• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Referee Headquarters

Zhorken

groove out!
Pronoun
they or she
Note: If you were a ref in the old league and you want your position back, just post here and ask.

Referee Headquarters is the most prominent building in ASB Central. It is not only home to the offices of all current referees, but it is also responsible for processing new applicants and overseeing the promotion of already-approved referees.

Referee Headquarters

Referees are crucial to the health of an ASB league, as without them, battles cannot progress. The job of reffing is difficult, but referees get the best benefits of any ASB position. Approved referees are grouped into one of four ranks depending on the quality of their work. At present, these are the referees of TCoD and their ranks:

Elite Referees - Elite referees are the senior members of the referee squad and considered to produce the best reffings.

Current elite referees include: Byrus, Crazy Linoone, Kratos Aurion, Metallica Fanboy, Meursault, Negrek, pathos, Sangfroidish.

Advanced Referees - Although they have not yet attained the title of Elite, advanced referees are considered competent and active members of the reffing team.

Current advanced referees include: Dragon, Eifie, Keldeo, The Omskivar, Totodile, Trinket, Whirlpool.

Intermediate Referees - Having proven themselves in the Novice rank, intermediate referees are considered to actively post solid and consistent reffings.

Current intermediate referees include: Eta Carinae, JackPK, Superbird, TruetoCheese.

Novice Referees - Rookie referees have usually been recently approved. Although they understand the basics of reffing, their work lacks some of the polish of the higher ranks.

Current novice referees include: Aletheia, Arylett Charnoa, Coloursfall, Dazel, I liek Squirtles, Lord of the Fireflies, Music Dragon, Porygon2, RespectTheBlade, Sandstone-Shadow, Skyman, surskitty, Sylph, Vipera Magnifica.

Promotion

Referees are promoted based upon the quality of their reffings and their activity within the League. Although some people may be moved up the ranks without their request because the head referee notices that they are reffing a lot or producing particularly good reffings, they do not have time to evaluate each referee regularly and therefore may pass over some individuals deserving of a promotion. If you would like to request that your work be reviewed in the interest of a promotion, send [to be determined] a PM with links to two of your more recent reffings for them to evaluate.

Referee Pay and Benefits

Referees are responsible for keeping track of the rounds that they ref. They can redeem them any time they wish and in any number they wish by posting in the Bank with links to all the rounds they wish to claim money for and the amount that each round is worth. This depends both on the rank of the referee and the kind of battle being reffed.

The value of a reffing is calculated based on the number of Pokémon in the field at the beginning of a round. In an ordinary one vs one battle, this is two, so the base referee pay is multiplied by two for each round that a referee cashes in on this battle. In a double battle, on the other hand, there are usually four Pokémon on the field at a time, so the rate for such a battle is four times a referee's base pay. Later on in the battle, one of the Pokémon may have fainted; there might be a round in which only three Pokémon were still battling. In this case, the value of the reffing would be three times the referee's base pay.

A referee's base pay is based on their rank. For novices it is $2, for intermediate referees, $2.50, for advanced referees, $3, and for elite referees, $4. For intermediate referees, the final pay is rounded up to the nearest dollar when an odd number of Pokémon are present on the field.

Emergency referees' final pay is increased by $1 for each Pokémon on the field at the beginning of the round. Frequent emergency reffing will increase a referee's chance of earning a promotion.

If someone referees a player's first TCoD ASB battle all the way through, the referee gets a $15 bonus at the end of the battle.

If a battle is reffed within one week of the last set of commands being posted, there is a $2 bonus per Pokémon on the field ($4 for most battles, $8 for a double battle in which all Pokémon are still active, etc.)

A referee does not receive payment if they do not actually produce a round of reffing. There is no payment for just starting a battle thread if one or more of the trainers doesn't show up and the battle goes nowhere. Likewise, there is no payment for simply ending a battle in a tie or ending a battle by DQ, aside from whatever the referee might make from the end-of-battle prizes.

Some examples of hypothetical reffings and how much they would be worth:

1. A novice referee refs one round of a single battle: $4

2. A novice emergency referee posts a round in the battle above: $6

3. An advanced referee posts a round in that same battle: $6

4. A novice referee refs one round of a double battle: $8

5. An advanced referee refs one round of a double battle where one Pokémon has been knocked out (3 remaining in battle): $9

6. An elite referee refs one round of a double battle where two Pokémon have been knocked out (2 remaining in battle): $8

7. An elite emergency referee refs one round of a sixteen-Pokémon melee: $80

You must have an ASB account in order to enter battles into the database and receive your paychecks. It is recommended that you read through others' battles to familiarize yourself with the ASB system before attempting the quiz.

Becoming a Referee

If you're interested in reffing for this league, you must first be approved for the position.

I'm not sure how this is being handled at the moment; the info below has not been updated since 2015, and Negrek seems to have been running something different in 2017. If you're interested in becoming a referee, PM Trinket or Negrek to get things sorted out.

There are two steps to becoming a referee: passing the ref quiz and being approved during a test battle.

The Referee Quiz

The ref quiz consists of fifteen questions. Simply PM your answers to Zhorken for grading. If you get all of them correct, you will move on to the test battle stage. If not, Zhorken will respond to your PM with which questions were wrong along with some feedback, and you will have the opportunity to correct them and re-submit. If you do not succeed in getting everything right on your third attempt, you will have to wait until the next quiz is posted to make another attempt at becoming a referee. Note that if you take multiple attempts on the quiz, Zhorken may give you a few more questions, which you will again have three attempts to answer correctly, to test aspects of reffing that you appeared to have trouble with.

These questions can all be answered by reading the various ASB information threads and looking at battles currently in progress. If you're having trouble, try using ctrl + F to search for particular words, or the board's search function to do the same. All of these questions have either been answered before or should be easy to deduce based on common sense or a general knowledge of the ASB system.

Previous quizzes: 1, 2

The current quiz is as follows:

1. A Venipede with 4 exp is commanded to use Venoshock against a badly poisoned Litwick. How much damage does it deal, for how much energy?
  2. A Pokémon under the effects of Focus Energy uses Night Slash. Assuming the move hits, what is its chance of being a critical hit? What if the user had the ability Serene Grace?
  3. An Audino is commanded to use Telekinesis and Swagger against a Sableye. What is the chance that Sableye ends up being confused?
  4. An Adaptability Porygon-Z with +5 Attack and 7 EXP hurts itself in confusion. How much damage does it take?
  5. A Blaze Cyndaquil at 26% health is commanded to use Eruption aganist a Pikachu. (Nothing else is in play that would affect damage.) How much damage does it do, for how much energy?
  6. A Wingull holding a Water Gem is commanded to use Hydro Pump against a Graveler. How much damage does it do, for how much energy?
  7. An Iron Fist Pancham with 0 EXP and +2 Attack holding a Big Root is commanded to use Drain Punch on an Unaware Bidoof with −1 Defense. How much damage does it deal? How much health does Pancham recover?
  8. A Noibat at 71% health is commanded to eat its Petaya Berry and use Heat Wave in the same action. What happens?
  9. A Pokémon is trapped by its opponent's Bind. Would it be hindered if it tried to use Secret Power? What about Petal Dance?
  10. A Pokémon is commanded to use Substitute, but its trainer did not specify the size. What would you do in this situation?
  11. A Smoochum is commanded to use Grass Knot against a Steelix while on the roof of a skyscraper. How much damage does it do, for how much energy?
  12. If they are using moves in the same priority bracket, which Pokémon would move first, a Stall Sableye or a Chinchou holding Lagging Tail?
  13. A Squirtle is commanded to use Counter if its opponent uses Tackle, or Withdraw otherwise. Its opponent is commanded to use Leer if Squirtle uses Counter, or Tackle otherwise. What happens?
  14. A Pokemon holding Luminous Moss is struck with a Water move. Does it need to be told to use its item? Does using its item take an action? What if it was holding a Passho Berry?
  15. In a battle where the damage cap is 30%, a Staryu at 75% health uses Recover on the first action and is then hit by two different attacks dealing 20% final damage each. How much energy does Recover cost? How much health does Staryu have at the end of the round?

The Test Battle

After you pass the quiz, Zhorken will PM you to let you know of your success, and she will post your test battle in the Challenge Board. You will serve as the battle's referee, while a current, high-ranking referee will be a participant and give you feedback on your reffing as the battle progresses.

The approved referee overseeing the battle is responsible for determining whether you're ready to be approved as a full referee. This may occur after any number of rounds; if they see that you know what you're doing after two, you'll be approved then; if it takes ten or fifteen for you to get the hang of things, then you'll be approved at that time. You will be expected to finish the test battle even if you are approved long before it ends, but as soon as you are approved you can go out and pick up more battles if you'd like.

The test battle uses the following standard format, although if the battlers decide they'd like to change some of the details (e.g. damage cap, banned moves), it's fine:

2vs2 Single
Style: Switch
DQ: One week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: None
Terrain: ASB Central Stadium

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There is one advantage to the stadium, though--its proximity to the holodrome grants it access to a full range of simulation options, allowing trainers to trick out their team to whatever extent they like before battling.

There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Other: This battle takes place between a referee and one other member. The referee will use their own team of Pokémon, but the other battler may choose either to use their own team OR choose any six nonlegendary Pokémon with any items and abilities to use for this fight. In the former case, their Pokémon gain experience as normal. In the latter case, they may choose to apply the experience earned by their rental Pokémon, minus one point, to their team in any manner that they choose.

The prizes for this battle are $20 to the winner, $10 to the loser, and $15 to the referee. This battle does not fill a battle slot for the mentoring referee.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll go first! I was a ref in the old league and would like my position back, if possible, but just for fun, and as a bit of a refresher, I'll try the quiz anyway.

[quiz spoilers redacted]

Last edited by a moderator:
You're not supposed to post the answers publically! You're supposed to PM them to ... I guess we never decided who was in charge of that, huh. It still says Negrek, but it shouldn't.

EDIT: Alright, it says to PM me for the time being, since I do know the answers.

You got 2, 3, 13, and 14 slightly wrong, though you had the right idea for all of them. You get your job back anyway as soon as I find the old Ref HQ and figure out what your rank was. I can PM you with details of why your answers were wrong, if you like.

EDIT: Wait, you got 8 right after all; the note I had next to that one was just that the A&A Guide has been absorbed by the Database. I should make that more obvious somewhere.

I'd like reinstatement, although I think I still will take that quiz in order to test my knowledge. (Also, I'll be without a computer for about a week, so I can't start reffing right away, if that makes a difference.)

Requesting official reinstatement even though I've already gone and taken a battle anyway!

I'd like to be reinstated, though I'm not going to take any battles anytime soon.

Could I be reinstated? My username's under the old post as "Leafstorm," though, since that's what it was when I applied. Thanks!

reinstate

you know who I am

or you might actually not? you can probably guess if you look at my profile though.

Kusarigamaitachi, not so much reporting for duty as stepping back into power

Coloursfall reporting for duty! I... don't actually remember what rank I was, but I'd like to be reinstated in any case.

i wrote dirty there at first

no colours no

Sylph here. I would like to try and get my job back as a Novice Ref.
Yes I changed my name, I was highmoon before, sorry for the confusion.

For the record, I've got about half a dozen ref quizzes sitting in my inbox, and I'll grade them soon, and then sort out who's going to be in charge of the test battles — I just haven't had time yet, with all the other post-relaunch ASB-related work that's been on my plate.

Just making sure your name being in both Advanced Refs and Head Ref is not a typo?

Back
Top Bottom