• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Favorite Video Game Soundtrack?

Vipera Magnifica

Aquatic Artiste
Pronoun
he/him
Which video game has your favorite soundtrack?

I'll always be partial to Pokémon, but my favorite soundtracks have to be from the Mother/Earthbound series (especially Mother 3). The music from the Ace Attorney games is also quite fantastic. And, of course, I absolutely love the music from every Zelda game, especially Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

Radiant Historia on the DS has to be up there. It's just incredible how much they can reuse music and still have it work greatly in the game's favor. Xenoblade Chronicles is another excellent group. I'll always vouch for classics like Final Fantasy 9 and Chrono Cross, too.

Fire Emblem: Awakening. By far the best music I've heard come out of a 3DS. Although Pokemon Platinum and Pokemon White are close seconds.

For Consoles, Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess were some of my favorites. Although the 3 Xenoblade tracks in Smash 4 make me want to play Xenoblade, so I suppose that also has a superb sound track. I'll let you know for certain when I actually play the game.

Smash Bros. deserves a mention for being a conglomerate of several video game OSTs.

The music from the Ace Attorney games is also quite fantastic.
Definitely seconding this!

Ghost Trick belongs reeeeally high on the best soundtracks list! It has a really unique style, catchy as hell songs and the fact that the music just goes really well with the visuals is just icing on the cake. God I need to replay it sometime, hnngh. *u*

From Pokemon soundtracks, Ruby/Sapphire are really close to my heart. All the trumpets!!
But yeah seriously it has some of my most favourite town and battle songs and other really nice tunes. Can't wait to hear all the revamped versions in OR/AS!

The soundtrack of the original Mafia - the one with the gangsters, not the forum game - is also one of my all-time favourites (everyone should play it, it's old but great and worth it). The orchestrated songs really add to the atmosphere and the actual old-timey songs are hella catchy for the most part and... it's just really good. Plus there's the additional nostalgia bonus in there. Well, for me, at least.
Here's the main theme for anyone interested! I have so many fond memories of the game and the music brings it all back <3

Don't make me choose.

Pokémon has always been great fun. I always flip-flop on which gen's music I like the most. I guess it depends on which one I've listened to the least recently, making it the one I'm lease sick of. I can't ever see myself disliking gen 5's music though. (<3 everything about gen 5)

Zelda is often brought up in these threads but beyond the main theme and some other recurring tracks, there isn't that much I can think of that I like. "The Legendary Hero" from Wind Waker is one I love. I don't think it's Zelda music I like so much as it's Zelda-ey music. Music that makes me feel like Zelda games, if that makes sense.

*opens steam to look through the library*

Deus Ex (the original) doesn't have music good enough to listen to it by itself but as background music it's very good!

FTL is really good at that too. I remember I played it in a hotel once the day before my flight since I didn't have anything better to do and I couldn't get one of the tracks out of my head the entire flight. I worry that I started humming it when I was half asleep and annoyed the person sitting next to me.

I'm not mentioning individual songs because that's not enough to make it "good soundtrack" but since Papers Please only has two songs in the entire game, I think it's safe to say that liking the main one makes it a good soundtrack.

The World Ends With You has a fantastic soundtrack. I mean, I love anything with good vocal tracks, but TWEWY takes the cake.

Also, most Megaman soundtracks.

A lot of the already-mentioned stuff, like Pokémon and Zelda and Kirby and Xenoblade and SSB, but no soundtrack I've listened to is as consistently wonderful as Shovel Knight's.

Every single piece is absolutely fantastic, bar /maybe/ one on the 42-track soundtrack, even if they're all in 8-bit.

Mystery Dungeon (Explorers of Sky), Pokémon RSE, and Kirby (every single game in that series, but I'm especially partial to Epic Yarn and Amazing Mirror).

I'm not huge on game soundtracks, really, but the Zelda music is always great. Also, the Super Mario 64 soundtrack gets points for still getting stuck in my head despite not playing it for about a decade.

the entirety of Symphony of the Night is perfection, the soundtrack being in a league of its own when it comes to game music

Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Radiant History, Knights in the Nightmare and Final Fantasy Tactics (the original) all have to be my personal favorite game soundtracks out of everything i've heard and played.

Melty Blood's and FE: Path of Radiance's music are also pretty godlike

Final Fantasy IX! Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!! To be honest most of the FF games up to X, or maybe XII, have good sound tracks. I also really enjoyed the soundtrack to Bastion, FFVII and The Sims.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles! The Rebena Te Ra dungeon music has been my alarm ringtone for aaaages, but I finally changed it to the final boss battle music. Starts the day off with an epic flourish >:D

The first and Second Donkey Kong Country OST's are my go to, but I also love Sonic Heroes, Epic Yarn, Thousand Year Door, and Xenoblade.

Metal Gear Rising. Seriously, every boss theme is just perfect for the characters they play for and are insanely memorable on their own.

Okami also has a lovely soundtrack as does Asura's Wrath, I particularly love how the latter has so many boss themes that are incredibly somber and melancholy in tone despite being a game about revenge and rage.

Back
Top Bottom