• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Challenge Board

Here is a challenge I am offering to ref, for up to 18 participants. This is heavily based on Eifie's Baby Bug Brawl challenge and we also collaborated on the arena, so one of those spots is reserved for her and Jo-Ni, TiMF Travler of Dears. If you do not already have a Luvdisc but would like to participate in this battle, send me a VM and I'll buy one for you or reimburse you for the cost!

Format: 1v1v1v1v...v1
DQ: a really long time
Damage Cap: 25% in the first round, none afterwards
Banned/Restricted Moves: none
Arena Description: A brawl pit for mini luvs (basically a really big open-air pool). Could this sea more adorable?

• Only Luvdisc can be used, and any signature attributes/moves are considered to be nullified for the duration of the battle.
  • Every Pokemon will start with 50% health and 50% energy, in the interest of having this battle not drag on for too long.
  • Commands will be PMed to the ref (me). If a trainer doesn't send in commands within a week of the reffing being posted, their Luvdisc will not do anything for the round.
  • This battle doesn't take up a slot, will not award monetary prizes, and won't count towards win/loss records.
  • Upon accepting the challenge, each player should post a type, a thematically related costume, and a link to the Luvdisc they intend to use. Their Luvdisc will then dress up, gaining the chosen type as a secondary typing for the duration of the battle and also obtaining access to a move of that type, detailed below. However, this move can only be used once in the battle.
    • Normal: Techno Blast
    • Fire: Sacred Fire
    • Grass: Seed Flare
    • Ground: Precipice Blades
    • Flying: Dragon Ascent
    • Psychic: Psystrike
    • Rock: Diamond Storm
    • Ghost: Shadow Force
    • Dragon: Roar of Time
    • Dark: Hyperspace Fury
    • Steel: Doom Desire
    • Fairy: Light of Ruin
    • Ice: Ice Burn
    • Water: Steam Eruption (the Luvdisc will be pure Water type, not Water/Water)
    • Electric: Volt Tackle
    • Fighting: High Jump Kick
    • Poison*: Belch
    • Bug*: Tail Glow
*If more than 16 people are interested, or someone really really wants their Luvdisc to be one of these types, these types will also be made available.
  1. Eifie (Jo-Ni TiMF Travler of Dears, Electric, Pikachu ears and dye)
  2. JackPK (totally a rhyperior, Rock, helmet)
  3. The Omskivar (Sergio, Ground, miner's hat)
  4. Superbird (Lotta, Fairy, Lotta Hart costume)
  5. Metallica Fanboy (Irony, Normal, thick-framed diving goggles)
  6. TruetoCheese (Tom Foolery, Dark, dapper costume)
  7. Lord of the Fireflies (Lady McSpooky, Ghost, spooky costume)
  8. I liek Squirtles (Coeur Brisé, Dragon, Chinese dragon costume)
  9. Wargle (Pompadour, Steel, Gothic plate armor)
  10. Totodile (The Fish, Grass, laurel wreath + fig leaf)
  11. Bobino (Luvdisc, Ice, no costume)
no homo shall enter the fray, wearing a Nike snapback and a near-lethal amount of Axe body spray.

Fighting-type, of course

I'M CALLING YOU OUT SANDFROIDISH, TO SUMMER SLAM!

Format: 5 v 5, single
Style: Set
DQ: 2 weeks
Damage Cap: 25%, not including traps or enemies
Banned/Restricted Moves: No OTK or direct recovery moves, no floating pokemon (including moves like Magnet Rise, we don't want this place to get too safe!)
Arena Description: Sen's Funhouse (obligatory theme song)

YOU DIED

Welcome to the house of fun! Sen's Fortress is an ancient castle looming right next to an undead church and a blacksmith, and hovers right over a large garden of death; it is infamous among players for being filled to the brim with traps such as giant axe pendulums on narrow walkways, pressure plates that trigger powerful arrows all over the place, even right at the entrance(hence the fanname "Funhouse Welcome Button") Indiana Jones-esque boulder chases, giants hurtling large explosives, elevators that kick you off with spiked roofs if you stay on them too long, and snake men. Lots and lots of snake men. It is dark and maze-like, with numerous floors and enemies, and is often the point in where new players just give up.

YOU DIED AGAIN

So obviously this is the perfect place for one hell of a haphazard battle! The battle will begin on the thin bridges near the beginning; the one with death pendulums and a snake woman throwing lighting in the background; obviously falling off would be disastrous, as the basement floor is sticky with tar, and thus difficult to move. Also, there are gigantic Titanite Demons that can most certainly one-shot a bitch, which is just more of an incentive to not fall off! Fortunately, all these enemies are too large for the cagevators, so they'll stay put if you escape.

There are also hanging cages everywhere, making them the perfect way to escape. The act "Ride a cage!" counts as an action, and can be used as a quick escape if one is nearby and you're in a pinch. If you ride a cage you can hop off at any point until you hit the roof (watch out for those spikes!) If both players decide to ride a cage, then they can still attack each other while going up or down, and even maybe destroy their cage. with enough pain.

YOU DIED AGAIN (AGAIN)

The snake men are tall, long, and scary; the males carry huge cleavers and shields, while the women shoot lightning at a distance. They do not care for any species of pokemon; they only want your blood, so Selvipers and Arboks won't get out of a fight! The males are resistant to all physical attacks (we'll just say they have high base defense and attack) and do large damage, but crumble to any magical attack (low special stats and HP, with moderate speed). For the sake of ease we'll say one special attack is enough to kill them, if you're a physical attacker you're better off trying to push them off the edge. The females have no such resistance, but their lightning can most certainly knock you back to the basement, where Titanite Demons wait for you in their basement. Speaking of the basement of fun, the Titanite Demons have high stats in all regards; they can be defeated, but they're huge, have a large hit radius, and are highly resistant to almost anything; you're better off hitching a ride with a cage to escape their fun, assuming the tar doesn't cling on you hard enough. There are two giants on the upper roofs of Sen's Fortress; one that launches explosives all over the upper floors, and one that drops the boulders for the hallways. And don't think they'll run out any time soon, because thanks to the power of the Lords they have infinite supplies. They're strong and have a lot of hp, but are slow as butts, so for a fast pokemon they shouldn't be a problem. If either of them are killed, then the streams of boulders or bombs stop obviously; they're too big and heavy for anything but the giants.

U DED

Now here comes the fun part! If you throw a stone in a corridor in the Funhouse odds are it'll come to the other side as a pin cushion and flat. Pressure plates are sprinkled out everywhere; to the unwary they'll do massive damage (5% normal-type damage for each arrow), but they can also be used by the clever to kill the snake men and their opponents. Once a plate has been stepped on it takes a while for it to rise again. As for the boulders, they'll do a large amount of rock-type damage (8%), so brace for impact with Protect! Near the top floor of the Funhouse (not the roof) is a control mechanism to redirect the stream of rocks, so again to the clever this can be quite a boon. Speaking of the clever, the Funhouse most certainly has seen it's better days; it's quite easy to break the walls and floors with a bit of elbow grease and a lot of muscle, so you can escape a rocky death if you're fast enough. The pendulums do a bit of damage (3%?), but the real threat are the big boyz at the basement.

And speaking of big boy, the father of them all is the Iron Golem, the boss of the dungeon. He's nonhostile until you entire his arena, at which he'll slaughter both trainer's pokemon without hesitation. He's very weak in the heels, so tripping him say over a cliff is one way to kill him. You could take him head-on, y'know, If you're stupid.

For the sake of simplicity, there are no NPCs, so no Onion Bro, Crestfallen Merchant, Black Iron Tarkus, or Richard to worry about.

Also because we're not denizens of the Dark Souls universe (thank fuck for that) there's no benefit from killing enemies and obtaining their souls, except to clear a way or stop an onslaught.

Thankfully, us trainers are in hoverboards and can completely go through solid walls and objects , so we'll never lose site of our pokemon and will be unfazed by any enemy attack or trap.

I fully expect the traps and enemies to kill us more than the actual battle. This is less of a test of skills and more of an exercise in masochism.

YOU

FUCKING

DIED

Tl;DR: Sen's Fortress is an old castle with pressure plates, swinging axes, demons, snakemen, cages that can be used as elevators, boulders, giants, and a robot golem as a boss. Expect to die alot.

Reference points for a referee:

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/sen-s-fortress

Guide of Sen's Fortress

(We can talk about any point if you feel like something's off, of course)

Last edited:
If anyone plans on picking up my battle with TrueToCheese, please message me before opening it in the database so that I can rearrange my active squad.

If anyone plans on picking up my battle with TrueToCheese, please message me before opening it in the database so that I can rearrange my active squad.

I think this should apply as a general rule for battles involving those members still participating in the League Championship.

Arena Description: A brawl pit for mini luvs (basically a really big open-air pool). Could this sea more adorable?

• Only Luvdisc can be used, and any signature attributes/moves are considered to be nullified for the duration of the battle.
  • Every Pokemon will start with 50% health and 50% energy, in the interest of having this battle not drag on for too long.
  • Commands will be PMed to the ref (me). If a trainer doesn't send in commands within a week of the reffing being posted, their Luvdisc will not do anything for the round.
  • This battle doesn't take up a slot, will not award monetary prizes, and won't count towards win/loss records.
  • Upon accepting the challenge, each player should post a type, a thematically related costume, and a link to the Luvdisc they intend to use. Their Luvdisc will then dress up, gaining the chosen type as a secondary typing for the duration of the battle and also obtaining access to a move of that type, detailed below. However, this move can only be used once in the battle.
*If more than 16 people are interested, or someone really really wants their Luvdisc to be one of these types, these types will also be made available.
  11. Bobino (Luvdisc, Ice, beanie with snowflakes around edges)
  12. Vipera Magnifica (no homo, Fighting, Nike snapback and Axe)

It's been a week since I posted this challenge and there's definitely enough people now, but I'll leave it up for around another day if anyone wants to make a last-minute entry.

It's been a week since I posted this challenge and there's definitely enough people now, but I'll leave it up for around another day if anyone wants to make a last-minute entry.

Sure, why not?

Lovebug feels up for the challenge. She'll be wearing a waterproof chicken outfit and be flying type.

Not sure how long trading post takes, but just want to make sure it'll be ok if my new Luvdisc, Bobbish, isn't reflecting on my profile yet.

offering to ref:

Format: 2v2 doubles
DQ: whatever
Damage cap: 40%
Banned moves: Metronome only
Arena: Moss Creek

A very shallow, but very wide creek. It's only a couple cm deep, but it keeps flowing steadily along. Rocks of varying size jut out from the bed, coated in patches of brownish-green moss. The banks of this creek are only vaguely defined, but there's not much interesting beyond them anyway: more rocks, yellow grass, and a wide open sky. What a beautiful view for you to ruin!

I don't particularly care if the battlers' Pokémon actually learn metronome or not, or if they're actually in your active squad, since metronome battles don't go in the db anyway.

Here is a challenge I am offering to ref, for up to 18 participants. This is heavily based on Eifie's Baby Bug Brawl challenge and we also collaborated on the arena, so one of those spots is reserved for her and Jo-Ni, TiMF Travler of Dears. If you do not already have a Luvdisc but would like to participate in this battle, send me a VM and I'll buy one for you or reimburse you for the cost!

11. Bobino (Luvdisc, Ice, beanie with snowflakes around edges)
  12. Vipera Magnifica (no homo, Fighting, Nike snapback and Axe)
  13. Emperor_Evulz (Lovebug, Flying, waterproof chicken outfit)

Alright, I'll close this up now! Expect the thread to go up within a few minutes. (I don't think having the Luvdisc in your active party should be a concern given how the Bug Brawl was configured, so that should be all right, Bobino.)

Format: 4v4
Style: set doubles
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: Direct recovery, Attract, Double Team, Rain Dance, Hail, Sandstorm. Moves will never inflict confusion.
Arena: a casual greenhouse date

let's have fun in the greenhouse with our grass type pokemon! i mean, i guess you could bring a non-grass type? but the flowers here let off some pretty thick stun spore and sleep powder every round, so you'd better make sure they don't lose their goggles... safer to just bring a grass type and not worry about it, don't you think?

there's plenty of room to move around inside the green house, and there are cement walking paths through the soft dirt, in case anyone wants to use a rock move. and the glass is pretty thick, so no worries if there's an earthquake, either.

I'll take this challenge! (Unless you wouldn't be fine with me using a Gourgeist or Lilligant, since I only have four Grass types?)

offering to ref:

Format: 2v2 doubles
Damage cap: 40%
Banned moves: Metronome only
Arena: Moss Creek

A very shallow, but very wide creek. It's only a couple cm deep, but it keeps flowing steadily along. Rocks of varying size jut out from the bed, coated in patches of brownish-green moss. The banks of this creek are only vaguely defined, but there's not much interesting beyond them anyway: more rocks, yellow grass, and a wide open sky. What a beautiful view for you to ruin!

I don't particularly care if the battlers' Pokémon actually learn metronome or not, or if they're actually in your active squad, since metronome battles don't go in the db anyway.

I'll take it!

(For what it's worth, I actually do have something that gets Metronome.)

I'll take this challenge! (Unless you wouldn't be fine with me using a Gourgeist or Lilligant, since I only have four Grass types?)

This challenge is still valid, but I'd actually appreciate it if prospective refs waited until after my battle with Byrus ends, just in case Dietrich gets to evolve. >.>

I like the idea of teamwork in ASB, so I'm making this open challenge.

Format: 2+2 vs 2+2 doubles
DQ: One week
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Destiny Bond, Pain Split, Direct Recovery (except during break time), Chills limited to 3 per Pokémon
Arena Description: Team-building Exercises

The arena takes place in a stereotypical corporate office setting. The cubicle walls have been removed, and computer desks covered in financial reports and stock portfolios have been pushed aside to make room for a Pokémon battle. The walls are covered in pie charts and motivational posters, and on some desks are little trinkets and house plants.

Water from the water coolers is available for attacks that need a water source, and the indoor plants can be used for attacks that require plants, dirt, or rocks. The weather, however, cannot be affected inside the office building.

Any time both teammates use a move of the same type during an action, they increase their "synergy" and their critical hit domains will increase by one. This can only occur once per round.

Every fifth round is union mandated break time. Battlers will make their way to the break room where they can chat around the water cooler, drink coffee, and eat snacks from the company fridge. During this round, only self-targeting moves and moves that affect allies can be used. The move Snatch will not steal opponents' moves. Battlers can also use an action to eat a sandwich from the company fridge, restoring 5% health at the cost of no energy.

Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Destiny Bond, Pain Split, Direct Recovery (except during break time), Chills limited to 3 per Pokémon

The arena takes place in a stereotypical corporate office setting. The cubicle walls have been removed, and computer desks covered in financial reports and stock portfolios have been pushed aside to make room for a Pokémon battle. The walls are covered in pie charts and motivational posters, and on some desks are little trinkets and house plants.

Water from the water coolers is available for attacks that need a water source, and the indoor plants can be used for attacks that require plants, dirt, or rocks. The weather, however, cannot be affected inside the office building.

Any time both teammates use a move of the same type during an action, they increase their "synergy" and their critical hit domains will increase by one. This can only occur once per round.

Every fifth round is union mandated break time. Battlers will make their way to the break room where they can chat around the water cooler, drink coffee, and eat snacks from the company fridge. During this round, only self-targeting moves and moves that affect allies can be used. The move Snatch will not steal opponents' moves. Battlers can also use an action to eat a sandwich from the company fridge, restoring 5% health at the cost of no energy.

I have a bunch of open battle slots right now. I'll use this to fill one of them.

Taking this as well.

sounds nice! i'll pitch in!

Might as well have one low-pressure thing going on.

Format: 2v2
DQ: 1 month
Damage Cap: 49%
Banned/Restricted Moves: Direct recovery, Pain Split, any moves that instantly faint a battler (Explosion, OHKOs, Destiny Bond, Perish Song, etc.), Attract. Chills are restricted to 7 per Pokémon.
Arena: Derelict Ship

I'm sure it must have been a cool arena that these two trainers must have originally been planning to fight in, if it was only accessible by boat. What a shame, then, that it turns out that a quick Metronome Battle doesn't really make for a good way to pass the time in a marine trip. Fortunately -- or, perhaps, disappointingly -- the ship is still standing; however, avoiding the increasingly distressful seas has ultimately led to it being rammed against the shallows. The crew has evacuated in an orderly fashion, using lifeboats efficiently enough that many were left on board... But instead of going home, the trainers suddenly the decided that the abandoned vessel actually made for one sick arena, too.

The fight will take place aboard a ship that lies trapped in shallow water, standing perfectly straight despite a gaping hole in the bottom of the hull. The battlers will begin from the upper deck, with access to the lower deck below via a flight of stairs, and then to the cargo hold via another, each taking about an action to climb down for a Pokémon of average speed and with adequate limbs for the motion. Of course, holes through the floor can work just as well as means of locomotion across the decks. It's also possible to take the fight all the way to the shallows, providing even a good chance to disturb the maritime wildlife (although it may furiously retaliate if sufficiently provoked -- you never know if there are Gyarados in the water!).

Additional Rules: Sleep will only be successfully induced once against each team (arena effects aren't affected by this restriction and don't trigger it).

I'M CALLING YOU OUT SANDFROIDISH, TO SUMMER SLAM!

Format: 5 v 5, single
DQ: 2 weeks
Damage Cap: 25%, not including traps or enemies
Banned/Restricted Moves: No OTK or direct recovery moves, no floating pokemon (including moves like Magnet Rise, we don't want this place to get too safe!)
Arena Description: Sen's Funhouse (obligatory theme song)

YOU DIED

Welcome to the house of fun! Sen's Fortress is an ancient castle looming right next to an undead church and a blacksmith, and hovers right over a large garden of death; it is infamous among players for being filled to the brim with traps such as giant axe pendulums on narrow walkways, pressure plates that trigger powerful arrows all over the place, even right at the entrance(hence the fanname "Funhouse Welcome Button") Indiana Jones-esque boulder chases, giants hurtling large explosives, elevators that kick you off with spiked roofs if you stay on them too long, and snake men. Lots and lots of snake men. It is dark and maze-like, with numerous floors and enemies, and is often the point in where new players just give up.

YOU DIED AGAIN

So obviously this is the perfect place for one hell of a haphazard battle! The battle will begin on the thin bridges near the beginning; the one with death pendulums and a snake woman throwing lighting in the background; obviously falling off would be disastrous, as the basement floor is sticky with tar, and thus difficult to move. Also, there are gigantic Titanite Demons that can most certainly one-shot a bitch, which is just more of an incentive to not fall off! Fortunately, all these enemies are too large for the cagevators, so they'll stay put if you escape.

There are also hanging cages everywhere, making them the perfect way to escape. The act "Ride a cage!" counts as an action, and can be used as a quick escape if one is nearby and you're in a pinch. If you ride a cage you can hop off at any point until you hit the roof (watch out for those spikes!) If both players decide to ride a cage, then they can still attack each other while going up or down, and even maybe destroy their cage. with enough pain.

YOU DIED AGAIN (AGAIN)

The snake men are tall, long, and scary; the males carry huge cleavers and shields, while the women shoot lightning at a distance. They do not care for any species of pokemon; they only want your blood, so Selvipers and Arboks won't get out of a fight! The males are resistant to all physical attacks (we'll just say they have high base defense and attack) and do large damage, but crumble to any magical attack (low special stats and HP, with moderate speed). For the sake of ease we'll say one special attack is enough to kill them, if you're a physical attacker you're better off trying to push them off the edge. The females have no such resistance, but their lightning can most certainly knock you back to the basement, where Titanite Demons wait for you in their basement. Speaking of the basement of fun, the Titanite Demons have high stats in all regards; they can be defeated, but they're huge, have a large hit radius, and are highly resistant to almost anything; you're better off hitching a ride with a cage to escape their fun, assuming the tar doesn't cling on you hard enough. There are two giants on the upper roofs of Sen's Fortress; one that launches explosives all over the upper floors, and one that drops the boulders for the hallways. And don't think they'll run out any time soon, because thanks to the power of the Lords they have infinite supplies. They're strong and have a lot of hp, but are slow as butts, so for a fast pokemon they shouldn't be a problem. If either of them are killed, then the streams of boulders or bombs stop obviously; they're too big and heavy for anything but the giants.

U DED

Now here comes the fun part! If you throw a stone in a corridor in the Funhouse odds are it'll come to the other side as a pin cushion and flat. Pressure plates are sprinkled out everywhere; to the unwary they'll do massive damage (5% normal-type damage for each arrow), but they can also be used by the clever to kill the snake men and their opponents. Once a plate has been stepped on it takes a while for it to rise again. As for the boulders, they'll do a large amount of rock-type damage (8%), so brace for impact with Protect! Near the top floor of the Funhouse (not the roof) is a control mechanism to redirect the stream of rocks, so again to the clever this can be quite a boon. Speaking of the clever, the Funhouse most certainly has seen it's better days; it's quite easy to break the walls and floors with a bit of elbow grease and a lot of muscle, so you can escape a rocky death if you're fast enough. The pendulums do a bit of damage (3%?), but the real threat are the big boyz at the basement.

And speaking of big boy, the father of them all is the Iron Golem, the boss of the dungeon. He's nonhostile until you entire his arena, at which he'll slaughter both trainer's pokemon without hesitation. He's very weak in the heels, so tripping him say over a cliff is one way to kill him. You could take him head-on, y'know, If you're stupid.

For the sake of simplicity, there are no NPCs, so no Onion Bro, Crestfallen Merchant, Black Iron Tarkus, or Richard to worry about.

Also because we're not denizens of the Dark Souls universe (thank fuck for that) there's no benefit from killing enemies and obtaining their souls, except to clear a way or stop an onslaught.

Thankfully, us trainers are in hoverboards and can completely go through solid walls and objects , so we'll never lose site of our pokemon and will be unfazed by any enemy attack or trap.

I fully expect the traps and enemies to kill us more than the actual battle. This is less of a test of skills and more of an exercise in masochism.

YOU

FUCKING

DIED

Tl;DR: Sen's Fortress is an old castle with pressure plates, swinging axes, demons, snakemen, cages that can be used as elevators, boulders, giants, and a robot golem as a boss. Expect to die alot.

Reference points for a referee:

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/sen-s-fortress

Guide of Sen's Fortress

(We can talk about any point if you feel like something's off, of course)
all my souls sigstuff seems to have gone through now so I guess I can finally accept this one!

bleeding but hole ahead

I want a quick thing, and I have a slot left over, so this is perfect.

Style: Set.
DQ: Two weeks.
Banned/Restricted Moves: Direct recovery limited to 1 per battler, Pain Split, any moves that instantly faint a battler, Attract, Confusion.
Arena Description: The Holoplain

The arena, at first glance, looks like any old grassy plain. However, from the second round on, each Trainer may aesthetically change the arena in whatever way they wish. One round it can be the brim of a hat, the next a casino, and the following a corn flake, but they are all mechanically the same arena. Anything that an attack may need (water, rocks, etc.) will materialize from seemingly nowhere and go back whence it came once the attack is executed.

There is a pattern for the arena-swapping: Trainer who accepts the challenge, then yours truly, then the challenge-accepter, etc.

Additional Rules: Each Trainer will PM their ref their opponent's first Pokemon.

I want a quick thing, and I have a slot left over, so this is perfect.

Style: Set.
DQ: Two weeks.
Banned/Restricted Moves: Direct recovery limited to 1 per battler, Pain Split, any moves that instantly faint a battler, Attract, Confusion.
Arena Description: The Holoplain

The arena, at first glance, looks like any old grassy plain. However, from the second round on, each Trainer may aesthetically change the arena in whatever way they wish. One round it can be the brim of a hat, the next a casino, and the following a corn flake, but they are all mechanically the same arena. Anything that an attack may need (water, rocks, etc.) will materialize from seemingly nowhere and go back whence it came once the attack is executed.

There is a pattern for the arena-swapping: Trainer who accepts the challenge, then yours truly, then the challenge-accepter, etc.

Additional Rules: Each Trainer will PM their ref their opponent's first Pokemon.

I believe I have a spare slot. This looks like a bunch of fun.

Back
Top Bottom