• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokémon Movies

Negrek

busy dizzy lazy
Staff member
Pokémon Movies

The return of Butterfree's movie reviews made me want to go looking for movie discussion, but

In any case, what do you think of the pokémon movies? Do you have any particular favorites or least favorites.

Overall, I'm not a huge fan of the movies, although I don't watch the anime in general, so that's probably not too surprising. I haven't seen the majority of them, and most of the ones I have seen are Butterfree's fault.

I do have a soft spot for Mewtwo Strikes Back, primarily because I love Mewtwo but also because, I'd argue, it does much more interesting things with its legendary star (or just in general) than the majority of the movies, and while its themes of identity and understanding aren't exactly profound or nuanced, at least it has themes. It's not just "legendary pokémon are cranky for reasons and fight for half an hour'/"bad guy steals a legendary and Ash has to rescue it using the power of friendship." (Okay, I guess there's some cranky legendary fighting.) But mostly I just love Mewtwo, okay? (Still haven't seen either "The Birth of Mewtwo" or "Mewtwo Returns"... I should probably try to track those down sometime.)

My least favorite would probably be the Diancie movie. Although Butterfree's probably right that the Manaphy movie is probably worse in terms of sheer tedium (seriously, nothing happens in the majority of the movie, and what does is hilarious wtf), the Diancie movie actively made me angry. It's unfortunate, because I think there was definitely potential in Diancie itself as a character, as well as in some of the villain characters, but there was too much going on, there wasn't time to devote to most of the different ideas (though of course they managed to find space for some godawful filler...), and it never really came together. And for the climactic battle, we get Xerneas and Yveltal shooting a few attacks at each other, and then Yveltal... leaving... because ??? Just generally incoherent.

Re: Pokémon Movies

I was personally a huge fan of Pokémon 3. The relationship between Entei, Unown, Ash's mom, and Molly was really mature for the Pokémon anime in retrospect, and I'm a huge sucker for the Charizard vs. Entei fight.

Re: Pokémon Movies

It's been a REALLY long time since I've seen any of the movies; I'm pretty sure the last one I saw was Kyurem vs the Sword of Justice, which I remember seeing the day it was shown on Cartoon Network. It was also released 5 years ago, which should give you a good idea of how long it's been. From what I remember, though, the movies are way better than the anime in my opinion, mainly because the movies have deeper stories and better battles/action scenes because of the long running time, while the anime, since it's only 1/2 an hour each episode, just becomes more off a "Go to "City with Next Gym" and solve minor problems along the way"... But I digress.

Anyway, the only thing that sticks out from the movies that I've watched is the Oración melody from The Rise of Darkrai, and how beautiful it sounded. And going back and listening to it today, it still holds up; it really is an amazing piece of music that if you haven't heard is worth a listen. But anyway, I think I'm going to go and watch all the Pokemon movies with all the free time I'm gonna have over the summer; I haven't really realized how good they are until I started typing this post.

Back
Top Bottom