• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[B2] EV Training haaaalp

mewtini

sorry guys, don’t lose
Pronoun
she/her
HI

GUESS WHAT

So, I tried restarting Black 2! Because it turned out I sucked at it the first time through. :(

And it dawned on me: why in the heck haven't I tried EV training yet?

And then I grabbed a female Snivy, and I was on my way...

Bottom extremely apparent line: help me EV train. :c

After Bulbapedia-ing and Serebii-ing, I got the fundamentals: 4 EVs = 1 stat point, to optimally max out, you want 252 EVs in a stat, each defeated Pokemon has a certain EV yield. Got that.

Unfortunately, I don't yet have a 'feel' for it, yet, and so would appreciate advice from someone who has actually done it preferably successfully before.

edit: also natures: do they matter?

HI

GUESS WHAT

So, I tried restarting Black 2! Because it turned out I sucked at it the first time through. :(

And it dawned on me: why in the heck haven't I tried EV training yet?

And then I grabbed a female Snivy, and I was on my way...

Bottom extremely apparent line: help me EV train. :c

After Bulbapedia-ing and Serebii-ing, I got the fundamentals: 4 EVs = 1 stat point, to optimally max out, you want 252 EVs in a stat, each defeated Pokemon has a certain EV yield. Got that.

Unfortunately, I don't yet have a 'feel' for it, yet, and so would appreciate advice from someone who has actually done it preferably successfully before.

edit: also natures: do they matter?

My advice: don't bother with effort training for an ingame team. Save it for PWT/Battle Subway/WiFi teams. It is not necessary, and far, far more tedious than it is worth because you don't have the conveniences of: a) Access to the whole region, b) Fly, and c) having defeated all of the trainers that potentially get in the way and ruin everything.

Natures, on the other hand, are much more practical for reaping the benefits from on an ingame team. With your starter, for instance, you can just restart until you get a nature you like (which is tedious... but not even remotely close to how tedious effort training would be for a similar benefit). For Pokémon you catch in the wild, it's simply a matter of catching until you're satisfied with the nature (for Pokémon with low encounter rates, this can also be tedious, especially without daycare access in BW2. Again, it is still not even remotely close to the tedium of ingame effort.)

Most people have their own policy on natures for ingame. A lot of people don't care at all; that's fine. Others will hunt until they get the best nature possible. I tend to accept natures that don't hamper essential stats; I end up taking a lot of neutral-natured Pokémon.

Yeah, I know it isn't necessary, buuuuut still thought it'd be something I'd like to try out, if only for experience and stuff.

Yeah, I know it isn't necessary, buuuuut still thought it'd be something I'd like to try out, if only for experience and stuff.
I still suggest saving it for post-game stuff. It is that tedious for ingame.

Now, theoretically, you could decide you just want some extra points in a particular stat on a Pokémon. In that case, you could do some effort training, but the gains would be limited in comparison to very controlled effort training. (E.g. if you want some extra SpA, go beat up Litwicks. That does mean those SpA points are being taken away from somewhere else, though.)

Here is a good resource for places to train.

Back
Top Bottom