• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Best Monty Python film?

Read title.

• Holy Grail

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Life of Brian

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Meaning of Life

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • And Now For Something Completely Different

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • None

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Life Of Brian imo
followed by The Meaning Of Life (my avatar is cool)
and then Holy Grail

cue influx of people saying Holy Grail is the best

And Now For Something Completely Different isn't a movie >:(

anyway, Life of Brian. I am convinced all the people who say Holy Grail haven't seen any of the others.

And Now For Something Completely Different isn't a movie >:(

anyway, Life of Brian. I am convinced all the people who say Holy Grail haven't seen any of the others.
I've seen all. Life of Brian was a disappointment imo.

And And Now For Something Completely Different comes in the Monty Python Movies boxset, so...

Life of Brian (not "Brain", by the way). For a number of great reasons.

- Brian is actually sympathetic. Well, Arthur is too, to a degree, but Brian is more so. And he gets crucified, and we all know what that does to my opinion of him. :D
- It has a plot. Holy Grail feels like a collection of fairy-tale-like sketches loosely tied together by a red thread which ends up never really going anywhere. Life of Brian, aside from the random alien abduction scene, all hangs together into a film with a story (if a rather weird one).
- Its anticlimax is not quite as bad as Holy Grail's, mostly because it is more amusing. The first time I saw Holy Grail and that ending appeared, I just stared blankly at the screen and thought "Whut, that was lame." Give me a bunch of crucified guys singing about looking at the bright side of life over that any day. At least there was some sort of conclusion to it. (Yeah, call my sense of humour lacking, but satisfying endings are important to my overall enjoyment of things and even though the Monty Python movies in general are some of the most anticlimatic anything you can find, at least Life of Brian is not quite as bad.)
- Life of Brian is satire, meaning it has a very interesting intelligent point to it, unlike Holy Grail which is just silly. Silliness is fun and all, but Life of Brian is both silly and intelligent.
- Life of Brian is funnier. Honestly. At least I think so. They could make something as lame as the name 'Biggus Dickus' nearly send me rolling out of my chair with just how the scene was set up. That's true genius.

Not that I don't love Holy Grail too. I just like Life of Brian so much more. <3

I agree it's not a film, but if I could pick my favourite DVD of the four you mentioned, Something Different would be it.

I like Brian best if we're going by "actual films", and then Grail. I didn't really like Meaning of Life, but I haven't seen it in ages.

Life of Brian (not "Brain", by the way).
Sorry. Typo. *facepalm*
- Its anticlimax is not quite as bad as Holy Grail's, mostly because it is more amusing. The first time I saw Holy Grail and that ending appeared, I just stared blankly at the screen and thought "Whut, that was lame."
Agreed, I didn't get that at all...
- Life of Brian is satire, meaning it has a very interesting intelligent point to it, unlike Holy Grail which is just silly. Silliness is fun and all, but Life of Brian is both silly and intelligent.
Silliness is a massive part of Monty Python. True, intelligence is as well, and a mixture of the two, or something that seems like seriousness but turns out to be utterly ridiculous.
- Life of Brian is funnier. Honestly. At least I think so. They could make something as lame as the name 'Biggus Dickus' nearly send me rolling out of my chair with just how the scene was set up. That's true genius.
I think the exact opposite, really. Meh, not everyone has the same taste in humour.

The Life of Brian.

"I'm not the Messiah!"
"Only the Messiah would deny that he is the Messiah!"
"... Okay, I AM the Messiah!"
"HE'S THE MESSIAH!!"

Never seen Meaning of Life (couldn't find it at the library D:) or Something Different or most of the Flying Circus episodes, ugh.

I guess I liked Life of Brian more, but not by a whole lot. Then again, I do have the sense of humor of an eight year-old so rampant stupidity will usually make me laugh pretty hard anyway.

Back
Top Bottom