• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Viki vs. Adriane

1. Luftballon

Banned
Pronoun
it
For Adriane!

2vs2 single
Style: Set
DQ: 3 days
Damage Cap: 49%
Banned Moves: Earthquake, weather, OHKOs, direct recovery, Flash (and anything else very bright)
Arena: Cave of the Winds

It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Okay, you're not, but it certainly feels like you are: it's dark and nighttime and the wind blowing through the holes in the walls sounds mildly creepy. Less creepy than what sounds very much like someone swearing profusely deeper in the cave, but that would be silly: you haven't seen anyone go into this cave besides you for months! (Why were you staring at this cave for months? Don't you sleep?)

While this cave seems like it would be pretty well lit for a cave in the daytime -- all those holes wind's blowing through, don't you know -- it's currently the middle of the night. Sight is not your strong point right now. And while you theoretically could light a fire or use Flash, that would be rude. You don't want to be rude and accidentally an entire pack of griffons, do you? I THOUGHT NOT.

Other: Pokémon restrictions: only unevolved pokémon that can evolve that are found either inside caves or more commonly at night. So things like mienfoo or oddish or venonat or cleffa are acceptable.

I'll leave it to you two to figure out what pokémon would be allowed because I ... don't really want to go through the trouble of checking locations for sixteen pokémon.

--

Viki's active squad:

[Maxine] Cyndaquil (f) <Blaze>
[Snowe] Slowpoke (m) <Oblivious>
[Sierra] Zubat (f) <Inner Focus>
[Schtolteheim Reinbach III] Cleffa (m) <Magic Guard>
[Arshtat] Hoppip (f) <Chlorophyll>
[Jeane] Pichu (f) <Static>
[Chiepoo] Meowth (m) <Technician>
[Elenor Silverberg] Venonat (f) <Tinted Lens>
[Eugene] Taillow (m) <Guts> @ Prism Scale

--

Adriane's active squad:

[Tallgeese] Mudkip (f) <Torrent>
[Shenlong] Mienfoo (f) <Inner Focus>
[Altron] Vulpix (f) <Flash Fire> @ Fire Stone
[Heavy Arms] Minccino (f) <Technician> @ Shiny Stone
[Sandrock] Ralts (f) <Trace>
[Deathscythe] Oddish (f) <Chlorophyll>
[Wing] Zubat (f) <Inner Focus>

--

Adriane sends first; Viki sends and commands; Adriane commands.

[Chiepoo] Meowth (m) <Technician>

OKAY CHIEPOO HERE IS YOUR FIRST AND THEREFORE MOST SPECIAL CHANCE TO MAKE MONEY.

To start with, let's make sure she's Taunted! Vulpix doesn't actually learn magic coat, despite what the internets claim, so you're safe there. If she Protects against your Taunt, Nasty Plot; if she's already nice and pissed, take advantage of your islander heritage and Water Pulse. If for some bizarre reason she's not taunted and gets off a Protect on the third action, Pay Day; otherwise, Water Pulse.

Taunt / Nasty Plot ~ Taunt / Nasty Plot / Water Pulse ~ Taunt / Pay Day / Water Pulse

Altron, I hate to break it to you, but the Radish Emperor speaks truth. There will be no coatings of magic and I doubt we can avoid Taunt in its entirety so go ahead and get mad. Flame charge twice so you can outpace the cat with the funny forehead. Then let off some of that angry steam with an, idk, overheat.

Flame Charge ~ Flame Charge ~ Overheat

Viki: 1/2

[Chiepoo] meowth (m) <Technician>
Health 100%, Energy 100%.
Condition: I don't see any grues?
Commands: Taunt / Nasty Plot ~ Taunt / Nasty Plot / Water Pulse ~ Taunt / Pay Day / Water Pulse

Vixie: 1/2

[Altron] vulpix (f) <Flash Fire> @ Fire Stone
Health 100%, Energy 100%.
Condition: The lighting here needs some work.
Commands: Flame Charge ~ Flame Charge ~ Overheat

Round 1

Two trainers have agreed to meet in a dark cave. When they arrive, they are told that a small population of grues lives in the cave they have settled on, and recommended to battle elsewhere. But, of course, they are Asberians, so security regulations mean nothing to them. They don't see any grues, so they find a fairly empty space (although it's hard to tell if it's empty, since it's difficult to see) and wait for their referee.

The referee arrives almost unnoticed, until it begins to yell at the trainers to send out and give their commands; so Adriane sends out a vulpix, and Viki a meowth. Commands are given, and the referee motions for the round to begin. It then yells at the battlers to get moving already before realizing that nobody actually saw the motions.

The meowth is the faster of the two pokémon, and begins by insulting the vupix, disparaging the latter's inferior speed and the absolutely terrible inability to perform certain amusing acts -- and those ridiculous tails! The vulpix, enraged at the meowth's aspersions -- the tails! how dare a mere meowth insult the tails, the very thought of it -- is quite pleased to recall that her orders were, in essence, to ram into the meowth at top speed while cloaked in fire. And that meowth was broadcasting its position, too...

The meowth is knocked backward somewhat as the vulpix charges into him; he smiles (not that one could really tell the difference between a meowth's smile and a not-smile), considering that his job has been done, and begins to gather water from ... somewhere.

The vulpix, feeling nicely limbered up after charging, proceeds to turn a full circle to charge into the meowth again -- but suddenly, water and cacophonic noise? It is decidedly not a pleasant feeling, being splashed in the face, and the vulpix flinches momentarily, but (contrary to popular belief) momentum doesn't just magically disappear and the vulpix crashed into the meowth anyway. Inelastically.

The vulpix is quicker to get to her feet, and, standing over the meowth, releases a huge wave of fire and heat (quickly gathered by, rather inefficiently, burning ridiculous amounts of stored energy), at the meowth. The meowth blinks at the brightness, then once more gathers water from somewhere. As the vulpix recovers from using its attack, the meowth stands up and pushes the water, combined with ridiculous noises, at the vulpix, which, this time, simply shakes its head and growls.

Health 67%, Energy 89%.
Condition: My eyes!
Executed: Taunt ~ Water Pulse ~ Water Pulse

Health 73%, Energy 87%; -2 spa, +2 spe.
Condition: Excellent.
Executed: Flame Charge ~ Flame Charge ~ Overheat

Notes
  • used +20 per + to speed, so vulpix is now at 105, and thus faster than meowth.
  • nope, no confusion.

Adriane commands first for round 2.

Last edited:
Okay! An excellent start. Now, since water pulse is something of an annoyance, let's try disabling it. Then, if the coast is still clear, follow up with a will-o-wisp. Flare blitz for the finale. Should Chiepoo want to protect himself, you should instead psych up.

Disable/Psych Up ~ Will-o-Wisp/Psych Up ~ Flare Blitz/Psych Up

yesterday: 14:42 <Adriane> consider this a formally submitted complaint!

since I am a derp and didn't notice, viki +24h to DQ and then I will be saddened.

OKAY SO I still have no idea, have I ever mentioned that I often have no energy to brain, sorry for this taking ages but the weather has been SO BIZARRE for a while and I really have not actually had brainpower for ... anything ... orz

If you get hit with status at any point, façade, otherwise ...

Façade / Pay Day ~ Façade / Double-Edge ~ Façade / Double-Edge

OKAY SO I still have no idea, have I ever mentioned that I often have no energy to brain, sorry for this taking ages but the weather has been SO BIZARRE for a while and I really have not actually had brainpower for ... anything ... orz

If you get hit with status at any point, façade, otherwise ...

Façade / Pay Day ~ Façade / Double-Edge ~ Façade / Double-Edge

... okay so, I was going to actually finally DQ Viki now, but vb seems to be strangely and the post exists, it just isn't ... the most recent post? hrml. that is strange.

Health 67%, Energy 89%.
Condition: My eyes!
Commands: Facade / Pay Day ~ Facade / Double-Edge ~ Facade / Double-Edge

Health 73%, Energy 87%; -2 spa, +2 spe.
Condition: Excellent.
Commands: Disable / Psych Up ~ Will-o-Wisp / Psych Up ~ Flare Blitz / Psych Up

Round 2

It is only after some half a month that all commands have been, and even then it takes yet another some half a month for the referee to ... awaken, would that be the word? Perhaps not. Return to a semblance of consciousness might be a better way to describe it. In any case, the battlers are still in a dark cave which apparently hosts a small population of grues (although none have been seen so far, so).

But now the orders have been issued and the referee is ... alive, and the battling pokémon are getting somewhat impatient; so even before the referee calls for the round to begin, the vulpix begins invading the meowths mind, searching for the knowledge of that one move it just used. It is not so deep down -- it was just used, after all -- and it is not difficult to erect mental barriers, sealing the knowledge of that move off, at least temporarily.

The meowth is somewhat irritated at the mental intrusion, but it doesn't seem to have forgotten anything important, so it just gets on with the commands it was given. So Pay Day, eh? The meowth conjures some coins from ... hyperspace, maybe; presumably the same place it got that water from. But look at those coins -- no, the material, what is that -- oh, right, battle. The meowth, now holding coins which appeared from nowhere suddenly considers, "Wait, where do I throw these coins at?" The cave is dark, so it is perhaps not trivial to aim at the vulpix -- but then, the meowth just throws the coins at the vulpix's last known position. Of course, since the vulpix hasn't actually moved, the meowth manages something to the effect of a direct hit. If it's possible to call throwing a handful of coins pretty much at random a direct hit, in any case.

The vulpix is somewhat annoyed -- the meowth is throwing coins, is that an insult? -- but does not immediately charge at it or anything. No, the vulpix just forms a ball of ghostly fire at its muzzle, and shoots it off in the general direction of the meowth; the ball of fire flies slightly erratically, managing to barely miss the meowth by just a few meters, then falls to the ground, where it just glows. That is somewhat nice, perhaps -- now it is actually possible to see. It might keep away the grues, too.

The meowth is not displeased by this. After all, the vulpix did just manage to accomplish nothing at all, while lighting up the cave so that the two pokémon can actually see each other. Clearly the best thing to do now is to charge recklessly at the vulpix, seeking to deal as much damage as possible. That is the best option by far. So it manages to charge itself up which unhealthy amounts of energy and charges at the vulpix, now revealed by the light of both the failed Will-o-Wisp and by the meowth's own brightly-glowing body (although one would think that the pokémon would be blinded by that light), and then suddenly the air is filled with loud noises as the meowth hits one of the vulpix's back legs and keeps going and ... why is the vulpix sitting on the meowth's face.

The vulpix is by now actually quite annoyed (and really does not appreciate the feel of meowth face), and begins to wreath itself in flames, while the meowth hastily scambles away to prepare for another attack. Suddenly the vulpix starts to run at the meowth, and the meowth decides that's it is good timing for its own attack. The cave is bright for a moment as two brightly-lit pokémon attack each other.

Health 42%, Energy 74%; Water Pulse disabled (4 actions more).
Condition: I'm sure there was something I wanted to do, but what was it?
Executed: Pay Day ~ Double-Edge ~ Double-Edge

Health 27%, Energy 74%; -2 spa, +2 spe.
Condition: This isn't working.
Executed: Disable ~ Will-o-Wisp ~ Flare Blitz

Notes
  • turn order: vulpix (105), meowth (90)
  • disable a 2, so your generation change!
  • I no idea how long a disable. ... pathos or kusari, I can't tell which, suggested 4-7 actions, as in games. so this is your 3+ceil(d20/5) = 7.
  • pay day a crit; viki +$1.
  • will-o-wisp a miss.
  • vixie, I think you are out of favor with the rng.

Viki commands first for round 3.

Last edited:
Fuck strategy.

Double Edge until you can Last Resort; if you're statused or otherwise unable to use double-edge, Façade.

Last Resort / Façade / Double Edge ~ Last Resort / Façade / Double Edge ~ Last Resort / Façade / Double Edge

Okay, Altron, if any combination of three attacks there lands, you're done for. So let's do what we can to prevent that from happening while also giving us something of a favourable working condition. Protect and burning are right out, so let's try this: it'll be risky, but put on some swagger to confuse Chiepoo. Follow up with a power swap to keep the Meowth from abusing its attack boost, and to shed that rather bothersome SpA drop of your own. Finally, level the playing field with pain split.

Swagger ~ Power Swap ~ Pain Split

Health 42%, Energy 74%; Water Pulse disabled (4 actions more).
Commands: Swagger ~ Power Swap ~ Pain Split

Health 27%, Energy 74%; -2 spa, +2 spe.
Condition: This isn't working.
Commands: Last Resort / Façade / Double Edge ~ Last Resort / Façade / Double Edge ~ Last Resort / Façade / Double Edge

Round 3

The battlers once again have waited horribly long for this referee.

Upon being given the signal, the vulpix immediately begins to strut about, bragging about its own accomplishments and taunting its opponent -- perhaps hypocritically, considering how badly it has done so far in this battle, but no use telling the meowth as much. The intended effect is achieved, in any case -- the meowth, infuriated, lauches into the same unhealthily risky charge as in the previous round.

The vulpix, not yet quite finished, but reconizing that another one charge at the same power most probably would be the end of it, accepts its trainer's command to establish a mental link between itself and the meowth, and to take for itself the rage which drives the meowth to fight so hard, and replace it with its lingering exhaustion.

It is not quite enough. The meowth again charges; the vulpix collapses, and is recalled by its trainer in a flash of red light.

Health 33%, Energy 62%; confused (moderate), -2 spa.
Executed: Double-Edge ~ Double-Edge

Health 0%, Energy 66%; +2 atk, +2 spe.
Executed: Swagger ~ Power Swap

Notes
  • viki +$1.
  • no confusefail.
  • vixie for future reference vulpix learns confuse ray.

Vixie sends and commands, Viki commands for round 4.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom