• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Please stop using joke pronouns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a thought: take the option away entirely and let's stop getting so caught up in what is nowadays a lesser detail.
How would this solve anything? There are people who identify as a specific gender and people who don't. Put the pronouns you accept. This is not hard.

Here's a thought: take the option away entirely and let's stop getting so caught up in what is nowadays a lesser detail.

it might be a lesser detail to you, but I think a lot of people still see gender as kind of a big deal, at least so you can easily refer to someone with a pronoun they're comfortable with! what exactly is difficult about putting an actual pronoun in a box that asks for a pronoun? people should be able to express what pronoun they prefer in their postbit for ease and clarity, and this shouldn't be taken away because some people feel the need to joke about it. if people can't use them properly, what exactly is bad about telling them off (and rightfully so) as opposed to removing the option entirely?

seriously guys, you have an avatar, a usertitle and a signature that already appears every time you post - be a hilarious special snowflake in those, and not in the one thing that people want to take seriously. on your profile, you can even put hilarious zany things in the bio! or in your photo albums! this shouldn't even be an issue. I really don't want to be a No Fun Police Mod, but ffs guys. it isn't hard. by putting jokes in the gender field you're making fun of something that's... actually a big deal to some people.

It sounds a bit extreme but why not make having a specific pronoun like having an HTML signature, in that one would have to apply for one?

it might be a lesser detail to you, but I think a lot of people still see gender as kind of a big deal, at least so you can easily refer to someone with a pronoun they're comfortable with! what exactly is difficult about putting an actual pronoun in a box that asks for a pronoun? people should be able to express what pronoun they prefer in their postbit for ease and clarity, and this shouldn't be taken away because some people feel the need to joke about it. if people can't use them properly, what exactly is bad about telling them off (and rightfully so) as opposed to removing the option entirely?

by putting jokes in the gender field you're making fun of something that's... actually a big deal to some people.

Because people will always be idiots, that's why.

Well apparently gender shouldn't be that big of a deal but one is being made out of it.

Although I don't like the self-righteous feel of the transgender community on this forum, I have to agree with their arguments here:

It's really not that hard to decide whether you want to be called he, she, it, something else entirely (not all up-and-up on other pronouns), or whether you really don't give a shit. If you feel you need to make jokes in that field, then you either have A. a really awful sense of humor or B. you're some kind of asshole or C. you're retarded or D. All of the above.

If you answered D, you're correct! Maybe you aren't so retarded after all.

I feel the pronoun field was a good solution to get people to stop bitching, and putting joke pronouns in the field will just cause more bitching. So, unless you want to be a drama-mongering whore, don't put a joke in the pronoun field.

tl;dr just put the serious thing you want to be called in the pronoun field and leave it at that. If you make jokes there you're an asswipe.

Oh God, thank you so much for addressing this ;w; I feel like I remember seeing some instances of that sort of joking around with the feature, myself, (though I couldn't point out any specific ones)... And I agree, it is pretty disrespectful to those who really make a big deal out of gender pronouns :/ Ah well, hopefully they'll wise up soon.

I'm sorry if I hurt anybody's feelings.

If you think "It" is pejorative (and thinking about it, it is) well we could find an universal and respectful pronoun for everybody on the forum, because honestly I don't like playing around made-up pronouns much.

The thing with respectful gender-neutral pronouns is that there are a lot of them to choose from. Hence a pronoun field. Is it honestly that difficult to follow whatever's in that field?

Yeah that's a terrible idea sorry.

Just pay attention to the field! Not that hard.

I really can't wrap my brain around why people have difficulty with this concept.

I really can't wrap my brain around why people have difficulty with this concept.

Isacc Newton said:
I can calculate the motions of the heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people.

Albert Einstein said:
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Voltaire said:
Common sense is not so common

Scarecrow (Wizard of Oz) said:
If I only had a brain...

Friedrich von Schiller said:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.

You're not alone.

If you have no use for the Pronoun field, ignore it. Just put in your gender with the Gender box instead.

He's probably confusing the pronoun drop-down box with "he", "she", "it" and "any" with a gender box. In which case I fully support the idea: most people identify as simply male or female, and if you're willing to identify as male or female there is absolutely no reason you can't just select "he" or "she" accordingly and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom