• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggestion Box

To be honest -- while 5% recovery has always seemed stingy, time and again while reffing I've noticed that 10% energy on each Chill can be a pretty damned good boost. I mean, in any case there's always the fact that Chills can be partially or entirely disrupted, which is a vulnerability, although the latter requires the opponent to strategize ahead and the former depends on a kind of referee fiat that isn't always dealt down.

Myself in any case I seldom let "if you'd hit yourself in confusion do this" conditionals pass because it's literally impossible for the Pokémon to tell all things considered. And also, Chilling is a move like any other, and it's supposed to be fallible -- you should never get to Chill, at least not fully, when you wouldn't have been able to take action (which the specific exception of Sleep, where it was permitted as a flavor sense kind of thing and actually isn't so bad when considering that basically the only other options are Sleep Talk and nothing, although there should most likely be penalties to the amount restored anyway, specially for Rest sleep).

Nerfing direct recovery doesn't seem like a bad idea either. I suppose we can keep just Rest as healing a greater amount, since it has the added penalty of self-inflicted sleep, and it might even be a good idea to have Chilling fail in that particular kind of sleep.

I can't imagine letting "if you'd hurt yourself in your confusion" slide as a valid conditional, when the Pokemon is hurting itself as a result of attempting to carry out a conditional. Also I wouldn't allow Chilling during sleep, personally, but maybe that's just me

Nerfing direct recovery doesn't seem like a bad idea either. I suppose we can keep just Rest as healing a greater amount, since it has the added penalty of self-inflicted sleep, and it might even be a good idea to have Chilling fail in that particular kind of sleep.

Having Chill be possible during Rest doesn't really make sense even. "Hey, could you like relax a bit while you're already relaxing pretty freakin hard?"

I've already given my opinions on re/charge stuff elsewhere but yeah, that should be changed. I'd say chill is fine as it is and the two-turn moves are what need modification though.

If you rest ~ chill ~ chill you're still losing two actions. That's the primary cost, rather than the energy. And energy-wise it's only free for up to 40% healing, which is the same as the other recovery moves. In rest, you have very few choices for the next two actions and your healing happens over time, so at 40% healing any other direct recovery move is better unless you really need to get rid of statuses. Rest is, flavour-wise, different from sleep, but the mechanics of the other things you can do during it are the same (sleep talk, snore) so chill doesn't need an exception. Anyway, practically everything learns rest, so it balances itself because if you bring rest into the battle you've made it 108x as likely that your opponent is suddenly considering it too.

I allow chilling during sleep because it weakens sleep as a status, and it makes sense flavour-wise. Otherwise I think it's fine to make it so that if actions are going to fail, you can't conditionally chill in its place. Chilling especially doesn't need to be nerfed under normal conditions though - you're still losing an action, and turning hyper beam into a true two-action move to nullify the energy cost is pretty reasonable.

I ban direct healing because it's a pain in the ass to have battles drag on, more than balance stuff. I'm more likely to ref battles that ban or limit direct healing because this is just as true when you're a ref. That's not going to be much less true at 30% healing than 50% because the concern is that it could happen multiple times.

I ban direct healing because it's a pain in the ass to have battles drag on, more than balance stuff. I'm more likely to ref battles that ban or limit direct healing because this is just as true when you're a ref. That's not going to be much less true at 30% healing than 50% because the concern is that it could happen multiple times.
I'd argue that if it's a pain in the ass, it is a balance issue. If it takes a non-trivial amount of time to either damage the pokemon back to where they were or to force the pokemon to energy KO, especially given that a lot of battles have damage caps of 30% or 40%, then it probably needs to be nerfed so that recovery is merely a component of stalling, rather than a way to stall all on its own. Yes, Rest ~ Chill ~ Chill means you lose three actions, but in those three actions, you can very easily have restored beyond the damage cap and get enough energy back to either immediately do it again or to at least make it a hell of a lot longer and repetitive. You can potentially Uproar to keep them from sleeping, but that has a limited learnset and as you say, it's more likely to make your opponent consider Resting. Which does not lend itself towards entertaining battles.

Last edited:
Different note; double-posting again because ... yeah.

Can moon stones be changed to also work on Fairy moves? It's a little silly that it doesn't help either of the moves with Moon in their names. Having them not work on Normal moves would suck for skitty, though, and Fairy damaging moves are kind of rare, so I'd rather it not get changed to be Fairy-only.

That'd be fair and workable, sure.

It could also split the benfits, like, one type gets the damage boost and another gets the energy bonus. I'd have the former on Fairy moves and the latter on Normal ones.

I'd argue that if it's a pain in the ass, it is a balance issue. If it takes a non-trivial amount of time to either damage the pokemon back to where they were or to force the pokemon to energy KO, especially given that a lot of battles have damage caps of 30% or 40%, then it probably needs to be nerfed so that recovery is merely a component of stalling, rather than a way to stall all on its own. Yes, Rest ~ Chill ~ Chill means you lose three actions, but in those three actions, you can very easily have restored beyond the damage cap and get enough energy back to either immediately do it again or to at least make it a hell of a lot longer and repetitive. You can potentially Uproar to keep them from sleeping, but that has a limited learnset and as you say, it's more likely to make your opponent consider Resting. Which does not lend itself towards entertaining battles.

I agree. Perhaps someone should make a separate thread for proposals about balancing recovery? I would go ahead and do it, but I worry that'd be overstepping as someone who isn't league staff these days.

I'll go ahead and make it, but for future reference, anyone can make a thread in the ASB Meta forum.

ETA: I'll also go ahead and make one for the discussion on Chills.

Last edited:
Can moon stones be changed to also work on Fairy moves? It's a little silly that it doesn't help either of the moves with Moon in their names. Having them not work on Normal moves would suck for skitty, though, and Fairy damaging moves are kind of rare, so I'd rather it not get changed to be Fairy-only.

I dunno, all the stones only boost one type and having Moon Stone work with two is. Well, it's supported flavour-wise, but flavour is ultimately not what we base decisions on, and I think consistency and simplicity is more important. So I'd be inclined to have Moon Stone stay the way it is.

If you lower healing to 30%, it'd kinda be a cheaper healing, due to the lower energy costs. So it could technically make battles go on even longer.

Hey, uh, the Dread Plate's item description refers to Ghost type moves, when it should be Dark type moves.

I dunno, all the stones only boost one type and having Moon Stone work with two is. Well, it's supported flavour-wise, but flavour is ultimately not what we base decisions on, and I think consistency and simplicity is more important. So I'd be inclined to have Moon Stone stay the way it is.
I would like to point out that not only are Moonblast and Moonlight Fairy moves, but there's currently no item that raises the power of Fairy-type moves.

I do like MF's idea to make Moon Stones work on Fairy damage and Normal energy.

I would like to point out that not only are Moonblast and Moonlight Fairy moves, but there's currently no item that raises the power of Fairy-type moves.

I do like MF's idea to make Moon Stones work on Fairy damage and Normal energy.

Isn't Pixie Plate a thing?

Now that it's mentioned, I wouldn't mind if we made up a Poison Barb analogue for Fairy moves, too...

I mean, the fact that there is none in the games frustrates me profoundly. Hell, Pink Bow from Gen II is right there with the perfect excuse to be rehashed as something new but slightly different.

I mentioned to Zhorken a while ago that Polkadot Bow might be better, since the only way to get Polkadot Bows in Gen II was to trade over a Jigglypuff, which is now Fairy.

I'd much prefer we just make up an item and keep the moon stone the way it is. Splitting the bonus seems nonsensical, and it's inconsistent with the stones we already have.

The polkadot bow sounds great to me as a fairy type trinket.

Back
Top Bottom