• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Japan... kinda sucks!

I've never liked Japan anyway. They've bombed us before, they lol-harpoon whales, and they often completely disregard the opinions of a lot of other countries. If they didn't make pokemon, i'd be very tempted to just nuke them out of spite.

Not over something like this, but yeah.. I just don't like that country at all.

you know they bombed us a very long time ago something tells me they aren't going to do it again. i hate it when people bring them up. really, they aren't going to throw a bomb at us anymore. i wouldn't use that as an example as to why you never really liked japan.

the whale harpooing is bad though.

I've never liked Japan anyway. They've bombed us before, they lol-harpoon whales, and they often completely disregard the opinions of a lot of other countries. If they didn't make pokemon, i'd be very tempted to just nuke them out of spite.

So... do you hate Germany because of the Nazis? @_@
Lol-harpoon whales? So does Iceland if I remember correctly, only nobody gives a damn.

Seriously... hating countries because of things they did in the past, which you probably weren't around for anyway, is just completely idiotic. People at my school hate the French and jeer whenever the country's name is mentioned. And they don't know why. All countries have done bad things.

If anything, hate their government. You shouldn't even joke about nuking a country 'out of spite' or because you think the government sucks.

Why am I bothering with this...

v. tempted to mention pots and kettles.

i mean, australia isn't exactly renowned as a centre of tolerance and equality either.

although on the other hand using pokemon as a justification for not bombing somewhere is pretty lulzy.

Stay classy, Japan. Rejecting blue-collar workers is the first step in wiping your country off the map. Who else is going to work in those factories? Perhaps my country should stop trading with you, since foreigners and working-class scum are too repulsive for you? Besides, why have them leave, when you can tax them instead?

and then we bombed them back.
now we're even.

20f6fki.jpg

Well, if Japan wants to be douchebags to the rest of the world, they almost have a right to do so. Where does a majority of our entertainment come from? Not from the US, that's for sure. Japan made their own image warped to the rest of the world. Now there are people going there, expecting it to be all anime and sunshine, when it's not. It's a country. It has problems and shortfalls just like any other country. It's similar to how when people go to Paris, they expect a magical place of fashion and cafés, but it's not. It's just a city. It's got pollution, crime and anything you'd expect from any city.
I think people don't know why they adore Japan. They also don't know why they hate France.Maybe if people stopped trying to view countries of the world with a sugarcoated lens that blocks out anything that could possibly be wrong, there wouldn't such a rift on what country is liked and which country is disliked. They're just countries. There's good in them, and there's bad also.

Well, if Japan wants to be douchebags to the rest of the world, they almost have a right to do so. Where does a majority of our entertainment come from? Not from the US, that's for sure.

So because Japanese people made good cartoons and video games, Japan's immigration policies are allowed to be much more stringent and xenophobic than should be expected of a developed nation?

Well, if Japan wants to be douchebags to the rest of the world, they almost have a right to do so. Where does a majority of our entertainment come from? Not from the US, that's for sure. Japan made their own image warped to the rest of the world.

Actually, the US does run the largest music industry and the largest film industry in terms of revenue. Japan produces a lot of popular video games, but for the most part anime has a very niche audience outside of Japan. I also don't really see how providing a lot of entertainment entitles them to be complete assholes...

Now there are people going there, expecting it to be all anime and sunshine, when it's not. It's a country. It has problems and shortfalls just like any other country. It's similar to how when people go to Paris, they expect a magical place of fashion and cafés, but it's not. It's just a city. It's got pollution, crime and anything you'd expect from any city.
I think people don't know why they adore Japan. They also don't know why they hate France.Maybe if people stopped trying to view countries of the world with a sugarcoated lens that blocks out anything that could possibly be wrong, there wouldn't such a rift on what country is liked and which country is disliked. They're just countries. There's good in them, and there's bad also.

I do agree with this - this doesn't make Japan the scum of the earth, but it isn't some kind of heaven on earth either. Japan is a country like any other - it's not the only one with a culture worth appreciating, nor is it the only one to pull shit like this.

Your reference to Paris reminded me of this article, which involves Japanese people finding another country to not be what they expected. Although in this case it appears to be permanently scarring and a little sad. :(

Japan made their own image warped to the rest of the world. Now there are people going there, expecting it to be all anime and sunshine, when it's not. It's a country. It has problems and shortfalls just like any other country. It's similar to how when people go to Paris, they expect a magical place of fashion and cafés, but it's not. It's just a city. It's got pollution, crime and anything you'd expect from any city.

Yes. ♥ I agree with this very much.

And also, I hate it when people go on about Japan and whaling. Iceland whales a whole lot too but the way people immediately jump on Japan at the very mention of the country because of whaling is so stupid. Very likely is that they don't know much about it, and your average Japanese citizen probably thinks whaling is cruel as well.

Seriously, the amount of people who hate Japan for whaling is bordering on racism in some cases, and most people don't even know Iceland actually does whaling as well.

Evidently there are two groups of people, people who realize Japan isn't perfect and then people who are defending it in all cases anyway

i mean i love japan but they need to stop being so xenophobic. there is nothing wrong with foreigners... tis dumb.

there's not a reason to defend it. if it clearly doesn't deserve defending anyways.

If they didn't make pokemon, i'd be very tempted to just nuke them out of spite.
Tried nuking Japan before. Twice.
That's a big part of why they came up with Godzilla.
Japan was the first country against which nuclear weapons were used (militarily, as I knowthat we tested one in New Mexico first), so it fell to reason that its legacy would become evident first in Japan. People didn't know very much about what radiation did back then, (and we still don't know everything now,) so while some hoped for the best, others feared the worst. Among these fears was that somehow, this radiation that had been infused into the lands of Nagasaki and Hiroshima would somehow spawn huge monsters with grudges against all civilization in general, and Tokyo in particular. Some man eventually managed to sell this idea on the silver screen, and created one of the most iconic monsters of the modern age.
What's my point?
You can nuke Japan, and decimate its towns, cutting through buildings and people like a well-made machete through thicket and bush, but like a the plants of a jungle, its people will move back and reclaim the space you've cleared away, sometimes even creating things better than before.

In any case, Japan's a pretty funky place- and I mean that, if not in a good way, then in as neutral of a way as possible. Ever since the dawn of Japanese civilization, it's managed to always retain a unique flavor, even while incorporating the ideas and values of other peoples and lands into its own. It does have a legacy, though, of radical xenophobia, and obviously, some people still feel that way today. What shocked me most, I have to admit, about that article, is that the bulk of immigrant workers being discussed were from Peru and Brazil.

On the topic of the offer of paying to send these workers back home if they'd agree not to return, I have to say that I find it considerate at least to offer them money. Sure, it's still just a gold plating a offer that's, at the least, pretty bad, but it's more appealing than just shoving a lousy offer in immigrants' faces and asking them to take it that way.

I guess what I mean to say is, that I wouldn't condemn a country for offering to help impoverished immigrants return to their home countries if they wanted to by giving them funding. I do, however, consider the clause forbidding reapplication for work visas rather harsh, even if I do see the logic behind it. If what people are reacting to here is the xenophobia in the article, then I'm just saying that though I'm not surprised, I still don't like it.

So... do you hate Germany because of the Nazis? @_@
No, but then again I don't remember them bombing my country. I only remember them slaughtering the people who are currently slaughtering other people over stupid things like gaza. I kinda like Germany, actually~
Lol-harpoon whales? So does Iceland if I remember correctly, only nobody gives a damn.
I'm pretty sure we protested in little dinghies, and japan harpooned one of our guys right out of the fucking boat and into the ocean. Iceland does it too? Well.. Butterfree should be using stunspore on them. >(

Honestly, if they like whale so much, then why don't they build a whale-breeding-farm and kill them in the most non-painful way possible? Sailing around harpooning things (to me) is the same as blood sports.
If anything, hate their government. You shouldn't even joke about nuking a country 'out of spite' or because you think the government sucks.
I wasn't joking, I just said that i'd be very tempted (which I would be)..
You'd nuke a country and kill all of its inhabitants out of spite?
Nasty, aren't I? ><;
i mean, australia isn't exactly renowned as a centre of tolerance and equality either.
How so? Point the negatives out for me, i'd like getting opinions on how other people view this country. xP
although on the other hand using pokemon as a justification for not bombing somewhere is pretty lulzy.
Well I likes pokemon.. I don't want to nuke pokemon.. =<

and then we bombed them back.
now we're even.
"Darwin, the largest population centre in northern Australia, was considered a vital asset in Australia's defences against an increasingly aggressive Japanese Empire in the 1930s. Its port and airfield facilities were developed, coastal defence batteries constructed and its garrison steadily enlarged. The outbreak of war in the Pacific resulted in the rapid enlargement of the military presence in Darwin and it was used as a base from which to deploy forces for the defence of the Dutch East Indies. In January and February these forces were overwhelmed by Japanese landings, usually preceded by heavy air attacks.

On 19 February 1942 Darwin itself was bombed. Japanese fighters and bombers attacked the port and shipping in the harbour twice during the day, killing 252 Allied service personnel and civilians. On 3 March Broome, in Western Australia, was strafed. In succeeding months air attacks were made on many towns in northern Australia including Wyndham, Port Hedland and Derby in Western Australia, Darwin and Katherine in the Northern Territory, Townsville and Mossman in Queensland, and Horn Island in the Torres Strait.

The 64th, and last, air raid on Darwin occurred on 12 November 1943. In total there were 97 air attacks on northern Australia and enemy air reconnaissance over the region continued through much of 1944."

Did Australia actually get to bomb them back? I don't think we're the type to bomb anyone. In either case, i'm really glad you guys nuked them.

How so? Point the negatives out for me, i'd like getting opinions on how other people view this country. xP

Perhaps the fact that the Indigenous Aboriginals were not recognised as anything other than 'fauna' until somewhere in the seventies? Hello, Stolen Generation? 17 year life expectancy gap between Aboriginal and Caucasian people?
how could you not know this. what the hell do you think all the apology bizzo was last year?

Did Australia actually get to bomb them back? I don't think we're the type to bomb anyone. In either case, i'm really glad you guys nuked them.

Yeah and I'm goddamn glad we aren't. it's bad enough we're still in the Middle East ffs

itt: felidire makes a bigger ass of himself

Back
Top Bottom