• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

ASB Awards 2011

An upset is a situation where the underdog wins against all odds--everybody's rooting for the other team, but they pull it off anyway. I think in this case it would be best to interpret it as any instance where a player overturns expectations with a surprise win, whether because it's an unknown beating a well-established player or because it was someone who was losing badly but made a surprise turnaround and came back for the win. I think this is a fair way to interpret the category, then:

I thought it was a situation like someone nearly losing a battle and then turning everything around. o_o I guess Effercon's explanation makes more sense with what Wikipedia tells me an upset is, though.

And now I think you're getting at, Legendaryseeker--you mean someone who doesn't win, but makes the best show out of losing?

Oh hey, the ASB awards are back!
I would show intrest in the two categories that were offered to be brought back. Incidentally, I have a question- Are tournament battles/reffings counted in theses categiories? For ex., could a recent tournament battle be nominated for most entertaining battle?

Yes; any battle with at least one reffing in it in the past year is eligible, tournament or otherwise.

@Negrek
Yeah, that's what I mean, including going as far to making it a draw (without self-sacrificing/instant kill moves), although never actually winning.

So, just to clear this up a bit:

Biggest Upset can either be when an underdog with a clear disadvantage fights against a well-established "good" player but manages to win, tie, or almost win anyway, or be when somebody who is expected to lose (basically no HP or Energy left while the opponent has almost half health, or 1 pokemon against 3, or something along the lines of that) manages to comeback in the last few rounds and win.

Does this sound about right?

Biggest Upset can either be when an underdog with a clear disadvantage fights against a well-established "good" player but manages to win, tie, or almost win anyway, or be when somebody who is expected to lose (basically no HP or Energy left while the opponent has almost half health, or 1 pokemon against 3, or something along the lines of that) manages to comeback in the last few rounds and win.

Seems to be the case.

Pretty much, although I would say that winning or tying is a requirement; it's not really much of an upset if you don't actually pull it off.

Added "Best Strategy" and "Most Valiant Loss" categories (couldn't come up with a better name for the latter at 4:30 AM). At the moment I'm not really feeling the "Most Charitable" category; is anybody seeing a real distinction from "Most Helpful"/particularly interested in keeping it on as a distinct category?

Nice name for the thing I suggested.
Way better than anything I could've suggested :C

Last edited:
Added "Best Strategy" and "Most Valiant Loss" categories (couldn't come up with a better name for the latter at 4:30 AM). At the moment I'm not really feeling the "Most Charitable" category; is anybody seeing a real distinction from "Most Helpful"/particularly interested in keeping it on as a distinct category?

I think both categories have, in the end, a similar meaning, so I don't see why we should have both. Just my two cents.

maybe if you counted most helpful as those who give the most advice, and most charitable being the person who is most often a benefactor to people's funds? something like that is the only thing I can think of.

could there be a business-related award (or something)? not necessarily most prolific, maybe most creative or ... I dunno.

but I guess people who have businesses don't need more money. :B

Back
Top Bottom