The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Non-Pokémon > Silliness

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-18-2015, 01:28 AM
Murkrow's Avatar
Murkrow Murkrow is offline
Says "also" and "or something" a lot
 
Join Date: June 23, 2008
Location: UK
Age: 27
Posts: 3,243
Pronoun: He
Murkrow is on a distinguished road
Default Things that annoy you, that really shouldn't

Everything is annoyed by something and even if there's a really petty reason behind it, it's at least a reason.


What things annoy you that you have no reasonable explanation for?



For me, I don't like the phrase "respectively" as in "Alice and Bob have a cat and a dog, respectively", my brain probably thinks it's condescending, even though in the example I gave, it would be ambiguous without it.

Last edited by Murkrow; 01-20-2015 at 10:36 PM. Reason: I wrote a sentence and ended the sentence as if I'd written the start differently
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-18-2015, 05:14 AM
Emperor_Evulz's Avatar
Emperor_Evulz Emperor_Evulz is offline
Sciiiieeeennnccceee
 
Join Date: October 7, 2011
Location: America, soon Australia.
Age: 24
Posts: 1,464
Pronoun: she
Emperor_Evulz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things that annoy you, that really shouldn't

(SPOILER) all life

I'm currently half-deaf, so I often have to make people repeat themselves. It bugs the crap out of me and them I'm sure.

That's about it really other than loud noises.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Espeon's Avatar
EspeonMOD Espeon is offline
Mmhm...
 
Join Date: June 23, 2008
Location: UK
Age: 27
Posts: 1,428
Pronoun: He
Espeon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things that annoy you, that really shouldn't

I get annoyed by people who breathe too loudly, but apparently this isn't an especially uncommon thing? There's not really a lot which randomly ticks me off that I can think of immediately.
__________________
oßo quack quack
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-18-2015, 05:58 PM
Autumn Autumn is offline
bye
 
Join Date: June 23, 2008
Posts: 4,633
Pronoun: she
Autumn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Things that annoy you, that really shouldn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeon View Post
I get annoyed by people who breathe too loudly, but apparently this isn't an especially uncommon thing? There's not really a lot which randomly ticks me off that I can think of immediately.
I absolutely refuse to share a bed with my sister for this very reason, since her sleep-breathing is horrific.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-18-2015, 07:33 PM
qva's Avatar
qva qva is offline
pretty good
 
Join Date: November 1, 2011
Location: space coast
Age: 19
Posts: 2,815
Pronoun: she
qva is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Things that annoy you, that really shouldn't

Hm, let's think. Sound.

There are very few sounds that don't bother me. The squeaking of a wheel on a cart, the hum of a car's engine, chewing, breathing, talking, water splashing, clicking, the ticking sound it makes when you move to another menu item on a video game, the tapping of fingers on keys, shoes on a tile ground...

Maybe I should be deaf.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-19-2015, 03:58 PM
Kung Fu Ferret's Avatar
Kung Fu Ferret Kung Fu Ferret is offline
Sir Dude-A-Lot
 
Join Date: December 10, 2013
Location: Somewhere playing Zoo Tycoon 2
Posts: 1,325
Pronoun: he
Kung Fu Ferret is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things that annoy you, that really shouldn't

I regret it when my phone isn't constantly on vibrate. Keeps me up at night with Facebook stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-19-2015, 04:52 PM
Scootaloo's Avatar
Scootaloo Scootaloo is offline
spooky? do you think i'm spooky?
 
Join Date: December 24, 2011
Location: South Carolina
Age: 19
Posts: 1,078
Pronoun: She
Scootaloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things that annoy you, that really shouldn't

I deal with misophonia, so pretty much any sound will bother me and give me a headache. I've actually started crying during some classes because I couldn't deal with sniffling.
The extensive list of bothersome sounds
sniffling, loud breathing, nail clipping, certain ways 's' is said (like in "please", "delicious"), baby noises and crying, chewing and eating loudly, silverware being scraped on a plate, the sound of clearing your throat, grunting/groaning, hiccups, breathing with a congested nose, ANY NASAL SOUND, and joint cracking.
__________________
Steam: Zubattalion | PSN: Zubattalion | 3DS FC: 4983-4946-0075


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-19-2015, 05:31 PM
Emperor_Evulz's Avatar
Emperor_Evulz Emperor_Evulz is offline
Sciiiieeeennnccceee
 
Join Date: October 7, 2011
Location: America, soon Australia.
Age: 24
Posts: 1,464
Pronoun: she
Emperor_Evulz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things that annoy you, that really shouldn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootaloo View Post
I deal with misophonia, so pretty much any sound will bother me and give me a headache. I've actually started crying during some classes because I couldn't deal with sniffling.
The extensive list of bothersome sounds
sniffling, loud breathing, nail clipping, certain ways 's' is said (like in "please", "delicious"), baby noises and crying, chewing and eating loudly, silverware being scraped on a plate, the sound of clearing your throat, grunting/groaning, hiccups, breathing with a congested nose, ANY NASAL SOUND, and joint cracking.
Basically all of this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-19-2015, 05:55 PM
Equinoxe's Avatar
Equinoxe Equinoxe is offline
has a BONE to pick with you
 
Join Date: May 30, 2010
Location: ~
Posts: 786
Pronoun: Any
Equinoxe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things that annoy you, that really shouldn't

People tapping/shuffling things rhytmically (their leg, the table, etc). I understand that some people may have legitimate reasons for doing so, like how some autistic people stim from what I've heard BUT that doesn't stop me from getting ridiculously furious whenever I hear/see someone tapping their foot or clicking their pen or something. I rarely say anything because I don't want to start shit but holy dickjesus it gives me a lot of rage to bottle up for later. I'm not sure what exactly makes it so frustrating :Y

Even if it doesn't make much of a sound, the fact that someone is doing it just pisses me off so bad. The worst cases have been in situations where I can't go somewhere else/ask them to stop. I can recall a few times during exams in school: someone nearby taps/shuffles their foot and I just scream internally and make angry sighs because I can't really say anything. I see the movement from the corner of my eye and hear the quiet "shs shhw sws shws hsw hswh swh w" sound that it makes and it makes it really hard to concentrate. Ugh, even thinking about it makes me angry.
__________________

I'd start an engine in the night
if only just to break the silence
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-20-2015, 10:15 PM
shy ♡'s Avatar
shy ♡ shy ♡ is offline
whispers in gay
 
Join Date: July 4, 2010
Posts: 2,548
Pronoun: he/him
shy ♡ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things that annoy you, that really shouldn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinoxe View Post
People tapping/shuffling things rhytmically (their leg, the table, etc). I understand that some people may have legitimate reasons for doing so, like how some autistic people stim from what I've heard BUT that doesn't stop me from getting ridiculously furious whenever I hear/see someone tapping their foot or clicking their pen or something. I rarely say anything because I don't want to start shit but holy dickjesus it gives me a lot of rage to bottle up for later. I'm not sure what exactly makes it so frustrating :Y

Even if it doesn't make much of a sound, the fact that someone is doing it just pisses me off so bad. The worst cases have been in situations where I can't go somewhere else/ask them to stop. I can recall a few times during exams in school: someone nearby taps/shuffles their foot and I just scream internally and make angry sighs because I can't really say anything. I see the movement from the corner of my eye and hear the quiet "shs shhw sws shws hsw hswh swh w" sound that it makes and it makes it really hard to concentrate. Ugh, even thinking about it makes me angry.
Sounds like misophonia lol. That's my issue too. The sight and sound of it. Also a big issue with people playing with balls - i.e. bouncing basketballs or throwing baseballs or kicking soccer balls etc....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-21-2015, 10:58 AM
Ether's Bane Ether's Bane is offline
future Singaporean
 
Join Date: June 24, 2008
Location: Land of Apocalypse & Solitude
Posts: 2,064
Pronoun: he
Ether's Bane is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Ether's Bane
Default Re: Things that annoy you, that really shouldn't

Wow, looks like I'm one of the rare ones for which sound is not an issue.

Anyway:

- Bathroom doors left open
- Sitting next to plants, whether indoors or outdoors
__________________
T-U-M-B-L-R

Last.fm


Quote:
UU: oh bloody hell.
UU: THIS was yoUr "enchantment?"
UU: are yoU serioUs???????????
UU: UUUUUUUUUUUgh. this is yoUr shittiest twist yet!
uu: WELL PLAYED "SIS!"
uu: YOu CHECKMATED MY QuEEN!
uu: AAH! HAA! HAA! HAA! HAA! HAA! HAA! HAA!
uu: THIS IS SO FuCKING FuNNY.
UU: i am jUst astonished.
UU: not at the gUile of yoUr little ploy, bUt by the fact that yoU actUally seem to think this was a clever rUse.
UU: it is jUst so painfUlly daft, i...
UU: i am speechless!
uu: NEVER SAW SOMEONE SPEECHLESS. WHO HAD SO MuCH TO TYPE.
uu: I THOuGHT YOu OF ALL PEOPLE WOuLD APPRECIATE MY MODIFICATIONS.
uu: THE CROWNS ARE REALLY NICE AND WELL CRAFTED.
uu: FORM FITTING. HARDLY ADDING ANY HEIGHT.
uu: LIKE CAPPING.
uu: A TOOTH.
uu: YOu WERE COMPLETELY FOOLED.
uu: AND NOW THE COVETED PRANKSTER'S GAMBIT BETWEEN uS.
uu: BELONGS TO ME.
UU: this is absUrd.
UU: yoU nagged incessantly for me to allow yoU to reverse the starting positions of the king and qUeen!
UU: i only agreed to get yoU to shUt Up aboUt it, and regardless, i knew i coUld beat yoU anyway even with yoUr initial "advantage." and i was right!
UU: how can yoU claim this as a legitimate strategy?
UU: yoU broke the rUles!
uu: HEY! I DIDN'T BREAK ANY RuLES.
uu: I MERELY ASKED IF YOu WOuLD AGREE. TO ME SWAPPING THE START POSITIONS OF THE KING AND QuEEN.
uu: AND YOu DID AGREE.
uu: BuT THEN I DIDN'T ACTuALLY DO IT.
uu: WHEN DID I SAY I WOuLD? NEVER.
uu: I WAS ONLY GAuGING YOuR WILLINGNESS TO MAKE THE EXCEPTION.
uu: I THEN WENT ABOuT DECORATING MY KING AND QuEEN WITH NICE LITTLE HATS.
uu: WHICH IS *ALSO* NOT AGAINST THE RuLES.
uu: YOu DO IT ALL THE FuCKING TIME. GIVE YOuR GAME PIECES HORNS AND SHIT.
uu: YOu EVEN GIVE THEM NAMES AND BLOOD CASTES. YuCK.
uu: SO IF YOu HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY DECORATIONS. I SAY POT. ALLOW ME TO INTRODuCE YOU TO THE FuCKING KETTLE.


Lemmy Kilmister
1945-2015
R.I.P.

\m/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-21-2015, 03:18 PM
Vholvek's Avatar
Vholvek Vholvek is offline
Your tragic fate is looking so clear.
 
Join Date: September 25, 2012
Location: Fort Jackson, South Carolina
Age: 18
Posts: 208
Pronoun: any
Vholvek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things that annoy you, that really shouldn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether's Bane View Post
Wow, looks like I'm one of the rare ones for which sound is not an issue.
I had no idea that this many people were bothered by sound. I am not, either. I am bothered by the excessive use of the words:
-Figuratively
-Essentially
-Literally
-Basically
-Lickety-Split
That's about all. Of course, I have so many other minor things that I hate with burning, fiery passion, but naming them off would suck about 6 hours out of my life of which I could not retrieve.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-21-2015, 04:46 PM
Espeon's Avatar
EspeonMOD Espeon is offline
Mmhm...
 
Join Date: June 23, 2008
Location: UK
Age: 27
Posts: 1,428
Pronoun: He
Espeon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things that annoy you, that really shouldn't

Ooh, I remembered something else! People who /eat too loudly/. It just really grosses me out and makes my stomach flip around in little circles.
__________________
oßo quack quack
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-21-2015, 06:21 PM
qva's Avatar
qva qva is offline
pretty good
 
Join Date: November 1, 2011
Location: space coast
Age: 19
Posts: 2,815
Pronoun: she
qva is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Things that annoy you, that really shouldn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeon View Post
Ooh, I remembered something else! People who /eat too loudly/. It just really grosses me out and makes my stomach flip around in little circles.
Yeah, I hate this too. I think it bothers me the most because it's totally avoidable, people just do it because they're careless and rude. :u
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-22-2015, 03:59 AM
ultraviolet's Avatar
ultravioletMOD ultraviolet is offline
i married MD, u were all too slow
 
Join Date: June 24, 2008
Location: australia (the uncool part)
Age: 27
Posts: 3,785
Pronoun: she
ultraviolet is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Things that annoy you, that really shouldn't

people eating with their mouth open !!! :(
__________________
nidoqueen
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-22-2015, 06:53 PM
Zhorken's Avatar
Zhorken Zhorken is offline
groove out!
 
Join Date: June 23, 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Age: 28
Posts: 1,538
Pronoun: they or she
Zhorken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things that annoy you, that really shouldn't

In Gen VI they raised the character limit for move/ability/item names to sixteen characters, but that's still not enough for French, so you still get shit like "Prélèvem. Destin" (Destiny Bond) and "DélugePlasmique" (Ion Deluge).

A couple nights ago when I was already stressed, I picked up my 3DS and wandered into the Shoal Cave, and when I picked up a Shoal Shell and it said "CoquilleTréfonds", with no space, I wanted to scream. Even in plain old dialogue, with no reason to care about the character limit — when you talk to the dude who makes Shell Bells, he pluralizes it as "CoquillesTréfonds", I guess to be consistent, but just ohhhh my god fuck off.

The worst part is that there's no fucking reason for there to even be a character limit on these things in Gen VI, let alone one that's too short for all the languages.

EDIT: I just realized that "DélugePlasmique" is only fifteen characters and they could totally fit the space in there. Did they leave it out as a stylistic choice or did they just think they'd hit sixteen when they hadn't? Who knows??? If they didn't have to mangle the data we'd know! [gross sobbing]

Last edited by Zhorken; 01-22-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-23-2015, 12:33 AM
Zero Moment's Avatar
Zero Moment Zero Moment is offline
Vinyl Scratch
 
Join Date: December 27, 2010
Location: Land of Shine and Melody
Age: 22
Posts: 5,931
Pronoun: He
Zero Moment is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Zero Moment
Default Re: Things that annoy you, that really shouldn't

When people leave their dirty dishes in the sink and has them soak
so disgusting
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condunum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benuty
Baby jesus would hardly be offended by Lgbt people marrying after all he is .... baby jesus.
No. Baby Jesus will be very sad and he will cry. Do you want to make baby Jesus cry?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-29-2015, 01:58 AM
DarkAura's Avatar
DarkAura DarkAura is offline
loves terra "brain cells? idk her" kingdomhearts
 
Join Date: May 16, 2011
Age: 19
Posts: 4,267
Pronoun: She
DarkAura is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things that annoy you, that really shouldn't

When people just swig their drink. Or worse, ask for a swig of my drink. I don't care if you're my sibling and we have "the same DNA". I don't care if you say you don't get backwash in things. I'm not letting you contaminate my drink.

Last edited by DarkAura; 01-29-2015 at 02:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-01-2015, 02:03 AM
Gevaisa's Avatar
Gevaisa Gevaisa is offline
Show us your qualia
 
Join Date: January 24, 2015
Age: 21
Posts: 37
Pronoun: any
Gevaisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things that annoy you, that really shouldn't

Being touched. Not always, but when I'm not expecting it or it's not someone I know well, it bothers me. Noise also bothers me. This combination makes crowds particularly hellish, what with people bumping into you left and right and layers and layers of constant chatter.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-04-2015, 02:56 AM
Palamon's Avatar
Palamon Palamon is offline
Pop Goes the Gleamsel.
 
Join Date: October 26, 2008
Location: In a snowglobe.
Age: 22
Posts: 85
Pronoun: he
Palamon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things that annoy you, that really shouldn't

It annoys me when people don't push in their chairs. Do you want to nearly kill a person who is clumsy by leaving your chair unpushed? Well, good for you, fiend to the earth. n_n
__________________
Rainbows are cool.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Pokémon, Pikachu and all other Pokémon characters © Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures Inc. The Cave of Dragonflies, content, styles, etc. © Butterfree/Dragonfree/antialiasis.
Forum now hosted by Eevee's HQ.