• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

So This Is About To Get Awkward...

Why would HP need to be NERFED? It's already not that usable.

Chalumeau's mostly got the right of it, but note that even if you've never Mystery Gifted, the Viridian Trainer House has Cal with a level 50 of each starter. So there's SOMETHING other than the E4 to battle. I mostly just trained on Red, though, since my quagsire was easily sufficient to beat pikachu.

That's exactly what you do in Johto. You get all the badges, you defeat Team Rocket, you can catch Lugia/Ho-Oh and even the dogs if you so desire.

I think what she's trying to point out, in saying Kanto=/=East Unova postgame, was there are still badges to get in Johto's postgame. Your character's journey isn't done. In east Unova you have all the badges there are to possibly get, exactly that "you don't have anything else to prove" argument you were trying to make. That doesn't work for Johto because you're right next door to more badges. The champ of Kanto is gonna go "Oh yeah? You're no thang. I got that stuff too in my country" and that's why you gotta go over there and show em who's boss! Except in the original gen II games the levels were so low and it was so easy and just felt like bleughadsdfghj. There probably were technical reasons, but that just explains, rather than excuses it.

Also, all those Pokemon you listed earlier (Wurmple < old cocoons, manectric < jolteon, etc)... I like them better than their Kanto "equivalents" :p I suppose it's a matter of preference there!

I won't go into it more, I like gen II a lot but I think if you had a gun to my head and I had to pick a favorite, I'd choose gen III.

Last edited:
To be honest, I really liked Gen. II as much as i liked Gen. III (maybe even more). Despite being short and a bit on the easy side, it was a lot of fun and the music was great. Some of my favorite Pokemon like Quagsire were introduced in that region.
Then Gen. III. It was awesome. Just about everything in the game (only talking about Ruby and Sapphire; I haven't played Emerald) was perfect. It introduced abilities, my favorite Pokemon (Zangoose) and more positive qualities than the later generations, especially when compared to Gen. IV. I grew up with these two games (Either Crystal or Ruby was my first Pokemon game) and got attached to them.
I actually like all the regions, but Gen IV is probably my least favorite. (Big surprise there.)

Firstly, there were many Pokémon which were just rehashes of older Pokémon. Wurmple line was yet another cocoon, Manectric was a worse Jolteon, Aggron a worse Rhydon, Swalot a worse Muk, and so on. I have lots of Pokémon I like, but very few of them are from Gen III. Pretty much the only good things to come out of Gen III were the starters and Metagross.
okay y'know what I never understand when people bring this up. Yes, pokemon rehashes the same pokemon over and over again. This is not something endemic to gen III! Starly and Pidove are obviously rehashed Pidgeys, Sentret is a cuddlier Rattata, there are currently four lines of pokemon based on domestic cats (Meowth, Skitty, Glameow, Purrloin), there's a new bunch of fish every generation. Because it makes sense for there to be regional varieties of the same sorts of animals. They do this every generation. There are certain roles that game freak makes pokemon to fill (bulky water-type, fast-evolving bug-type, fast spatk electric-type, etc.) because they work and they make the games familiar while still being new.

Every time someone brings up G2's supposed superiority, it just makes me wanna mention I beat the e4 and most of Kanto in Silver with three Pokemon - an Ampharos, a Meganium, and an Eevee. I beat the champion with a level 40 Eevee. Not even one of its evolutions. Just Eevee. G2 was pitifully underleveled, even in Kanto, and was pretty boring overall, making it my least favourite generation (my favourites are G5 > G4 > G3 > G1 > G2)

G3 has the most memories to me, I think - I had fallen out of Pokemon after playing Silver through, and getting Sapphire as a gift really rekindled my love for the series. It was also the only Pokemon game I played through blind, not knowing the plot or Pokemon beforehand. It also marks the start of me and HighMoon getting the counterpart games, which has become a bonding thing for us (we preordered, bought, and started B/W at the same time)

G1+2 are my least favourites and I played from literally the very beginning of the series fancy that.

I am a 151-ist, as someone said earlier. I like II a lot as well, but that's as far as I'd go.

I just felt more familiar with the first generation, I mean I started playing just after I turned seven. Then I played Gold/Silver, but then after that I stopped playing because I got into other games. By the time I looked back at Pokémon they were at the remakes and IV. I was SO far behind that it was impossible to associate with the newer gens. All the changes to the games literally make my head spin and I miss the simplicity of R/B/Y. Back in the day it was just fun, but now it's more competitive, especially now that wireless is so much more common.

Back in my day you used a game cable.

It's a personal preference to be a Gen I and II fan only, at least for me.

I'm with pretty much everyone here - Gen III was my favourite, and while I can't separate the nostalgia (I was so excited I bought it before I had a GBA, so I sat around admiring the cartridge for a few days) from what was objectively good, but the secret bases and Pokemon Contests have been unmatched in later series. It has the best world design, I think, and the music and Pokemon introduced were great. I didn't enjoy diving that much, and agree that the Teams were a bit weak, but it's still my favourite.

And IV is my least favourite - Platinum fixed a lot of what was wrong with D/P, like the shockingly limited types of Pokemon available in-game and the total lack of general world-cohesiveness, but it still ranks last.

I loved B/W and am very much looking forward to BW2. Everyone I live with is getting one version or another the day they come out, and we're going to sit together and play Pokemon non-stop for days :D

my boyfriend and i discussed gen 3 yesterday, the way i put it the world and the Pokémon distributions are awesome. The evil teams are awful (though I must say I do like the sheer numbers of them you fight, especially in Emerald) but imo that's not something that makes a gen good or bad. it just *is*. no but gen 3 had some of my favorite innovations to ever hit a Pokémon game: the world was incredibly varied and had so many interesting places to explore; the secret bases and Contests were of course wonderful; diving made the water routes like twice as big; there was a metric fuckton of unnecessary places to explore (the area left of the trick house, the inside of mt pyre, ALL THE WATER ROUTES EVER, jagged pass, most of meteor falls, rusturf tunnel beyond the plot stuff, a large portion of the jungle routes around fortree, those routes south of mt pyre, dewford cave beyond the plot, etc etc) that I don't feel like any other gen has matched. The only reason I don't play Emerald more often than I do is because I miss the physical/special split and also I want to use a Masquerain :(

I've played all the generations since I began with Yellow, and although nostalgia definitely clouds my judgment, I have to say that I love Gen III the most. Secret bases, Pokemon contests, the Pokemon themselves... I love it all. If I were to honestly compare all the 5 generations, I'd probably put them in this order:

3 > 1 > 2 > 5 > 4

I'd have to go with 3 > 2 > 5 > 1 > 4. I really REALLY hate GSC's level pacing but the Pokémon distribution and the world are really excellent imo and are a big part of the reason why I continue to play Johto games despite despising the poor pacing. I'm not a big fan of Unova (though that's probably because I haven't replayed it fifty times like the other gens, I do admit that the world is pretty cool and the Pokémon are okay) simply because I lack nostalgia with it, but I find first gen rather underwhelming because the Pokémon distribution, level pacing and world are rather subpar due it being the first set of games (and the remakes didn't help, of course, being remakes), so Unova just ranks higher. The world of Sinnoh isn't actually all that bad in my eyes, but it's hard to get into those games because everything is so slow to develop. The Pokémon distribution (especially in Platinum) is actually really good and offers a ton of diverse options, especially early on, but overall I feel the game is hampered because it is extremely slow-paced and just feels like a low point between Hoenn's diverse and detailed world and wonderful music and Unova's technological superiority.

So it did. What's your point? Does that automatically discredit the entire region?

No, but it's one of the many reasons why I don't like Gen III...

Hoenn feels so much unlike a Pokémon game, it's been a while since I last played a Hoenn game (I'll be doing it again soon), but I think it's the most detached out of the regions. Even Unova, which is supposed to be far away from all the other regions, mentions Johto and Sinnoh every once in a while.

BTW, with the Regis being catchable in B2W2, I think a Hoenn remake is unlikely. That still leaves Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza, but you can catch them in HGSS and transfer them over. If it does come out, it'll probably be for the 3DS and won't concern me at all since I only play on emulators nowadays.

I still maintain Gen IV was the best. Not necessarily because of the games, but because GF gave almost all Pokémon very nice moves and abilities, fixing the inconsistencies even further with Gen V. Since it was the first time Pokémon would be officially playable online (not counting simulators), they did a complete overhaul of the move spread, created new and important items (for the first time, items not named Leftovers and Choice Band would be relevant), gave new and cool evolutions to Pokémon that really needed them (heck, if Lickilicky is NU already, imagine how bad would Lickitung be in Gen V!), the TMs were the best (building upon Gen III's nice base)... DP weren't the best games in the series, but Platinum was a huge leap forward and HGSS even more so. The only thing I really hate about Gen IV is Stealth Rock. As a entry hazard, it's way too powerful and unbalanced.

However, I didn't expect there were so many Gen III fans here... That's probably because when it came out, you were all the same age I was when Gen II came out, and Gen II had the biggest impact in my life. I really devoted myself to Pokémon during Gen II.

However, I didn't expect there were so many Gen III fans here... That's probably because when it came out, you were all the same age I was when Gen II came out, and Gen II had the biggest impact in my life. I really devoted myself to Pokémon during Gen II.

(emphasis mine)

this seems a little bit rude to me, idk. 'oooh you're just YOUNG and that's why you like this thing you silly youngsters!!' sort of vibe. probably not what you were going for but jsyk.

also fyi; i'm barely any younger than you and gen 3 was one of my favourites - pretty music, lush scenery, my second-favourite rival after N (Wally).

it has nothing to do with people being younger than you - i was into pokemon when g2 came out and its my least favourite because it's boring as hell - it's all up to tastes. i like stuff that i can make vibrant, exciting fanwork for and g2 didn't provide very well with that.

so thats a thing

Gen III introduced Luvdisc. Even Farfetch'd owns Luvdisc. A Pokémon whose sole purpose is being item fodder.
Gen II introduced Unown, who learns one move and serve more as scenery for the games rather than being actual useful pokemon? Picking one pokemon and going 'see? see? these games are bad because of this one pokemon' is kind of ridiculous, especially since gen 3 introduced a bunch of really cool pokemon at the same time, just like all the other games do.

I don't get why you're ragging so much on gen 3 - we get you don't like it, cool beans for you. GSC were really the first games I played and enjoyed (I was pretty young for RBY) and I really liked them, but when RSE came out I enjoyed them 10x more.
That's probably because when it came out, you were all the same age I was when Gen II came out, and Gen II had the biggest impact in my life. I really devoted myself to Pokémon during Gen II.
or we could like it because we genuinely enjoy it! I hear this so often from people who don't like gen 3 - "oh, kanto/johto was so good because it's the first game I played and you were probably too young to appreciate it" or something. I liked Johto too, and I remember freaking the fuck out when I accidentally found suicine because I'd forgotten about the roaming pokemon and it was really really exciting. I had a female Feraligatr called Fang and she was level 80 and killed everything. I have lots of nostalgia for GSC! But I still like Hoenn more.

also for those interested: 3>5>2>1>4. can't stand sinnoh.

Gen II introduced Unown, who learns one move and serve more as scenery for the games rather than being actual useful pokemon? Picking one pokemon and going 'see? see? these games are bad because of this one pokemon' is kind of ridiculous, especially since gen 3 introduced a bunch of really cool pokemon at the same time, just like all the other games do.

I don't get why you're ragging so much on gen 3 - we get you don't like it, cool beans for you. GSC were really the first games I played and enjoyed (I was pretty young for RBY) and I really liked them, but when RSE came out I enjoyed them 10x more.

I've already stated my reasons a few pages ago. Worst Elite Four, worst gym leaders, worst storyline, worst overworld (maybe more complex but it doesn't make it better), generally bad Pokémon, and other stuff I brought up in my post.

One interesting fact about Gen III is that it introduced a lot of Pokémon with great Attack and Special Attack, paper-thin defenses and crap Speed. Camerupt, Cacturne, Seviper, Sharpedo (the fastest of them), from the top of my head. The bad thing for them is that Choice Scarf was only introduced in Gen IV.

And, of course, there's the fact the Gen I remakes weren't nearly as good as the Gen II remakes in Gen IV. Johto Pokémon were treated like bastard children, being given only the Sevii Islands. The music in FRLG was badly remixed IMO. World Tournament in B2W2 has a much cooler Kanto gym leader track.

Finally, since you predictably brought up Unown... At least Unown is relevant to the storyline. They even made a movie about Unown. Luvdisc...? Heck, Luvdisc is even more pointless in Gens IV and V with the NPCs that give you Heart Scales when you show them certain Pokémon and moves.

or we could like it because we genuinely enjoy it! I hear this so often from people who don't like gen 3 - "oh, kanto/johto was so good because it's the first game I played and you were probably too young to appreciate it" or something. I liked Johto too, and I remember freaking the fuck out when I accidentally found suicine because I'd forgotten about the roaming pokemon and it was really really exciting. I had a female Feraligatr called Fang and she was level 80 and killed everything. I have lots of nostalgia for GSC! But I still like Hoenn more.

also for those interested: 3>5>2>1>4. can't stand sinnoh.

Not really. I started with Blue and I now think it's crap. I can't stand the game mechanics. The game has become better and better with each generation. Incidentally, I think the shortest leap forward was with Gen III (although arguably Gen V is a strong contender since it barely innovated in anything). Gen III introduced many new Pokémon and focused on them almost exclusively. Gen IV was more democratic with all the other gens. In Gen IV, Pokémon from Gens I to III gained new evolutions. It was something that made me admire GF, because they hadn't forgotten the old ones. Gen III didn't even have backwards compatibility, and my favourite Pokémon was only available in Emerald, and only after the Elite Four! Don't know if you could get Houndour in the Gamecube games, but to me it didn't matter since I wasn't interested in owning a Gamecube after Nintendo's failure to keep up with the console market.

I was 13 when I started playing Gen II. You were probably 13 when you started playing Gen III. This is a remarkable age for many people, which influences our judgment. Gen II has a lot of flaws (Chalumeau went through them in detail, although I don't agree with em about the game not aging well), but to me it's dearest because it's what I was playing in my pre-teens and teen years, when I was old enough to have a better understanding of the game, yet young enough to be overwhelmed by it.

For me, 4 > 5 > 2 > 1 > 3.

Last edited:
I was 13 when I started playing Gen II. You were probably 13 when you started playing Gen III. This is a remarkable age for many people, which influences our judgment. Gen II has a lot of flaws (Chalumeau went through them in detail, although I don't agree with em about the game not aging well), but to me it's dearest because it's what I was playing in my pre-teens and teen years, when I was old enough to have a better understanding of the game, yet young enough to be overwhelmed by it.

you totally ignored everything I said didn't you

let me say it again then

how old someone was when something they like came out is almost always entirely irrelevant, unless they're totally stuck in the past. Stop bringing it up for a reason someone likes g3. it seems to be why you're so enamoured with g2 but that doesn't mean someone likes it because they were a kid when it happened.

i mean i was 11 or 13 or whatever when D&D 3rd edition, the first Harry Potter books, and the Gamecube came out, for example, and that doesn't mean i like them better than 4e, the last ones, and the Wii.

really i mean it you can like something for other reasons stop saying its because ~you were young then~ just because that holds true for you.

EDIT because I missed it:

Hoenn feels so much unlike a Pokémon game, it's been a while since I last played a Hoenn game (I'll be doing it again soon), but I think it's the most detached out of the regions. Even Unova, which is supposed to be far away from all the other regions, mentions Johto and Sinnoh every once in a while.

your player character freaking moved from Johto what are you talking about

hey

hey cerberus

I was old enough to remember gen II's launch, too.

I was also 12-13 when it came out, or close enough to that age, anyway.

I still think it's the weakest generation in the series.

Hell I thought that when I first got it. I thought from the moment I bought it I wasn't enjoying it as much as I had my old Blue version.

Stop acting like people younger than you are unable to make objective decisions about game quality. It's making you look like a dingus.

For me, 5>3=4>1>2

Last edited:
I remember all the launches.

I got all the games, at least the older ones, pretty much right after they were released. I got my Blue Version when I was 8 (1998). I got my Gold and Silver versions when I was 10-11 (depends on date) (2001).

Now I'm not a gen III fan, but that's because I'm a nostalgic idiot, not based off stats. But you don't see me lording over people saying they're too young to understand. I was just more into the Color generation.

Unown were just for fun, they were never meant to be taken serious... unless you wanted to cheat of course. Every generation has it's.... special... pokemon.

For me.... 1>2>3>4>5

I really hate the last gen. Sorry. I still haven't even played Black and White.

Hey not arguing with ya or anything (to each their own and so on), just a bit confused - how can you 'hate' g5 without having played it? that seems a bit... intense maybe? I mean i could understand 'dislike', or 'not interested in', or something but.

i dunno hate seems a bit strong for one you haven't played at all?

Back
Top Bottom