• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

In Progress The Monster of the Cinnabar Mansion

Alexi

The Religion section is now a joke
Prologue​

The storm seemed like it would never lighten up. The power had already been knocked out hours ago, and in the small pokemon centre, the back-up generators only provided power to the medical units. Fourteen-year-old Kate sat with several other people in the lobby by the fireplace, keeping warm under a big throw blanket that had been laying one of the couches.

One of the people with her was her older cousin, Randy. He was sitting by her, holding his hands to the warmth of the dying fire. They had been traveling for almost a month when they had gotten stuck in this snow storm and had were entrapped in this lodge-like pokemon centre. The other people were trainers or hikers who also got caught up in the storm and were lucky to make it before the lodge was snowed in.

Checking her pokegear, Kate saw that it was past midnight. But she wasn’t sleepy. None of them were. The cold of the night wouldn’t allow them to sleep. So they all huddled in the lobby, lit the fire, and were talking quietly amongst each other. Even Nurse Joy had joined them, wrapped in a knitted quilt of her own.

“I’m dying of boredom and the cold,” one boy complained.

“So am I,” another said. “Anyone got some ghost stories?”

Randy looked up, a grin on his face. Oh, he certainly had one, Kate knew. He had told it to her on spooky nights when they were young kids, and it always interested her. Even now, after so many years of hearing the story, Kate was anxious to hear it again.

“Anyone heard of the Legend of the Man-Eating Dratini Man?” Randy asked. Everyone in the lobby save Kate gave him funny looks. True, it wasn’t the best title. In fact, it was a horrible title, the kind of title one would find in joke tabloids on newsstands.

“That some kind of joke?” a girl asked irritably.

“No,” Randy answered, looking directly at her. “It’s a true story.”

“Whatever!” the girl exclaimed. “Like there’s a Dratini Man out there. What, he live in the ocean or some silly nonsense?”

Randy sat forward, facing everyone. “No, he lives in the Cinnabar Mansion.” He got more funny looks for his outrageous claims.

“That place is just some abandoned old building,” a younger boy answered.

“Is it?” Randy asked. “Listen to my story and you may think different.” Despite the seeming lack of disinterest in the group, some people leaned forward, ready to hear what Randy had to say.

“It’s said that a strange creature lives in the Cinnabar Mansion,” Randy began. The room had quieted. Everyone was listening, even the skeptics. “This creature is claimed to be half man and half dratini, a remnant of the morphing experiments that had taken place in the lab on that island.” That part was true, Kate knew. There had been a horrible project in the lab on Cinnabar. Many people were kidnapped and taken to the island to be forced to suffer the cruelty of those mad scientists. Many were morphed with pokemon, and most died. But there was always that rumor circulating that some had survived. “I’ve heard claims that he’s so deformed, mirrors break in his presence. His mind has been so twisted that he now preys on people.”

“Why would he do that?” the young boy asked. “I thought dratini were nice.”

Randy smiled. “They are, far as I know,” he said. “But this man’s mind is so warped. He doesn’t think like a person or a dratini. He just thinks with instinct. And that instinct is to eat.”

“So why doesn’t he eat other pokemon?” the boy asked. He was completely taken in by Randy’s story. Kate had asked these questions to Randy when he first told her the story, many years ago.

“Who knows?” Randy said with a shrug. “Maybe he feels more of a kinship to pokemon. Maybe pokemon won’t go anywhere near him.” Then he grinned darkly. “Or maybe he just desires the taste of human flesh.”

The boy looked so scared. Kate put a hand on Randy’s shoulder and whispered into his ear, “Easy on the details.” Randy looked reluctant – he loved to be the centre of attention - but nodded and continued with his story.

“He lives alone in that abandoned mansion. Some say it was the mansion of the scientist who created him. Others say it’s the only place he can live unbothered by people who would want to kill him.” He glanced at the other people. Some were not convinced, but seemed to be enjoying the story for exactly as it was – a story. Even Kate didn’t really believe in the Man-Eating Dratini Man. Mostly.

“So, let me get this straight,” said the girl from before. “There’s a dratini morph living in the abandoned mansion on Cinnabar who eats people. How does he get his food?” she asked. “Not like they sell it in grocery stores.” Some other people snickered.

“He doesn’t go to a grocery store,” Randy said a bit irritably, possibly irked that she was leaching a little bit of his attention. “He preys on the curious kids who wander into the place.”

“Then how come we never hear of a bunch of kids disappearing on Cinnabar?” the girl asked. “I mean, I’m sure he’d be eating a lot of kids, and a disappearance of that scale would make Kanto-wide news.” Randy didn’t say anything, not anticipating this question. “And if so many kids are disappearing,” the girl went on, “then wouldn’t the police have investigated and found him? A discovery of a disgusting creature like that would certainly be on the news.”

Randy looked visibly deflated. His cool story had just been shot down. But Kate had an idea. “It’s all a conspiracy,” she said, sitting forward. She didn’t feel so cold anymore, so she slipped the blanket off her shoulders. All eyes were on her now, even Randy, who was genuinely surprised. Kate went on. “They all know about him. And they’re covering it up.”

“Why would they do that?” the girl asked.

“A creature like that would probably cause panic in the streets,” Kate explained. “There’d be riots and mobs attacking the mansion, which has been marked as a historical landmark along with the old lab.” Mentally, she thanked all the history books she had read on the subject.

“How do they explain what happened to the kids to the parents?” the girl asked; she appeared to be enjoying Kate’s part of the story more than the original material.

“Accidents,” Kate answered. “It is, after all, an old and decrepit mansion.”

“Wouldn’t they just kill it if it was that horrible?” one boy who looked Randy’s age, around sixteen, asked. “I mean, why let all those kids die if they could just kill it?”

Kate looked at the boy in the eye. “Let’s see you go find and kill him.” She paused for effect, the way Randy had done whenever he told his story. “The Dratini Man has the strength of at least one pokemon, if not more. After all, who knows what exactly happened to him?” She looked away from the crowd into the smoldering coals of what was left of the fire. “Plus, that mansion is his home. He probably knows it like the back of his hand, if he still has them. Any hunters going in there wouldn’t stand a chance.”

The room was silent. Kate could almost feel Randy’s gaze on her. She wondered if he was mad for taking away his attention or glad she had saved his story. Maybe he was both.

The young boy let out a great yawn, which traveled down the circle of people. Everyone, Kate included, was tired. Now warmed not only by fire but also by excitement, everyone was feeling their fatigue and was getting ready to head to bed. One by one, each person stood up, said goodnight and left for their rooms.

Kate looked back at Randy. He wasn’t looking at her anymore, but he had a smile on his face. So he was glad. Kate smiled and hugged her cousin. She’d do anything to save her favourite bed-time story, even come up with some farfetched conspiracy theory that could never be true.

IT WAS A ONE-TAILED NO-HANDED MAN-EATING DRATINI MONSTER~
ONE-TAILED NO-HANDED MAN-EATING DRATINI MONSTER~
ONE-TAILED NO-HANDED MAN-EATING DRATINI MONSTER~
Sure sounded strange to me.
(Man-eating?)

Heh heh, couldn't resist. This sounds very good. I think I know what's gonna happen, though...

I bet the ONE-TAILED NO-HANDED MAN-EATING DRATINI MONSTER is a simple Dratini Pokémorph banned to the freakzone by Mew, and he started a whole clan of ONE-TAILED NO-HANDED MAN-EATING DRATINI MONSTERS. xD

Last edited:
Part One​

Kate, now eighteen, sat in her best friend’s spacious apartment. Four years of traveling had made her and her beloved cousin, Randy, strong trainers and close friends. They had seen the world – well, at least Kanto, Johto and Hoenn. They had strong pokemon. Randy’s persian lay at the foot of the couch while Kate’s pidgeot sat outside, enjoying the warm sunshine.

Over the years, both Kate and Randy had lost interest in the story of Dratini Man. It was just some dumb scary story, they had figured. Together they had faced true fear – the fear of losing one another. How many times had their lives been in peril? But each experience, no matter how petrifying, had strengthened their bond. Now, they were inseparable.

They had only recently returned from Hoenn. Having no jobs and not as much money as they would have liked, they hadn’t been able to find a place to live. Good thing Kate’s friend, Ruby, was kind enough to share her apartment with them. It helped that she was wealthy too, and her apartment had more than enough room for them. Kate sat beside Ruby while Randy was out looking for work. They had spent most of the time they had alone together catching up. They had exchanged letters and phone calls over the years, but this was the first time they had seen each other in person in four years.

Ruby’s first words to Kate when they saw each other were, “You look amazing, Kate!” When Kate had left her friend, she was a chubby fourteen-year-old with no sense of direction. But years of walking forever on foot, learning how to survive and move forward, had whipped her body and mind into shape. She was much healthier, and felt much better about herself. True, she wasn’t the prettiest girl ever – her eyes were too small, her skin was covered in freckles and her brown hair was always frizzy and uncontrollable. But she wasn’t looking to enter any beauty pageants.

But now, alone, the two girls had their girly chat out of the way. Ruby looked like she had business on her mind. “Not two days before you arrived, Kate, did I find this, and I immediately thought of you.” She stood up off her leather couch and walked over a bookshelf that was set into the far wall. She pulled a thick book off a shelf and turned to Kate. “You must look at this.”

Kate’s eyes immediately saw the title on the spine of the book. The Legend of the Dratini Man: A Historical Look at the Famous Monster of Cinnabar Island, by Anonymous. Mysterious. Ruby returned to the couch and sat down lightly, holding the book out to her friend.

“I haven’t heard of this story in a long time,” Kate said, taking the book from her friend. Immediately she felt something inside her stir. It surprised her, and she sat there for a moment, simply staring at the blank cover of the heavy book.

“Kate?” Ruby asked. “Are you okay?” Kate shook her head and opened the book. The book itself was fairly new – Kate noticed the copyright was dated only a couple years ago – but the pages looked yellowed. Probably just part of the effect, Kate thought. They want it to look creepy so more people will buy it. She glanced at the table of contents, noting the subjects. There was a whole section dedicated to the history of the science experiments. Another section was dedicated to the rumors and stories that had been circulated. The very last section before the Suggested Reading was simply entitled Truth. Curious, Kate flipped to that section.

I was just a boy when they took me, and I have lived my life in fear and loneliness ever since…

Kate gasped as she read the first line of the section. The words almost popped right out of the page. She felt a sudden surge of emotion as her eyes welled up with tears. She felt a stabbing pain in her heart and an overwhelming sense of loneliness. Her shaking hands couldn’t grasp the book, and it fell to the floor with a solid thud.

Ruby quickly took Kate’s hands in hers. “Kate, what’s wrong?” Ruby asked frantically. She pulled her friend into a hug as Kate broke down and cried hard. She cried for several minutes, shaking hard, gripping her friend like she was her life line. Ruby rubbed her back and told her to let it all out.

She had barely recovered when Randy walked in. One look at Kate and he was by her side in a flash. He held her in his strong arms, and she leaned against his hard chest, still trembling just a little bit. Randy demanded to know what had happened, but Ruby could only offer him a shrug.

When Kate felt calm again, she sat up. She rubbed at her eyes, which stung a little bit. Then, without a word to anyone, she quickly picked up the fallen and temporarily forgotten book. The corner of the page she had been reading had folded over in the fall, and it looked as if someone had dog-eared the page for her. She quickly closed the book.

“What the hell happened, Kate?” Randy asked her, looking like the worried big brother he always was.

“I don’t know,” Kate answered, although she wasn’t being totally honest. She knew it had to do with the book. Just what exactly, she wasn’t sure. She excused herself and went into her bedroom, clutching the book to her chest.

Taking a couple deep breaths, Kate opened the tome once again to the section marked Truth and read. It wasn’t a long section, and this time, she wasn’t stricken with mysterious, overwhelming emotions. Instead, she read a first-person narrative of what was supposed to be the Dratini Man, as far as she could tell. It described his life, his feelings. The details of his creation were kept to a minimum – perhaps which was described fully in another section.

The story was incredibly saddening. Kate felt great pity for this pathetic creature. It touched on his cannibalism, if it could still be called that. He was so remorseful for the deaths he caused, but it seemed he couldn’t control his actions. His hunger for human flesh was so great that whenever he would find someone lurking in his territory – that was the word he used, territory – his instincts would take over. He’d black out, and when he woke up, he was covered in blood with a carcass beside him. Because of this, everyone feared him and many had tried to go in and kill him. But, he wrote – and this gave Kate chills – he knew his territory better than anyone, and he won every battle the townspeople waged against him.

When she had finished the narrative, Kate was crying again, but not to the extent she had when she first opened the book. She didn’t know whether or not this was a work of fiction – it was more than likely, but a part of her, perhaps the little girl inside her, wanted to believe the Dratini Man himself had written it.

She felt something stir inside her again. She thumbed through the pages as she calmed down, pausing on a small section of illustrations. They were drawings and diagrams of the Dratini Man through the last ten years, some she had seen before in other books. One she had never seen before was drawn so well it could have been a photograph, and it caught Kate’s attention the most. It showed a man sitting on a windowsill, gazing out into the night sky. His skin was pale, his limbs large and strong. A short, thick tail protruded out of his lower back. He was shown naked and, much to Kate’s surprise, fat, as if he was gorged on the children he ate instead of just scraping by. No other illustration of the Dratini Man showed him like that – he always looked a bit like an emaciated dragon in other pictures. His hands were large, clawed and pressed against the window in the same fashion as a small child wishing upon a star.

What are you wishing for? Kate wondered.

Randy walked in at that moment, halting Kate’s ponderings. He sat beside her and looked at the illustration of the Dratini Man.

“It’s been a while since I’ve thought about him,” Randy said. “I’ve never seen this picture before.”

“Neither have I,” Kate told him. “It’s…”

“Interesting.”

“Sad.” Kate felt Randy look at her, just as she had that night of the storm, the night she had saved his story.

“What’s up, Kate?” he asked. “You feeling sorry for a fictional character?”

Kate felt a small pang at his words. “What if he’s not fictional?” she asked, just putting her thoughts into a single question. Randy just laughed.

“Come on, Kate,” he said, lightly hitting her shoulder. “You know the stories aren’t true. You’re too old to believe in fairy tales.”

Kate nodded quietly, keeping her gaze on the pitiful creature in front of her. “Maybe we could just check,” she said after a moment. Randy shook his head.

“Kate, you know we can’t do that. We can’t afford it.” He took the book from her, closed it, and dropped it on the bed behind them. “It’s just a silly story to scare kids. That’s all. No pokemorph could have survived those experimentations.”

How do you know?! Kate wanted to scream, but she knew better. Randy would just get pissed and yell back, then they wouldn’t speak forever. No, it was better she just accept what Randy said.

At least, as for now.

Back
Top Bottom