• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Capitalist Democracy Mafia [Game Thread]

yeah so that was hilarious but for the sake of my sanity in counting the votes next time i'm gonna have to kindly ask you guys not to do that again. all votes pledging more than the voter has will only count for the total amount of money the voter has.

The town hall explodes with vocal activity, with accusations flying back and forth. "I like people who didn't get captured!" VM shouts loudly, knocking his hairpiece askew, and he proceeds to parade around the room making it rain with what turns out to be a ridiculous amount of Monopoly money.

In the end, the armed guards just barely manage to calm everyone down enough to get them into the voting booths. Capitalism doesn't stop for Trump, after all.

The numbers on the marquee fly wildly back and forth — at one point going too high to fit on the board — before finally settling at much more reasonable figures.

LILYCOLO — $39
WARGLE — $41

The townspeople are almost used to it this time when the shot rings out and Wargle's body crumples to the ground. When the authorities search her body, they find bags of every kind of illegal drug you could ask for, hanging from pins on the inside of her trenchcoat as if it was her equivalent of a shop window on a street corner. That's what happens when you do drugs, a mother says, the War on Drugs justified in her mind for another fragile moment.

Wargle, the Crime Ring Drug Distributor, is dead.
She was scum.

Unfortunately for the citizens of Capitalismville, they just can't seem to get a day of success without it being bittersweet, tainted by the death of somebody who in turn was tainted by poison. When I liek Squirtles' body is examined, officials find that his body was filled with some of every single kind of drug that had been found in Wargle's stash.

I liek Squirtles, the Venture Capitalist, is dead.
He was innocent.

48 hours for night actions.

Everybody's been online since the last post and all night actions have been sent in, so since this game is so close to the end, I'm gonna go ahead and end the night early.

It's a quiet night in the city of Capitalismville, but after yesterday's outburst, the citizens are sure that even though there were no deaths, tomorrow will be exciting.

No one has died.
48 hours for day phase discussion.

almost positive at this point it is vm, but just in case, better not blow everything.

$10 on VM

After yesterday's outburst, Trump is number one in the polls. The citizens love him! He's in the lead out of the candidates for president! Wait, what? I'm being told the polls are not for president, but for execution. That makes more sense.

VM — $25

When VM is shot and his body falls to the ground, the FBI agents rummaging through his pockets find a business card reading Definitely Legitimate Businessman. VM's smartphone suddenly tweets a fanfare and a message pops up on screen: YOU FOUND ALL THE SCUM!

The citizens of Capitalismville rejoice. But who sent the message? That's a question for another mafia game. Or not.

VM, the Crime Ring Kingpin, is dead.
He was scum.

Innocents win!

---

DarkAura — Presidential Nominee
Flora — Yellow Journalist
Superbird — Hard-Boiled Detective
Zero Moment — Health Insurance Salesman
Dar — Coupon Clipper
VM — Crime Ring Kingpin (scum)
Zexion — Cookie Entrepreneur
Altissimo — Sports Announcer
Butterfree — Crime Ring Assassin (scum)
Lilycolo — Policeman
ILS — Venture Capitalist
Wargle — Crime Ring Drug Distributor (scum)

[hide=Crime Ring Kingpin (VM)]Crime Ring Kingpin
You are scum!
You have a nightly income of 0 dollars.

Your fellow scum are Butterfree and Wargle. The scum faction’s Quicktopic is here.

The scum faction can use one killing action and one non-killing action per night.

Your action is a non-killing action. You may choose two targets. You steal the first target’s income for this night and, if that target has a night action, you redirect it onto your second target.
Crime Ring Assassin
You are scum!

Your fellow scum are VM and Wargle. The scum faction’s Quicktopic is here.

The scum faction can use one killing action and one non-killing action per night.

Your action is a killing action. You may target a player to kill them and steal all the remaining money they have (before this night’s income is dispensed).
Crime Ring Drug Distributor
You are scum!

Your fellow scum are VM and Butterfree. The scum faction’s Quicktopic is here.

Your action is a killing action. You may target a player to steal their income for this night and poison them. A poisoned player will die at the end of the following day phase.
Cookie Entrepreneur
You are innocent!
Your nightly income changes (see below).

You get increasingly better at baking cookies night after night. As a result, your income starts at 2 dollars on night zero and doubles every subsequent night.
Presidential Nominee
You are innocent!

Each night, you may select a target to add onto your fundraising phone list.

Every night, as a passive action that happens automatically, you wheedle all of the people on your phone list and convince them to give you (1/X) of their nightly income, rounded up, where X is 1+the number of people on your phone list. You have no additional nightly income on top of this fundraising.
Coupon Clipper
You are innocent!
You have a nightly income of 10 dollars.

You are fantastic at finding and taking advantage of deals. As such, any night actions that would reduce your income or charge you a fee are half as effective as they would be against anybody else, and any night actions that would increase your income are twice as effective.
Hard-Boiled Detective
You are innocent!

You’re a private eye, so you’re pretty good at sniffing out those dirty deals that are going on under everybody’s noses. Each night, you may choose two targets. Your first target, who represents your client, will pay you 1/5 of their nightly income, rounded up, in exchange for an inspection result on your second target. (You don’t receive the inspection result.)
Health Insurance Salesman
You are innocent!
You have a nightly income of 5 dollars.

Each night, you may pick a target as the recipient of your Special One-Night-Only Health Insurance Policy. If they would die on this night, the policy gets them speedy medical attention, saving them from death, but you must pay 20 dollars for their medical care. If they don’t need to be saved, they pay you 5 dollars as a premium. On subsequent nights, previous targets are no longer covered by the One-Night-Only insurance (unless you are targeting them again).
Policeman
You are innocent!

Each night, you may pick a suspicious target and jailkeep them, preventing them from using their night action but also preventing any night actions from targeting them. You also charge one night’s worth of income from them as bail when they go free at the end of the night.
Yellow Journalist
You are innocent!

You embellish your articles and make them mightily persuasive to your fellow townspeople. As a result, your vote during the day will count for twice as much money as you actually spend on it.
Sports Announcer
You are innocent!

You’re super enthused about sports — so much so, in fact, that you’ll force your fellow townspeople into a sport they’re amateurs about. At any point during any day, you may PM me, tell me you’d like to activate The Thing, and choose two targets. (You are allowed to choose yourself as one of these targets, if you desire.)

When The Thing is activated, for the rest of the day phase, your two targets cannot vote (they are not penalized for not voting, as they would normally). Everybody else cannot say anything except who they’re voting for and how much money.

You cannot activate The Thing if there are four or fewer players left, including yourself.
Venture Capitalist
You are innocent!
You have a nightly income of 15 dollars.

You’re a very busy person who shuffles money around between projects to try to find the next Big Invention — in fact, you’re so busy that you don’t really pay much attention to what the projects you sponsor are actually supposed to do. Each night, you may pick one of the projects you’re sponsoring and pay to fast-track it to the human testing phase, giving it to one of your fellow townsfolk for testing. You can’t fast-track the same project multiple times.

Your projects are:
  • that thing with the pokey bit — 14 dollars
  • those spinning glasses — 12 dollars
  • the loud rubber whats-it-called — 10 dollars
  • some electrical gizmo — 8 dollars
  • the jar with the goop — 6 dollars

Thing with the pokey bit — Needle with emergency medicine (target can hold onto this invention to heal themself once)
Spinning glasses — X-ray specs (target can scan for scum, but just once)
Loud rubber whats-it-called — Whoopee cushion (target can prank another target with it, roleblocking them, but just once)
Electrical gizmo — Hand buzzer (target can kill another target, but just once)
Jar with the goop — Glue (target’s money can’t be stolen)
[/hide]

Please forgive my probably atrocious money notation system.

VM steals from Zexion, redirects him onto Altissimo
Wargle poisons Altissimo
(Butterfree attempts to kill Flora)

DarkAura adds Butterfree to phone list
Superbird inspects Lilycolo, tells Altissimo
Zero Moment declines to use xir night action
Lilycolo jailkeeps Superbird
ILS declines to use his night action

results:
Altissimo is poisoned
Butterfree is added to DarkAura’s phone list
Superbird is jailkept and unable to inspect

Money:

VM — Crime Ring Kingpin $0 (+$0)
Butterfree — Crime Ring Assassin $0 (+$0)
Wargle — Crime Ring Drug Distributor $0 (+$0)
(Scum faction steals $12 to share amongst themselves; they decide to split it evenly)

DarkAura — Presidential Nominee $0 (phone list total income: $0/1+1 person)
Flora — Yellow Journalist $10 (+$10)
Superbird — Hard-Boiled Detective $0 (+$10 charged)
Zero Moment — Health Insurance Salesman $5 (+$5)
Dar — Coupon Clipper $10 (+$10)
Zexion — Cookie Entrepreneur $0 (+$2 stolen)
Altissimo — Sports Announcer $0 (+$10 stolen)
Lilycolo — Policeman $15 (+$5 +$10 charged)
ILS — Venture Capitalist $15 (+$15)
Vote totals:

Abstain: $5

Self-votes as the default for people with money who didn’t vote:
Flora — Yellow Journalist $10
Dar — Coupon Clipper $10

Due to the passive effects of the Yellow Journalist role, Flora’s vote counts for double ($20), and thus, she dies.

Money after votes:

VM — Crime Ring Kingpin $3
Butterfree — Crime Ring Assassin $4
Wargle — Crime Ring Drug Distributor $3

DarkAura — Presidential Nominee $0
Flora — Yellow Journalist $0
Superbird — Hard-Boiled Detective $0
Zero Moment — Health Insurance Salesman $4
Dar — Coupon Clipper $0
Zexion — Cookie Entrepreneur $0
Altissimo — Sports Announcer $0
Lilycolo — Policeman $14
ILS — Venture Capitalist $14
VM steals/redirects X
Butterfree assassinates Superbird
(Wargle poisons X)

DarkAura adds Lilycolo to phone list
Superbird inspects Zero Moment, tells ILS
Zero Moment sells insurance to X
Lilycolo jailkeeps Zexion
ILS pays to give the jar with the goop to DarkAura

results:
VM and Zero Moment get inactivity warnings
Superbird is killed
DarkAura adds Lilycolo to phone list; DarkAura receives jar with the goop
ILS gets Zero Moment’s inspection result (innocent)
Zexion is jailkept

Money:

VM — Crime Ring Kingpin $3 (+0)
Butterfree — Crime Ring Assassin $4 (+0)
Wargle — Crime Ring Drug Distributor $3 (+0)
(Scum faction steals $0 to share amongst themselves)

DarkAura — Presidential Nominee $2
(calculation: 2 people on list, their total income $5/3 rounded up = $2)
Superbird — Hard-Boiled Detective $13 (+10 +3)
Zero Moment — Health Insurance Salesman $9 (+5)
Dar — Coupon Clipper $10 (+10)
Zexion — Cookie Entrepreneur $0 (+4 taken as bail)
Lilycolo — Policeman $23 (+5 +4 -2)
ILS — Venture Capitalist $20 (+15 -6 -3)
Vote totals:

Abstain $12

Dar — Coupon Clipper $10 × 2 days of inactivity in a row = $20

Money after votes:

VM — Crime Ring Kingpin $2
Butterfree — Crime Ring Assassin $3
Wargle — Crime Ring Drug Distributor $2

DarkAura — Presidential Nominee $1
Zero Moment — Health Insurance Salesman $8
Lilycolo — Policeman $22
ILS — Venture Capitalist $14
VM steals from ILS and redirects him onto Zexion
Wargle poisons DarkAura
(Butterfree assassinates X)

DarkAura adds ILS to phone list
Zero Moment refrains from using his action
Lilycolo jailkeeps Zero Moment
ILS refrains from using his action

results:
DarkAura poisoned (but not stolen from, as she has the jar with the goop)
ILS added to phone list
Zero Moment jailkept

Money:

VM — Crime Ring Kingpin $7
Butterfree — Crime Ring Assassin $8
Wargle — Crime Ring Drug Distributor $7
(Scum faction steals $15 to share amongst themselves; they don’t decide, so by default I’m divvying it up evenly, $5 a person)

DarkAura — Presidential Nominee $7
(calculation: 3 people on list, Lilycolo $5/4 rounded up = $2; ILS $15/4 rounded up = $4)
Zero Moment — Health Insurance Salesman $8 (+5 taken as bail)
Zexion — Cookie Entrepreneur $8 (+8)
Lilycolo — Policeman $30 (+5 +5 -2)
ILS — Venture Capitalist $10 (+15 stolen -4)
Vote totals:

Abstain $1
Butterfree $11

Zexion — Cookie Entrepreneur $8
Lilycolo — Policeman $5

Money after votes:

Wargle — Crime Ring Drug Distributor $6

Zero Moment — Health Insurance Salesman $7
Lilycolo — Policeman $25
ILS — Venture Capitalist $0
VM steals from Zexion and redirects him onto Zero Moment
Wargle poisons ILS

Zero Moment insures ILS
Lilycolo jailkeeps X
ILS refrains from using his action

results:
Lilycolo gets an inactivity warning
ILS is poisoned
ILS is insured (since he doesn’t die during the night, he is not saved and ZM doesn’t have to pay)

Money:

Wargle — Crime Ring Drug Distributor $6
(Scum faction steals $26 to share amongst themselves)

Zero Moment — Health Insurance Salesman $17 (+5 +5)
Zexion — Cookie Entrepreneur $0 (+16 stolen)
Lilycolo — Policeman $30 (+5)
ILS — Venture Capitalist $0 (+15 -5 -10)
Vote totals:
Lilycolo $39
Wargle $41

none! hooray!

Money after votes:

VM — Crime Ring Kingpin $0

Zero Moment — Health Insurance Salesman $6
Lilycolo — Policeman $0
VM steals from Lilycolo and redirects him onto Zexion

Zero Moment insures VM
Lilycolo jailkeeps VM

results:
VM is jailed — can’t steal, can’t be insured

Money:

VM — Crime Ring Kingpin $0

Zero Moment — Health Insurance Salesman $11 (+5)
Zexion — Cookie Entrepreneur $32 (+32)
Lilycolo — Policeman $5 (+5)
Vote totals:

VM $25

Money after votes:

Zero Moment — Health Insurance Salesman $1
Zexion — Cookie Entrepreneur $22
Lilycolo — Policeman $0

---

Bonus: The roles I originally intended to use but cut because we didn't have enough players!

[hide=Crime Ring Thief (scum)]Crime Ring Thief
You are scum!

Your fellow scum are X, Y, and Z. The scum faction’s Quicktopic is here.

Your action is a non-killing action. You may target a player to steal all the remaining money they have (before this night’s income is dispensed), and if they have a night action, you roleblock them.
Corrupt Congressman
You are innocent!

Everybody knows democracy is just a way for politicians to get a little kickback from lobbyists and PACs, don’t they? Because of these kickbacks, your nightly income is equal to one-half, rounded up, of the amount of money that is spent on voting the previous day. (You start with 2 dollars on night zero.)
College Professor
You are innocent!

Each night, you hold a seminar and may invite one target to attend it. The lessons you teach give your target the means to better themself, improving their nightly income by 5 dollars. You may not invite yourself to your seminar, unfortunately.[/hide]

Corrupt Congressman sounded like a really fun role!

Such a pain that I didn't use the thing with the pokey bit. Such an intriguing object. :(

But we won! Good game, everybody! :D

oh god this was so amazing to spectate after i died

also apparently I had, like, the second-highest income of everybody. ok then.

I'd like to go on record by saying that I, as a fellow presidential candidate, in no way agree with Mr. Trump's questionable tactics in any shape or form.

Yeah, this was a lot of fun! I'm glad I didn't die too early, but I'm still kinda miffed I didn't get to live to the end game where the fun really picked up. I'd definitely be up for another game with the same mechanic!

Holy crap this was fun! Especially endgame, that was a rollercoaster. I would LOVE to have another game with the same mechanic.

Back
Top Bottom