• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Referee Headquarters

Yep, it's not a typo. I never made it to elite ref in the last league, so I felt like I should actually earn it, even if I'm the head ref at the same time.

Alright, we've got more prospective refs than we can handle, so we need an advanced or elite ref to oversee Gevaisa's test battle. Any takers?

I'd like to be reinstated; I don't think I can do much immediately but I could probably handle test battles in the future.

Also, blazheirio889's going to be handling ref quizzes now, so send them to her in the future.

reinstatement please? I'll be damned if I can remember what name I was using when I applied/was approved though

edit: SomeGuy, apparently. disgusting

Last edited:
True equality: the head ref doesn't get a pay raise!

Alright, we've got more prospective refs than we can handle, so we need an advanced or elite ref to oversee Gevaisa's test battle. Any takers?

I'd be willing, though I think there are a few people who'd be more qualified.

this maay have gotten slightly outofcontexted by walker's intervening ninjapost, but if there's nobody else (and gevaisa's been waiting a bit), I'll just. mention it again.

I was assuming that the overseeing referee made the post in the challenge thread, since they're one of the battlers, but on reading the front page of this thread that doesn't seem to be the case. Sorry about that. Since Zhorken's specification was that the ref needs to be advanced or elite, and you are, and you've mentioned twice that you're willing to be the experienced referee, I'm going to assume that no further confirmation is needed and make the thread, I guess.

Edit: Post. I mean make the post. In the challenge thread.

Last edited:
PSA: The bonus pay for reffing within a week has been raised to $2 per Pokémon. I forgot to mention it in the opening announcement, and a bunch of refs don't seem to have noticed, so I figured I should bring it up.

Just a note, guys, I'll be rolling out a new ref quiz in about three or four days. So if you were planning on submitting answers, it'd be best to do it soon!

Also, after posting the new quiz, I'll be reducing the number of allowed attempts from four to three, since I'm hoping to roll out fresh quizzes more frequently than before and feedback is provided for wrong answers.

I still haven't gotten my test battle started (I submitted it to Zhorken earlier, when it said to do that and I passed.) Did you forget about me? :(

It's okay, I know you guys are busy.

I still haven't gotten my test battle started (I submitted it to Zhorken earlier, when it said to do that and I passed.) Did you forget about me? :(

It's okay, I know you guys are busy.

I'll have you know, when I was your age, I had to wait three years after being approved to get my name on the ref list. Three years, missy! >:(

I'll have you know, when I was your age, I had to wait three years after being approved to get my name on the ref list. Three years, missy! >:(

But I haven't even been approved for reffing yet! Will I have to wait three years?

I'll be old enough to start making "when I was your age" comments by then! :(

What is to happen if the mentoring referee in a test battle is disqualified by time limit?

Since the mentoring referee needs to look over the reffing as well as post commands, I think DQ timing should be laxer on them. Give them perhaps two or three days more.

Anyway, time for the new ref quiz! I've edited the first post to include the new quiz. Other notable changes include that you only have 3 attempts to complete the quiz instead of 4, and if you take multiple attempts I may send you extra questions to ensure you've improved with any aspects you had trouble with.

Anyway, here are the answers for the first quiz.

1. If a Pokemon uses Zap Cannon on a target with three clones, what is the likelihood of the attack connecting?
12.5%.

2. A Pokemon has already taken 30% damage from its opponent when it uses Flare Blitz, dealing 14% damage to its opponent. The arena has a 35% damage cap. How much damage will the Pokemon have taken by the end of the round?
35%.

3. A Pikachu with 0 EXP uses Thunderbolt on a Wingull holding a Dragon Scale. How much damage will the Wingull take?
21%.

4. When setting up the thread for a battle, what information should be in the first post?
Link to the battle on the database, arena, active squads, send-out and attack order.

5. A Pokemon attempts to use Surf while battling near the peaks of a freezing mountain range. What happens?
Surf fails.

6. A Pokemon finishes its Thrash rampage while under the effects of Safeguard. Will it become confused?
Yes.

7. A Drifloon with Aftermath is knocked out. What happens if it was knocked out by the opponent’s Shadow Punch? By the opponent’s Stone Edge?
Shadow Punch: opponent takes 15% typeless damage. Stone Edge: nothing of particular note.

8. A Pokemon is badly poisoned by Toxic. How much damage per round will it take during the round it was poisoned? During the round after?
1% per round; 2% the next.

9. A Pokemon with a Substitute is subject to Taunt and Hypnosis. Assuming neither attacker has Infiltrator as an ability, and both moves pass their accuracy checks, will the Substituted Pokemon be Taunted, asleep, both, or neither?
Taunted.

10. In a battle in which the loser used three Pokemon and the winner used Pay Day twice, how much money will the winner be awarded?
$26.

11. How much energy does a Chill recover?
10% (or less if it's interrupted).

12. A Pokemon is commanded to use Double Team, but is put under the effects of Telekinesis before it can act on its command. What happens?
Double Team fails, or the Pokemon uses Struggle if target is in range (both accepted).

13. How much energy will be required for a Volbeat to use Signal Beam? What if Signal Beam’s confusion chance was 25%?
3% and 4%, respectively.

14. A Pokemon with +1 attack uses Counter after having taken 20% damage. How much damage will it deal, and how much energy will Counter cost?
40% damage, 20% energy.

15. How much damage will a Pokemon take if it uses a contact move on a Pokemon with Rough Skin holding a Rocky Helmet?
4%.

Hm. While I doubt I'll have the time or inclination to take on a ton of work just yet, I guess I'd like to be reinstated (elite), if you don't mind. There are definitely a few interesting battles on the challenge board that are catching my eye, haha.

For the purposes of ref pay, are all six Pokémon in a rotation battle considered 'on the field?'

I'm presuming the pay increase is to compensate for having to type up more commands per action (e.g. in a double battle), so if no more than one Pokémon is acting for any trainer at any given time I'd guess not.

(This is assuming I'm even right in thinking what a rotation battle even is, GF keeps introducing these cool new battle formats and then never fucking using them ingame)

Back
Top Bottom