• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

A thought about B/W

Bulbamew

Bring on Omega Ruby!
First of all, I thought Pokemon Black and White were brilliant. A fresh start, a whole new beginning. I loved most of the new features, especially with the Gym Leaders, such as how the music changes after they release their final pokemon, or when they all gather at the end to help you with the Sages. The story itself was absolutely fantastic in my eyes. The appearence of some of the new Pokemon concerned me at first, but I got used to them straight away and one of the new Pokemon, Serperior the grass starter, is now my strongest Pokemon. Overall, I thought it was a big step up from Diamond and Pearl, which I still enjoyed but were personally the weakest games in the main series, no offence to people who loved those games more than the other ones.

But there is one bad thing, and it is a very big flaw. Once you finish the game, there isn't much to do. No Vs. Seeker, so you can't rebattle normal trainers. Battling Cheren, that Game Freak guy and the E4 over and over again gets tedious. There isn't a Battle Frontier - and personally the Battle Subway just didn't do it for me. Once you find and catch all the legendary Pokemon possible, the game is pretty much over. In Platinum, HG and SS, the Battle Frontier, which I preferred to Emerald's (definetely in the minority here) had so much more to do, with things like the Factory and the Arcade. But the Subway doesn't have that. :sad:

I would love to start over and do the amazing story again because I loved every minute of it, even Bianca's tediously annoying emotional crises and giddiness. But I also don't want to lose my team, because for some reason I got them to the eighties far quicker than in other games even though there are less post-game battles to train with :angry:

Does anyone else share my view or am I in the minority here?

I actually really love Black and White. You forgot one training opportunity, the Nimbasa sports domes that give you about 17 or 18 level 65 trainer battles per day. In addition to that, Black is the only pokemon game so far that I've really felt it possible to complete the national pokedex -- even now, I have 638/646. And you can always shoot for more 100%; train competitive pokemon for the battle subway or random battles online, or you can go for more stars on your trainer card, as I am doing now. What's actually really bugging me is that you have to connect with someone with Black AND someone with White to get everything. It's kind of annoying that way...

In addition to that, Black is the only pokemon game so far that I've really felt it possible to complete the national pokedex -- even now, I have 638/646.

hot damn xp i feel the exact opposite, that black/white is the hardest and fuck if I'm gonna complete it - stickin with my 493/493 Platinum ftw

also, are you counting spin-offs? cause I think Mystery Dungeon 1 can contest that title. I'm tantalizingly close but nonetheless, Kecleon and Chansey will prove a challenge and Exeggcute and Pidgey nearly made me cry. At least you can be guaranteed to eventually catch a rare Pokémon in main-series games, but recruit rates in Mystery Dungeon make nothing certain, and Chansey and Exeggcute have less than 1% appearance rates and you have to get two. ><

I'll be damned if I'm going to try to go through Joy Tower and Purity Forest 9001 times each just to get those. ;) The things are hard enough as it is!

and Kekleon is just jerkish to get.

What's actually really bugging me is that you have to connect with someone with Black AND someone with White to get everything. It's kind of annoying that way...

But that's been the point of the games since R/B, to find someone with the other game and trade.

I agree on the lack of post game. I was really wishing for something to hold my interest after the end of the game. Sure, the Abyssal Ruins are really interesting, but it honestly took an online video for me to finally understand how that place works and once you've gotten everything there's hardly a reason to return. The Nimbasa stadium works kind of like a Vs. Seeker, but not as well. (The cruise ship battle place kind of works, too, but only on evenings.) I haven't really used the Battle Subway, but it doesn't seem quite as appealing as the previous Battle Frontiers.

I think a Wi-Fi system like Dragon Quest IX or Professor Layton where there's a new thing to do every week would be a great way to keep interest. Additionally, more attention to the Dream World would be fantastic! There still hasn't been a Western event for the other starters, like Japan and Korea have gotten (minus the Johto starters.) And there's a fair amount* of Pokemon completely unobtainable or event exclusive without previous generations, like Pikachu, Diglett, Voltorb, Aipom, Gulpin, Gible, Kecleon, Snorunt, and more. So definitely expanding the Dream World and maybe having a few more events might keep things interesting.

Superbird, I don't think you have to connect with both versions to get everything in the Entralink. Yes, the color of the points you receive from completing missions correspond to the version that you played with, however once all six missions are completed you receive the inverse color points. (Or it might be the other way around. I've been able to up my both types of points by playing with a single copy of Black and White.)

*31 non-starter or legendary Pokemon. There's been events for just a few legendaries (and Pikachu.) I'm kind of split if the Celebi and Shiny Legendary Beasts should count, since they were heavily encouraged to be transferred.

Last edited:
Oh, really? Well, that certainly simplifies things.

And while the Battle Subway may not be a tower, it's certainly just as cheap as one.

I'll be damned if I'm going to try to go through Joy Tower and Purity Forest 9001 times each just to get those. ;) The things are hard enough as it is!

Exeggcute and Pidgey are in Howling Forest thankfully. At this point I've recruited everything except stuff exclusive to Joyous Tower, Wish Cave, Celebi and Kecleon. That's damn close for what it's worth (every legendary save Jirachi and Celebi!) but after dying in Wish Cave a few times I just decided I was going to take a break and now I'm working on my SoulSilver Nuzlocke. Not looking forward to finishing Wish Cave, Joyous Tower for Chansey or Purity Forest though ; ;

Usually I try to hurry up and finish the main game so I can get to the "good stuff" ..that is, working on competitive Pokemon xD Playing against other people is basically what I love the most in the games. So..you could try raising some Pokemon for battling online or with friends :D Sometimes time-consuming, but it feels really good when you get in a battle and the work pays off!

I do agree with you that the main story in BW has been the best so far! And I also agree with Spoon that the Dream World should be given more stuff.

Since in R/S and D/P there was just the Battle Tower, I am guessing there will be an upgraded Subway in B/W2. As mentioned above, I thought D/P were bland when compared with Plat, and the same could be true for B/W & B/W2. But since they are called B/W2, it is likely a sequel rather than an extended third version. Either way, I hope that some extra features such as old legendaries and the like are introduced, but I doubt that will happen

Exeggcute and Pidgey are in Howling Forest thankfully. At this point I've recruited everything except stuff exclusive to Joyous Tower, Wish Cave, Celebi and Kecleon. That's damn close for what it's worth (every legendary save Jirachi and Celebi!) but after dying in Wish Cave a few times I just decided I was going to take a break and now I'm working on my SoulSilver Nuzlocke. Not looking forward to finishing Wish Cave, Joyous Tower for Chansey or Purity Forest though ; ;

if you play nethack a while, level 1 dungeons stop being too bad.

if you play nethack a while, level 1 dungeons stop being too bad.

mystery dungeon's my only roguelike

plus now i'm on about floor 50 of wish cave with alakazam and charizard and all my attacks only do 1 damage to the wild shit and i'm out of gravelerocks ><

Back
Top Bottom