• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Attacks and Abilities Guide

Wait, I thought it was a 30% chance...according to Veekun, anyway.
Used to be, doesn't happen any more. So far as I know that glitch only showed up in PBR. In any case, it doesn't happen in (this) ASB.

Would be kind of a fun idea for a sig attribute, though. "Mine is the thunder that will pierce all protects!", or something.

Used to be, doesn't happen any more. So far as I know that glitch only showed up in PBR. In any case, it doesn't happen in (this) ASB.

Would be kind of a fun idea for a sig attribute, though. "Mine is the thunder that will pierce all protects!", or something.

... dammit, don't give me crazy ideas.

So, with Skull Bash, I figure the defense boost would disappear once the user's head isn't tucked in anymore. I also assumed that the user wouldn't keep its head tucked in after the bash part unless it was told to keep its head down, since it would be hard to do much of anything that way. Does this make sense?

EDIT: Also can Snore cause flinching in ASB? It doesn't mention it.

Last edited:
Let's say a Pokemon who is about ten metres from its opponent uses Natural Gift, and the opponent Counters it. Will the resulting Counter be ranged, and will it be able to hit the user of Natural Gift?

Purely a hypothetical situation, of course.

Edit: Another question I thought of, but will almost certainly be answered with a no (can't hurt to ask!): can a Substitute carry its master across a body of water? Relatedly, if the Substitute's creator is fire-typed, will it take damage upon entering water?

Last edited:
So, with Skull Bash, I figure the defense boost would disappear once the user's head isn't tucked in anymore. I also assumed that the user wouldn't keep its head tucked in after the bash part unless it was told to keep its head down, since it would be hard to do much of anything that way. Does this make sense?

EDIT: Also can Snore cause flinching in ASB? It doesn't mention it.
It does. I usually let skull bash users keep their boost after the immediate use of the attack, but you don't have to if you would prefer not to.

It should be able to; fixed that.

Let's say a Pokemon who is about ten metres from its opponent uses Natural Gift, and the opponent Counters it. Will the resulting Counter be ranged, and will it be able to hit the user of Natural Gift?

Purely a hypothetical situation, of course.

Edit: Another question I thought of, but will almost certainly be answered with a no (can't hurt to ask!): can a Substitute carry its master across a body of water? Relatedly, if the Substitute's creator is fire-typed, will it take damage upon entering water?
Counter can indeed rebound physical projectile attacks, but the rebounded attack will lack natural gift's perfect accuracy. If the natural gift was able to reach the user of counter, then the rebounded attack should presumably be able to as well, provided it is properly aimed.

Substitutes are not sentient creatures and cannot be commanded to do anything. A pokémon can manipulate its substitute by force, but the only thing that it will do of its own accord is protect its master against attacks, to the best of its abilities. A substitute, if moved such that it can no longer reach its master, will also attempt to return to its master of its own volition, but that's about it.

The attack guide lists fake out as priority one, but Bulbapedia lists it as priority 3. Was it changed between generations? I couldn't find any info on that. (I mainly want to know if it could out speed a sucker punch.)

EDIT- Oops, apparently it was changed between generations. Not sure how I missed that.

Substitutes are not sentient creatures and cannot be commanded to do anything. A pokémon can manipulate its substitute by force, but the only thing that it will do of its own accord is protect its master against attacks, to the best of its abilities. A substitute, if moved such that it can no longer reach its master, will also attempt to return to its master of its own volition, but that's about it.
Could, by that line of thought, a Substitute be prevented from protecting its master by being actively withheld? At least for long enough to land a single attack?

If a stat-boosting attack or a potentially stat-boosting attack is used for a purpose other than attacking, such as Charge Beam giving power to a machine or something or a defensive Swords Dance such as in teh mock reffing, do the stat changes still happen?

Would a Pokemon with Immunity or Poison Heal still take damage when draining a Liquid Ooze opponent?
Yes. Poison heal only affects the damage dealt by the actual poison status condition.

Could, by that line of thought, a Substitute be prevented from protecting its master by being actively withheld? At least for long enough to land a single attack?
Yes.

If a stat-boosting attack or a potentially stat-boosting attack is used for a purpose other than attacking, such as Charge Beam giving power to a machine or something or a defensive Swords Dance such as in teh mock reffing, do the stat changes still happen?
Yes, although the effects may be attenuated.

How does Body Slam's damage work?
Eh, for now let's say 85 BP if the pokémon are within 50lbs of the same weight. +10BP for each fifty pounds the user is heavier than the opponent, -10BP for every fifty pounds lighter, maximum 200BP.

You can ref with that heuristic now, or you can wait for me to come up with an actual scale for it.

This question might be a tad uncomfortable, but, does Natural Gift's status version bypass substitutes?

If a Pokemon uses Dream Eater on a Magic Guard Pokemon that is asleep and under the effects of Nightmare/Bad Dreams, will the Dream Eating Pokemon gain or lose health?

This question might be a tad uncomfortable, but, does Natural Gift's status version bypass substitutes?
Nope.

If a Pokemon uses Dream Eater on a Magic Guard Pokemon that is asleep and under the effects of Nightmare/Bad Dreams, will the Dream Eating Pokemon gain or lose health?
Lose. The pokémon will still be having bad dreams--it just won't be getting damaged by them. Anything trying to leech off them will still get their toxic effects.

Can Focus Energy stack? As in, can a pokemon use Focus Energy twice in close succession and have their critical hit domain be four levels higher than usual?

Back
Top Bottom