• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

TV Tropes Mafia [SECRET EXPERIMENTAL ROLES]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butterfree

Still loves Joltik, though!
Staff member
Heartache staff
Pronoun
she/her
Hello and welcome to TV Tropes Mafia!

Let's start with a quick rundown of the basics of this game:

- Secret roles! However, every role is named after (and has its behavior based on) a particular trope. Usually these are classed as character tropes, but I can't guarantee it. Prior familiarity with TV Tropes is not necessary; all trope names discussed should be linked. (It wouldn't be TV Tropes without oodles of tempting links!)
- The roles do not necessarily have any counterpart among the standard roles defined in the mafia rules thread. Conversely, the roles from the mafia rules thread don't necessarily exist, or if they do exist in some form it may be in a slightly or heavily modified form to fit better with their counterpart trope. There is at least one mafia faction and there is an innocent faction, but nothing else is certain. Some roles may function in a very unconventional manner. Nothing is impossible.
- Your role PM will contain both a role trope (your "character") and a power trope (relating more directly to the role's night/day action or other special property). This is more for fun than anything else, as (at least in the current plan) all powers are unique to their roles and vice versa, but it may also mildly affect gameplay.
- Since we're playing with secret roles, you have no idea what roles exist in the game. Certain roles may be privy to a bit more prior information than others, however, as detailed in their role PMs. If you're confused about your role or want to know how your role would function in some hypothetical scenario, feel free to ask me at any time.
- Discussion of and links to relevant tropes are encouraged during the day discussion, Just For Fun. Feel free to try to distract your opponents with intriguing trope links in the hope they miss the deadline.

I'm hoping for quite a few players; not all the roles have been finalized and may depend on how many people sign up, but I will be very sad if I don't get to use my favorite ideas. More details on how this will be GMed will be posted when the game starts, but if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited:
All right, thirty seems like a nice even (completely ridiculous) number. Sorry if you wanted to join, but I think I'm going to have to close sign-ups now. The game will start sometime in the very near future.

EDIT: Some people are quite unhappy about not having gotten the chance to join and there are no other open games at the moment, so I'm going to reopen for the moment. Get your spot while you still can!

Last edited:
Oh, hell. Joining under the condition that I can ignore all of the tempting links until December. I got lost in about five other wikis just today and I really don't need that this quarter. >>;

Make that 46 :p

It's just what you get for advertising it in a news post.

Almost 40 roles so far?
This game is going to be insane. I'm so looking forward to it :)
Well, forty roles is just not going to happen. I'm doing my best to give at least half of the players some sort of an interesting role, but inevitably a bunch of people will have to be just vanilla innocents or mafia mooks.

Which is not to say those players will have nothing to do, because hopefully the general WTFery of this game will keep everyone busy trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

Man, I came here yesterday morning and nabbed #17, but when I came back this morning 31 other people joined. Hot damn.

I wonder if this is a Crowning Moment of Awesome?

I was planning a game with forty-five roles a while ago. The flavor wasn't going to be interesting to anyone here other than me, though, so I stopped. I am quite interested to see how an actual game this large will play out!

Good god look at all of the people who crawled out of the woodwork for this game.

Oookay, I think fifty people is just about the maximum one mafia game can hold. Closing now, for real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom