• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Uhh.....Help?

Chopsuey

Pronoun
he
I am trying to learn HTML, and I wanted to see what my page looked like, so I saved it as a .htm page, and opened it in my browser. But now I can't edit it anymore! How do I
get it to stop opening in my browser!? PLEASE HELP! I worked on that for hours!!!

*lurker to the rescue*

Right click the file, then go to open with. Select whatever word processing program you wanna open it with... Well, assuming you're using Windows, but I think that should work universally.

Yeah, I'd suggest using notepad if you don't have any of those fancy HTML editors. 'Word processor' as in things like Microsoft Word? I don't see how anyone could stand editing HTML in that. D:

Yup. Plain notepad for me. Also, does anyone here have color codes? I would like to experiment with them. (Yes, I am new to this.)

By colour codes, you mean <font color=#123456>, right?

This is before the font tag! It's still default colour. <font color=#123456>Hey look, I'm whatever colour 123456 happens to be! I think it's a shade of grey. </font> Aww, I'm some text that's after the slash font tag, so I'm just default colour (and it's just slash font and not, say, slash colour, since you can put other font information in that tag). =(

Where it says #123456, use any six numbers you like. The digits represent colours, and they go in the format of RGB (red/green/blue). The first two numbers are for red, the second two are for green, and the last two are for blue.

You can also use letters. #ABCDEF. "FF" in a colour spot represents 255. The maximum number for each colour is 255. So FF0000 (255/255/000/000/000/000) is pure red, 00FF00 is pure green, and 0000FF is pure blue. Also, FFFFFF is white, and 000000 is black. But you don't have to remember any of that if you don't want to, because there are countless easily googleable pages that will tell you the codes for any colour you can think of.

Two things to remember about this code. 1)Spell colour as "color". So far as I can tell, you already do, but it's more important in code. Sometimes it accepts the u, sometimes not. I'm not really sure what makes the difference. 2) Always put a pound sign before the colour. #123456. It's important. This shows the code that you're using a hex, and not a name.

Instead of a hex code, you can also just write out the colour name. <font color=blue>blue texts</font> (notice how you leave out the pound sign # for this). If you just have a simple colour that you want, you can do this instead, although it's probably best to just look it up. Go to Google and search for hex chart. Different sites will give you different sets of colours, so it's best to find one that will let you make up your own. This is pretty good for that if you don't mind the ponies, mostly because you can do multiple colours at once (don't use pound signs on it, though, the silly site doesn't support them).

-------------

Also, I'm not sure if notepad supports this, but you might want to get used to include codes. An include code says "put the stuff file on this page!", and it looks like <?php include ("stuff.php"); ?>

If you have pages A, B, and C, and they all include stuff.php, or footer.php, or whatever you feel like calling it, and then they all have the stuff, and you can change a single file (stuff.php) to change every page. For instance, maybe stuff.php tells the site to have a blue background, and later, you want a green background. You just edit that in stuff.php, and suddenly all the pages on your site that reference stuff.php will turn green, without editing every single one of them.

The important thing to remember here is that if you use includes, all your files should be named whatever.php. It's really easy, just use the .php extension instead of .htm or .html. This will change nothing about your page except for allowing it to use php (and it will still support HTML and CSS).

It might be weird to think about when you don't even have a real web page yet, but if you learn about includes now, it will save you a lot of headaches in the future.

-------------

tl;dr the code you probably want is <font color=#123456>hello I'm pretty text</font>, and you might also want to learn includes because they're the best.

Never use the font tag, CSS was invented for a reason. Google is your friend.

Never use the font tag, CSS was invented for a reason. Google is your friend.

it's usually a bad idea to do this, too:

Code:
<span style='color:blue'>...</span>

it's fine if you never intend to change your style, but it's a headache if you use those frequently and then want to fiddle with style.

Also, if you want to find a color you want on Windows, just go to MS 'Paint', click 'Colors', than 'Edit Colors...' A box will open in the center of your page. When it does, click on 'Define Custom Colors >>' and than with the '+' on the screen and the bar at the right, find the color and shade of it that you want. When finished open the Calculator and switch from 'Standard' to 'Scientific', and make sure it's on the setting 'Dec'. Than input the numbers of Red, Green and Blue, and convert them (seperatly) into 'Hex'. Than take the numbers/letters you got and put them into your HTML or CSS in #RRGGBB format. This is how I get my colors. But remember, if the number is single digit, then make sure you put a '0' in front.

If you don't know what I'm talking about in terms of the Dec and Hex setting, it's on the left side, right below the white number bar in the 'Scientific' mode.

Also, if you want to find a color you want on Windows, just go to MS 'Paint', click 'Colors', than 'Edit Colors...' A box will open in the center of your page. When it does, click on 'Define Custom Colors >>' and than with the '+' on the screen and the bar at the right, find the color and shade of it that you want. When finished open the Calculator and switch from 'Standard' to 'Scientific', and make sure it's on the setting 'Dec'. Than input the numbers of Red, Green and Blue, and convert them (seperatly) into 'Hex'. Than take the numbers/letters you got and put them into your HTML or CSS in #RRGGBB format. This is how I get my colors. But remember, if the number is single digit, then make sure you put a '0' in front.

If you don't know what I'm talking about in terms of the Dec and Hex setting, it's on the left side, right below the white number bar in the 'Scientific' mode.

My alter ego here is correct.

Also, if you have Photoshop, just click on the foreground or background color and look in that text box in the bottom-center.

Back
Top Bottom