking). Tell me if there is a different thread stating the rules (banned moves, levels, ect.) .

E stands for Emerald.

And why? A high base stat total does not a dangerous Pokémon make. Articuno's total is 580 and yet you'll never see it used anywhere near as often as, say, Vaporeon or Milotic, both of which have lower stat totals. There is something wrong when you have to restrict Entei's use. There's no reason not to allow as many of the 493 total Pokémon as possible; so many of them are already relegated to lower tiers anyway. I see no need to impose a limit unless Pokémon like that consistently cause problems--and, so far, they have not in this league.

I was mainly trying to limit the use of Pokemon like Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamance, and Garchomp. Like only be able to use one or two. I guess it doesn't really matter since most of them have a pretty common weakness.

No, it just does the same thing as Wobbuffet, except badly.

I was mainly trying to limit the use of Pokemon like Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamance, and Garchomp. Like only be able to use one or two. I guess it doesn't really matter since most of them have a pretty common weakness.
This would only make things complicated.

Unless I'm missing something really obvious, why is Regigigas in the Uber tier? Isn't it rather unusable(Smogon was debating whether to place it in UU or not, after all)? Five turns is a long time to wait, and its Attack will be around 200 during that time, with its Sp. Attack faring no better, allowing many pokemon to set up on it and/or Roar him away.

It doesn't learn Protect, and using Confuse Ray and Thunder Wave limits its attacking options. Rock Polish might work-I haven't used Regigigas much at all- but what is it going to kill?

Last edited:

Regigigas is so much wasted potential. It could at least be a good wall with Rest, but they couldn't give it that.

That said, it'll probably be taken off now that you've mentioned it.

I fail to see how stats of 110, 80, 110, 80, 110, 100 are inherently bad. It has a good movepool and really it has the ability to survive for 5 turns. Once it breaks the 5 turn mark, gg with that Rock Polishable 100 base speed.

I fail to see how stats of 110, 80, 110, 80, 110, 100 are inherently bad. It has a good movepool and really it has the ability to survive for 5 turns. Once it breaks the 5 turn mark, gg with that Rock Polishable 100 base speed.

Like I said, Roar and Whirlwind reset that 5-turn counter, so a Skarmory could set up at least one layer of spikes and Roar it away. It has no means of self recovery outside of Lum Berry and not Protect, so statuses like paralysis, bad poisoning, burn and sleep can usually shut it down, potentially forcing a switch to an Aromatherapy user, which will reset the counter. Using Thunder Wave and Confuse Ray to stall out those five turns leaves you only two attacking moves, and it can't cover everything. using a support moveset wastes its Attack, and besides which others can do it better.

I think I'll just link to Smogon's Regigigas article. They say it better than I could.
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/regigigas

Yeah but if used correctly in Double Battles, Regigigas is a beast.

Not quite. The thing is, it just can't recover itself. It needs at least a couple of moveslots just to break down the enemy and get them unable to attack you for some of the five turns. After that, you're still not as good as you'd think.

All I know is that it shouldn't be banned. I think it has more potential than most people will give it credit for, I agree, but it isn't that good, really.

Hm.

To be honest, I still feel that Regigigas merits OU at least in 1-vs-1, but it definitely remains banned for 2-vs-2. Trouble Seed is a godsend -- ridding of Slow Start /and/ immunity to Sleep.

You can use a mean look/baton passing Absol to Regigigas, no? Or any other trap passer for that matter.

Personally, I don't like banning things "just because Smogon says" because the environment here and the environment at Smogon aren't the same. What applies to that group of super-competitive players, especially since most of them are playing on Shoddy which isn't exactly the same, is not always going to be as big a deal here. I also flat-out disagree with some of their choices--I really don't think Aerodactyl is UU, for example.

That said, I have been following the Garchomp discussion here as well as in a few other places. I'm not sure I'm going to ban it outright just yet; I'm still thinking about it. I am giving serious consideration to at least banning it in combination with Tyranitar and Hippowdon, as Mudkip suggested several months ago. I'm still thinking about it.

I am giving serious consideration to at least banning it in combination with Tyranitar and Hippowdon, as Mudkip suggested several months ago. I'm still thinking about it.
For the record, I dislike that approach if only because, sure, you can decide not to run garchomp with a sandstreamer or sandstorm-user, but what happens if your opponent has one? Doesn't seem fair to be all, "No making sandstorm teams, because if you do your opponent might have garchomp and then you'd have to deal with sand veil" or something.

Hmm, that's true. Forgot about that... well.

In that case, I suppose the best course of action would be to go ahead and ban it for now, but if I can think of a simple and logical way to do it the ban may be commuted to a restriction.

Back
Top Bottom