• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Watchmen

D: Nuuu! Sorry.

To ramble on a bit more! I saw the movie again today. Post-comic impressions of it include:

- I miss the scene at the end where Ozymandias is meditating and talks to Jon. They crammed the dialogue from it into the preceding and succeeding scenes, sure, but I really liked how it came out in that scene; Ozymandias seemed more genuinely sad about what he had done and more confounded by Jon. In the movie, it doesn't get across as well, since the scene is generally busier.
- I also miss Ozymandias' "I did it!" He seems a lot more insane on a second viewing and I think it would make him more human again to keep that line.
- I love what the movie did to Daniel at the end, though. In the comic, his initial reaction to what Ozymandias did was "That's terrible! How can a human being make a decision like that? ...well, okay, fine. I won't talk." And then he just went on to have sex with Laurie by Adrian's pool while Rorschach got himself splatterified. The movie made him care, and if his "NOOOO" was a bit overboard, overall I think it was a good decision to have him witness Rorschach's death (so he could get to at least react to it, after all the time the story has spent developing their relationship), and letting him have his moment of standing up to Adrian made him a much better character in my opinion.
- Rorschach seems so much more disturbingly attractive under the mask the second time around, when it's not as much of a shock to see him unmasked.
- They really should have given a little bit of information about what the hell Bubastis is. Admittedly it doesn't make sense in the movie's plot that Ozymandias would be doing any genetics research, but she really needs some sort of an explanation. I know why she's in there to begin with - showing that Ozymandias is not only willing to sacrifice the lives of strangers and the other masked heroes but also that of somebody he holds very dear to himself personally - but the first time around I had a hard time even figuring out that Bubastis was her name.
- Jon got his point about miracles across so much better in the comic. ;_;
- I loved the little cameo at the end by the newspaper stand guy and the guy who was reading Tales of the Black Freighter. <3

Last edited:
Watchmen was the best movie I saw this year, by far. The way it the plot threads all intertwined and then came together by the end of the movie was amazing.

Read three chapters so far. I am somehow not as impressed as all the hype has made me feel I should be.

never mind

the villain pulls it off omv

I haven't seen it, but I've read that there's a rape scene in there that could have been shown a bit more tastefully. Is that true?

Rape scenes should not be tasteful.

I saw it and loved it, I think a bit more superheroing would have been nicer and maybe not everyone should have killed someone. And the soundtrack was pretty awesome too.

I intend to see it. I have no previous expectations, since I have diligently avoided looking at the spoilers for it, and have deliberately forgotten the spoilers I saw*. Needless to say, as long as it's better than Transformers, or most of the early scenes in 300, it should be okay. I'm not expecting another V.

*There's a trick to it. Explaining the mechanics behind it is rather like describing what toffee tastes like.

And the soundtrack was pretty awesome too.
The soundtrack was kinda random in a lot of places.

Anyways, I loved the movie. Rorschach and the Comedian were great, which kind of balanced out Silk Spectre's terrible acting.

Also I lol'ed when the Comedian yelled for a medic after being hit with that bottle. Too much TF2.

The soundtrack was kinda random in a lot of places.

haha when 99 Luftballons came on I was like "what".

but yeah, Dylan, Hendrix, Simon and Garfunkel? <3 eta: OH and Janis Joplin

Last edited:
I saw this film in Imax a few days after it came out; I left the theater utterly amazed. This movie, I felt, was splendidly pulled off. I had no prior dealings with any Watchmen media before. I felt that Zac was brilliant in his use of music, montage, motifs, and his interpretations and portrayal of the themes. Every character I felt attached to, but my favorites with Jon and Ozy. It promoted so much thinking in my mind, about the heavily contrasting philosophies of all the main characters and their place in the world they live in. What I felt were particularly strong was the opening with The Times They Are A-Changin' playing, Jon's segment, and the climax. Also, excellent first scene.

When I left, I went to the bookstore and read the comic immediately. It was a lovely indulgence; I laughed when the Owl Ship sex scene is given one panel in the comic when it's exaggerated so much in the movie.

Then I saw the movie again. This time, I caught so many small details that I would have never seen prior, and this showing was only in a normal theater. It's great to see something very small in the background and know instantly what it is.

Watchmen is an extremely cathartic experience.

Regardless, nearly everything Butterfree said regarding the adaption from the comic to the movie. The different interpretations of the ending, the characterization. No need in repetition.

Back
Top Bottom