• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

War on Drugs

You can have that opinion, sure, but it's not a very good reason. This *is* the Debating Hall; Chalumeau is asking if you have any other reason to think that all drugs should be illegal.

So, in short, I think drugs should be kept completely illegal, and I also think that more education should be given about drugs. Those "this is what your brain looks like with drugs" signs with pictures of eggs next to them are just too rediculous.
See, the thing with this is ... is keeping drugs illegal less harmful than decriminalising them? And the answer to that is overwhelmingly 'no'.

See, the thing with this is ... is keeping drugs illegal less harmful than decriminalising them? And the answer to that is overwhelmingly 'no'.

Well, making it 'okay' to take them isn't really going to help the matter either, is it? Think of a hypothetical situation in California: a person walks into a doctors office, complaining of a persistent migrain. The doctor offers medical marijuana as a painkiller, saying, "this stuff is okay according to law. Trust me." The person, whether or not initially opposed to drugs, will likely accept it, because the doctor says so. Sadly, in reality, the drug is not as safe as the doctor says. Legalizing drugs is not going to help anything, because it takes off that big "not recommended" stamp that the law gives illegal things, which will entice more people to do them without feeling guilty. So, while keeping drugs illegal might not help anything, legalizing them is going to help matters even less.

However, if you are coming from the standpoint that people get needlessly arrested over drugs, I agree. However, it would be better to send them to counceling with a doctor to help get them off than to avoid arrest entirely by legalizing them.

Well, making it 'okay' to take them isn't really going to help the matter either, is it? Think of a hypothetical situation in California: a person walks into a doctors office, complaining of a persistent migrain. The doctor offers medical marijuana as a painkiller, saying, "this stuff is okay according to law. Trust me." The person, whether or not initially opposed to drugs, will likely accept it, because the doctor says so. Sadly, in reality, the drug is not as safe as the doctor says. Legalizing drugs is not going to help anything, because it takes off that big "not recommended" stamp that the law gives illegal things, which will entice more people to do them without feeling guilty. So, while keeping drugs illegal might not help anything, legalizing them is going to help matters even less.

However, if you are coming from the standpoint that people get needlessly arrested over drugs, I agree. However, it would be better to send them to counceling with a doctor to help get them off than to avoid arrest entirely by legalizing them.
Haha, ow.

Yeah, see, I have a migraine most days. Like, 'I have a good pain day about once every other week.' One of the things about migraines is they make it really hard to actually think. Absolutely everything's more difficult because so many of my resources are devoted to going I'M IN PAIN, and a lot of the ones that aren't devoted to that are focusing on ignoring pain, so I don't have room for things like knowing where my feet are so I don't trip every few minutes. I currently have a broken ankle because I went downstairs to get food with a migraine. I am way fucked.

Migraines also tend to cause brain damage :V so there's that.

Now, ignoring that possessing marijuana 99% of the time in the US can get you up to ten years in jail depending on your race and class, which is better: being in enough pain I now own a wheelchair and live on the first floor because I can't reliably get to the kitchen without hurting myself, or being high instead of in pain? I still wouldn't be able to get much done physically, but I'd have a much higher quality of life. And probably less risk of brain damage because I'd be having fewer migraines.

Add in that migraines with aura (hi!) tend to cause brain damage, while most of the health detriments from smoking marijuana are from smoking marijuana, not using marijuana.... Smoking is bad. As it turns out, your lungs don't much appreciate having fine particles going into them, regardless of what those particles are. But there are a lot of other ways to get high off marijuana that don't have that particular issue.

Also, marijuana, unlike a lot of the medications I have been prescribed, is not likely to kill me. Which is more than one can say for quite a few things.

But getting caught with marijuana while something other than rich and white can ruin your life, so don't. Drug laws are mostly there for legalised racism. (The rest is so the US can get cheap bananas.)

Back
Top Bottom