• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

LET'S PLAY SUIKODEN; FUCK YEAH GS4

surskitty

「にがいのは いやだ」って…
Pronoun
they
UPDATE PERMALINKS --
SUIKODEN I ~ [ 01 ] [ 02 ] [ 03 ] [ 04 ] [ 05 ] [ 06 ] [ 07 ] [ 08 ] [ 09 ] [ 10 ] [ 11 ] [ 12 ] [ 13 ] [ 14] [ 15 ] [ 16 ] [ 17 ] [ 18 ] [ 19 ] [ 20 ] [ 21 ] [ 22 ] [ 23 ] [ 24 ] [ 25 ] [ 26 ] [ 27 ]
SUIKODEN II ~ [ 01 ] [ 02 ] [ 03 ] [ 04 ] [ 05 ] [ 06 ] [ 07 ] [ 08 ] [ 09 ] [ 10 ] [ 11 ] [ 12 ] [ 13 ] [ 14 ] [ 15 ] [ 16 ] [ 17 ] [ 18 ] [ 19 ] [ 20 ] [ 21 ] [ 22 ] [ 23 ] [ 24 ] [ 25 ] [ 26 ] [ 27 ] [ 28 ] [ 29 ] [ 30 ] [ 31 ] [ 32 ] [ 33 ] [ 34 ] [ 35 ] [ 36 ] [ 37 ] [ 38 ] [ 39 ] [ 40 ] [ 41 ] [ 42 ] [ 43 ] [ 44 ] [ 45 ] [ 46 ] [ 47 ] [ 48 ]
SUIKOGAIDEN VOLUME 1 ~ [ 01 ] [ 02 ] [ 03 ] [ 04 ]
SUIKOGAIDEN VOLUME 2 ~ [ 01 ] [ 02 ] [ 03 ] [ 04 ]
SUIKODEN III ~ eventually
RHAPSODIA ~ in progress
SUIKODEN IV ~ in progress
more RHAPSODIA ~ in progress
SUIKODEN V ~ eventually

A STARTING POINT: HERE is a place you can download the first game's soundtrack. That site also has a few Suikoden soundtracks that I didn't know existed before yesterday, because GenSui is a fandom where you can find ALL SORTS OF OBSCURE THINGS as long as you're not looking for, like, a game in the main universe that came out more recently than 2006??? Tierkreis does not count sorry Tierkreis fans I have been enjoying my adventures with Tierkreis whenever I don't get distracted with things like replaying Suikoden I for the tenth time or by trying to get to Viki's sequence in Suikogaiden 2, what is UP with that. But really. Tierkreis! It doesn't count for the purposes of this thread.

OKAY! ON WITH THE ACTUAL THING

THIS is the opening for the Sega Saturn remake. It is Japan-only, and the remake makes a bunch of pointless changes (though I'm sort of amused by there being a sequence in the good ending where you must PLAY AS YOUR DEAD STAR OF DESTINY IN THE AFTERLIFE), but I like the modified opening. It fits in with Suikoden II's opening much better than the original opening does. You can look that one up if you want; the music's the same but the visual's less interesting.

Text is, from memory, PLEASE TELL ME THE ANSWER / IS FATE UNCHANGEABLE

EVEN AT HIS MOST POWERLESS / MAN'S EXISTENCE IS NEVER WITHOUT MEANING

... ... ... Oh, hey, I paid attention to the opening this time and I'd gotten it right from memory despite seeing it in English like twice in the past year. Sob.
[MUSIC: Beginning (Name Entry)]
20110631_013553.png

THIS IS OUR HERO, SPINNING RIGHT HERE:
Tir_Spin.gif

He is ___ McDohl. (English fandom calls him Tir, because that's the name the novels use; Japanese fandom calls him bocchan, because so does half the cast.)

What's his name? It can be anything you guys like, as long as it's at most eight characters and it starts with M.

Okay, it doesn't HAVE to start with M.

... but it's not a bad idea.

Last edited:
Re: LET'S PLAY GENSOU SUIKODEN I & II

McTir (or MC Tir, that works too)

... I'm not actually sure how that would show up in II.

I now have a desire to name him Bator, simply because most of the cast who doesn't go BOCCHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN calls him Master _____.

I now have a desire to name him Bator, simply because most of the cast who doesn't go BOCCHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN calls him Master _____.

I seoncd this idea just for the lulz

Unfortunately it'd get old fast. :'( Video Game Recaps's PUGGY!!! and one of my friend's choice of 'fluffbun' take a lot longer to stop being funny.

What's with this forum's love of alphanumerical characters?

Clearly, you should name him ☆☆☆☆☆.

... I'm not actually sure how that would show up in II.

My Tir's name actually showed up as what I named him in I, as opposed to "TcDohl" or some variation of that, haha. Though that could be to do with the fact I gave Riou and Tir the same name?

Huh! That's interesting, Espeon. It could also possibly be because you're playing a european rom, aren't you?

What's with this forum's love of alphanumerical characters?

Clearly, you should name him ☆☆☆☆☆.
Going with this one out of curiosity as to if ☆ is uppercase! (This will be relevant when I get to SuikoII.) Except I went with ☆☆☆☆☆☆ so it's less tacky in the event that stars indeed are uppercase. Also six is a better number than five. You know I'm right.

This post would be totally borked in the near future because imageshack is a jerk and I don't really care enough to fix it here; click here for the actual update!

STATS:
- People with faces met: ☆☆☆☆☆☆, Teo McDohl, Barbarosa, Windy, Kasim Hazil, Kraze, Gremio, Ted, Cleo, Pahn, Sonya Shulen, Milich Oppenheimer, Marie = 13, 13 total
- Notable expeditions that have nothing to do with plot: 1, 1 total
- Typos I spotted: 2, 2 total
- Game Overs: 1, 1 total
- BOCCHAAA~~~N: Gremio: 4, Pahn: 2, Cleo: 2, total: 8
- Bathrooms: 0, but I think someone might be breaking Windy around here.

NEXT TIME: Ted tries to come out of the closet! Punks! Elephant dragons! More punks! Infinite staircases! Mysterious old women who teleport into people's rooms in the middle of the night while they're sleeping! Punks!

Last edited:

I was indeed playing on a European ROM! I suppose it's just something to look in to, haha. I can't wait for the influx of elephant-dragons. They crack me up every time.

Oh, I should probably note that I haven't tried doing one of these before and for now I'm erring on the side of thorough rather than funny. ... Also on the side of not making fun of Milich's wardrobe. It mocks itself.

THE STORY SO FAR: A bunch of people with faces got introduced, and nothing anyone cares about happened. :'(

Imageshack's going to be a butt and delete most of the images here and it's too annoying to bother fixing it up; click here for a better and functional version!

STATS:
- People with faces met: Futch, Luc, Leknaat, Kanaan = 4 + 13 = 17 total
- WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING: 1 + 1 = 2 total
- Game Overs: 0, 1 total
- BOCCHAAA~~~N: Gremio: 5 + 4 = 9, Pahn: 1 + 2 = 3, Cleo: 2 + 2 = 4, total: 16
- Bathrooms: 0

NEXT TIME: ANTS. ANTS EVERYWHERE. THOUSANDS OF THEM.

Last edited:

Haha, the dialogue in Leknaat's tower cracks me up every time. Especially Cleo and Pahn. "YOU'RE JUST HUNGRY!" "SHUT UP!"

Bocchan's what gets translated as YOUNG MASTERRRRRRRRRRR. 'bocchan' sounds better as far as I'm concerned and I'm amused by counting how many times Gremio in particular yells it. Mainly because Cleo and Pahn switch to his name eventually while Gremio is still squealing BOCHAAAAAAAAAN in SuikoII. Sigh Gremio you are so endearingly annoying. And unsubtle.

Thanks to H-land and Espeon for helping me with a few comments. :3

OKAY. THIS UPDATE IS THE LAST MOSTLY-IRRELEVANT ONE \o/

THE STORY SO FAR: Met our friendly neighbourhood maladjusted mages! Oh, and heard some bullshit about destiny. Whee, bullshit about destiny. I think something else might've happened, but -- no, not really.

I haven't actually done anything about Imageshack's buttitude with this one as of time of editing, but even if it is going to be a butt, this version has ALT TEXT so you can still follow along. Besides, I kind of want to be able to load this page easier.

STATS:
- People with faces met: Marco, Varkas, Sydonia = 3 + 17 = 20 total
- WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING: 1 + 2 = 3 total
- Game Overs: 0, 1 total
- BOCCHAAA~~~N: Gremio: 3 + 9 = 12, Pahn: 3, Cleo: 4, total: 19
-

NEXT TIME: Getting magic shiny objects and the fuck out of Gregminster!

Last edited:

I FOUND THE 4 DAMAGE
Do I get a cookie :D

You are very punny.
Varkas is such a nice blend of "Karkat" and "Vantas."
HMMM MR. HUSS13, H4V3 YOU H34RD 4 G4M3 C4LL3D SU1KOD3N?

Those geology puns were bad, and you should feel bad.

But get over it quickly because this is amusing. Someone else recced Suikoden on another site, and now that I've had two people tell me "GO PLAY IT" and I've seen a bit of this I will admit that I'm interested and will probably find a way to give it a try! Eventually! Hueg backlog is hueg and all that.

You get a ... you get a not quite a cookie, that's what you get. Cheesecake? Yeah, sure, cheesecake.

Hey, Varkas is even the red one. It totally works. I guess.

Out of curiosity, is it easier to follow with the portrait icons or with the actual names? I've nearly always found the icons easier -- exception being Shu and Huan in II -- but ... Eh, I'm mostly doing this to amuse myself anyway.

Hey, Kratos! I made a rec thread a while ago and included handy-dandy links to things like roms and emulators. Except I totally didn't. Because that would be Wrong. But seriously, I'm playing this on my $300 netbook running Ubuntu without any problems. You can get through the first game in about 12 hours if you know exactly what you're doing and don't waste time; most playthroughs end up around 20 hours. The second game's doable in a bit under 20 hours; I finished at around 45 both times I played, but a lot of that was spent idling trying to get the entirely-optional squirrels to join. And on my second file I wasted about three hours beating up 108 groups of soldiers at the beginning of the game because I heard rumours that if you beat up 108 groups of soldiers before jumping off the cliff, the opening sequence would be in colour rather than sepia tones. Said rumours are right, btw.

The rest of the series is quite a bit harder to emulate, being PS2 (ignoring the gaidens which are japan-only) games, and suikoIII was never released in Europe, but they're good too. Or well V is good. III has good writing and terrible gameplay (the manga adaptation is mostly good, though, and actually findable unlike the other manga adaptations) and IV has terrible writing and good gameplay. V is really fucking long, but it's pretty good. Just needs more palette swaps: it keeps reusing the same monsters all over the place. :( I haven't played enough of III or IV to say if they tend to reuse monsters, and I haven't played Tactics at all yet (I plan on doing so whenever I finish this LP or get bored), but I and II definitely don't reuse monster designs much. It's kind of neat, really.

Also, about the rock puns: Espeon and H-land helped, because they're great like that. :)

FUCK YES, BEGINNING OF ACTUAL PLOT.

THE STORY SO FAR: A bunch of people have been introduced, and our manipulative b(est|oy) friend is off with the Scumbags with Faces. WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG

It's amazing how much easier this shit is to follow when you have alt text.

STATS:
- People with faces met: Viktor = 1 + 20 = 21 total
- WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING: 3 total
- Game Overs: 1 total
- BOCCHAAA~~~N: Gremio: 10 + 12 = 22, Pahn: 2 + 3 = 5, Cleo: 4 + 4 = 8, other: 4, total: 39
- People I'm going to throw into the moat as soon as I get a goddamn moat: 1. Fuck you, Pahn.

NEXT TIME: Viktor's friends! I ALWAYS DID WANT TO JOIN A REVOLUTION.

... I usually don't play Tir as quite this much of an asshole. It doesn't ... actually matter ever ... but usually I feel bad being a jerk to Ted. This playthrough, I don't. Not sure why.

Last edited:

It's weird, for some reason about half the portraits don't show up and all I see where it should be is a space and a colon.

Imageshack's being a butt, then. This ... could be a bit of a pain in the ass, but if you quote my post, you could check the urls for 'm: all of the portraits are named the character name. Orrrrrr better yet I could stop using imageshack.

You know what would've been really smart to do? Writing a script to autoreplace names with the portrait icons earlier on. Sob.

Have been feeling awful for the past ... while ... hence haven't been updating.

THE STORY SO FAR: Sorry about nearly getting arrested, dad, it was for a good cause :'(

We are the fuck out of Gregminster, and shall remain there for ... quite a while. Probably third to last suikoI update.

But you'll have to click here for the actual update because it's really annoying to keep trying to fiddle with shit over here and images are not always reliable and I can't even alt text.

STATS:
- People with faces met: Flik, Humphrey, Odessa, Sanchez, Krin = 5 + 21 = 26 total
- WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING: 3 total
- Game Overs: 1 total
- BOCCHAAA~~~N: Gremio: 9 + 22 = 31, Pahn: 5, Cleo: 8 + 2 = 10, other: 4, total: 50
- Bathrooms: 0, though we have found sewers....

NEXT TIME: Fucking ninjas, dude. Ninjas. Also pigeons, and our hero quite possibly does the horizontal tango. ... Much to Gremio's dismay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom