• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Jack_the_Pumpkinking vs. Kratos Aurion (ref: Squornshellous Beta)

I am currently a little too pissed off at the rather unfortunate combination of this + about twenty other unrelated annoying things all hitting at the same time to strategize,

I didn't forget to attack, actually. The primary reason I posted then (and I apologize again for being snappish) was to point out the error.

Torment, flame wheel, facade; chill if she protects on action one or three, and protect against a draining move that targets energy on action one or three.

Torment/Chill/Protect ~ Flame Wheel ~ Facade/Chill/Protect

ugh.

Reflect ~ Charm ~ Chill

Since our 1 heal is used up and Norway still has hers available, barring about two or three more HP-healing RNGs, we probably can't win at all, Gohma, but that doesn't mean we can't try. And either way, this will get you that last EXP to evolve into Ivysaur. Good luck not dying!

(flippancy is just the rejection of hopelessness)

1vs1 single
Style: Set
DQ: Standard week
Damage cap: 60%
Banned moves: OHKO's; each Pokemon limited to one direct-healing move
Arena: Witches' Province

A magical corner of the world, inhabited primarily by witches and warlocks. The arena itself is in the center of a typical forest, with your standard-issue witch's cottage just on the arena's outskirts. Puffs of multicolored smoke have a habit of escaping the cottage's chimney, and can cause hallucinogenic effects on Pokemon that inhale them (which will be primarily or solely Flyers, since the smoke isn't heavier than air). This causes them to be moderately Confused but have random stat boosts to any combination of Attack, Defense, Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, Speed, and Accuracy which are cumulatively equal to +6.

The arena itself, being so infused by magic, has some odd effects on Pokemon battling within it. At the end of each round, one of the following effects will occur:
18% chance that one Pokemon will receive a +2 boost to one stat (either Attack, Defense, Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, Speed, and Accuracy) (3% each stat)
18% chance that one Pokemon will receive a -2 penalty to one stat (3% each stat)
12% chance that both Pokemon will receive a +1 boost to one stat (2% each stat)
12% chance that both Pokemon will receive a -1 penalty to one stat (2% each stat)
5% chance that one Pokemon will be given the effects of Magic Coat
5% chance that one Pokemon will receive Magic Guard in addition to its normal ability (this lasts for one round)
5% chance that Magic Room will go into effect (this is a Trick Room-like Gen V effect that removes all effects of items)
5% chance that one Pokemon will receive Magic Mirror in addition to its normal ability (all stat-lowering moves are reflected back to the user) (this lasts for one round)
5% chance that both Pokemon will recover 40% Health
5% chance that both Pokemon will recover 40% Energy
10% chance that nothing will happen

Team Jack_the_Pumpkinking
1imko5.jpg

Bulbasaur
Queen Gohma (Female)
Ability: Overgrow
Health: 56%
Energy: 46%
Status: Foul. Tongue burned, cannot talk well; Giga Drain forgotten; special defense +3, defense -1, accuracy +2.
Attacks Used: Reflect ~ Charm ~ Chill
Healings: 1/1

Team Kratos Aurion
1imko5.jpg

Rattata-f
Norway (Female)
Ability: Insomnia
Health: 75%
Energy: 61%
Status: Disgusting. Attack -2, speed +1, special defense +1, Focus Energy in effect, Seeded, badly poisoned (2% this round, 3% next)
Attacks Used: Torment / Chill / Protect ~ Flame Wheel ~ Facade / Chill / Protect
Healings: 0/1
Item: Lucky Egg

Round 13 Begin!

Shuddering from the foul taste in her mouth, Norway glares at her lizardlike opponent and then begins shouting insults, her voice tinged with a malicious energy. "Hey Gooooooh-ma! You're pathetic, you know that? You rely on just those same moves, over and over again - when are you going to show some variety, you plant-frog-thing?" The words - or possibly the dark energy behind them - take hold, and Gohma tries to run several equally decisive directions simeltaneously; absolutely nothing is seen by those watching, but she does make the decision to not, at least, use a move twice in a row - may as well show some variety. Seconds later, she makes yet another decisive action - she concentrates her energy, and a flickering, translucent white shield winks into existence around her. She grins, secure inside her bubble.

Having sufficiently prepared herself for her next move, Norway begins cloaking herself in fire, and when sufficiently confident that she won't get burned, she charges towards Gohma; at the last second, she rolls over into a cartwheel, becoming a veritable wheel of fire rolling towards Gohma. She collides with the shield and stops dead, spinning frantically for a few seconds before melting through, striking Gohma with much less force than she otherwise would have but still delivering a searing blow. She wheels around and returns to her own area of the field, and when the flames die away and she uncurls, there seems to be something missing; a few seconds of puzzlement and she realizes that the vines that she had grown so used to seem to have venished - as have the dark thoughts from her mind. She relaxes, and looks at her opponent...

Who seems to be pouting at her? Yes, definitely pouting. She looks again , and there can be no doubt - her opponent is staring at her, looking almost at the point of crying; an illusion on Gohma's part, but a convincing one, made all the better by a tiny bit of energy being used to help the suggestion along. As Norway stares at her, she begins to think that maybe she shouldn't attack so hard after all... yeah, that's a plan. Where's the harm?

Regardless, though, she still has to at least look like she's attacking. She charges at Gohma and hits the shield; she barges through and lightly headbutts her in the side, before running back to her own end of the field. Gohma herself yawns widely and settles down inside her bubble, taking a short nap.

As she's snoozing, a voice echoes around the arena. It is a perfectly ordinary voice, and it says "two to the power of three hundred and six against."

Norway looks wildly around for the source, but no source can be found; she does, however, feel the effects of Gohma's Charm wearing off, to her relief.

Round 13 End!

1imko5.jpg

Bulbasaur
Queen Gohma (Female)
Health: 44%
Energy: 48%
Status: ZzzzzzZZZZzz. Tongue burned, cannot talk well; Giga Drain forgotten; special defense +3, defense -1, accuracy +2, Reflect active (three more actions).
Attacks Used: Reflect ~ Charm ~ Chill

Team Kratos Aurion
1imko5.jpg

Rattata-f
Norway (Female)
Ability: Guts
Health: 71%
Energy: 47%
Status: What was that? Two to the what? Attack -2, speed +1, special defense +1, Focus Energy in effect, badly poisoned (3% this round, 4% next)
Attacks Used: Torment ~ Flame Wheel ~ Facade

Damage / Energy Calculations
Torment - 4% energy (accuracy roll 1, needed 100 to miss)
Reflect - 3% energy, 1% per action
Flame Wheel - 3% damage, 3% energy (accuracy roll 99, needed 100 to miss)
Charm - 3% energy
Facade - 10% damage, 7% energy (accuracy roll 54, needed 100 to miss)
Chill - restored 10% energy (Gohma)

Notes
- Ah, sorry Kratos. I missed that bit. And snappishness forgiven.
- Hahaha my first 1 on an accuracy roll ever! :D
- I wonder how many Guide references I can slip in before the end of the battle?

Arena Notes
- This round, Norway gained 2 attack.
- There is a tree with a Squornshellous-Beta-shaped hole in the side growing just outside the limits of the battlefield.
- Many of the trees at the outskirts of the field have various marks carved into them by Norway's teeth.

Next Round
- Pumpkinhead Attacks
- Kratos Aurion Attacks
- I ref

Last edited:
Gonna die anyway, might as well show off some of those nice Unovan moves~

Toxic and Venoshock, then finish off with a Grass Pledge. If Norway's commands involve blocking either of the first two moves (Substitute, Safeguard, Protect, etc.), Curse on the action during which she blocks, and hit her with Rock Smash on the other action.

Toxic/Curse/Rock Smash ~ Venoshock/Curse/Rock Smash ~ Grass Pledge

But shouldn't Norway already be toxic'd? You edited that into the last round here, but it looks like you didn't edit it into your actual document and so forgot to account for it again.

EDIT: And surely you mean reflect is going to last for three more actions, right?

Last edited:
Augh. Changing it now, then.

Start off with Venoshock, follow it up with Grass Pledge, then finish off with a Round. If Norway's commands involve blocking Venoshock (not including Substitute), Curse instead. If she throws up a Substitute, Rock Smash it on the first action it goes up, then finish off the rest of your commands as usual.

Venoshock/Curse/Rock Smash ~ Grass Pledge/Rock Smash ~ Round/Rock Smash

A few more things. If the worry seed is gone, shouldn't Norway have guts back? And since she was poisoned/had guts, shouldn't facade have done a bit more than 3% damage? I realize that having -4 attack (at the time) and hitting through reflect would nerf it by a lot, but I'm getting ~7% damage if facade's doubling and guts are accounted for.

Sorry I didn't notice that the first time around. :/ (And I don't mind if that changes things enough (if it does change anything, I dunno, I'm tired and maybe I missed something) that Jack wants to order again. Sorry Jack!)

I'll keep these commands:

Augh. Changing it now, then.

Start off with Venoshock, follow it up with Grass Pledge, then finish off with a Round. If Norway's commands involve blocking Venoshock (not including Substitute), Curse instead. If she throws up a Substitute, Rock Smash it on the first action it goes up, then finish off the rest of your commands as usual.

Venoshock/Curse/Rock Smash ~ Grass Pledge/Rock Smash ~ Round/Rock Smash

Super fang again because it bypasses reflect, then facade twice, and weep bitterly if you miss or there's another heal.

Super Fang ~ Facade ~ Facade

1vs1 single
Style: Set
DQ: Standard week
Damage cap: 60%
Banned moves: OHKO's; each Pokemon limited to one direct-healing move
Arena: Witches' Province

A magical corner of the world, inhabited primarily by witches and warlocks. The arena itself is in the center of a typical forest, with your standard-issue witch's cottage just on the arena's outskirts. Puffs of multicolored smoke have a habit of escaping the cottage's chimney, and can cause hallucinogenic effects on Pokemon that inhale them (which will be primarily or solely Flyers, since the smoke isn't heavier than air). This causes them to be moderately Confused but have random stat boosts to any combination of Attack, Defense, Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, Speed, and Accuracy which are cumulatively equal to +6.

The arena itself, being so infused by magic, has some odd effects on Pokemon battling within it. At the end of each round, one of the following effects will occur:
18% chance that one Pokemon will receive a +2 boost to one stat (either Attack, Defense, Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, Speed, and Accuracy) (3% each stat)
18% chance that one Pokemon will receive a -2 penalty to one stat (3% each stat)
12% chance that both Pokemon will receive a +1 boost to one stat (2% each stat)
12% chance that both Pokemon will receive a -1 penalty to one stat (2% each stat)
5% chance that one Pokemon will be given the effects of Magic Coat
5% chance that one Pokemon will receive Magic Guard in addition to its normal ability (this lasts for one round)
5% chance that Magic Room will go into effect (this is a Trick Room-like Gen V effect that removes all effects of items)
5% chance that one Pokemon will receive Magic Mirror in addition to its normal ability (all stat-lowering moves are reflected back to the user) (this lasts for one round)
5% chance that both Pokemon will recover 40% Health
5% chance that both Pokemon will recover 40% Energy
10% chance that nothing will happen
1imko5.jpg

Bulbasaur
Queen Gohma (Female)
Health: 44%
Energy: 48%
Status: ZzzzzzZZZZzz. Tongue burned, cannot talk well; Giga Drain forgotten; special defense +3, defense -1, accuracy +2, Reflect active (three more actions).
Commands: Venoshock / Curse / Rock Smash ~ Grass Pledge / Rock Smash ~ Round / Rock Smash

Team Kratos Aurion
1imko5.jpg

Rattata-f
Norway (Female)
Health: 71%
Energy: 47%
Status: What was that? Two to the what? Attack -2, speed +1, special defense +1, Focus Energy in effect, badly poisoned (3% this round, 4% next)
Commands: Super Fang ~ Facade ~ Facade

Round 13 Begin!

As the round begins, Gohma rouses herself from her slumber, looking blearily at her opponent through her Reflect shield. That same opponent suddenly leaps towards her, punching clean through the bubble and opening her mouth wide; her teeth are glowing brightly, and she clamps down on Gohma. A small explosion rings out as the energy transfers itself to Gohma in an instant; Norway leaps back, leaving Gohma cringing. Glaring, Gohma gathers poisons from her body and concentrates them into her mouth, though in a different concentration than earlier; she vomits the substance at Norway, whom it hits, quickly soaking through her skin and reacting violently with the Toxic poison already there.

Norway retches violently and then looks back up at Gohma, glaring at her with vision blurred by tears. She begins another move, charging wildly at her opponent and smashing into the shield; punching her way through, she bites down on Gohma's leg, then turns tail and flees out of the bubble. Knowing that she is approaching the end of the battle, Gohma puts her all into the next attack: her eyes glow bright green and a column of plants rears up out of the ground, throwing itself down onto Norway. Norway squeals and struggles, but can do nothing to free herself until the plants suddenly melt away, disintegrating rapidly as the energy put into their creation fades away.

Norway knows that this attack will likely finish off her opponent, so she puts her all into it: once more, she charges at Gohma, punching through the shield and tackling her in the side. As she darts back, Gohma collapses. The shield fades away.

The trainers recall their Pokémon, and paychecks and congratulations are handed out. The battlers look around them in apprehension, though, as they slowly realize they don't know the way out...

Round 13 End!

1imko5.jpg

Bulbasaur
Queen Gohma (Female)
Health: 0%
Energy: 31%
Attacks Used: Venoshock ~ Grass Pledge

Team Kratos Aurion
xpqo.jpg

Rattata-f
Norway (Female)
Health: 51%
Energy: 23%
Status: I win! Attack -2, speed +1, special defense +1, Focus Energy in effect, badly poisoned (4% this round, 5% next)
Attacks Used: Super Fang ~ Facade ~ Facade

Damage / Energy Calculations
Super Fang - 22% damage, 16% energy (accuracy roll 47, needed 100 to miss)
Venoshock - 13% damage, 10% energy (accuracy roll 27, needed 100 to miss)
Facade - 11% damage, 7% energy (accuracy roll 86, needed 100 to miss)
Grass Pledge - 3% damage, 4% energy (accuracy roll 56, needed 100 to miss)
Facade - 11% damage, 7% energy (accuracy roll 3, needed 100 to miss)

Notes
- Both Facades were critical hits. That is astoundingly improbable, and just enough to KO Gohma. What is the secret to your amazing luck.

Arena Notes
- There is a tree with a Squornshellous-Beta-shaped hole in the side growing just outside the limits of the battlefield.
- Many of the trees at the outskirts of the field have various marks carved into them by Norway's teeth.

Prizes
Hmm. Kratos Aurion gets $8, I get $5, and Pumpkinhead gets $3. Norway gets 2 EXP, and Gohma gets 1 EXP.

Last edited:
Great battle, Kratos, even though the arena effects didn't seem to be to your liking. And thanks for reffing Squorn!

(I'm utterly shocked that the HP/Energy increase happened multiple times - three, IIRC? - when, looking back at the arena description, there was only a 10% chance of it!)

Now it's time to evolve Gohma and get her a shiny new signature move and attribute...

Ah, no, the effects were cool—wouldn't have accepted if I didn't think they were interesting. There was just... really irritating timing. Great game, I'd like to apologize one more time for being short, and thanks a lot for the quick reffings, Squorn. (Gah, I really need to finish some stuff up so I can get back to work myself.)

Back
Top Bottom