• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What do you look for in Video Games?

What feature is most important?

• Graphics/Effects

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Freedom

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Plotline

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Characters

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters

CJBlazer

Where have I been at?
Discuss what do you want to see in a video game.

I perosnally think plotline is basic for any video game. If a game has no plotline, I don't see the point in playing it. Also, I like freedom in games. If you are required to just go through the story, it is rather boring to me.

So, what about you? Does this apply to you as well?

It depends on the kind of game for me. Action games generally need to have a storyline for my to enjoy them, otherwise they get boring quite quickly. The first time I played through the Assassin's Creed games I enjoyed them a lot, but replying them is quite dull since I already know the story, so it's just repetitive stabby stabby. So replayability is a big one for me, though that's often hard to measure as you have to play through it at least once to know.
Platform or puzzle games don't need to have as much of a story, though having one is always a bonus.

I like freedom in games too, though games that pretty much let you do anything like some kinds of simulation games or Minecraft are ones I might play for hours on end, then get bored of quickly and blow everything up, then not play on them for months. So a bit of direction in a game is always welcome.

Music for me is a major part of gaming, as with story and gameplay. I really could care less about graphics unless that's the focus of the game (like Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, etc.)

I always hope for fantastic music, developed and relatable characters, replayability and gameplay.
Of course, it always depends on the game and genre.

Fun gameplay, enjoyable characters, good graphics (note that good does not necessarily mean realistic), and good music.

I can ignore a bad plot if I have those. (I am a Pokémon and Mega Man fan after all.)

Fun gameplay is what I primarily look for in a game. Games can have little to no storyline and still be great fun as long as the gameplay itself is addictive (just look at any Mario game). A rewarding system of unlockables is usually what keeps me interested and makes me want to keep playing. I enjoy games where you have to save up money to get better items and powers, as I can genuinely feel like I am doing something worthwhile by replaying levels and grinding. Freedom in games is also a big factor in how much I enjoy a game. Aesthetics like good graphics and music are really just the icing on the cake for me.

plot can be badly written or practically nonexistent so long as it has likeable/relatable characters, gameplay is good

also level design. even in fighting games, stage design and backdrops really matter to me

Games like Red Dead Redemption really appeal to me. It's one of those few games where the free roam is as good if not better than the story.

Oh, and Skyrim too. There are sooooooo many options. Have you seen the gamer's guide for that thing??

An interesting/amusing story and characters, OR turn-based strategy.

I like my games linear; when a game tells me "You can do whatever you want!", I stop playing the game and start doing something else. Fun gameplay is a bonus, but I have so many things to do that if the game is just a pleasant time-sink, I have way better things to sink my time into. If the game qualifies as a proper work of fiction by having plot and characterization, I get something out of having played it that makes it worth it; if not, I'll just be thinking I'd so much rather be doing X.

And although I don't play games just for the graphics, I do really like eye candy when it's there.

There are exceptions, like Journey, which I love because it's a) gorgeous and b) uses multiplayer to make you form real human connections with people you've never talked to and it's amazing.

Gameplay, mostly. It has to be fun to play.

As for story... that really depends on what kind of game it is! Some types of games should have one, yes, but for, say, platformers like Mario/Kirby/ect. (which I love) a deep plot isn't that important, I just want to have some fun running through the levels. Good level design, however, is important in this kind of game! (this kind of goes under gameplay) Fun, creative levels with just the right difficulty curve, ahh yes... and if the levels thenselves look good too that's even better!

Reward/achievement systems and collectibles are fun! Nothing like still having stuff left to do after having defeated the final boss, makes the game last longer.

A nice art style is always a plus - I don't mean like "ooh look how realistic and complicated the graphics are" but more like "ooh this is a cool art style it looks different and unique and cool". But in general, graphics don't matter to me as long as it doesn't hurt my eyes to look at.

Last edited:
Good storyline and decent gameplay. Graphics, music, and replayability are all nice, but not nessessary.

Plotline and replayability are the most important for me, though good music is also important. I don't want to play a game that makes my ears bleed. I also love a good puzzle game, and when that has a good element of fun that you have to come back to or a good storyline you know I'm hooked.

Characters! Because they're what stick with me long after a game/other piece of fiction. I have major respect for people who figure out complicated stuff about plots and timelines and worldbuilding and w/e but I usually just end up trying to figure out characters' favourite ice cream flavours and where they like to chill.

so, just going by that!!! also there are people who totally can't understand majorly character-based games like sim visual novels, but I on the other hand love that!! (also something can have really simple gameplay like ace attorney, but its characters and story make it great for me!)

I do occasionally play stuff that's really gameplay-focused but it's definitely not what I seek. nifty n cute rpgs about nifty n cute people are!

I really like games that are pretty open-ended and sandboxy, like pokemon or harvest moon and stuff, or ones that do have a plotline but there's a lot of time to go and do your own thing before coming back to the plot. I really like exploring and finding things so i tend to naturally gravitate to platformers or RPGs when I'm not looking at something more simulated like harvest moon. I just. Really like going off and doing my own thing. I would probably be the worst protagonist because I just spend a lot of time goofing off and looking at things. I really need to get around playing minecraft but I'm worried i might start playing and then never do anything else ever again.

I also love racing games (both kart racers or things like need for speed), but I don't play many of them so I'm often not very good.

I really like games that are pretty open-ended and sandboxy, like pokemon or harvest moon and stuff, or ones that do have a plotline but there's a lot of time to go and do your own thing before coming back to the plot..

Yes. I couldn't have worded that so greatly.

And REPLAY VALUE! In order for me to fully enjoy a game, it must be a game that I can enjoy playing over and over again!

An interesting/amusing story and characters, OR turn-based strategy.

I like my games linear; when a game tells me "You can do whatever you want!", I stop playing the game and start doing something else. Fun gameplay is a bonus, but I have so many things to do that if the game is just a pleasant time-sink, I have way better things to sink my time into. If the game qualifies as a proper work of fiction by having plot and characterization, I get something out of having played it that makes it worth it; if not, I'll just be thinking I'd so much rather be doing X.

Aaaaaaah Butterfreeeeeee play the Zero Escape seeeeeries :D

I like my games different for different things. I like to have some pick-up-and-play games on hand for when I'm bored in a waiting room (Tetris/Theatrhythm), I love a good multiplayer that's fun for all without requiring an insane skill level (MarioKart/SmashBros), I love plot-based texty games where I care about the characters and feel clever for guessing along with the plot (Ace Attorney/Zero Escape), I love adventuring in an epic fantasyworld (Final Fantasy/Tales of) and I love raising an army of monsters and beating stuff with them (Disgaea/Pokemon).

I've been thinking a lot and I realise that it still depends on the kind of game. Especially what kind of game I'm expecting to play rather than what kind of game it is. Fair warning: a bit of a ramble.

Does anyone else feel that with a lot of new(ish) games are a bit... well too much like a game? What I mean is that while you're playing it, or even remembering playing it, you're more aware that you're playing a game than with some other games. I'm not even entirely sure what it is that makes games feel this way, it certainly isn't all newer games. It appears most often in FPSes I think, though since I don't own many newish games that aren't FPSes I'm not entirely sure.
For example I recently played the original Deus Ex and absolutely loved it. So much in fact that I instantly got Human Revolution (I would've got Invisible War as well if it weren't for so many people telling me how awful it is), and while that is certainly a good game too, it just doesn't feel right. At first I thought maybe the way the engine worked might be behind it, but then I realised that I felt the same way about Bioshock 2, but not Bioshock 1 despite them running the same engine.

Then I noticed that these are from series of games where the games didn't really need to be made, the games before them didn't have to have anything added to the universe.

But THEN I realised I felt the same way about Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Revelations, and since the story in that series wasn't anywhere near wrapped up I couldn't say the same thing about them. So now I think it's just the fact that these games are essentially the same as the previous games in their series but with a different story.
While most games are like that, I don't have a problem with a lot of them, so I reckon it's just the fact that the games emphasise gameplay a bit too much over story. There are only so many Assassin's Creed games that I can play before I get tired of having to run around stabbing people to learn more about what's going on.

But I don't have this problem with Pokémon or Mario, despite them being even worse in the emphasis of gameplay over story. This is because I go into those games wanting the gameplay; I don't expect a brilliant story out of them. When I go into Deus Ex or Assassin's Creed, I expect to be enthralled by the story, but I'm prevented by doing this because the amount of shooting and stabbing makes me overly aware that this is a game I'm playing.

I think the best parallel would be how Hollywood films focus on being an exciting film over being a good film in order to get more money, and while you're watching them, "cool" things like explosions and stunts can bring you right out of it if they get too excessive.

I just want something fun, not too much of a difficulty curve, and something just easy to pick up and play. Though I will make some exceptions if I am playing the game with someone I feel happy with (I tend to get frustrated otherwise).

Back
Top Bottom