• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Amazing Atheist!

No no no no no.

He spends all day on Reddit, copies Carlin and is basically a massive douche.
I figured id reiterate the SA thread about him since some of you might not be able to read it.

Oh, and he recorded videos giving himself coffee enemas to pick up girls on YouTube.

The Amazing Atheist doesn't have the charisma or speaking ability or whatever trait he would need to be as abrasive as he is and still keep me watching for very long. The bulk of his videos just aren't interesting, and then he'll puts out one where he's really anti-victims and I'm like "what"

TAA on how bullying isn't wrong, bullied people aren't victims, and people who commit suicide over it should be called weak

TAA on how feminism is misandry, women are too stupid to recognize that they already have equality

Last edited:
The Amazing Atheist doesn't have the charisma or speaking ability or whatever trait he would need to be as abrasive as he is and still keep me watching for very long. The bulk of his videos just aren't interesting, and then he'll puts out one where he's really anti-victims and I'm like "what"

TAA on how bullying isn't wrong, bullied people aren't victims, and people who commit suicide over it should be called weak

TAA on how feminism is misandry, women are too stupid to recognize that they already have equality

Agreed on all points. what is it with outspoken atheists and misogyny anyway?

There are a few that I listen to that are cool around women's issues(The folks at Living After Faith and Ask an Atheist to name a couple), but so many are just neckbeardy beyond belief.

Agreed on all points. what is it with outspoken atheists and misogyny anyway?

There are a few that I listen to that are cool around women's issues(The folks at Living After Faith and Ask an Atheist to name a couple), but so many are just neckbeardy beyond belief.
In my experience a lot of atheists, even if they don't self-identify as feminists, use feminist issues to criticise religion. For example, the enforcement of head coverings in Muslim communities, and the more subtle but every bit as insidious shaming of women's sexuality which is prevalent in almost every religion.

Whether they're genuinely committed to feminism or if they're simply looking for sticks with which to beat religion is another matter altogether. At least they're paying lip service to gender equality!

Internet atheists are a different breed entirely, I'll give you that.

I haven't noticed a tendency for loud antitheists to be any more misogynist than the rest of the population. :/

That's a good point. :T I guess it's just frustrating when it's the people who are supposed to be on your side who are acting like dicks.

Why are you guys getting your religious beliefs from people on the internet?
Or why do you care what random people say?
Why are you taking your arguments from them?

Why don't you, you know, read real philosophy. Read Aquinas and Augustine, think up the contradictions yourselves. Read some Kant and, hell, you should definitely go through Hume.

The thing about the internet is that it lets you espouse your beliefs without any qualifications, and that people who agree with you, even if it's for retarded reasons, will defend you rabidly.

A difference of opinions then.
You say it's the lack of a belief in a god, I say it's a belief that there is no god.
Semantics.

Saying atheism is a religion, religious belief, etc. is like saying "off" is a TV channel. It's the lack of belief.

... I don't think that analogy works for me, because I consider "channel zero" to be "off". For example, if someone were to ask me "What channel are you on?" while the TV's off, I'd say "channel zero". But I digress.

I believe Saith has a very interesting point. The lack of belief in a God and the belief of a lack of a God are two different concepts, the former being that one is agnostic, and the latter being that one is certain of the non-existence of a deity, ie the atheists who take their belief that there is no God religiously.

... I don't think that analogy works for me, because I consider "channel zero" to be "off". For example, if someone were to ask me "What channel are you on?" while the TV's off, I'd say "channel zero". But I digress.

I... what? You... you actually say that? I... um... but... huh? No, seriously, a channel is a streaming of media. Any channel is a difference in what is being streamed, let's say that's Islam for channel 20, and Scientology for 45, etc. When the TV is Off, it is not streaming anything, and therefore is not broadcasting any channels. Calling a lack of streaming Channel Zero is like walking out of a library without anything and claiming you're reading "Book Zero".

I believe Saith has a very interesting point. The lack of belief in a God and the belief of a lack of a God are two different concepts, the former being that one is agnostic, and the latter being that one is certain of the non-existence of a deity, ie the atheists who take their belief that there is no God religiously.

Hello I have a dictionary:

ag·nos·tic
   [ag-nos-tik] Show IPA
–noun
a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience. Synonyms: disbeliever, nonbeliever, unbeliever; doubter, skeptic, secularist, empiricist; heathen, heretic, infidel, pagan.
a person who denies or doubts the possibility of ultimate knowledge in some area of study.

a·the·ist
   [ey-thee-ist] Show IPA
noun
a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Conclusion: Your claims as to what the difference is between an atheist and agnostic is laughable, and entirely incorrect.

Back
Top Bottom