• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Skylark vs. demonickittens

Phoenixsong

beep beep coming through
Pronoun
she/they/any
Skylark said:
1vs1
Style: Set
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: OHKO's, Direct Recovery Moves, Weather Moves
Arena: Sandy Beach

Sandy Beach is usually a very populated area. However, it is the rainy season, and there is a typhoon. The shore has some trash on it, consisting of random glass bottles and planks of wood. There are many coconut trees lining the beach, and there are no buildings in the near vicinity. If you hadn't noticed, it's basically your average beach.

Note: This is my first battle XD Go easy on me. Well, you don't have to...
Weather moves aren't allowed because the typhoon is too strong. The
winds cause any attempted weather moves to fail. Also, pokemon that
are flying or levitating have a -3 in speed due to the strong winds. Rain
is always pouring. The glass bottles and planks of wood have a 20%
chance of injuring pokemon on the shore.

Skylark's active squad: [Chase] Feebas (M) - [Rush] Ralts (M) <Trace> - [Crystal] Ralts (F) <Trace> - [Fondue] Squirtle (F) - [Static] Mareep (M)

demonickittens's active squad: [Set] Totodile (M) - [Night Angel] Sneasel (F) <Inner Focus> - Magnemite (X) <Magnet Pull> - [Billy] Meowth (M) <Technician>

demonickittens sends out
Skylark sends out and attacks
demonickittens attacks
I ref

Go Fondue! *Throws pokeball in water*

We'll start with Water Spout, but if Night Angel uses an attack that damages your HP before you get to use Water Spout, use Hydro Pump instead. If Night Angel uses Protect, use Aqua Ring. Next, use Toxic. If Night Angel uses Protect, use Aqua Ring. If Night Angel uses Substitute, use Focus Punch. Finally, use Brick Break. If Night Angel is commanded to use Iron Tail, use Protect, and if Night Angel uses Ice Beam, Blizzard, or Dark Pulse, use Mirror Coat

Water Spout/Hydro Pump/Aqua Ring ~ Toxic/Aqua Ring/Focus Punch ~ Brick Break/Protect/Mirror Coat

Ok this is to be expected Night Angel first use substitute(15%). Then If you still have the substitute use Crush claw if your substitute is gone use protect. After that use Iron tail

Substitute~Crush claw/Protect~Iron tail

Last edited:
Skylark vs. demonickittens, Round One

Pre-Round Stats

Skylark (1/1 Pokémon Remaining)

Squirtle
Fondue (F) [Torrent]
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Fondue's Commands: Water Spout/Hydro Pump/Aqua Ring ~ Toxic/Aqua Ring/Focus Punch ~ Brick Break/Protect/Mirror Coat

demonickittens (1/1 Pokémon Remaining)

Sneasel-f
Night Angel (F) [Inner Focus]
Energy: 100%
Night Angel's Commands: Substitute (15%) ~ Crush Claw/Protect ~ Iron Tail

Sandy Beach is usually a very populated area. However, it is the rainy season, and there is a typhoon. The shore has some trash on it, consisting of random glass bottles and planks of wood. There are many coconut trees lining the beach, and there are no buildings in the near vicinity. If you hadn't noticed, it's basically your average beach.

Round One: Begin

Near-gale force winds send rain slashing against Night Angel's face the second she materializes from her poké ball, causing her to stagger backward and fall unceremoniously onto her tail when it knocks her off-balance. The wet sand is soft enough to cushion her fall, but it does little to cushion her bruised ego—the sneasel growls irritably at the squirtle standing several yards away from her, hating the stupid little thing for laughing at her. She'd probably take comfort if she knew that Fondue herself had been knocked down earlier, the tiny water-type no more comfortable or in control in the growing monsoon than her soon-to-be opponent. Whether or not Fondue has any right to laugh, however, the sneasel intends to shut her up something fierce. The wind isn't the only thing that can be nasty around here.

So Night Angel digs her front claws into the sodden sand, scooping out several pawfuls and pulling them toward her as fast as she can. Even as Fondue draws in a deep breath, swelling her internal water sac to its limits, Night Angel puts the finishing touches on the hastily constructed sand sculpture in front of her. Her creation is vaguely sneasel-shaped, if a bit less than substantial in the driving rain, but she deems it enough to get the job done; a few quick paw waves cause the substitute to glow briefly for a moment and its eyes to turn a pale, eerie white, and then she does an about face and disappears entirely.

Fondue freezes in place, startled by her target's sudden vanishing act. Where-- what-- what is that-- how on earth-- The whole thing makes very little sense to the poor squirtle, but in the end she has no time to worry about it. Her lungs and her water sac are starting to burn from the strain of holding her attack in for all this time. She throws her head back and opens her mouth, releasing a high-pressure torrent of water straight up into the air. It comes back down to the beach within seconds, amplified significantly by the rain falling along with it, and crashes into the ground—and into Night Angel's sandy substitute, washing the whole thing away instantly.

Wherever it was Night Angel had disappeared to, when her substitute is destroyed she comes back in a hurry. She rematerializes just as suddenly as she had vanished, dumped unceremoniously back onto the sodden sand from midair. This time she doesn't bother listening to Fondue's laughter, instead digging her claws back into the sand for purchase before closing her eyes and concentrating. A half-dome of translucent, greenish energy flickers into life around the sneasel, completely encasing her and granting her temporary protection from the elements—and from anything that stupid turtle might try to do to her.

The “stupid turtle”, upon seeing the protect, loses interest in trying to do anything to her foe. It'd just be a waste of her time. Instead she opens her mouth again and allows a weak stream of water to trickle out and dribble down the front of her shell. As it flows out it begins to glow, weakly at first but quickly growing in brightness, until the water is a brilliant blue that stands out against the monotonous gray of sand and stormy sky. Then the glowing water seems to take on a life of its, own, spreading out into a thin, misty veil that wraps itself around Fondue; the wind and rain cause it to shudder and shift constantly, but she is largely able to hold it in place around her as long as she keeps just a trickle of water oozing from her mouth to refresh it. The mist feels cool and refreshing against Fondue's skin, and although at this point she feels perfectly fine she's sure she'll be glad of its company down the line.

Night Angel scowls and lets her protect drop, unneeded and useless. She doesn't appreciate having her plans foiled like that, not at all... well, if Fondue's just going to dance around her commands and be annoying, then she's going to do the same thing. Under normal circumstances she could think of much more entertaining things to do than hit a water-type with iron tail, of all things, but if that's what Fondue wants...

Fondue starts suddenly within her misty curtain, surprised by Night Angel's sudden sprint in her direction. The sneasel is currently running against the wind and hopping over scattered piles of debris on the sand, but she's making good time; she'll be on top of Fondue in a matter of seconds. The glint of metallic energy building up in the dark-type's tail is all the convincing the squirtle needs to throw up a protect of her own, surrounding herself and her aqua ring with greenish energy just in time to stop Night Angel's flying iron tail from slamming into the side of her head. The sneasel bounces harmlessly off of the barrier instead, looking decidedly less than annoyed by her attack's failure. Hey, it was either that or take a brick break to the face, and she'd really rather not take a brick break to the face, thanks.

Round One: Close

Post-Round Stats

Squirtle
Fondue (F) [Torrent]
Energy: 78%

Sneasel-f
Health: 85%
Energy: 81%
Status: Irritated, but glad she was able to avoid serious harm

Night Angel's Substitute: Broken

Arena Status: A heavy rain falls over the island, immediately blown sideways by the strong winds. Nothing has changed.

Rain: Indefinite

Ref's Notes
-Aqua ring costs 1% energy per action for upkeep.
-Quick clarification, Skylark. When you say that there's a 20% chance for the debris on the beach to injure the pokémon, are you talking about the wind blowing the debris into the pokémon, the pokémon stepping on the debris as they move around, both, or something else?
-Sorry for the wait; I got a late start on it, and then it should've been up yesterday but my internet was out all day and I couldn't post it.
-demonickittens attacks first next round.

Hold in there Night Angel. First use Ice beam try to freeze the water all over her, if she throws up a protect use double team for four clones. Then if you landed the Ice beam and she is frozen use double team, if not frozen use toxic and if she used protect use ice beam again. Finally use a shadow claw, if another protect use swords dance.

Ice beam/Double team~Double team/Toxic/Ice beam~Shadow claw/Swords dance

Here goes nothing, good luck Night Angel

I intended for the pokemon to step on the debris, but whatever suits your fancy is fine with me. By the way, I think I hadn't thanked you for taking this, so thanks! A question of my own - do I have to command Fondue to use Aqua Ring again after every turn or is the number of actions based on a RNG?

Good work Fondue! First, I want you to dive. Dive deep, very deep, to prevent you from getting hit by the ice beam. Let's see... Night Angel's second string of commands seems to be entirely dependent on her "landing" ice beam. I wonder what she'll do if it misses? Hehehe. I'd assume her using ice beam again would have no effect on you since she'd just be creating more sea ice. While she's wasting her time making ice sculptures, I want you to prepare focus punch underwater. Don't come up yet. For the third action, Night Angel was commanded to use swords dance if you protected, but you're not going to. She's going to use a shadow claw. I have no idea how she's going to do that considering you're underwater. I'm expecting her to just run towards the shore and start slashing at the water or at the ice. Wait for her to use shadow claw (on the sea ice? O.O) and swim up, hitting her with your focus punch. If something goes horribly wrong with my line of logic, and you get poisoned, use Refresh after getting hit with toxic. Then, staying underwater, so shadow claw will miss, use hydro pump and hit her with all you've got. You should be able to do that since it's a projectile move. If for some reason you are unable to do follow any command, default to surf for all commands following the command you are unable to do and including that command as well. For example, if you can't dive for some reason on the first action, use surf instead on the first action, use surf on the second, and use surf on the third. If you can't prepare focus punch on the second or refresh, use surf on that action and on the third. And so on. If by some miracle, you are frozen, I assume the ice should thaw out pretty quickly since a)you're in water, and ice melts quickly in water and b)the numerous raindrops falling on the ice should make the ice melt faster. You can do it!

Dive/Surf~Prepare Focus Punch/Refresh/Surf~Focus Punch/Hydro Pump/Surf

Last edited:
Skylark vs. demonickittens, Round Two

Pre-Round Stats

Squirtle
Fondue (F) [Torrent]
Energy: 78%
Fondue's Commands: Dive/Surf ~ Prepare Focus Punch/Refresh/Surf ~ Focus Punch/Hydro Pump/Surf

Sneasel-f
Health: 85%
Energy: 81%
Status: Irritated, but glad she was able to avoid serious harm
Night Angel's Commands: Ice Beam/Double Team ~ Double Team/Toxic/Ice Beam ~ Shadow Claw/Swords Dance

Round Two: Begin

Ignoring the chilly rain that hits her tongue when she opens her mouth, Night Angel takes aim at the scowling squirtle across the beach. A dot of pale, bluish light forms in the back of her throat, apparently unperturbed by the rainwater hitting it; a few seconds of charging sees the dot stretch out into a narrow, concentrated beam of icy energy, which crosses the gap between sneasel and squirtle in a matter of moments. The ice beam hits Fondue before she can maneuver herself out of its path, and it quickly turns the water encircling her body into a thin sheet of ice that pins her arms to her sides.

Fondue staggers, thrown off-balance by the wind without her arms free to steady her, and only just manages to right herself before tripping headlong over a splintery piece of driftwood. Her luck is not so good when she tries to struggle her way toward the water--a crumpled trash bag, half-full with heaven-only-knows-what, catches her leg and sends her tumbling forward right as she reaches the tideline. The squirtle rolls clumsily into the water; her foot stings slightly, and she's certain she could have made a more graceful entry, but she holds back on trying to keep up the frozen aqua ring for now and instead allows herself to drift backward and sink about ten feet down.

Thus Night Angel finds herself alone on the beach, robbed of her target and still being punished by the driving rain. She doesn't know when she can expect to see Fondue show herself again--all she knows is that it had better be soon, or she's going to be very, very upset--but she figures that there's little harm in preparing herself for whatever happens when the water-type resurfaces. She takes a deep breath, tucks her head into her shoulders to brace herself against the wind and then sets off at high speed, wet sand flying from her paws as she sprints up and down the beach. It takes more and more effort to avoid the trash scattered about as she builds up speed, and it is effort that, much to her dismay, she soon realizes is entirely wasted. The sneasel grinds to a halt with another spray of sand, expecting four identical, illusory sneasel to follow suit behind her; when she glances over her shoulder, however, all she sees is one last clone, flickering dangerously in the rain before vanishing entirely.

Her dignity is, at least, saved somewhat by the fact that Fondue is too far underwater to see this latest faux pas. That, and she's too busy straining against the ice enveloping her arms and shell. The warm water is eating away at her improvised bonds, but not quite fast enough for her to ignore it entirely; she does her best to concentrate on her right fist and direct as much energy as she can toward it anyway, difficult though the task is.

Now well and truly alone without so much as a clone to keep her company in the bad weather, all Night Angel can do is skulk a little closer to the water and wait. A good shadow claw ought to give Fondue what for, but the ice-type doesn't think it wise to try diving in after her. She sits down on the sand, intending to hunker down and minimize her exposure to the rain while she waits...

...only to discover that parking herself so close to the waterline was not an especially bright idea. The last of the ice finally melts away from Fondue's body, freeing her arms up at last. She takes advantage of her regained mobility by pulling her right arm back as she kicks up toward the surface, swimming as fast as she can while still straining to keep the collected energy in her clenched fist. She powers herself straight onto the shoreline and charges at a startled Night Angel, giving even the speedy sneasel no time to react before swinging the fist right into her chin. Night Angel is knocked tail over teakettle by the force of the blow, and she is thoroughly stunned by the time she lands on the packed sand a good seven yards away. Fondue snorts and massages her knuckles, satisfied, before letting the water resume dribbling from her lips again.

Round Two: Close

Post-Round Stats

Squirtle
Fondue (F) [Torrent]
Health: 93%
Energy: 56%
Status: Aqua Ring (+1% health/action); relieved to see that something finally worked

Sneasel-f
Health: 61%
Energy: 72%

Arena Status: A heavy rain falls over the island, immediately blown sideways by the strong winds. Nothing has changed.

Ref's Notes
-Aqua ring lasts indefinitely unless something forces it to stop--generally this would only be you telling Fondue to end it, though it did stop temporarily while it was frozen/Fondue was underwater (so she only ended up gaining 1% health this round).
-I forgot to ask how much damage should be done by the debris; I had it do 3% typeless this time. If it should be something else, let me know and I'll edit it.
-Sneasel is much faster than squirtle, so there isn't much chance that Fondue would be able to act before Night Angel; as such, she was unable to avoid the ice beam. Said ice beam did freeze the aqua ring, but as it was little more than a mist the ice wasn't very thick and so was later melted by the water.
-demonickittens, technically you didn't specify how many clones Night Angel was to create if she used double team on the second action; I assumed it would be four, but if that's incorrect, tell me.
-On that note, double team clones do not hold up very well during rain. At best, a light rain will pass through them and reveal the fakes; at worst, a heavy rain like this one will destroy them. As such, her clones disappeared as soon as they were created.
-Night Angel was unable to reach Fondue on the last action and so did not use shadow claw.
-Struggling with the ice prevented Fondue from focusing all that well; focus punch worked, but its damage was reduced and its energy cost increased.
-Skylark attacks first next round.

3% typeless is good. A question, would mirror coat work on Night Angel or would it do zero damage? Also, if Fondue were to use gyro ball, what would the damage be (with super effective bonus)?

Fondue, I want you to keep something in mind. The water is your best friend right now. If you can manage, do not get out of the water at any cost unless I specifically mention. First, use toxic. If you expect toxic won't work, dive deep down. If Night Angel uses a status move on you (ex. toxic, taunt) use protect instead. If you were able to poison Night Angel or if you used protect, dive down. If toxic failed, use toxic again, but if Night Angel uses protect, substitute, taunt or something that would make you unable to poison her, revert to dive. If you dived on the first turn, chill. If you tried to use toxic in the previous action and failed, use toxic again. If you dived or chilled previously, chill again. If something prevents you from chilling, (I have noooo idea...) Muddy Water!!! Feel free to use sand if there's not enough mud. Night Angel won't like the ground particles in the mud/sand either way :D

Toxic/Dive/Protect~Toxic/Dive/Chill~Toxic/Chill/Muddy Water

Ok that didn't work well. But this will work, hopefully. First Night Angel use a substitute (15%) to stop the toxic forcing Fondue to use dive. then use surf to wash her up on dry land. Then use focus punch to put the turtle in her place.

please RNG god let this work.

Substitute~Surf~Focus punch

Skylark vs. demonickittens, Round Three

Pre-Round Stats

Squirtle
Fondue (F) [Torrent]
Health: 93%
Energy: 56%
Status: Aqua Ring (+1% health/action); relieved to see that something finally worked
Fondue's Commands: Toxic/Dive/Protect ~ Toxic/Dive/Chill ~ Toxic/Chill/Muddy Water

Sneasel-f
Energy: 72%
Night Angel's Commands: Substitute ~ Surf ~ Focus Punch

Round Three: Begin

Sand begins to fly anew as Night Angel sets to work again, hastily constructing a second substitute so as to avoid any further unnecessary punching. As before, she disappears as soon as her work is done, and Fondue has only the sandy construct to keep her company. The squirtle is no fool--she's well aware that attempting to poison a pile of sand, of all things, is a dumb idea. She shrugs, decides to ignore it for the time being and heads back into the water.

It feels good to be out of the worst of the rain, even if only for a moment, and Fondue prepares herself for a few moments of relaxation. Ten feet under as she is, though, she can't see Night Angel making a temporary return to the windswept shore. The sneasel sighs, takes a deep breath and throws herself into another sprint. Night Angel hits the water with a splash, startling Fondue out of the reverie she'd just entered; before the squirtle beneath her has a chance to recover, the water starts to become wild and shoppy. Still near to the shallows as she is, Fondue finds herself unable to escape the relentless tug and pull of the suddenly restless tide. A massive wave, Night Angel stretched out laterally near its crest, rears back and then crashes against the shoreline. Fondue shouts as the water tosses her into the sand and batters her shell; the surf itself, even with the rain swelling it, is not especially painful, but being thrown clear out of the water by a freak wave is understandably startling even for her. She lies flat out on the sand and coughs, attempting to collect herself as best she can.

Night Angel already appears to be gone by the time Fondue recovers, and it is just the sodden, disintegrating substitute--oh-so-conveniently situated above where the wave broke and crashed--that stares dully down at her. Fondue gives her head a shake in an attempt to clear it, but she still feels slightly dazed and unsure of what to do. Her trainer wants her to remain in the water, but she was never told to dive at this juncture; even if that had been part of her instructions, she suddenly feels a lot less safe underwater after the surf attack. She eventually settles on a compromise; she toddles out to the tideline and sits down where the water reaches about halfway up her body, close enough to both shore and sea to make a break for one or the other should she feel threatened. The misty aqua ring, still dribbling from a corner of her mouth, refreshes her ever-so-slightly as she tries once more to relax.

The waterlogged sneasel has no intention of letting her rest, however. As soon as she landed (somewhat clumsily) on shore, she retreated to her substitute, gave her fur a shake to rid it of that awful saltwater and then began to concentrate. The sting of leftover grains of salt, the bruises from her earlier beating, the howling wind and rain outside, all of these thoughts and more are pushed to the back of Night Angel's mind to make room for intense focus on her right paw. A full minute of hardcore focusing passes before the energy gathering in her paw feels as though it is brimming over. Grinning nastily, she dashes out and barrels toward the resting Fondue. Once again Fondue is caught unawares, unable to defend herself adequately from the fist that crashes into her jaw and sends her tumbling backward into deeper water.

Round Three: Close

Post-Round Stats

Squirtle
Fondue (F) [Torrent]
Health: 70%
Energy: 66%
Status: Aqua Ring (+1% health/action); stunned and confused

Sneasel-f
Health: 46%
Energy: 51%

Night Angel's Substitute: 15% health remaining

Ref's Notes
-To answer your first question, Skylark, dark-types are unaffected by mirror coat, just as ghost-types are unaffected by counter. As for your second, gyro ball would probably do ~9% damage.
-Both of Fondue's chills recovered slightly less energy than normal as she was so rattled by the two attacks.
-demonickittens attacks first next round.

Night Angel nice job, you did very good. Remind me to get you an egg, once this is over. Now commands, that turtle is sitting in the water again. She shouldn't be swimming in such bad weather. First use Whirlpool to keep her on her toes. Then use swift to knock her around a little. Then use dark pulse to give her the good old evil omen. If at any point she uses protect to stop the barrage use calm mind. And if you are supposed to use calm mind; yet can't, use ice beam.

Whirlpool~Swift/Calm Mind/ Ice Beam~Dark Pulse/Calm Mind/Ice Beam

Once again I set up a prayer to the RNG god.

Yay for loopholes! Sorry Fondue. That wasn't my best string of commands... Let's put that nasty little weasel in her place. I want you to create a substitute at 10%. Then, focus punch two times. If anything causes you to be unable to do that, default to surf

Substitute at 10%/Surf~Focus Punch/Surf~Focus Punch/Surf

Skylark vs. demonickittens, Round Four

Pre-Round Stats

Squirtle
Fondue (F) [Torrent]
Health: 70%
Energy: 66%
Status: Aqua Ring (+1% health/action); stunned and confused
Fondue's Commands: Substitute/Surf~ Focus Punch/Surf ~ Focus Punch/Surf

Sneasel-f
Health: 46%
Energy: 51%
Night Angel's Commands: Whirlpool ~ Swift/Calm Mind/Ice Beam ~ Dark Pulse/Calm Mind/Ice Beam

Night Angel's Substitute: 15% health remaining

Round Four: Begin

Night Angel doesn't even bother retreating to her hiding place after her successful focus punch, eager to keep Fondue in the water where she's less likely to cause so much damage. Acting quickly while the squirtle is still stunned, she skitters into the shallows, sticks a forepaw into the water and begins to swirl it around clockwise. The disturbance this motion causes is negligible at first, especially given the torrential downpour still battering away at the beach, but it quickly picks up the pace and grows in size. The swelling whirlpool, now capable of sustaining itself without Night Angel's stirring, wends its way into deeper water and drags Fondue along with it.

The sudden tug of the whirlpool snaps Fondue out of her daze, but her restored senses come too late to get her out of the way--the second she has enough sense to try swimming away, the funnel has her fully in its grip and begins tossing her around in dizzying circles. Fondue has to fight against her instinct to struggle and break free, and instead do her best to work on a substitute of her own. Even as she is slung back and forth, her aqua ring practically ripped to shreds and nearly impossible to maintain, she forces a bundle of pure water energy into being in front of her. The substitute is ripped away from her before she has a chance to make it look even remotely squirtle-like, but Fondue pays it no mind. She, like Night Angel back on the shore, seems to wink out of existence, leaving only the misshapen blob of life force behind to suffer the miniature maelstrom.

Night Angel reemerges first, moving reluctantly back into the driving rain and squinting out at the water. Her whirlpool is still going strong, check, and something blue is definitely still trapped in it, check... all according to plan, as far as she can tell. A flick of her paws sends several white-hot balls of energy flying out across the beach, each one stretching and flattening out into the shape of a star even as it homes in on what the sneasel assumes to be her target. The swift strikes the amorphous substitute dead-on, chipping away at it along with the thrashing and splashing of the tumultuous water.

Fondue, concentrating once again on the energy running through her body and forcing it into her hand--thank Arceus for that substitute, she thinks briefly, or else that whirlpool would make the task nearly impossible--appears almost as soon as Night Angel vacates the beach again. The squirtle is mildly disappointed to see Night Angel's sandy substitute waiting for her instead of the real thing, but she doesn't have time to worry about it; the energy built up in her fist is just begging to be released before she loses control of it. She stumbles out of the shallows and drives her fist into the construct, destroying it with one clean blow and reducing it to a formless mound of wet sand. Night Angel finds herself back out in the rain again without warning, just in time to see Fondue vanish again.

Less than thrilled with the realization that Fondue had enough wherewithal to create a substitute of her own, Night Angel resolves to remove the thing and get the stupid turtle back on the beach where she belongs (after all, substitutes are only okay if sneasel use them, not squirtle). Her irritation makes itself manifest in the form of a wave of darkness; the dark pulse spreads rapidly and washes out over the still-swirling waters, striking the badly battered substitute and finally causing it to fall apart.

The demise of the second substitute brings Fondue back to the beach as well, but she is more prepared for it than her foe had been. She practically hits the sand running, kicking up wet clumps and small pieces of driftwood as she dashes forward. Quick as she is, Night Angel is too startled by the squirtle's sudden charge to get out of the way--and gets another clean focus punch to the chin for her trouble. The sneasel crumples to the ground after the strike, now seeing stars and barely able to move.

Round Four: Close

Post-Round Stats

Squirtle
Fondue (F) [Torrent]
Energy: 38%
Status: Aqua Ring (+1% health/action); a little tired, but fairly satisfied

Fondue's Substitute: broken

Sneasel-f
Health: 18%
Energy: 37%

Night Angel's Substitute: broken

Arena Status: A heavy rain falls over the island, immediately blown sideways by the strong winds. The water near the shoreline is churning madly in the throes of a whirlpool, though it appears to be losing most of its steam.

Ref's Notes
-Whirlpool was only able to trap Fondue's substitute, though she did take damage from the initial attack. Whirlpool does 2% damage at the end of each action.
-The whirlpool will die down at the end of the next action.
-Skylark attacks first next round.

Good one! Let's finish this off. I want you to spam focus punch. If you are unable to do that because you can't concentrate, spam surf. If for some reason you can't hit her (not including substitute) or if you are left with less than 10% energy, chill.
Focus Punch/Surf/Chill~Focus Punch/Surf/Chill~Focus Punch/Surf/Chill

Hell, this is a loss but I will try to do as much damage as possible. Night Angel abuse your speed and use focus punch at all times beat it into submission.

Focus Punchx3

Skylark vs. demonickittens, Round Five

Pre-Round Stats

Squirtle
Fondue (F) [Torrent]
Energy: 38%
Status: Aqua Ring (+1% health/action); a little tired, but fairly satisfied
Fondue's Commands: Focus Punch/Surf/Chill ~ Focus Punch/Surf/Chill ~ Focus Punch/Surf/Chill

Sneasel-f
Health: 18%
Energy: 37%
Night Angel's Commands: Focus Punch ~ Focus Punch ~ Focus Punch

Round Five: Begin

It takes a considerable amount of effort for Night Angel to sit upright, battered as she is by Fondue's attacks and the relentless rain, but at length she manages to right herself and try her best to ignore the weather. Now more than ever she needs to be able to shut out the water pounding at her head and concentrate...

Fondue, too, is trying to concentrate now that she's properly back on the beach. It was definitely easier when she had her substitute to protect her, but as a water-type she doesn't mind all that much. Why, if the downpour were only a little bit lighter, the rainfall would be almost soothing. She tries to picture the streams of water running down her head and shell and along her arm, pooling at her clenched fingers along with more collected energy--

Night Angel's flying fist puts a swift end to Fondue's Zen meditation, having focused perhaps a little harder thanks to her desperation and so prepared a lot sooner. Fondue's head snaps back and her body follows it, rolling down across the beach until her slide stops in the shallows.

The sneasel is quick to retreat to higher ground, not wanting to stay anywhere near Fondue--she knows a focus punch in the making quite well by now, and she'd rather not loiter around within slugging distance. Night Angel doesn't even bother sitting down this time, instead opting to refocus herself while standing. Her right arm starts to feel slightly warmer in spite of the cold and wet, raw power working its way to her fingertips from everywhere else in her body until the limb is practically vibrating with barely contained energy.

Unfortunately for Night Angel, her opponent is a quick study. That's twice she's had her favorite focus punch turned against her now, and if Night Angel is going to be that quick on the draw then there's no way Fondue will have time to retaliate. Instead the squirtle stands up, dusts herself off and turns her attention to the still-roiling ocean behind her. Even with Night Angel's whirlpool gone the water is very choppy... and that gives her an idea. Fondue plants her feet in the shallows, closes her eyes, and directs her focus to the water rather than her fist. The waves become more restless still as Fondue moves her arms back and forth in time to their ebb and flow, and right as Night Angel takes her first step forward she finds herself confronted by a towering edifice of water. The monstrous wave crashes over the shore before the dark-type can begin her attack, sweeping her back toward the treeline while Fondue rides safely at its top. The wave recedes and leaves both pokémon washed up on the beach, with Night Angel considerably worse for wear after the water's pounding.

Desperately clinging to what little consciousness she has left, Night Angel digs in and struggles to center herself one last time. Fondue smells blood, however, and refuses to give any quarter with victory so tantalizingly close--with one last tired but decisive flourish she stirs up another wave and breaks it against the shoreline. The second flood of water is too much for Night Angel to bear; the peace and empty-mindedness she had been fighting to attain comes to her at long last as she slips into unconsciousness.

The wave retreats back into the ocean, leaving Night Angel's prone form slumped on the sands at the tideline. Fondue gives an exhausted sigh, sits down, and smiles. Not too shabby for her first battle. She feels pretty good about herself; she has to say, though, as both she and her fallen foe are recalled, that she'll feel a lot better after some rest out of this torrential rain. Skylark and demonickittens exchange a quick handshake and hurriedly go their separate ways--no sense sticking around and getting pneumonia.

Round Five: Close

Post-Round Stats

Squirtle
Fondue (F) [Torrent]
Health: 48%
Energy: 21%
Status: Aqua Ring (+1% health/action); exhausted, but proud of herself

Sneasel-f
Health: 0%
Energy: 30%

Arena Status: A heavy rain falls over the island, immediately blown sideways by the strong winds. The whirlpool has finally died down, and after the last wave the waters have finally returned to relative calm.

Ref's Notes
-Fondue tried focus punch the first time she saw that Night Angel didn't appear to be doing anything, leaving Angel free to focus punch her first; when she noticed Angel preparing focus punch the second and third times, however, she figured she wouldn't be able to concentrate and fell back to surf.
-Night Angel fainted on the third action.
-The battle is over and Skylark is the winner. He gets $8 for winning and Fondue gets 2 exp. demonickittens gets $3 consolation and Night Angel gets 1 exp. I get $5 for reffing. Good game, you two. It was fun, if relatively short.

Thank you very much for the fun to read reffings Kratos.

Demonickittens, thanks for the fun battle. Using whirlpool was smart :D I totally didn't expect that!

Great job Fondue.

Back
Top Bottom