• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Mystery Dungeon Time/Darkness/Sky Script

Negrek

busy dizzy lazy
Staff member
Does anyone know where I might be able to find a compilation of the game script for one of the most recent PMD games (Time/Darkness/Sky -- they have basically the same storyline, right?). I'm interested in doing a fanfic in the PMD universe and would like to learn a bit more about that canon, since I've only played through Blue Rescue Team. Bulbapedia has (what I guess is) a decent summary of the later games' plotline, but I would prefer an actual game script if I could get my hands on it.

So far I've had no luck finding a script online; does anybody know where I might be able to find one?

Ah, interesting, I hadn't even thought of Youtube walkthroughs... not as convenient as an actual written transcript, but if I fast-forward through all of the actual dungeon bits it could work. Thanks.

So yesterday I found myself wanting this again, and I ended up getting kind of ticked when this thread came up as the third result on Google. That's probably just the customized search algorithm feeding my narcissism, but since I still couldn't find the freaking script I decided I was just going to dump it myself.

Here it is, for anyone else who might be looking: http://thousandroads.net/stuff/pmd_cleaned_current.txt.gz

You can rest easy now, five-years-ago-me. Your long quest is over.

Last edited:
I have literally
Been doing that
By hand
For the past couple months

I am not sure whether to be infuriated that my hard work has gone to waste or pleased that I don't have to continue

Ah, memories of my childhood in which I copied down the entire script of Blue Rescue Team in pen on a huge pad of paper...

Hello, new user and I came for the same reason I wanted the text dump but it only appears to be symbols for a while and then in-text dialogue like menus and stuff...
Are you sure you dumped the script?

I don't like bumping old threads but I want the script too and it's bugging me.

I found a tool that's dumping the text from the story anyway, scattered in random places. Wouldn't work, every line the partner says is repeated 3 times and the hero 2 times, probs because different scripts.

Hello, new user and I came for the same reason I wanted the text dump but it only appears to be symbols for a while and then in-text dialogue like menus and stuff...
Are you sure you dumped the script?

I don't like bumping old threads but I want the script too and it's bugging me.
Positive. The text dump contains all the text in the game. iirc it starts with font info or some other binary coded info, then menus and such like you say, then the personality quiz, and then I think it starts the actual script. It's probably 800+ lines in. Quickest way to find it is probably to watch the first couple minutes of the game in a Youtube let's play or something, then ctrl + F for the first line of dialogue you see there. Otherwise, just scroll hard.

I did consider cutting it down to just the script stuff, but then I wasn't entirely sure what people would want (e.g. I actually wanted the personality quiz text!), so I just left it raw. If people are really interested in a cleaned-up script it probably wouldn't take long for me to make one, once I get back home.

No, it doesn't, it just shows some in-game junk like items and menu info. I know lines in the script and none of them were there.
Looking in the game's files I found that very thing and it contains none of the script. It's arbitrarily strewn in random locations, not in order from start to finish but with a general structure in file-name.
Did you look? Double check.

My bad, yes, that was the wrong file. I catted together all the script files, stripped some of the binary junk and duplicate lines, and uploaded that instead. It's still out of order, there's some redundancy, and there's no indication of who's saying what lines, but I'll work on cleaning it up a bit more later. For now, at least the text is all there.

Back
Top Bottom