• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Twilight

If it being compared to Eragon all over the place wasn't enough, this has proven my decision to stay the hell away from Twilight very, very right:

above link said:
No, such a mark of evil would ruin the god-like perfection of Twilight’s vampires. Instead, they glitter in the sun. Glitter.

I read part of the first book. I thought I liked it, and then I found an old topic on here (before the crash) that basically consisted of a bunch of people saying it was too Mary-Sueish (I think that was the term used) and bad, so I realized that it wasn't all that great.

Although I do love the name Forks. :3

Anybody who's read the book and have a very strongly formed opinion (meaning not just "I like it cause... it's likable/the characters are cool/vampires rock/the plot is awesome" or "I hate it cause... it's dull/the characters are Mary Sueish/vampires suck/the plot fails") care to share their views? I want to know if I should try the series again or not...

Well i figure it sounds like it was written by someone who spent their teenage years writing vampire fanfiction so i didnt bother.

Werewolves are cooler than vampires anyways.

Though if you want real vampires there is always the Dresden Files...

Haven't read it, not going to bother after seeing the reviews. But the problem is, people keep recommending it to me left and right, most recently my best friend whom I caught with the book in class (fuck I hate summer school). They say it's up my alley, but I don't buy it.

And the concept of vampires scares the fuck outta me after seeing that documentary in art class before I started a project. No book about them for me thankyewverymuch. ><

Until this thread I have never heard the books called Mary-Sueish.
Yes, I do like the series. I think I finished all three of the books in a week and a half. :/

Hey, I like Harry Potter.

This girl I know keeps begging me to read it. She says it's better than Harry Potter, but I doubt it. Especially after reading the review.

Until this thread I have never heard the books called Mary-Sueish.

- Bella is a new student to a high school, having recently moved from Arizona to Seattle. Despite this, she manages to have really pale skin, fitting in with the 'ivory-skinned-fair-maiden' trope AND the 'transfer student' trope.
- Bella is basically useless, but falls for pretty-boy vampire Edward.
-- Who is initially borderline-abusive to her.
--- And who later becomes a sort of 'vegan vampire' for her.
---- And has the Bishie Sparkle.
- Edward and the rest of the undead Cullens, aside from their need for blood, bear no other resemblance to traditional vampires.
-- It could be a case of Our Vampires Are Different, but more likely a case of Did Not Do the Research.
--- Okay, so traditional traditional vampires were corpses that were exhumed a la the style of Mercy Brown, but in this case I mean traditional as in Bram Stoker.
---- They're immortals, and they're still going to high school?
- The plot is nearly nonexistent, to the point where you can sum it up in less than two sentences. (If you're wordy, that is.)

And that doesn't even cover my personal wtfs with it, like lavender-scented blood. From my experience around deer carcasses, blood does not smell like lavender. Blood smells like salty iron mixed with decaying meat.

Last edited:
I read about halfway through the first book and literally went "... Ew. Why the crap am I reading this?" And then promptly put it down.

... The crazy thing is even my Dad liked it. D: And I'm like "Wtf guys, go read something better."
Why are all the horribly written books becoming horribly popular lately? *coughEragoncough* Are English teachers not doing a proper job anymore or something?

You know what? I think I'll write a vampire novel someday where the vampire is a grotesque, pasty, pathetic loser and a recluse who nobody likes and does have to go out at night to drink human blood but he's so bad at it he nearly starves to death. And the heroine is a crazy girl with horrible fashion sense and takes martial arts classes and blackmails the vampire into being her slave and does not fall in love with him. D: Would that be any better?

Last edited:
I read about halfway through the first book and literally went "... Ew. Why the crap am I reading this?" And then promptly put it down.

... The crazy thing is even my Dad liked it. D: And I'm like "Wtf guys, go read something better."
Why are all the horribly written books becoming horribly popular lately? *coughEragoncough* Are English teachers not doing a proper job anymore or something?

You know what? I think I'll write a vampire novel someday where the vampire is a grotesque, pasty, pathetic loser and a recluse who nobody likes and does have to go out at night to drink human blood but he's so bad at it he nearly starves to death. And the heroine is a crazy girl with horrible fashion sense and takes martial arts classes and blackmails the vampire into being her slave and does not fall in love with him. D: Would that be any better?

You're trying too hard. It doesn't work.

Harry Potter was awesome. D:
Renamed Hank Potter and the Magic Rock in the US for the benefit of Americans too dumb to know what the Philosopher's Stone is (not that anyone else does) this is the book that started the whole mess. So there's this 11-year-old kid named Harry Potter who lives with his Aunt and Uncle cause some guy named Voldemort HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED (who's basically Hitler) raped Harry's parents with a magic spell; so you already know the protagonist is going to be a whiny, emo bitch. Well, the kid finds out he's a wizard, and then some big, hairy guy named Hagrid takes him to a magic school called Hogwarts which is run by a gay old man named Dumbledore. Harry, despite an upbringing in a cupboard that ought to give him the physique and personality of a Fritzl child, is pukily good at everything at school, befriends a poor kid named Ron and an intellectual jailbait named Hermione, and the three go about doing magical things. Later, Voldemort, acting through an Arab, tries to get a rock with magical powers, but is beaten by three 11-year-old children. Unfortunately, Harry lives and the story continues.

And oh my god the ending is the worst thing ever i hope him and all his dumbass children get colon cancer seriously.

The ending was awful, but I do like the series as a whole. Rowling isn't much of a writer, but I'll be damned if she's not a great storyteller.

Er, Vladmir, can you tell me what exactly you disliked about Harry Potter? Because most people that don't like it seem to be in the "oh, it's popular, it must suck" mentality. I'm not saying you are, I'd just like to hear what makes you hate the series so much. :|

(but yes the epilogue sucked)

To me, Rowling has an awful writing style, the characters are all horrible and Harry is a walking cliché. Oh, I'm an orphan the serie's noseless villain fucked my parents over and I can't shut up about it, Oh hey look despite being ABUSED FOR YEARS!!!D: I'm incapable of being mean and am annoyingly good all the time, OH HEY GUESS WHAT I LOOK EXACTLY LIKE MY DAD AND I HAVE MY MOTHER'S EYES THANK GOD THE BOOK REPEATS THIS EVERY THREE PAGES, oh hey look I'm like the chosen one of the wizard world or w/ever who cares I'm basically Jesus in British boy form. Also horcrux lolhax
And then his friends aren't much better either, Ron who's supposed to be comedy relief or something only not and has a slut sister Harry gets to bang in the last book and Hermione who gets all emo becaus she's a bastard child or something idk
The plots are very predictable and the villains suck, seriously. Especially since everything's so black/white in Harry Potter except for like Snape but he dies so lol. I mean what's Voldemort's motivation to be a bitch and never goddamn die? He just sort of is.
And then you have the random characters who are big meanies to our favourite Mary-Sue and his bumbuddies for no reason other to establish that Draco is an asshole and good on him, I'd probably kick Harry's ass if I went to that school too.
I don't know why but every time I read about anything Harry does and his Spider-sense and all his bullshit adventures I'm filled with hate. It's one of those books that make me want to punch every character in the throat.
And then in an unrelated note there's the whole DUMBLEDORE IS GAY LOL that Rowling pulled once the series was over. That pissed me off. And all the people saying 'oh she's so brave/nice/whatever'. Give me a break, she can make up anything she likes about the story now that it's finished. And note how she only says this after the book's been published and bought by the major fans, of course, wouldn't want to ruin the chances of diminishing the cash cow's profits. She hides the fact that he's apparently homosexual for the entire series and makes the big reveal when she's safe with her money and castle and other stuff she doesn't deserve.

All-in-all obvious Mary-Sue, badly written, boring, only decent characters all die in the last and second-to-last books in retarded fashion, ending's shit, Harry doesn't die in the end (only for like 5 minutes in which he goes to chill with Dumbledore), F-- wouldn't read ever.

Last edited:
Twilight is the best book on the planet, or maybe even in the Milky Way. It's a shame that in the third book.... Just kidding. But I didn't like the second book and I'm just in the third book. You'll start to hate Bella in the third book though.:angry:

I agree with Vladimir Putin's LJ. Harry is one undeserving main character. He is a wimp, and deserved to die. But no, he had to come back to life because Dumbeldore loved him or something. And Harry's friends are cooler than him. Heck, Ron's mom is cooler because she actually killed somebody. All in all, Harry sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Vladimir Putin's LJ. Harry is one undeserving main character. He is a wimp, and deserved to die. But no, he had to come back to life because Dumbeldore loved him or something. And Harry's friends are cooler than him. Heck, Ron's mom is cooler because she actually killed somebody. All in all, Harry sucks.

LOL irony please look at Bella.

How nice. I was going to repost this very topic today.

Anyway... I hates Twilight, as some of you might know. Almost everybody at my school likes it, which makes me just want to squeeze their brains out or something. But no, the problem isn't that they like it - it's what they'll do as fans.

I got to finish reading my school's newspaper today, and there was an article about how Twilight fever is still sweeping the schools even after its presence was acknowledged in my middle school just around a year ago. The paper started with a plain old summary of the books - boring - and then went on to explore the fandom.

And apparently, fans go to Forks in hopes of seeing vampires and werewolves. What the hell.

Yesterday I saw a girl in my class wearing an Edward shirt (an Edward shirt), and she was talking about the movie to her friend, so I muttered like I always do at signs of obsessed Twilight fans, "I hate Twilight."

"You hate Twilight?! Really?! Why? I've never heard of someone hating Twilight before."
"Well, it's boring..."
"That's not possible!"
"... the characters have no personality..."
"You obviously haven't read New Moon or Eclipse yet."
*shrug*
"Exactly!"

Class started then, though.

But today at lunch, I went to go sit with the group of girls that I only sit with because they invited me over. I don't like them too much, actually, but I have nothing better to do. So today I asked if they liked Twilight, and all three said yes.

"Well, I don't."
One girl: "Well, then you're an idiot. Talk to the hand."
Another: "Why?"
Me: "It's boring, the plot's bad, the characters are flat..."
The third: *exasperated* "For every good series there always has to be someone that hates it..." (or something to that effect)
Me: "They're bad books."
Third girl: "Well, you don't know what you're talking about."
Me: "Good for me." And then I left and literally headdesked on a picnic table.

I hate America. I also hate being called an idiot. ;~;

Back
Top Bottom