• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Am I the only one who would rather play portable games?

Re: Am I the only one...

You can't compare the two, it's not fair. Apples and oranges, etc.

My computer rocks and there's just no way a handheld can do the things it does. Unfortunately, my computer is very heavy. My iPhone slips right into my pocket, and it runs peggle and nethack. What more does a man on the go need?

You can't compare the two, it's not fair. Apples and oranges, etc.

My computer rocks and there's just no way a handheld can do the things it does. Unfortunately, my computer is very heavy. My iPhone slips right into my pocket, and it runs peggle and nethack. What more does a man on the go need?

A laptop? :P

I'd totally take Melty Blood and Ys: The Oath in Felghana on the go over my DS and PSP in a heartbeat, but knowing me, I'd bring both >.>

Dude, your avatar is awesome because of this. I like can't stop staring at it. Which person is it? I would pick up Punch-Out!!, but it looks a little difficult for my tastes.

Anyways, I think my time is usually decently distributed between my systems, with a little more time going towards my handhelds cause they're portable.

If I'm playing a console game, it's usually Super Smash Bros. Brawl. But that game is guaranteed awesomesauce.

Actually, on more than one occasion I've sat down with my DSi and fiddled with my music, raising/lowering the pitch and changing the speed. It is so fun for some reason.
The guy on my avatar is Aran Ryan, an irish dude who's so retarded it's contagious.

Also, Punch-Out!! can be a little bit difficult, but, it's fun even when you lose. And there aren't that many opponents, anyway.

Well I personally could do with some good RPGs. And Football Manager and visual novels on my laptop.

Peggle is rather fun, though.

Adding some irony though, I do have a few GBA ROMs on my laptop.

Yes, yes, yes. My Wii is largely neglected compared to my DS. I play all my old Gameboy games way more than my flashy Wii games, purely because I can pull the covers over my head, curl up and play. And use it in the car. Portables are the best games systems.

If nintendo was to release a Super Smash Bros. on the DS my Wii will become obsolete.
Assuming it was a good release.

But, transitions from console to portable (as well as the other way around) come with a good risk of failure.

The reason I like DS over Wii and that stuff is it is portable, and over everything, can be played secretly when you're grounded.

Also: My parents believe big consoles are even worse than the smaller ones(like the DS/PSP), and that they cost too much, something I can understand.

Sure, I've gotten obssesed with my friend's SSBB on wii, but I still prefer the good old pokemon playing on DS, without being about to get a heart attack if you pause for half a second or yawn. The reason I like DS better is also it's not as loud, and I've got good ears(too good...).

I've always preferred portables over consoles because they are much cheaper than consoles and they seem to have a longer lasting appeal than console games.
Why pay $400+ for a console when I can get a portable and tons of games for the same price.

Portable are wayyyy better than systems. Example: The PSP. It can do mostly everything, from video, to music, to games, to internet. Two of the best games on it are Little Big Planet and Patapon 2.

the GBA and DS are easily the best systems for portable games ever (can't comment on the PSP as I've never had one), and yet people still go "waaaah! portable bad!" whenever a game they might want to buy is announced as a GBA/DS/PSP game instead of a console game.
Wait, what? What are you comparing them to, then?

I don't play console games much. The Wii has nothing good other than Brawl (and I'd rather play Melee; if you disagree about the Wii lacking good games I'd love to hear what you consider good that's Wii-exclusive) and the PS2s are hooked up in the living room and someone's always watching TV, so I never get around to it. It doesn't help that as a general rule I don't play video games for more than an hour at a time, usually closer to fifteen minutes. Consoles take too long to set up.

I'm disappointed whenever games like KH:358/2D or the five billion mediocre Final Fantasy remakes are announced for the DS because they're going to go for 3d rendering and the DS does not handle that well. It clearly CAN -- see the FFIII DS opening sequence -- but how often is that used, really? KH Days would look so much better if it was cell-shaded instead of pixelated 3D. (Not that it wasn't cell-shaded on the DS anyway, cough.)
I'm also disappointed whenever something like that's announced for PSP but that's more because I don't have one and it's an awful idea for me to get one because PSPs tend to die easily. Siiiigh. But that's much more of "dammit I don't HAVE ONE" than "dammit you're going to make it ugly and more importantly try to use the touch screen."

Relatedly forcing people to use the DS's touch screen is one of the worst gaming ideas Nintendo has ever allowed. I count some of the Wii's motion sensing things there.

I don't play console games much. The Wii has nothing good other than Brawl (and I'd rather play Melee; if you disagree about the Wii lacking good games I'd love to hear what you consider good that's Wii-exclusive)

Well there are plenty of fairly decent to good games on the Wii. It's just that nobody really pays attention to them compared to the games that excessively use motion control (Where the motion control just plain sucks). But there're games like No More Heroes, and MadWorld out for the Wii, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom (Technically not a Wii exclusive, with the arcade release, but the game was made specifically for the Wii in mind), Resident Evil: The Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles are both great games, and while it's not come stateside yet, Sin & Punishment 2 is plain awesome. Both games on the Wii from Marvelous entertainment, Muramasa, and Arc Rise Fantasia are pretty decent too (The latter hasn't come out yet ;~; ). Thing is that for the Wii, in order to find any good games, you have to look past all of the garbage. Sorta like the PS1 and Saturn, way back 12 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom