• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

opaltiger

actually very huggable
Staff member
Pronoun
he/him
I was skeptical. There was hype. The film that will change cinema forever! Well, goddammit, apparently this is the year I should stop being skeptical about films.

Okay, so maybe I exaggerate. The story is a well done allegory for much of what is wrong with the world at the moment, but maybe that doesn't make it a film that will change cinema forever. But technologically? The scenery is beautiful. I have no clue what was CGI and what was live action (beyond the really really obvious things, I mean). The combination of the two was seamless. A while ago I remember someone saying that soon the Best Animated Picture category will be irrelevant, because the boundary between "animated" and "live action" will slowly disappear. Well, it's certainly started.

Tomorrow I am going to go see it in 3D. Apparently it is the first film to do 3D properly. We shall see.

In short: go see this film. It might be that I avoided most of the hype and had only a very vague idea of what it was about going in, but my expectations were vastly exceeded.

Last edited:
I've wanted to see this ever since I saw the trailer, mostly because I think the scenery and the Na'vi look awesome. Hope I can get to the theater over winter break.

I really want to see this film, it looks fantastic and most of James Cameron's stuff tends not to disappoint so I'm sure will have a good time. Probs will go either this Wednesday or next (am poor atm so have to do Orange Wednesdays :P). Can't wait!

I'm still skeptical about this one, even though many people say that it's awesome. I'll probably wait a while before I consider seeing it, maybe wait for someone I know well to go see it first.

Man, I really want to see this but no one will go with me. Amber wants to see New Moon, Emily wants to see something else, none of the boys are interested... :( Maybe I'll force Jon and Greta to go to the cinema with me when we meet up tomorrow.

3D. Marines. 10 feet tall. Blue skinned Aliens. Riding Dinosaurs. Shooting and blowing stuff up.

I came

I want to see it. Thankfully Shadey is all for it, so once I'm back from Germany we can go. <3

aw nuts, the London Imax is fully booked until January 9th. :(

I'll probably go see it somewhere else but maaaan that sucks.

Saw it with school yesterday. It was really quite awesome! I'd suggest it to anyone. I actually sort of liked how it touched on moral issues of human selfishness and all that. Agreed, the CGI was absolutely fantastic... And the plot was epic too. Only saw it in 2D though.

See, like, I'm all for dragons and sci-fi and pro-environmental messages and blue space furries but... it seems so cliche D: (Of course, this is coming from a girl that lists Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen on her top movies of the year, so...)

I haven't seen it yet though. I know I'll enjoy it, so why am I complaining? xD

So, like. Avatar kind of inspired me to write my sci-fi novel. It's actually kind of Avatarish :( I dislike that fact but oh well, since I haven't actually seen Avatar it's not exactly copying it.

except for the part where my aliens ride dinosaurs. because they did that anyway, way befor Avatar.

See, like, I'm all for dragons and sci-fi and pro-environmental messages and blue space furries but... it seems so cliche D: (Of course, this is coming from a girl that lists Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen on her top movies of the year, so...)

Two things:

The great thing about Avatar is that yeah, the story seems relatively cliched, but it still works somehow. I would argue that a lot of it is subverted, too. Also it's not so much pro-environmental as anti-imperialism.

Transformers 2? ahhhhhhh

What made me really happy, though is that it's (reasonably) consistent scientifically.
You have giant flying creatures, but that's okay, because we've established that gravity is weaker on Pandora. You have six-limbed animals, but that's okay, because they're all six limbed, except for the Na'vi, but even there you're shown an evolutionary intermediate with two forelimbs beginning to fuse. It is quite refreshing. (okay, yes, floating mountains. Shut up, that was way too cool to take out.)

except for the part where my aliens ride dinosaurs.

that's okay, Dinotopia did that decades ago. Actually that whole sequence in the film was very reminiscent of Dinotopia. It made me nostalgic.

that's okay, Dinotopia did that decades ago. Actually that whole sequence in the film was very reminiscent of Dinotopia. It made me nostalgic.

Oh man, I loved Dinotopia.

I plan on seeing this at some point, everyone's saying it's really awesome. I don't tend to go see films that I don't have a lot of prior knowledge on so it's not just a waste of money, but this may be an exception. :D

Two things:

The great thing about Avatar is that yeah, the story seems relatively cliched, but it still works somehow. I would argue that a lot of it is subverted, too. Also it's not so much pro-environmental as anti-imperialism.

Transformers 2? ahhhhhhh

What made me really happy, though is that it's (reasonably) consistent scientifically.

Good to know about the consistency. I hate when there's like ONE species of six-limbed creature and it's kind of like "...D:" etc.

Also hooray my dinosaur riding aliens kind of aren't a rip off.

(I like Dinotopia. :( The books were cool and even if the TV series kind of sucked it was cool too)

I saw it on Friday, in 3D. It was so realistic looking

;.; I want to be put into a giant cat man body by a tree. It sounds ridiculous, but they pulled the whole thing off perfectly when they did that to the main character (I keep on forgetting his name)

Also, the whole war was sweet as well

I don't tend to go see films that I don't have a lot of prior knowledge on so it's not just a waste of money, but this may be an exception. :D

I would recommend seeing it before you get prior knowledge.

It was terrible. The only thing I can give it was that it was pretty. The plot was stupid, the hero was an idiot, the moral was Anvilicious to the extreme, I almost fell asleep in the first half of the movie, it was way too long, and I could see everything coming from a mile away.

It was terrible. The only thing I can give it was that it was pretty. The plot was stupid, the hero was an idiot, the moral was Anvilicious to the extreme, I almost fell asleep in the first half of the movie, it was way too long, and I could see everything coming from a mile away.

Well, people do say that it is one of those movies you either love or hate...

Back
Top Bottom