• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[NIGHT 0] Mafia Choice Mafia

Pronoun
any
Night falls upon a peaceful town of Mafia Games. Well, it's probably not so peaceful, now that I think about it. It's a town full of sentient Mafia Games (with two capital letters!!) who are ALL ABOUT KILLING EACH OTHER. I mean, that is the whole point of Mafia, after all. Killing all the bad people before they kill you. Killing is pretty popular among Mafia Games, and I'd go as far to say that it's involved in every game. You really can't say that about most things in Mafia.

All role PMs have been sent. Night 0 will last 48 hours.

After a quiet yet completely hectic night, all the townspeople/town Mafia Games wake up!

Well, all except one. After a very careful count, you all find out that one of your own is missing! And that one is JackPK. After deciding to rifle through his entire house, you... can't really determine what he was up to. Hm. I mean, he had some knives and stuff in his house, but who doesn't have knives? They're pretty important for cooking. You did find a written letter stating that he "isn't part of either The Legitimate Businessmen's Social Club or the Innocent Bystanders", so you all just take that to assume that he isn't mafia or innocent?

Basically, all you know is that JackPK is dead. He was neither mafia nor innocent.

48 hours for discussion. (This day may be extended. I will specify if this will happen by posting in the thread.)

Well, I guess that isn't bad for the town. Being not innocent, he probably didn't factor into our win condition, but also he didn't add to the Mafia's win condition either.

I'm thinking some sort of third-party vig role? The mafia group I play with IRL every week often includes Serial Killer (must kill every night; win condition is to be one of the last players standing) as a pressure role on both the town and the mafia. And in a game this size, it would make sense to have two roles that are obligated to kill, so that it doesn't last forever. I would wager that in addition to the Mafia we also have a town-aligned Vigilante somewhere. Whoever you are, you'll be useful to us.

This theory would imply two things:
1 - The healer got lucky and blocked the Serial Killer (JackPK)'s killing attempt on who was statistically most likely to be a townie
2 - The Innocent Vigilante chose not to kill on the first night, which is reasonable, especially on this forum.

Other than that no third-party roles really come to mind, at least none that would go down in a single blow. Cannibal (like Serial Killer except dies if is unsuccessful at killing) is one we play with sometimes, but that still fits the mold we have here. Jester (wincon: get lynched) is not used much here, as Alien (bulletproof, wins if lynched after being shot once) lends itself better to asynchronous Mafia. There would be little point to an investigative or supportive third-party role, too, and also I'm just uncreative and unused to actually playing non-IRL mafia.

Also, take the flavor text into account. Knives were mentioned and if flavor is at all relevant here I'm willing to assume that they're a Checkhov's Volcano. No other reason to mention them, really. And knives are hardly useful for much other than killing.

As a postscript, I am curious about the usage of the word rifle:
After deciding to rifle through his entire house
It might just be selective attention on my part, but I have to wonder whether or not it was intentional priming.

If JackPK was a Serial Killer, it's also possible that they are the type that kills every other night. If that was the case, he hadn't have gotten a chance to target anyone yet.

Hmm...
Hypothesis.
Jack was a serial killer, someone healed his target, a Vigilante killed him, and the Mafia sjot an alien..?
Hey, it's the best I've got. It explains the knives and the lack of more than one person dying, so...
it's not like it's my first mafia game or anything

What! Why would he be a serial killer who failed to kill? Isn't it way more likely that he's some completely different role that doesn't have a nightkill? That seems like the simpler explanation here.

Hmm...
Hypothesis.
Jack was a serial killer, someone healed his target, a Vigilante killed him, and the Mafia sjot an alien..?
Hey, it's the best I've got. It explains the knives and the lack of more than one person dying, so...
it's not like it's my first mafia game or anything
Vigilante's kill is optional, and generally the vig does not kill on Night 0 because of having no information and being more likely to hit an innocent than a mafia.

What! Why would he be a serial killer who failed to kill? Isn't it way more likely that he's some completely different role that doesn't have a nightkill? That seems like the simpler explanation here.

You're right, that is more likely, but I have no idea what other third-party role he could be. Do you have any ideas?

You're right, that is more likely, but I have no idea what other third-party role he could be. Do you have any ideas?
Could be anything, really! Third-party roles do all sorts of things. I guess if we want to figure it out, we could try looking at his flavor and work something out from there, hehe.

Could be anything, really! Third-party roles do all sorts of things. I guess if we want to figure it out, we could try looking at his flavor and work something out from there, hehe.

That's what I did. Many knives were mentioned. I feel like it's the most likely scenario anyway.

...But at any rate, that's not productive right now, not particularly, except that it means our Inspector is almost certainly still alive. Probably not best to come out right now, though.

So what should we do?

Well, I guess that isn't bad for the town. Being not innocent, he probably didn't factor into our win condition, but also he didn't add to the Mafia's win condition either.

I'm thinking some sort of third-party vig role? The mafia group I play with IRL every week often includes Serial Killer (must kill every night; win condition is to be one of the last players standing) as a pressure role on both the town and the mafia. And in a game this size, it would make sense to have two roles that are obligated to kill, so that it doesn't last forever. I would wager that in addition to the Mafia we also have a town-aligned Vigilante somewhere. Whoever you are, you'll be useful to us.

This theory would imply two things:
1 - The healer got lucky and blocked the Serial Killer (JackPK)'s killing attempt on who was statistically most likely to be a townie
2 - The Innocent Vigilante chose not to kill on the first night, which is reasonable, especially on this forum.

Other than that no third-party roles really come to mind, at least none that would go down in a single blow. Cannibal (like Serial Killer except dies if is unsuccessful at killing) is one we play with sometimes, but that still fits the mold we have here. Jester (wincon: get lynched) is not used much here, as Alien (bulletproof, wins if lynched after being shot once) lends itself better to asynchronous Mafia. There would be little point to an investigative or supportive third-party role, too, and also I'm just uncreative and unused to actually playing non-IRL mafia.

Also, take the flavor text into account. Knives were mentioned and if flavor is at all relevant here I'm willing to assume that they're a Checkhov's Volcano. No other reason to mention them, really. And knives are hardly useful for much other than killing.

As a postscript, I am curious about the usage of the word rifle: It might just be selective attention on my part, but I have to wonder whether or not it was intentional priming.
In the versions I've played SK weren't killable at night, but who knows.

Also, there's arsonist, vampire, and a ton of other common self aligned roles he could have been, or maybe something of the GM's own creation

re: Thread title

iirc a threadmin couldn't do it but a mod could, so who knows. Maybe Butterfree will since she's in the game *wink*

re: Serial Killer
Also I don't think it's safe to immediately jump to conclusions and assume Jack was a SK and that mafia failed or whatever since we're literally just speculating in the dark, and could do more harm than good if we latch onto a bum theory and start killing based off it

Now, I think we're looking at this the wrong way. The flavor text mentions JackPK owning several knifes. The word "knife" actually derives from the Old Norse word "knífr" so I think that's evidence of JackPK having some kind of viking type role.

Now, there's also the mention of cooking, so I think it's obvious JackPK was a Viking Chef, which is typically a self-aligned role. Now the question is why JackPK didn't use his one-shot battlecry ability to redirect all incoming actions? I think this is because he is not a Checkhov's Volcano, but a Straussberg Neutron Star.

If only we could approximate the radius of JackPK, we might be able to glean which players had the ability to break through his Hartley-Cromwell field. But since we don't have that information, we have to use the Börgen approximation, which would point to Negrek being the mafia don. The fact that Negrek isn't in the players list means we likely have a Mafia Disguiser in our midst... very interesting indeed

Back
Top Bottom